SWTOR and Razor products

Obilam

Hi,

I am thinking of investing some credits in one or two Razor products and was wondering how they perform ingame.

The two I am thinking of are a mouse and possible a gamepad.

I won't link them as I am not sure if I am allowed too, but you can search these two names.

Razor Nostromo Expert Keypad

Razor Naga Molten or Hex

I was hoping for some feedback from anyone that uses both/either.

Do they work well individually?

Do they work well together?

Can the control pad on the Nostromo be used to move the character (in all directions)?

Is 12 buttons for a thumb to much?

Can they be used in conjunction with shift, cntrl etc?

Are maxros allowed in game? If so, is the macro program good?

Regards

Obilam

if you are buying the SWTOR Razer products, know that the colour crystal that comes with it is no longer active. Those promotions expired over a year ago.

Personally I suggest the new 2014 Razer Mouse which has a wider grip and mechanical side keys, Razer mechanical keyboard with macro buttons on the left side, and the new Nostro.

Edited by illgot

The Razor macros are in the set not a seperate program therefore allowed.

THanks for all the replies guys..... some more feedback on if they work well would be great, as well as working as a combination....

In relation to the quote above, can you please advise what you mean by 'in the set..'.

Does this mean that I can, for example, set a macro to shield my companion and then send him into attack?

Are there sets of macros that are not allowed?

*edit*

I don't want to turn this into a macro discussion as I am normally terrible at this sorta stuff, but as it's a feature I'd like to know about it.

Edited by Obilam

Are maxros allowed in game?

Strictly speaking, no. The policy is that one actuation of a key produces one in-game action, and it is also limited to each key always producing the same action (although that's officially a "grey area"). If you do "more", you risk summary combustion.

Check out this thread for more information: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6459160

TL;DR: It is allowed to, e.g., map Ctrl+Alt+Shift+A to a single button, but you are not allowed to do things like auto-fire, auto-timing, or playing back key sequences in a simulation of NerfedButtons.

Sounds like you're a fan then :)

Can you possibly expand on how you use it? Do you use all 12 buttons in combination with shift/cntrl etc?

Regards

Just think of the side buttons as shortcuts for the actual keys on the keyboard.

I suggest you buy a regular 2014 Naga and a Mechanical Keyboard. Dont bother with the nostromo.

Just a side note though - If you intend to play FPS games with the naga don't expect any good results, which is why i have another mouse to switch out when im playing FPS.

And please dont buy that overpriced razer keyboard with the touchscreen at the side. Save up for a 2nd monitor instead.

Edited by micnevv

I have used a nostromo for years, prior to Razor making them and I am a proponent of it. The thumb stick is great check some of the YouTube reviews of it if you have questions. I also use a Naga mouse which I don't think I could play without my first one last over 2-3 hundred hours of play time till I bought a new one. I wish the light was still blue in it. No they aren't required but they are nice to have.

There are some older threads around here about both products if you search you can find some in depth convo about them.

Happy New Year

So... first. I think it is safe to say that almost everyone who uses a Razer Naga for any length of time gets hooked on that mouse. That has been my experience personally and the same has been true for all of my friends who use the mouse. There is a little bit of a learning curve as you get use to it, but after a very short period of time you will wonder how you played with out it.

As for the Nostromo, I personally went with the Orbweaver. It is an updated Nostromo but it is a better build and is has more keys. Generally speaking is a better quality game pad but you pay a bit more for it. However, I would say this is strictly optional. I use the Orbweaver with conjunction with the Naga and don't use my keyboard at all aside from chat. I love the setup, but I have so many possible key bindings it really is over kill. The Naga fits the bill for just about everything you could need.

Last, yes, go with the 2014 Naga. The old ones are still being sold so becareful. You want the mechanical keys because they are bigger and you feel the click when you activate them. Also the default grip is good and ergonomic.

As for macros... I don't use them. Don't need too. With so many key bindings at my disposal Macros seem redundant.

thanks for all the replies.....

So it seems the Naga is a must have, so I'll get that ordered this evening (hopefully some sales somewhere).

In relation to the keypads, perhaps I'll see how I get on with the Naga first. I think I have an older gaming keyboard somewhere that has an additional section for FPS/MMO setups.... ie similar to the keypad but built into the keyboard.

I'll do a better search for the older threads about the two also.

Regards

Obilam

I have used a nostromo for years, prior to Razor making them and I am a proponent of it. The thumb stick is great check some of the YouTube reviews of it if you have questions. I also use a Naga mouse which I don't think I could play without my first one last over 2-3 hundred hours of play time till I bought a new one. I wish the light was still blue in it. No they aren't required but they are nice to have.

There are some older threads around here about both products if you search you can find some in depth convo about them.

Happy New Year

What?

I have thousands of hours of gameplay on my razer naga (blue light) and its still functioning perfectly

In relation to the quote above, can you please advise what you mean by 'in the set..'..

Well you were asking about the keyboard and mouse, this is the "Set" I was referring too, and the Macros are integrated into the devices, so when you press the button the mouse or keyboard does the work, and not a program running on the computer. Now if the macro was a program running on the computer, then it would violate the EULA technically, but whether EA would enforce that is another matter (but don't assume they won't either).

Sounds like you're a fan then :)

Can you possibly expand on how you use it? Do you use all 12 buttons in combination with shift/cntrl etc?

Regards

That is absolutely how I use it! And it makes (for me anyway) the dreaded Alt+# a much easier combo. Plus I have my push to talk button for mumble/vent on mouse button 4 which takes away less left hand clutter. My left hand rarely leaves the W,A,S,D anymore and no longer mis striking the right side of the numbers (7-=) with my stretched left hand.

And if you play any moba's like LoL or Smite you no longer need the left hand to even play games like that. The $140 for the swtor mouse (naga) is without a doubt one of the best purchases I've made!

Edited by Yuppy

I just want to say, a few years back, I bought a Naga on a whim, now all of my peripherals some how ended up being Razer products, funny how that happens....

Yeah Razer generally has good quality build products. My only problem with them have been with headsets.

Best thing to do OP, is go to a local electronics store that sells both and try them out in the store. My local nerd shop has both and I got a chance to try them out outside of the packaging. The Razer Naga was a better fit. And now with the mechanical buttons is is much better IMO.

I use the G600 and prefer it to my old naga. I retired my old naga after I got sick of the pointer freezing and double clicking issues. And most of all, my naga side buttons were too small for my massive thumb, I usually ended up pushing a couple of buttons at once. The G600 side buttons are a much better fit for me.