Anti social much?

Machshoot

It always amazes me how many people can be anti-social in an MMORPG, when the very nature of the game is to be immersed in an online experience with other people. I don't know if this is every server, but it blows my mind when you can be on a planet that has 60-90 players currently there, yet chat is absolutely vacant for hours on end.

Back when I played WoW, I was on a high pop PvP server, and chat was always going, no matter which zone you were in. You could be in Icecrown with 10 people and everyone is chatting, yet it's definitely not like this in TOR. It bugs me a little, as part of the reason I play MMO's is for the social aspect of it, and when a game doesn't have that, I get discouraged.

Anyways my point is, you're playing an MMO, be social, be active, don't be a hermit.

Anti social.Thats bull.Some are using their time on to play the game...oh noes it is a Mmo so they are suppose to post all the time.I bought the game despite it being a MMO.I bought the game due to the story.You want to chat..go to Fleet..that is 24/7 people posting:eek:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the sewer-grade quality of general chat where it is present, I find those worlds that lie in stillness, silence and solitude to be very welcoming places.

well said.

I pick quality over quantity every time.

wow isn't a mmo I would ever use as an example of having a quality chat, especially on a pvp server.

silence over the endless banter of the same chuck Norris jokes hours on end makes one just not use general chat but also turning it off completely. this games general isn't any better.

because of this I have vent running for chatting with guildies. pushing one button talking sure beats typing any day. also the chat is much cleaner, informative and entertaining.

I am far less social in this game than I have been in other MMOs such as WoW because of the lack of chat bubbles. Other players are like mute NPCs to me.

I never bother with the normal chat because it usually is just a bunch of trolls and idiots that fill it with drivel. But this is not only the case for SWTOR, it is like that with every MMO these days.

I am far less social in this game than I have been in other MMOs such as WoW because of the lack of chat bubbles. Other players are like mute NPCs to me.

I never bother with the normal chat because it usually is just a bunch of trolls and idiots that fill it with drivel. But this is not only the case for SWTOR, it is like that with every MMO these days.

Want to know why?

Because of the first game you listed.

I tend to ignore chat altogether in any MMO I play simply because it's usually filled with trolls and racists. But one thing the OP hasn't really taken into consideration is just how truly god awful the SWTOR community is. It rivals Tera with the amount of griefers it has.

And it's not just online either. I encountered a lot of SWTOR players in real life during the midnight launch of the game in 2011 at Best Buy. Some of the rudest,anti-social people I've ever met. Not sarcasm. Naturally, this has carried over into the game itself.

There are other bad communities out there as well, to be sure. But SWTOR's is bad in a different way. Here, it's overtly nerdy. One other poster said it best: MMO gamers (who are by nature absolutely terrible) and Star Wars fans. It truly is a hive of scum and villainy.

OP, I think it has been covered here.

Gen chat can be vile. In fact, I would go as far as to argue that the trolls and spammers on gen chat are antisocial. No need to engage them.

Next, there are many ways to be social in an MMO and this game. You have guild chat, VoIP, group chat, private channels, etc. etc. You don't need to participate in gen chat to prove you are social.

Last, Quesh is a bad example. The planet is sparse when it comes to quests compared to other planets and is certainly not an attractive place to be. In fact, I will generalize and say that most people going through Quesh are powering through with due diligence to get off that ugly rock. There is less of a desire to spend time on gen chat on Quesh because: 1. You aren't there long. 2. The planet is not an inviting place to hang out.

I, personally, will socialize in gen chat on occasion. I don't hang out there for the reasons already stated. That does not make me or anyone else antisocial.

Accurate assessment, on all points, IMO.

And for most "social" players.. in general.. their social channels of communication are NOT general chat. So any discussion about players being anti-social because they do not engage general chat is completely misplaced IMO.

I would say it is much more accurate to state that general chat is precisely where much of the actual antisocial behaviors do in fact take place in MMOs. Yeah... it did not used to be that way....but after a decade of WoW in the genre...general chat has largely been socially reprogramed to be spurious and of little actual social value in the genre.

Edited by Andryah

I'm a hermit.

