The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyrotech tips

CriticalFlame

This may come off as rude or cocky, but it's the most honest advice I can give. And, if you take it for what it is worth, it will be valuable, I promise.

Figure it out yourself.

Spend some time, some hours, reading the abilities in the trees. Hit a training dummy for a few hours, parse it, break it down, swap some gear, tweek your spec. Find what works best for YOU. (You're not gonna parse like C-tor. He's prolly an exceptional player, in an exceptional guild that uses teamwork, communication, and repetition to get the results he, and they, do.)

I've got Top 2 VG parses in every significant SM OP (3rd in TC and TFB CHK) and too many #1 parses in HM FPs, running an 8-8-30 90% of the time. Every one of these OPs is a PUG, as I am guildless. Meaning, new dynamics, strats, pull spots, etc. every time! (I LOL at the jet charge post...Learn the zones, i.e. Titan 6 spawns at the same damn point, every time!!)

I spent several hours learning my rotation, perfecting my ammo management, and practicing moving, simulating add spawns, etc. It's funny, when I moved a few keybinds I was messing up my rotations, as I had it (my rotation) so perfected, my muscle memory had me pressing keys I had moved :)

If you want to be good, you can't expect someone to do it for you. Put in the time and effort, and it will pay off.

The one exception to this is gearing questions. Not everyone can afford to swap mods, and 78 gear min/max'ing can take quite some time to acquire. Taking the wrong piece can be heartbreaking :)

So, here's my tip:

Practice makes perfect.

And if you have any questions, I will be glad to answer them and assist in any way. But, what's the best spec, what rotation should I use, and all other general lazy questions will go unanswered (by me).

Don't take this as a direct attack at you. Just a response in general at the lack of effort people want to put in and expect stellar results.

Good luck!

Looking for tips for my 55 PT, i'd like to get familiar with Pyrotech since i've been AP since lvl 10, i'd like to try new things aswell.

Also i'm pure PvE so please don't give tips for PvP build.

Much appreciated!

Generally speaking, full pyro is not recommend for end game PvE, thus mostly everyone play the hybrid. I do not know the exact PvE build, but it is posted by Pawoee somewhere in the forums (might be easier to locate in the vanguard forums; mirror class). Generally, you do not want to get above burnout in the pyro skill tree for PvE. You should select most of the bottom skills that increase fire damage, rail shot and criti chance. Having said all of the above, full pyro is better than the hybrid for solo play, like running dailies due to higher burst. The typical build is 4-6-36. I would refer to Koozie's guide. Even though it is for PvP purposes, it is also the best build for solo PvE.

As the poster above me mentioned, practice makes perfect.

OP, unfortunately there's invisible writing somewhere in the PT forums subsection that indicates only PvP discussion is done here. It's ok to discuss builds and rotations for PvP ad-nauseum but the minute someone mentions PvE, they get jumped on and ridiculed until they shut up and leave.

I can tell you that my setup (mostly 78's, SA & BA relics, & full aim augs) tops out at 2800-2900 for AP, and 2600-2700 for Pyro (both of these have a standard rotation). Supposedly hybrid (no real rotation with that build) can run better but I haven't been able to make it work.

Sorry, but that's all the info I can offer you - I parked my dps PT weeks ago and just come by here to see if they have become viable enough to bother with again.

Lot's of epeen & elitism here, so be prepared to have multiple posts making fun of you.

Generally speaking, full pyro is not recommend for end game PvE, thus mostly everyone play the hybrid. I do not know the exact PvE build, but it is posted by Pawoee somewhere in the forums (might be easier to locate in the vanguard forums; mirror class). Generally, you do not want to get above burnout in the pyro skill tree for PvE. You should select most of the bottom skills that increase fire damage, rail shot and criti chance. Having said all of the above, full pyro is better than the hybrid for solo play, like running dailies due to higher burst. The typical build is 4-6-36. I would refer to Koozie's guide. Even though it is for PvP purposes, it is also the best build for solo PvE.

As the poster above me mentioned, practice makes perfect.

While I will agree generally with the idea that Hybrid>Full Assault, to state that Assault is not recommended for end game PvE is an overstatement.

Personally, I find fights with a lot of movement and/or KBs (Dash'roode/Nefra/Grob'thok/Council) are better suited for full Assault than the hybrid. An Assault VG is perfectly equipped to kite Raptus in HM Council.

Full assault has problems, but I think in the current tier of Ops, they are hidden very well.

Edited by JMagee

OP, unfortunately there's invisible writing somewhere in the PT forums subsection that indicates only PvP discussion is done here. It's ok to discuss builds and rotations for PvP ad-nauseum but the minute someone mentions PvE, they get jumped on and ridiculed until they shut up and leave.

