The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Melee Weapon: Hands

RogueScout

Let there be an adaptable weapon that appears as just your hands or a pair of gloves, were we could mod them. It would give off the appearance of fighting with your hands, rather than a weapon.

why? bringing a blaster to a laser sword fight is bad enough..bringing nothing to a laser sword fight is just asking for instant death.

Hey that guy is shooting at me, wish i had a gun, or something to deflect the bolts....er I could you know, just slap him into next Tuesday.

Considering how many animations would need to be modified to take into account the lack of a weapon, and still make sense, I feel other things could be better implemented. Yes I understand the monk class...leave that for D&D..we have laser swords and blasters.

I had this idea, once. You can end up having some sort of ninja-like character.

I'm more in support, though, of Gaffi sticks being introduced into the game. And, making them work for two-handed, one-handed, and dual-weilding characters, alike.

It is not an issue of just hiding the weapon. Imagine what your character would look like punching 10 meters away and using a swinging motion that you use for swords.

The animation would not look right and they would have to reanimate nearly every action. I doubt EA would authorize such an endeavor as it would bring very little to the game.

Let there be an adaptable weapon that appears as just your hands or a pair of gloves, were we could mod them. It would give off the appearance of fighting with your hands, rather than a weapon.

This would work like the unarmed fights in Kotor2, which to shows the main problem, they would have to animate the fighting again, it would be a complete reworking of the animation for each class they do this for. And they would have to rework your abilities, for example a Jedi Sage Saber Strike would have to be overhauled, and it would be a complete reworking for Shadows, Both Smuggler ACs and both Trooper ACs (plus the mirror clases), since their abilities are more weaponbased.

So the only classes they could do this for would be the Sage and the Sorceror, and they are to me the classes least likely to do this.

It would be easier for them to create a martial artist class for both sides (maybe Gladiator and Duelist)

I'm not going to lie...I want this.

I once created a trooper and wanted to play him as a "super soldier".

So using hand to hand every now and then would fit the bill.

They have those legacy punching abilities...but you can only use them when you don't have a weapon slotted...so you lose out on all the stats.

It is not an issue of just hiding the weapon. Imagine what your character would look like punching 10 meters away and using a swinging motion that you use for swords.

The animation would not look right and they would have to reanimate nearly every action. I doubt EA would authorize such an endeavor as it would bring very little to the game.

You are right. Just removing the image of the weapon causes problems (swing animations, range of hits outside of arm length,etc). So really what is being asked for here is a new weapon proficiency. One that builds on the legacy "punch" "jab" and whatever others there are. This in turn means more clickies for those who want to use this system as real combat (rather than the few pts of dmg done by the legacy punches). All in all what's being asked for then is far bigger and more complicated than just an "invisible weapon."

Or if people really want to get their brawler on they can play scrapper tree scoundrel.

Idk. Sounds like an ok idea for those who want it. But I can see many many things above it in priority.

I was thinking this earlier today, then again i thought why not just get the legacy punch and jab and run around hitting people with that. True it's not a great idea against really tough people but for regular mobs of your level it should be ok (with a companion).

The reason I was thinking this was because I was running around legacy punching people instead of using weapons earlier. Punched out a few strongs, several regular mobs, and even an elite.

I never thought of this but there are some unarmed attack animations in game, idk if it'd be enough to do a whole weapon set though... still though, I'd prefer my Teras Kasi expert class eventually *dreams*