I keep to myself, keep the chat bar religiously closed outside of flashpoints and ops, I have social settings set to decline all guild invites, trades and party invites.

It's a question of preference. I don't like people so I choose to associate with them as little as humanly possible, and I feel that's fair enough.

Now to address the fact that you cited the game being an MMO as reason enough for everyone to be on chat, may I remind you that the IP has come from an exclusively single player series, and many of the players are fans of said series. Furthermore, the storyline itself is story-driven and can be said to have a highly single-player slant, although it can be enjoyed in groups as well just as easily.

All that aside, the point is, people will play however they damn well please regardless of how you personally feel about it.

This is pretty much me to the tee! I am a KOTOR fan hence why i play swtor,honestly not really a fan of mmo's rather play single player games but that's not an option to get my KOTOR fix. But thx to this game I fell in love with healing and play a healer almost exclusively and stuck to this game way longer than any other mmo i have tried. But im anti social in real life also and dont really like people. But im aware most play mmo's to chat and play less which is kool if that's your thing. in my opinion who cares long as your having fun right

Yeah im anti social.

Ive tried out a couple guilds but the story is always the same. The "A" team on the guild plays together and does all the content, and the stragglers who arent on the "A" team barely do anything together and are only asked to join for content when one of the "A" teamers is out for the night.

They would ask me to fill in for stuff, but only when other options were unavailable it seemed.

Which is a shame, because im a pretty decent player, and have a lot to offer guilds, but at this point I really dont need them at all...

I already have 16 lvl 55s - one of each AC on both factions.

All my crafting skills are at 450, and I have a stockpile of mats so while leveling never needed gear assistance of any kind.

I played the game since very early closed beta, so have done most all the content I can achieve solo, seen every story, done every planet mission, every heroic, etc.

I have several high valor characters and mainly PvP with all my in game time nowdays.

I have a full roster of half upgraded GSF ships on both empire and repub toons.

So, I have the building blocks of being a good guildmate, but really never found a fit, and at this point I really dont "need" anyone for anything in the game, its more of a situation where we meet as equals and do stuff together, rather than me being some satellite player in your guild who only gets noticed when the "A" teamers are gone and the other 7 people still have lockouts to burn.

Im at the point though, where PvP isnt even much fun so Im mainly playing GSF right now... which I can also see being more fun in a team.

The main issue is its difficult to find competent teammates outside of "A" teams, and im not interested in being the best player on a mediocre team, I just want 3 goods to run with at this point.

Also, i find PVE raids and OPs to be boring after the 2-3rd run, so the longevity isnt there for raiding. All I really need is a few good friends, which, sadly I havent managed to cultivate even after all this time playing (the few I had have left)

I might look for a guild soon, I just want to be appreciated and not relegated to the fringe group who doesnt get included to do anything.

Yeah im anti social.

Ive tried out a couple guilds but the story is always the same. The "A" team on the guild plays together and does all the content, and the stragglers who arent on the "A" team barely do anything together and are only asked to join for content when one of the "A" teamers is out for the night.

They would ask me to fill in for stuff, but only when other options were unavailable it seemed.

Which is a shame, because im a pretty decent player, and have a lot to offer guilds, but at this point I really dont need them at all...

I already have 16 lvl 55s - one of each AC on both factions.

All my crafting skills are at 450, and I have a stockpile of mats so while leveling never needed gear assistance of any kind.

I played the game since very early closed beta, so have done most all the content I can achieve solo, seen every story, done every planet mission, every heroic, etc.

I have several high valor characters and mainly PvP with all my in game time nowdays.

I have a full roster of half upgraded GSF ships on both empire and repub toons.

So, I have the building blocks of being a good guildmate, but really never found a fit, and at this point I really dont "need" anyone for anything in the game, its more of a situation where we meet as equals and do stuff together, rather than me being some satellite player in your guild who only gets noticed when the "A" teamers are gone and the other 7 people still have lockouts to burn.

Im at the point though, where PvP isnt even much fun so Im mainly playing GSF right now... which I can also see being more fun in a team.