First, there are no real "rotations" in PvP, as it is dynamic and situational. PvE, where encounters are static and can be memorized, is the place for rotations. And what build you use is entirely up to you, your play style, and how well you enjoy/play it.

I can tell you that my setup (mostly 78's, SA & BA relics, & full aim augs) tops out at 2800-2900 for AP, and 2600-2700 for Pyro (both of these have a standard rotation). Supposedly hybrid (no real rotation with that build) can run better but I haven't been able to make it work.

Next, in mostly 78's, 72MH, UW ear, matrix cube, and not full min max, I'm parsing 3k, and I have room for improvement. I rarely use recharge cells, which could push my parses even higher. Krayn is parsing 3300, almost 3400, I believe, w/ 72MH.

So, knowing what I know, I think your advice/opinion is invalid. Hence, the "figure it out for yourself" comment. I was doing him a favor. You are feeding him bulls**t, or you just don't know how to maximize your DPS.

Sorry, but that's all the info I can offer you - I parked my dps PT weeks ago and just come by here to see if they have become viable enough to bother with again.

Lot's of epeen & elitism here, so be prepared to have multiple posts making fun of you.

No elitism here, just find it pretty sad that people want everything handed to them without putting in any effort. Or, people, like you, posting stuff that makes little sense or just isn't true. (see above)

If people came in here asking real questions, like "here's my parse, where can I improve" or "I'm having issues maximizing my DPS" I'd be more than willing to assist.

Instead, I read a lot of misinformation, i.e. 2700 DPS, and most people never take the time to help themselves.

PvE is static, and pretty easy with some practice and a good group. That's where you get the "ridicule".

Not elitism...I just put the time in to learn and understand the class.

EDIT:

Krayn : http://www.torparse.com/a/519262/3/0/Damage+Dealt

Me : http://www.torparse.com/a/518670/6/0/Overview

and in case you're not following the leaderboard : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=691926

You can see VG potential, when played well.

Edited by T-Assassin

Snip

Thanks for confirming what I said.

Your "tough love Dad" speech didn't help the OP at all. At least I pointed him towards a couple PvE specs.

EDIT:

Your attitude is exactly what I was warning the Op about. I don't know why you get off acting that way. Probably because you figure these class boards are pretty un-moderated.

Edited by DAMossimo

While Assasin does make some good points of how you have to learn alot of Pyro/Assault by yourself, I did make a sort-of guide over on the vanguard forums.

Basically, you can use this 'code' to determine what to do (much easier to understand than my previous attempt at making a guide to assault) - however it requires basic knowledge of coding. Or the English language, its pretty self explanatory:

While Target is still alive
           if Shoulder Cannon off cooldown
                     Load Shoulder Cannon
           if missiles loaded > 2 and Explosive Fuel is off cooldown
                      use Explosive Fuel
           if missiles loaded > 0 and Explosive Fuel is active
                     use Shoulder Cannon
           if Attack Adrenal off Cooldown
                     use Attack Adrenal
           if Incendiary Missile isn't on the target
                    use Incendiary Missile
          else if Rail Shot is off Cooldown
                    use Rail Shot
          else if Rocket Punch is off Cooldown
                    use Rocket Punch
           else if Thermal Detonator is off Cooldown
                    use Thermal Detonator
          else if Heat < 25
                    use Flame Burst
          else if Thermal Sensor Override is off Cooldown
                    use Thermal Sensor Override
                    use Flame Burst
          else if Vent Heat is off Cooldown
                    use Flame Burst
                    use Vent Heat
           else 
                    use Rapid Shots

Follow that and it should get you maximum DPS as a pyro vanguard

Oh and DAMossimo?

Thanks for confirming what I said.

Your "tough love Dad" speech didn't help the OP at all. At least I pointed him towards a couple PvE specs.

EDIT:

Your attitude is exactly what I was warning the Op about. I don't know why you get off acting that way. Probably because you figure these class boards are pretty un-moderated.

If it makes you feel any better, I hit 2.9k dps in assault using unoptimised underworld gear.

Edited by TACeMossie

Oh and DAMossimo?

If it makes you feel any better, I hit 2.9k dps in assault using unoptimised underworld gear.

Thanks, but no, it doesn't.

Way too much immature chest-thumping in the PT subforum for me. I guess I'll take a leave of absence and leave the advice to the so-called "experts". :rolleyes:

Edited by DAMossimo
edited for content

Way too much immature chest-thumping in the PT subforum for me. I guess I'll take a leave of absence and leave the advice to the so-called "experts". :rolleyes:

Well I can now see why you were parsing so low... Using Noxxic for 'standard' rotation is horrible. They suggest picking up Thermal Detonator, for example, but then tell you to never use it.

