How to Flash Point Like A Pro (Leveling Version) [partial content]

omg this game has been out for over 2 years and people still think tanks should guard healers.

here's why a healer pulls agro in a FP, or an op, or anywhere:

bad tank, bad dps

in other words, tank agro's one mob and tunnel visions on it, dps assists the tank and ignores all the other standards/silvers, and since healer is going to heal of course he is going to pull agro on those ignored mobs.

Guard won't change that, healer will still get agro.

In Fp's the person that gets guarded is almost meaningless though especially when leveling, the 55's should guard dps especially if there is a well geared dps with a good rotation/game knowledge. Unguarded they will be pulling agro alot especially if the tank is sub-par.

tfb phase 2, guard the healers.. random FP with a random group? -- who cares who you guard really, but in the interest of good gameplay should guard whichever is the better DPS in 95% of cases.

Edited by Gwence

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful guide, too bad most of the people who need to read it never will. Regardless, well done.

FLASH POINT: Black Talon & The Esseles

BOSS: Vorgan the Volcano

General: The droids need to die first. Focus-fire one then the other. Order is unimportant. They cannot be Crowd Controlled.

Torch is a droid. Sawbones Gjonfs is not, and is a healer who can't heal the droid. Torch has higher DPS, so ideally kill him first, then Sawbones, then Vorgan. Of course, I don't think I've ever seen a group fail this fight, regardless of the order.

Edited by Dontelar

No, you don't seem to understand. The only way for a healer to have aggro on everything is for a tank to idly ignore any mobs. I don't care what level you or the content are, if you POKE everything with your weapon once, you'll generate enough threat to keep it away from a healer.

I hate to argue with you but I have a scoundrel healer that has run many hard modes and it is not always the tank that causes the problem. There are some DPS that just don't pay attention to what they are doing so placing the blame on the tank is not always true.

I run with one tank on my healer because I know he knows what he is doing and when we have some good dps I rarely have agro but when we have some dps that don't pay attention or jump ahead of everyone I get the agro.

To the op: Great guide.

Excellent guide. Besides the never ending debate on Guard :) (I agree that in leveling there are times when guarding the healer is appropriate e.g, when the healer is effectively a healer and DPS is way over geared and is able to keep the him/herself topped off, tank topped off, DPS topped off and still out damage the DPS. Not an uncommon occurrence given the wide spread on the queue and gear disparity). The only thing I'll disagree with is on the Need for gear that you aren't leveled for yet. Again given the disparity in levels you will frequently get into FPs where the gear is one or two levels above your current level. I have no issue with people rolling need for gear that they'll be able to use in a level or two given that will take them all of a few hours at most. I'd rather have them roll need now so that when I group with them after they level they aren't stuck in the same crappy greens they are already in.

Other comment on loot you might want to mention is that Modable gear is a source of mods. If it's modable strength based gear it is fair game for DPS Juggs and Mauraders or DPS Guardians and sents. Same goes for modable sabers for DPS Counselor classes. Tricker is enhancements where politeness says "ask if you can need for the enhancement and defer if others can use the entire piece".

I'm going to add my 2c to the guarding debate. First, to understand what experience I have, I have 17 characters. Only one of those is a 55, and I don't play him very much anymore, so nearly all of my FP experience is while leveling.

I would say that around 80% of the time, where the guard is doesn't really matter. Either because the DPS/Healer aren't geared well enough to out aggro the tank, or because the tank isn't really trying to pull aggro anyways. In that case, I would say put the guard on the healer for the off chance that that 5% DR might help him, as the healer is more vital than a single DPS. If you have a competent group, it depends on the levels. If the tank is the highest level, or close to it, chances are no-one will be pulling from him, so again, guard is fairly pointless, but I'd want it on the healer for the same reason. Move it to a DPS if necessary, but it probably wont be. If one of the DPS significantly outlevels the tank, than that DPS should get the guard. If both do, then give it to the MDPS. If both are either melee or ranged, give it to the higher leveled one, or if if the same level, just pick one.

As far as guard goes, the most important thing is really for the tank to watch. You should be able to figure out where it should go within the first couple of fights. If no-one really needs it, just pick someone, even if all it does is give someone 5% DR when they get hit by an AOE or aggro ignoring attack, there is no point in not using it. And don't be afraid to move it if it looks like you picked the wrong target.

Edited by Dontelar

the damage reduction component of guard in PVE ( a massive 5%) only applies if the person being guarded is within range of the tank, I cant recall exactly what that range is but it is at most 15'ish meters. This makes guarding a healer even more impractical as they are rarely that close to the tank.

the damage reduction component of guard in PVE ( a massive 5%) only applies if the person being guarded is within range of the tank, I cant recall exactly what that range is but it is at most 15'ish meters. This makes guarding a healer even more impractical as they are rarely that close to the tank.

