My server lost interest in GSF already.

Ashuranrx

Would it be balanced for you to be able to survive with 2-3 people on you?

No, I was just pointing out that simply trying to break LOS is often an inadequate tactic because the number enemies and their possible orientation towards your ship.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna just go ahead and take a guess here, that you haven't played a Scout before.

This kind of argument is like having some toon pop their CD's on you in a Warzone, then suggest they should be nerfed, because that class or spec should not be able to kill you.

It's important to note that GSF is not rock paper scissors. Any class ship can, and should be able to, take out any other class of ship in the game, let alone the same type.

Each class of ship has their own strengths and weaknesses. For all those complaining about Scouts, it's really pretty faceroll easy to kill Scouts with Strike Fighters or Gunships.

Of course I have a flashfire.

I wouldn't go off like I knew what I was talking about if I did not.

Too bad the only people posting here are pros, try asking a noob what they think in their un-upgraded ship of this, and look at reality, the abilities are GOOFY.

I can deal because I know what to expect, most other players, who of course aren't on here to post, do not.

I'm sorry you don't want your fav ship to get the nerf it deserves, but It's totally coming ;)

(If a sage could shoot 3 volleys of autocrit turbulence from within their magic immunity bubble you'd be up in arms, but if a scout does near the same thing, that's just part of the game and everyone should just suck it up and "LTP" right? ;))

Just gonna quote this so I don't have to retype the whole thing again...

Contrary to what some people think, Strikers are actually much better dog fighters than Scouts. It's much, much easier for a heftier Strike to hang out there with their stronger hulls and blast missiles at Scouts using their slower/steadier mobility. It takes a mere couple missiles and a few blaster shots to down a Scout.

As stated you want to be fighting at off angles in a striker and not coming at a Scout head on. While people think a Striker should be able to play chicken with a Scout, that plays right into a Scout's hand. As in order for them to achieve the best success with their burst build, they need targets that remain steady in their cross-hairs. They move fast and kill fast... A Striker moves slower and has to draw out a fight longer (meaning more than 3-6 seconds) and run the Scout out of their CDs.

If a target is moving at all, it takes longer for a Scout to get hits, thus wasting their CDs... Once they've been lured to blow their CDs, they're paper thin for a good 40 seconds or so, plenty of time to mow them down. Keep in mind, this is neither Top Gun, nor Rock, Paper, Scissors... Each fighter is designed to be able to take out others, but you have to be smart about playing to each other fighter's weaknesses.

Contrary to what some people think, Strikers are actually much better dog fighters than Scouts. It's much, much easier for a heftier Strike to hang out there with their stronger hulls and blast missiles at Scouts using their slower/steadier mobility. It takes a mere couple missiles and a few blaster shots to down a Scout.

Well if we're talking a dogfight that is a war of attrition of course the ship with the stronger defense is going to win. A scout is designed for hit and run tactics and it is quite capable of using those tactics. If someone flying a scout looses a war of attrition with a striker it's not because the striker is better suited to dogfighting but simply the scout let the striker dictate the fight and/or was trying to fly their scout as if they were in a striker.

Now granted the NovaDive is designed for recon, not space superiority, but it's simple balance that the trade off for recon abilities is some dogfighting capability. The Flashfire in my experience flying one (and against one) is that is quite capable of dogfighting as it is, according to the devs, specifically designed for ship to ship combat.

As stated you want to be fighting at off angles in a striker and not coming at a Scout head on. While people think a Striker should be able to play chicken with a Scout, that plays right into a Scout's hand. As in order for them to achieve the best success with their burst build, they need targets that remain steady in their cross-hairs. They move fast and kill fast... A Striker moves slower and has to draw out a fight longer (meaning more than 3-6 seconds) and run the Scout out of their CDs.

Please explain how it is logical that, against a ship like the striker, the intended tactic of the ship with noticeably weaker defenses is to fly right down the muzzle of their enemy's guns?

Based on my experiences of having scouts play chicken with my striker it's my impression that, in order for a scout to survive this kind of attack, they need to use distortion field or else they get ripped apart before they can do lethal damage (assuming we're starting off at a range beyond point blank). That distortion field is intended to allow scouts to play chicken with strikers with a reasonable degree of success seems suspect given that the in game description of the Flashfire states that they can't compete head-on against a striker.

The balance seems questionable at best when the ship with the weakest defenses can survive playing chicken with strikers that have much more powerful defenses to the point of using that as a tactic while at the same time (almost) everyone agrees that a scout will get ripped apart in short order if they get caught in a striker's sights for too long because of their weak defenses (and arguably playing chicken keeps any ship in their opponent's sights longer than any other tactic).

