[SPOILERS FOR ALL OF JK, JC STORIES AND REVAN NOVEL] Can somebody explain this to me?

Rykko

Here I am the prophecied Jedi Knight who is the only one capable of resisting the Emperor's will as foreseen by Scourge and leading him to betray Revan and The Exile to wait for me and me alone to defeat the Emperor.

Even then I need a Force ghost to snap me out of it.

Yet somehow Kira Carsen says "I am a Jedi" and breaks the Emperor's hold over her, presumably resisting his will in the process?

Even Jedi Master Bakarn proves incapable of this feat when a mere Padawan manages it and he insists he must be guarded and fight every day to resist the Emperor's will (until the JK defeats the Emperor of course).

Don't even get me started on Satele Shan reassuring me that depsite not sensing anything in either Kira or Bakarn beforehand, it's safe to keep Kira on board my ship even after Carsen makes an attempt on my life.

Not that I mind taking T7 but why can't Kira come with me to face the Emperor if she has already shown the ability to resist him?

Or did I simply find a massive plot hole that makes a nonsense of 2 class stories and a novel?

Well, Syo was a child of the Emperor and we have seen in the Jedi Consular storyline that these individuals have a special mean of covering their dark side presence fully and efficiently. Plus, he was not only a fully trained Child but was also The First Son, the most powerful (and submissive to the Emperor) of the Children, so yeah, the Emperor's inffluence took its toll and it would be easy for Syo to slip up and give in to it again.

As for Kira I've wondered that myself, and I came to conclude that she was able to break the Emperor's control because she did not effectively became a Child, she didn't finish her "training" and she was also very strong-headed and strong in the force too (she was able to feel Master Kiwiiks from across a planet).

The fact that Orgus Din helped you break free from the Emperor's control only proves your strengh of will and within the force, for becoming/interacting with a force ghost isn't really simple. And if you broke free once, you'd be able to do it again since you learned how (holding on to something stronger than the dark side influence, like Orgus Din' light side presence), therefore you are immune to the Emperor's control. Kira broke free of his will, but she wouldn't be able to resist a face-to-face conflict like the Jedi Knight can because that's a different kind of mind control.

Plus, the Emperor is weaker now than he was when Revan faced him, so that makes things a bit easier.

Well, Syo was a child of the Emperor and we have seen in the Jedi Consular storyline that these individuals have a special mean of covering their dark side presence fully and efficiently. Plus, he was not only a fully trained Child but was also The First Son, the most powerful (and submissive to the Emperor) of the Children, so yeah, the Emperor's inffluence took its toll and it would be easy for Syo to slip up and give in to it again.

As for Kira I've wondered that myself, and I came to conclude that she was able to break the Emperor's control because she did not effectively became a Child, she didn't finish her "training" and she was also very strong-headed and strong in the force too (she was able to feel Master Kiwiiks from across a planet).

The fact that Orgus Din helped you break free from the Emperor's control only proves your strengh of will and within the force, for becoming/interacting with a force ghost isn't really simple. And if you broke free once, you'd be able to do it again since you learned how (holding on to something stronger than the dark side influence, like Orgus Din' light side presence), therefore you are immune to the Emperor's control. Kira broke free of his will, but she wouldn't be able to resist a face-to-face conflict like the Jedi Knight can because that's a different kind of mind control.

Plus, the Emperor is weaker now than he was when Revan faced him, so that makes things a bit easier.

Exactly! :)

Edited by The_Grover

Kira shrugged off his influence/connection while he was billions of miles away. She didn't trust herself in a face-off. It's not really an inconsistency.

T-7 should have been useless though because force users could control objects much more easily than people - at least that's how it seemed in IV-VI.

Considering how bloody easy the Emperor destroyed T3 in Revan, T7 shouldn't have lasted that long lore-wise. It would've been interesting to bring Kira along instead considering the history she had with the Emperor, but I think the story does a reasonable job explaining why she can't come and does a good job with her special rescue scene before the final fight.

Which reminds me... why doesn't Revan look anything at all like he did from KOTOR?

Granted it's a different game, but considering they're both Bioware products it would have been nice to see, even if the Revan from SWTOR was the plain vanilla Revan (i.e., default character model) from KOTOR.

Plus, the Emperor is weaker now than he was when Revan faced him

I just finished my story last night, and this came up a few times in dialogue. Why is the emperor weaker than when Revan faced him? Why is he weaker than the first time I faced him?

Is there something from other storylines coming into play, or is he just "tired" from all the fighting?

Edited by Rufussay

I just finished my story last night, and this came up a few times in dialogue. Why is the emperor weaker than when Revan faced him? Why is he weaker than the first time I faced him?

Is there something from other storylines coming into play, or is he just "tired" from all the fighting?

The Emperor was tricked by Darth Baras into exploring the Dark Heart on Voss. There, using a Voss Mystic as his Voice, he became trapped by Sel-Makor until the new Emperor's Wrath came to his rescue. But since no Voss could ever leave the Dark Heart, the Wrath had to 'kill' the emperor, killing the Voss body he was using so his soul could leave and enter another host body. This process greatly weakened him. Plus, he just tried to start his galaxy-consuming ritual 3 times (on Voss, Corellia and Belsavis), and I think that helped him become more vulnerable for the Jedi Knight.

When Revan faced the Emperor, he was in his best form, and still used his own body. The Emperor's fear of dying (aggravated by Revan) made him start transferring his essence to host bodies (the emperor voices) to make sure that even if someone was lucky enough to kill him, he would still live by transferring his soul to another 'voice'. But in his weakened state at the end of the Jedi Knight story, his soul took severe damage, and he remains unconscious, half dead now. It's not clear if he will ever recover.