Here's the tooltip:

http://www.torhead.com/ability/fkDOyAL/guard

Note that the 15m only applies to the PvP damage transfer. The rest of it works within 30m, which is also the range of most healing casts.

That's a good point, and a major part of the reason I say to watch what is going on and change your guard if you picked the wrong target for it. Personally when playing a healer or ranged DPS and the tank guards me, I make an effort to position myself withing range of it, so long as doing so doesn't put me inside an AOE, or otherwise put me in more danger than I would be in if I stayed away. It's not a bad habit to get into, as I have seen many healers or DPS stay way out at the limit of their range, and ending up drawing in wandering mobs that otherwise would never have been fought at all.

LOL, i don't do fps much but when i do and if im not in a fighting mood i just guard the healer because i don't want to deal with the drama. Rare to see any dps pull off me anyways.

Oh and this guide shouldn't only be stickied it should be on the swtor main page.

Edited by Mallorik

• 1 month later...

Run to the Tank if you get aggro from an enemy you can't quickly kill or Crowd Control. This makes it much easier for the Tank to see you're in trouble and for them to pull the enemy off you. Running away from the Tank means he may not see you're in trouble and, if he does, will have an exponentially more difficult time solving the problem for you. In short, running to the Tank means you might live; running away from the Tank means you will die.

I'd just like to add that maybe it would be a good Idea to run towards the healer afterwards, or, more generally, if you need healing and you don't seem to be getting heals? someone still learning how to heal doesn't necessarily see that a DPS needs healing when they are focusing on the tank... It happened to me quite often when I was learning how to heal effectively in Flashpoints.

Also, it would, perhaps, be a good idea to advise other players not to LOS their own healer... it can be really frustrating trying to heal a tank/dps that keeps removing him-her-self from your line of sight when you are trying to cast a heal.

but otherwise, great guide! :D

Cleanse ... you forgot it.

1st boss in HS for example, cleanse on 4 stacks means much less healing needed.

There is more but in general, healers and DPS with cleanse - learn to cleanse (self cleanse) ... you will need it later.

No. No, no. No.

BAD TANKS result in healers getting aggro.

No.

Most of times I have seen it (from both DPS and Tank perspective) bad/tunnel DPS result with mobs on healer.

This is not WoW, DDs have to follow kill order and handle weak mobs/ads.

Good tanks can overcome their mistakes most of time but yet it not mean DDs has to run brain dead.

Agro generation/reduction have nothing to do if nobody hit those mobs.

No.

Most of times I have seen it (from both DPS and Tank perspective) bad/tunnel DPS result with mobs on healer.

This is not WoW, DDs have to follow kill order and handle weak mobs/ads.

Good tanks can overcome their mistakes most of time but yet it not mean DDs has to run brain dead.

Agro generation/reduction have nothing to do if nobody hit those mobs.

DPS needs to follow kill order, yes, but if there's strong enemy on healer and tank doesn't notice it quickly then DPS needs to interfere. Best case would be if tank got aggro of that mob as soon as possible but it's not possible in some of the fights (for example boss with two pets in Mandalorian Raiders).

This really is an outstanding guide. After reading it, I felt much more confident in queuing for Flashpoints, and I enjoyed them much more.

Thanks DarthTHC for your insight, patience, and attention to detail. This new player truly appreciates it.

Garik

Overall very solid guide. However, I wish to make a suggestion. Under Tank Behavior section, please add the following:

ALWAYS READ THE NPC'S BUFF

Clarify that the NPC buff are the icons DIRECTLY over their picture, NOT on the bar where player's debuffs are applied. Tanks should learn what various icon over the NPC pictures mean; from Boss Immunities to Unshakable to Stealth Detectors etc etc. I am absolutely mind-boggled that how even top-end raiding guilds fail to do something simple such as this (I know because I am in one). I still remember the night when storms of tears and rage filled our Teamspeak channels when we wiped on trash packs in SnV HM because nobody bothered to read the special ability of the mobs in there.

Greetings! I am new to MMO, and my attempt at a WarZone was downright terrifying and a great deal confusing. II am pondering if I could impose on other players by queing for an FP, but I am afraid I would hamper their efforts a-la that WarZone I am still trying to forget. Hence, my questions, after perusing your excellent Guide, please, bear with me, I am completely clueless!

1. Is agro (or is it aggro?) synonimous to an attack by others? Or is a specific type of an attack (somehow related to taunting?)

2. Could you provide an example of how to "reduce or dump agro"? I am not sure I understand the term here.

3. Damage Dealer: Adds have priority.

What are adds?

4. If you do not know the encounters or are new to the flash point, speak up!

How in general one would communicate with the other players? Are you expected to? I've also read something about 'calls'? Is there any guide on how to properly communicate because I can't imagibne typing anything, tbh under stress of an FP?

5. Learn how to use your Crowd Control abilities.

Would you be able to give an example of a CC ability? Is it an AoE spell that does not reloacte the enemy, like Quake or is it something like Stun or Slice Droid?