The main issue is its difficult to find competent teammates outside of "A" teams, and im not interested in being the best player on a mediocre team, I just want 3 goods to run with at this point.

Also, i find PVE raids and OPs to be boring after the 2-3rd run, so the longevity isnt there for raiding. All I really need is a few good friends, which, sadly I havent managed to cultivate even after all this time playing (the few I had have left)

I might look for a guild soon, I just want to be appreciated and not relegated to the fringe group who doesnt get included to do anything.

i know exactly how you feel when it comes to the "A" team! An because of that when i finally did get on the "A" team i was always a big supporter of running casual runs on off nights for people that didn't or couldn't do progression and just wanted to raid just to raid

This is pretty much me to the tee! I am a KOTOR fan hence why i play swtor,honestly not really a fan of mmo's rather play single player games but that's not an option to get my KOTOR fix. But thx to this game I fell in love with healing and play a healer almost exclusively and stuck to this game way longer than any other mmo i have tried. But im anti social in real life also and dont really like people. But im aware most play mmo's to chat and play less which is kool if that's your thing. in my opinion who cares long as your having fun right

I'm anti social too. I don't like going out, I don't like being around people. I make exceptions to people I trust and family but other than that I like to be on my own. On SWTOR I talk to guildies on Mumble but I don't talk I general and vary rarely talk in groups at all. That is my way and I am not hurting anyone. If for example I'm in an op I'll speak but I won't make a chat of it. That is my way, and I am not hurting anyone. Op get off your high horse and stop being so judgemental.

I'm anti social too. I don't like going out, I don't like being around people. I make exceptions to people I trust and family but other than that I like to be on my own. On SWTOR I talk to guildies on Mumble but I don't talk I general and vary rarely talk in groups at all. That is my way and I am not hurting anyone. If for example I'm in an op I'll speak but I won't make a chat of it. That is my way, and I am not hurting anyone. Op get off your high horse and stop being so judgemental.

Yeah, I used to talk in Vent with my guild all the time, but there's been so much drama in our guild. Some people left to make another guild, but then some people left that guild to make another guild, but then that guild failed so people went back to the second guild, but now that's failing... And it all turns into factions and people talking behind each other's backs and having to take sides.

Sometimes it is just way too stressful and way too much drama. Keeping quiet can be nice for stressless gameplay. I don't play TOR to get MORE stressed.

i know exactly how you feel when it comes to the "A" team! An because of that when i finally did get on the "A" team i was always a big supporter of running casual runs on off nights for people that didn't or couldn't do progression and just wanted to raid just to raid

The "A" team is overrated, after a few months of having to log on 3 days a week (or whatever the raid schedule is for that guild) it always starts to feel suspiciously like work to me.

On that tangent, the only drama-free guild is the guild with no members,

/signed!

Edited by Callaron

The "A" team is overrated, after a few months of having to log on 3 days a week (or whatever the raid schedule is for that guild) it always starts to feel suspiciously like work to me.

Totally agree. After a 50 hour workweek the last thing i need is a raid schedule so im not looking to ever be on an "A" team, nor would i ever progression raid- it just aint my thing, however, the guilds I have been in seem to only have the "A" team in vent doing "A" team things and the other members generally arent doing anything together at all.. The "A" team guys only team with each other and run all the dailies and do all the events and the other people are all strangers to each other.

People who arent that social arent going to drum up teams and lead events and whatnot. Generally I think we would just be happy being included once in a while. Especially when it comes to events and daily mission groups - thats the perfect time to get to know other members of the guild rather than just teaming with the 7 other people you know are going to get the stuff done fastest.

So things like the HK pieces, the Gree event, the rak event, datacron runs, etc. seem like the perfect time to include the less social and known members of the guild, but from my experience The "A" team guys were busy being first! together to bother taking along the rest of the guild they recruited outside their group of 7 irl friends who are the "A" team.

Shy people and socially stunted people already feel like they are in the way alot, so dont generally ask, they wait to be asked.

Anyways, just trying to share some insight on why some people arent as social or guilded in the game. Some flowers require more care to get them to bloom.