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

The balance seems questionable at best when the ship with the weakest defenses can survive playing chicken with strikers that have much more powerful defenses to the point of using that as a tactic while at the same time (almost) everyone agrees that a scout will get ripped apart in short order if they get caught in a striker's sights for too long because of their weak defenses (and arguably playing chicken keeps any ship in their opponent's sights longer than any other tactic).

Some key words here are quick and and "too long"... Because a Scout has better burst than a Striker, it needs to attack fast, finish fast, and get out fast, because any more than a few seconds fighting and it's toast. The Scout is good for burst and quick attacks, but not in sustained fights against a Striker and that's how they need to be played.

While Scouts can do quick burst damage, they can't hold up for any length of time if a dogfight persists more than a few seconds. And when devs say the Striker is more durable head to head, they would mean this in a statistical sense and not a literal sense, as Scouts (more so Flashfires) have greater burst, but only for a few seconds.

Because this is the case, Strikers need to come in on Scouts as odd angles, not head on, not leading directly in front, and not flying in straight lines, as this allows the Scout to get good damage in quick. Scouts need to be engaged at angles that force them not to shoot in straight lines, thus wasting a good portion of their inaccurate weaponry. If they waste their CDs this way, they become easy prey for a substantial period before their CDs come off cool down.

Each ship can be taken out easy, if one plays to those weakness, but if people play to the other fighters strengths and then proceed to come to the forum with issues, it's not really productive and doesn't help the game, or the players get better.

Edited by LeonBraun

Some key words here are quick and and "too long"... Because a Scout has better burst than a Striker, it needs to attack fast, finish fast, and get out fast, because any more than a few seconds fighting and it's toast. The Scout is good for burst and quick attacks, but not in sustained fights against a Striker and that's how they need to be played.

On this we agree, and if I implied that I question a scout's intended tactic as hit and run I appologize for that miscommunication.

While Scouts can do quick burst damage, they can't hold up for any length of time if a dogfight persists more than a few seconds. And when devs say the Striker is more durable head to head, they would mean this in a statistical sense and not a literal sense, as Scouts (more so Flashfires) have greater burst, but only for a few seconds.

Well I grant scouts have better burst but it does leave me scratching my head in bemusement that the ship with the weakest hull is intended to joust (and regularly win) against a ship that has noticeably stronger defense and is quite a capable dogfighter in its own right. Unless my memory is faulty this would be the first Star Wars game I've played where the intended tactic of scout class ship is to joust striker class ship.

I haven't had the opportunity to test this but if a scout uses a shield other that distortion shield (or without using distortion field's active ability) is possible for them to regularly succeed in winning jousts with strikers?

I ask because it is my impression that a scout will not have good odds of survival against a striker in head to head unless they use distortion field (at least my recollection is that scouts usually die playing chicken with me when I'm flying my striker unless they pop distortion field, barring pilot error on my part of course). I haven't mastered my Flashfire yet so I can't test the various shield components and their success/lack thereof when it comes to jousting.

It would seem significant if the only way for scouts to survive jousting is when using a single ability as that might indicate that being capable of jousting is not the intention of the devs (logically if they are meant for jousting they should be able to do this with any defensive build and do so without a defensive active ability, albeit not as successfully as when that ability is ready). Witness how strikers are well suited to wars of attrition regardless of defensive build (with the exception of charged platting, but I have yet to hear anyone claim that is a good component so I think that can be chalked up to poor component design/implementation) and don't need to use an active ability to succeed (although naturally a defensive active ability makes it easier).

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

firstly upgrades dont take long to get, secondly they dont determine winner skill is what matters and good teamwork.

perhaps alot of your sub players have gont f2p/preferred etc, matybe they just dont like gsf, perhaps theres more f2p on your server than alot of others. on my server red eclipse it pops most times in seconds to max of 2mins normally and thats most times of the day.

suggestion,

roll a gsf specific char on another server, can start gsf from starter planet dont need to be level 10 etc.

if you do this and every so often keep checking on ya main server for any improvment in pop times, bare in mind during Jan preferred players have access, then feb the f2p guys get access.

i love gsf and can just sit in one spot with game popping almost instant most times.

Good luck hope it improves for you.

• 3 weeks later...
On my server Jung Ma, people lost interest in GSF already. During prime time at night, it takes 15+ minutes to get a GSF pop. And they are not full 12v12 games either. Most of them are 8v8 games.