6. Only the Tank breaks Crowd Control. Whomever breaks Crowd Control needs to get control over that enemy else it will hammer whomever controlled it.

Okay, if the one prior to that means 'immobilize', this one means that you do not target a stunned/immobilized enemy, am I correct?

7. The vast majority of your specialization / skill points should be in your healing tree.

If you are pursuing a Balanced Tree, does it mean that it is not appropriate to try to join a group in a FP because you will be just failing the rest of the players?

8. The Big Stomping Creature on Athiss (Vodal Beast): Find a place to Tank him that you won't get knocked back. The doorway behind him works well.

Does the Beast have 360 degrees throw and standing in the arch prevents you from flying? Or is his attack directional and covers limited sector, so standing in the arch helps escape it if he's facing the way he's facing?

9. Can you ask to join a particular FP even if overlevelled (say Black Talon on lvl 19) or will the game just throw you into one at random like with a War Zone?

10. Gear for Tanks (over mid-30's) has some combination of Defense, Absorb, and Shield and avoids all other secondary stats.

For both the Tanks and the Damage Dealers, is there a difference between the priorities in selecting the stats for a ranged and a melee character?

Thank you in advance for anyone who would take pity and time to respond!

Edited by DomiSotto

Greetings! I am new to MMO, and my attempt at a WarZone was downright terrifying and a great deal confusing. II am pondering if I could impose on other players by queing for an FP, but I am afraid I would hamper their efforts a-la that WarZone I am still trying to forget. Hence, my questions, after perusing your excellent Guide, please, bear with me, I am completely clueless!

Definitely go have a try. Just tell your group you are first timer and you will probably be instructed well.

1. Is agro (or is it aggro?) synonimous to an attack by others? Or is a specific type of an attack (somehow related to taunting?)

Attacks and heals deal aggro. If you "have the aggro", it means you have done the highest amount of threat to the target who is attacking you through healing or attacks. Essentially, aggro (or threat) can be described as a value that determines which enemies (if any) attack you.

2. Could you provide an example of how to "reduce or dump agro"? I am not sure I understand the term here.

Most classes get an ability that lower their threat instantly. Sages, for example, get Cloud Mind and Operatives get Countermeasures. Reducing aggro means you will move to attacks that deal less and damage and thus cause less threat.

3. Damage Dealer: Adds have priority.

What are adds?

Adds are the weak monsters spawned by stronger ones. So you might have a boss who calls for help and gets four weaker droids to help him. They are the adds.

4. If you do not know the encounters or are new to the flash point, speak up!

How in general one would communicate with the other players? Are you expected to? I've also read something about 'calls'? Is there any guide on how to properly communicate because I can't imagibne typing anything, tbh under stress of an FP?

FP's do have some down time. In the beginning you should give your greetings and preferably also tell if you are new. This usually means the others will explain the fights to you as you go. "Calling" essentially means that the tank will dictate a specific kill order to be followed in the encounter.

5. Learn how to use your Crowd Control abilities.

Would you be able to give an example of a CC ability? Is it an AoE spell that does not reloacte the enemy, like Quake or is it something like Stun or Slice Droid?

Slice Droid and stuns, for sure. They are usually stuns of some sort, either the ones that break on damage or 'hard' stuns that are of shorter duration, but cannot be broken.

6. Only the Tank breaks Crowd Control. Whomever breaks Crowd Control needs to get control over that enemy else it will hammer whomever controlled it.

Okay, if the one prior to that means 'immobilize', this one means that you do not target a stunned/immobilized enemy, am I correct?

Yes you are.

7. The vast majority of your specialization / skill points should be in your healing tree.

If you are pursuing a Balanced Tree, does it mean that it is not appropriate to try to join a group in a FP because you will be just failing the rest of the players?

If you queue as a healer, you should be investing heavily to the healing tree or you probably will have troubles healing. And as a rule of thumb, focusing on a tree is good. There are some valid hybrids, but in FP's healing hybrids are not all too viable.

8. The Big Stomping Creature on Athiss (Vodal Beast): Find a place to Tank him that you won't get knocked back. The doorway behind him works well.

Does the Beast have 360 degrees throw and standing in the arch prevents you from flying? Or is his attack directional and covers limited sector, so standing in the arch helps escape it if he's facing the way he's facing?

360 degrees, yes. If you are back against the wall, you will only move a little as opposed to being thrown back a lot.

9. Can you ask to join a particular FP even if overlevelled (say Black Talon on lvl 19) or will the game just throw you into one at random like with a War Zone?

The group finder has level brackets. You could, however, ask if someone could take you on a guided tour. I'd just use the GF and tell everyone I am new though.

Thank you, that clears up a lot! Sheesh, I guess I will need to wait till other characters mature as two of mine are, of course, damage dealers (obviously an attractive choice and obviously sucky), and my Sage is Balanced :) Will work on a Healer with a Trooper or a Bounty Hunter.