Try again with my rotation shown above and it should work alot better.

EDIT - And picking up sweltering heat for PvP? Taking alacrity in general? Yeah, stay away from noxxic, that guide is bad. Maybe the gearing is ok, but everything else is horrible (in reference, the only good alacrity value for an assault vanguard/pyrotech powertech is 1887. Which is not only unrealistic, but unobtainable and a completely stupid idea. Why this value? Because that, with the +2% boost from Rapid Venting, gives you 25% alacrity, which causes the GCD to be 1.2 seconds, which causes 5 GCDs to line up perfectly with PPA - as opposed to causing that to proc much less often).

Use this skill tree instead:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hzZMsZfhbrdRrfcdz.3

Edited by TACeMossie

Tips for pyro in pve.

Use HO as a gap closer (or to avoid boss knockbacks - eg firebrand and stormcaller) and if you are >10m away your order priority for attacks are: railshot, explosive dart, rapid shots. Rapid shots takes priority over explosive dart if no dot is on the target to trigger cgc.

Every 2 mins explosive fuel and 4 shoulder cannons available - you must use them all in the 15 second explosive fuel window. The only attacks you use in your standard rotation are: thermal det, incid miss, rail shot, rocket punch, flame burst.

Keep the three dots on the target at all times. You must use thermal det on COOLDOWN. Rocket punch is difficult to time...never use it prior to railshot and always after if thry are both off cd....it should be used 6 seconds after a previous railshot proc for max efficiency - this is very difficult to get used to. Keep heat under 40 for maximum efficiency unless you are going hard with the intention to vent.

These are what allows you to maximise your dps instead of being just a regular pt. Be sure to use adrenals at the time when your explosive fuel and shoulder cannon and DO NOT use explosive fuel if railshot has just procced, if railshot is on cd, rocket punch is on cd or if td is on cd.

There isnt any smugness here from me if you ask a genuine question pvp or pve....or make a suggestion after using your brain. People like otto are also always willing to help people as are brunner, mega etc etc. I have see tassassin post too and he has been around for a very long time... I think we just get irritated by posts like the jet charge one because it is pure garbage from people who dont understand the class...you have to understand the devs read these posts too and we dont want them to be under any illusion with some of those bad suggestions. .. sir even me (not the best at pve) parse higher in ap and pyro then those estimates u gave.

Im sorry you think there is eliteness here but I have never got that feeling. Just a bunch of high end players trying to make eachother better!

Railshot and td are your bread and butter! Just learn to pay attention to them coming off cooldown early on and as you get good at that implement other tips. Plz use chaff flare to to drop agro as well!

Edited by Kooziejr

You're just too stubborn to understand constructive criticism, honesty, and "tough love". I get it, I do...

If people would take more than 1 minute to post, "I suck, HELP", and actually go beyond page 1 of the class forums, you would see there is pages upon pages of helpful, factual information. Oh, and there's a mirror class forum (I play VG, not PT) but much good info can be found in here. I've posted rotations, parses, etc. etc.

And again, figure it out for yourself...How's that info you got from noxxic working out for ya? 2700 DPS...about 300 DPS behind a SM Hero (me) and about 600 behind the top performers w/ 72MH.

My advice was much more sound than anything you have posted, so far.

There isnt any smugness here from me if you ask a genuine question pvp or pve....or make a suggestion after using your brain. People like otto are also always willing to help people as are brunner, mega etc etc. I have see tassassin post too and he has been around for a very long time... I think we just get irritated by posts like the jet charge one because it is pure garbage from people who dont understand the class...you have to understand the devs read these posts too and we dont want them to be under any illusion with some of those bad suggestions. .. sir even me (not the best at pve) parse higher in ap and pyro then those estimates u gave.

Im sorry you think there is eliteness here but I have never got that feeling. Just a bunch of high end players trying to make eachother better!

Well said, all of it...

Edited by T-Assassin

• 2 weeks later...

The best tips I've found for pyro (and PT in general) revolve around synching your cooldowns. Chances are you already know the rotation, now be sure to pair up thermal sensor override with incendiary missile as often as you can, and shoulder cannon with explosive fuel and whatever else you have (adrenals, maybe a clicky relic, etc).

Pyro shield is actually also a pretty good source of damage if you are getting hit regularly. Not that you should make it a habit to take as much damage as possible, but mine will do about 900 dps, and can crit, if I'm getting whacked regularly. You can eke out a respectable amount of extra dps during unavoidable damage phases if you know what you're doing, just don't piss your healers and tanks off by taunting. It's good vs. Titan 6, for example.