It's not GSF, it's your server. Jung Ma is dead. That's why me and my guild left it. GSF is alive and well on Bergeron Colony.

It's not GSF, it's your server. Jung Ma is dead. That's why me and my guild left it. GSF is alive and well on Bergeron Colony.

I've been playing on Jung Ma and GSF has been popping every 2-8 minutes the past week at all hours of the day/night.. Of course every server will get more action because of the prefs being able to play now.

Oh please,

1) this is a necro

2) I just spent the last three hours getting back to back GSF pops on Jung Ma

3) if all you care about is server populations then I'm glad your gone.

On my server Jung Ma, people lost interest in GSF already. During prime time at night, it takes 15+ minutes to get a GSF pop. And they are not full 12v12 games either. Most of them are 8v8 games.

Not surprising considering this is a complete and utter ripoff of arathi basin but in space. That was a horribly crap game mode in WoW and it's still a horribly crap game mode in SWTOR.

Really BW, STOP TAKING IDEAS FROM WOW! If i wanted to play pvp like in that game guess what, I'D RESUB TO WOW!

I certainly wouldn't look at MMO's that does a p*ss poor job copying an otherwise already crap pvp system.

Oh and whoever it was that came up with the bright idea to rip off world of tanks paid xp transfer, fire him. Don't give a 2 weeks notice, call security and kick his *** out!

Not surprising considering this is a complete and utter ripoff of arathi basin but in space. That was a horribly crap game mode in WoW and it's still a horribly crap game mode in SWTOR.

Really BW, STOP TAKING IDEAS FROM WOW! If i wanted to play pvp like in that game guess what, I'D RESUB TO WOW!

I certainly wouldn't look at MMO's that does a p*ss poor job copying an otherwise already crap pvp system.

Oh and whoever it was that came up with the bright idea to rip off world of tanks paid xp transfer, fire him. Don't give a 2 weeks notice, call security and kick his *** out!

I don't disagree that tor copies a lot from other games, but since when does wow have a z axis?

Hopefully free-to-play will bring in even more pilots, so we have more than just Ebon Hawk and POT5 with decent que times.
Queue times on The Harbinger are just fine. Except for times like right now where it's bugged and no games are popping at all.

Depending on the time of day, your either in the rotation or your not but what faction you play seems to see alot of losses when the starfighter guilds get on. I know I will never leave my guild to play starfighter in a specfic guild but I can gurantee out of the 95 active members in my guild only 3 of us actually play it at all. So I end up usually just solo queing and losing alot that I now only play for my 1-2 matchs for daily.

Depending on the time of day, your either in the rotation or your not but what faction you play seems to see alot of losses when the starfighter guilds get on. I know I will never leave my guild to play starfighter in a specfic guild but I can gurantee out of the 95 active members in my guild only 3 of us actually play it at all. So I end up usually just solo queing and losing alot that I now only play for my 1-2 matchs for daily.

To my knowledge there are zero starfighter guilds on Jung Ma, we have our groups but they all hail from different guilds.

If you are still not convinced that the ships' power is not a factor, then I dare all of you experienced pilots to que on alts with few or no upgrade ships as a group, sync your que against your friends with fully upgraded ships, and you will see the difference. It is easy to do, just make level 1 alts on the opposing faction and sync your que against each other on a off peak time.

I play on both Imp and Rep side on my server. My Imp ships are considerably less equiped than my Rep ships. I still dominate.

A major problem with GSF is that it just isn't that engaging.

For whats involved there is little to keep people coming back unless its to grind out the requisition to improve your ship. If the work out weighs any advantage gained then only people that find the experience fun will bother queuing and that will be fewer and fewer people as pre-mades or gun ships or bombers or simply being matched with worse pilots or against far better so players just figure its not any fun.

There needed to be a PvE element where people could practice, there also needed to be more tie into the rest of the game. As it stands GSF could be completely ignored and you wouldn't know it when playing the game. So unless its fun and engaging in its own right the only other option is for BW to make it a gear grind to get players to keep logging on long over the a mouse controlled flight sim has become dull.

I lost interest when I learned there was NO flight controller support... I have NO desire to play without my joystick... which is too bad, I really wanted to play. The Devs sure screwed up BADLY on this one.

No, everyone has mouse and keyboard. Other controllers tend to be stronger then mouse and keyboard, so they don´t allow other controls. End of the game. Same goes for WoP and other Flight MMOs.

Plus, a joystick wouldn´t make you better. Most people complaining tend to sit in the bottom three of a match^^