Totally agree. After a 50 hour workweek the last thing i need is a raid schedule so im not looking to ever be on an "A" team, nor would i ever progression raid- it just aint my thing, however, the guilds I have been in seem to only have the "A" team in vent doing "A" team things and the other members generally arent doing anything together at all.. The "A" team guys only team with each other and run all the dailies and do all the events and the other people are all strangers to each other.

The guild should have people doing stuff, even if they aren't in the A team, if the guild is totally focused on just the A team, then the guild leader isn't doing his job, he should be out there encouraging people to do raids and warzones and heroics together, and helping lower level players, that's part of the job.

Anyways my point is, you're playing an MMO, be social, be active, don't be a hermit.

I don't mind hermits. Hermits are nice people, they don't get in my way, I don't get in their way, everyone's happy. It's the people who think the world revolves around them that are the problem, the ****** extroverts who insist on making general chat a cesspool of fæces-flinging and trying to ruin the game for everyone else.

♥ you hermits, you're alright.

I only use general chat if I see someone needs help.

Honestly there is much racism or just trolling conversations that I often turn chat off.

I do admit that will play the bacon game or the game where people rename movies by putting the word jawa in it.

Oh look more misuse of the term anti-social. Being anti-social has nothing to do with talking to others. People who are anti-social do not follow social norms or laws that normal people in society do.

Now, what you are referring to is introversion. One who is an introvert may tend to avoid social interaction. Most people who tend to play MMOs or just games in general are probably introverts, so that might explain why there is a lack of communication on the chat.

Personally, I am an introvert and I chat sparingly, but if I see an interesting discussion going on in chat, then I may jump in. I only really enjoy communicating with people I know very well in real life and I take that same approach to MMOs. Don't like it? I am what I am.

I'm a bit uneducated about this game. I PVP quite a bit and haven't really done flashpoints. So, that in itself makes me nervous about starting to tank. So sometimes in general chat, if people are asking game questions, if i don't know the answer, there is no point in answering. If it is general chat about whatevs, I'll usually chime in. I mean, why not? I've had some entertaining chats... usually in Hoth.

It always amazes me how many people can be anti-social in an MMORPG, when the very nature of the game is to be immersed in an online experience with other people. I don't know if this is every server, but it blows my mind when you can be on a planet that has 60-90 players currently there, yet chat is absolutely vacant for hours on end.

Back when I played WoW, I was on a high pop PvP server, and chat was always going, no matter which zone you were in. You could be in Icecrown with 10 people and everyone is chatting, yet it's definitely not like this in TOR. It bugs me a little, as part of the reason I play MMO's is for the social aspect of it, and when a game doesn't have that, I get discouraged.

Let's get two things straight first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-social_behavior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asociality

You're welcome.

Online gaming has seen more and more immature gamers over time, I never thought it was perfect but is definitely worse than I've ever seen it. I believe society increasingly doesn't care about manners or consequences in RL and this is translating further into the risk free anonymity of the internet.Swtor is an easy mmo. It gives more people more time to act like a jerk in my opinion. I worry what the future holds.

I wouldn't worry about the future. It's just Internet keyboard warrior stuff. Most people have empathy and are altruistic in nature.

The sheer amount of cutscenes in SWTOR do not promote chat. Our guild was very quiet in the early days as everyone was levelling.

If you belong to a good guild you also ignore general. I created a guild chat tab and barely look at anything else to be honest. I did stray on to my general tab last time I was on Dromund Kaas and if I repeated any of what I read there here I would get banned lol. With a couple of kids running around and liable to watch what I'm doing, its far safer to restrict myself to guild chat.

I only use general chat if I see someone needs help.

Honestly there is much racism or just trolling conversations that I often turn chat off.

I do admit that will play the bacon game or the game where people rename movies by putting the word jawa in it.

Trouble is most of those are not funny. Being boring is the ultimate general chat sin. I don't care what kind of vile putrescence someone spews forth if they are at least somewhat entertaining (even lame "yer mom" jokes earn a small crack of a smile just because of their over-the-top stupidity). But "boring, humorless and self-important" is the ticket to my ignore list.