The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

If they retcon TFU...

Beniboybling

Recently one of the guys working on Rebels - Greg Weisman - did an interview and said the following:

"We've got a rebellion that is not yet organised, is not yet the Rebel Alliance. One of the main things that our show is about, and I'm talking about over seasons, is were going to show how the Rebel Alliance came to be..."

So, does this mean Galen Marek's sacrifice will be in vain? I hope not, I liked that story...

And I'm still waiting on TFU3!

And how many more retcons do you think Rebels will bring?

Edited by Beniboybling

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a good chance it'll completely ignore it's existance I'd say. =/

Games are rarely counted as canon and often disregarded - probably so that whoever is directing/writing the show doesn't have to familiarize themselves too much with them.

Or they could avoid everything that has something to do with TFU.

Hm, hm...eh I'm optomistic about it. I mean before TFU, the Rebellion was in some other way yes? Can't exactly remember what it was, but still.

Anyway as for retconning TFU...I wouldn't mind, as I said I am gonna remain optomistic. HOWEVER....I just hope it'll be an interesting story of how the Alliance got on its feet and it's not some clumsy story which I hope it won't.

The only thing I really hope for is that Rebels doesn't.....

1. Make this big bad guy, the Inquistor yes? Ridiculously powerful.

2. If Vader does appear, they better not make him act stupid. I don't think they would, but you never know.....having small appearances such as via holograms and so forth wouldn't be bad though.

3. Jedi better not be popping up every couple of episodes to help the main cast, or even worse fighting with the Rebellion. Already they seemed to have stretched that with Kota and Galen, which you know...I can give a slight pass being it was just the 2...but I better not see some group of Jedi running about, it's suppose to be the dark times and the Rebellion underfoot, if Jedi start coming outta the woodwork I feel like it lessons that.

Anyway those are my 3 little issues with it.

Wouldn't it make sense for there to be a few Jedi in the early years of the Rebellion?

If I understand it correctly, they are mostly all dead (or deep in hiding) by the time Luke Skywalker comes of age - but I imagine a few others would've tried to stand up and fight in the 18(?) years between then and SW: A New Hope.

3. Jedi better not be popping up every couple of episodes to help the main cast, or even worse fighting with the Rebellion. Already they seemed to have stretched that with Kota and Galen, which you know...I can give a slight pass being it was just the 2...but I better not see some group of Jedi running about, it's suppose to be the dark times and the Rebellion underfoot, if Jedi start coming outta the woodwork I feel like it lessons that.
But lets not forget that these "Dark Times" act as the setting for the Great Jedi Purge... so yeah I'd expect Jedi.

As long as they're all dead by the time of ANH I'll be fine with that, but again I'd expect Jedi - we've already got a Sith with a lightsaber and Star Wars isn't Star Wars without a couple of good ol' lightsaber duels.

I personally, would like to see a resolution to Ashoka's story.

This gives me hope.

As soon as I heard Jedi Kota being alive up until the point of Battle of Yavin and most likely after it....It got ridiculous. There are points in the overall story in which the EU should not mesh in with the movies. ESPECIALLY when there are other jedi around during the OT period.

I hope all of the TFU story is cast out into oblivion and with the release of EP7 the new EU will be under a lot stricter rules and far shorter leash.

Thank god this is actually happening.

http://lightsaberrattling.com/binding-the-galaxy-together-a-look-at-the-lucasfilm-story-group/

Edited by Girdeux

Wouldn't it make sense for there to be a few Jedi in the early years of the Rebellion?

If I understand it correctly, they are mostly all dead (or deep in hiding) by the time Luke Skywalker comes of age - but I imagine a few others would've tried to stand up and fight in the 18(?) years between then and SW: A New Hope.

That really depends on how early is early. initially there are a lot of Jedi that survive Order 66, at least according to the book Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. But then there is the "Great Purge" where Vader and the Emperor hunt down all but an obvious handful of Jedi. The question is when does the "rebellion" start? And the question is answered (if vaguely) in the third Han Solo trilogy book Rebel Dawn and that book ends as ANH begins.

The so final question is when does the Rebels series take place? Is it throughout the "Dark Times", in which case in the beginning Jedi may abound and dwindle over time. Or is it at the end of the "Dark Times" relatively just prior to ANH, in which case the only known Jedi left are Obi-Wan and Yoda and they are in deep hiding and any other Jedi are even deeper in hiding because they are not known.

But lets not forget that these "Dark Times" act as the setting for the Great Jedi Purge... so yeah I'd expect Jedi.

As long as they're all dead by the time of ANH I'll be fine with that, but again I'd expect Jedi - we've already got a Sith with a lightsaber and Star Wars isn't Star Wars without a couple of good ol' lightsaber duels.

I personally, would like to see a resolution to Ashoka's story.

There can be Jedi, but there better not be a whole lot of them is my point.

There can be Jedi, but there better not be a whole lot of them is my point.

I suspect some of them will be there just so we get to see them die, but I'm guessing there will be at least one Jedi character with a recurring role on the show.

The so final question is when does the Rebels series take place? Is it throughout the "Dark Times", in which case in the beginning Jedi may abound and dwindle over time. Or is it at the end of the "Dark Times" relatively just prior to ANH, in which case the only known Jedi left are Obi-Wan and Yoda and they are in deep hiding and any other Jedi are even deeper in hiding because they are not known.

I think it'll be set in the beginning of the Dark Times - which seems like it'd give them more flexibility in what they want to do.

Not to mention if they plan on having Clone Wars cameos, early times would work better too.

Edited by Callaron

This gives me hope.

As soon as I heard Jedi Kota being alive up until the point of Battle of Yavin and most likely after it....It got ridiculous. There are points in the overall story in which the EU should not mesh in with the movies. ESPECIALLY when there are other jedi around during the OT period.

I hope all of the TFU story is cast out into oblivion and with the release of EP7 the new EU will be under a lot stricter rules and far shorter leash.

Thank god this is actually happening.

http://lightsaberrattling.com/binding-the-galaxy-together-a-look-at-the-lucasfilm-story-group/

Can't say I agree with your opinions, I thought it was kinda neat how they brought it all together.

But anyway thanks for providing a link to the Story Group concept - sounds very interesting, and yes I agree that a tighter and more hands on approach to the EU will improve it as a whole. I mean lets face it the post-ROTJ is sorta a mess, its kinda like they just let in run wild and in the process a whole different Star Wars was created.

Its also nice to see they have a plan, and aren't planning on any multiverses - thank god for that.

I think it'll be set in the beginning of the Dark Times - which seems like it'd give them more flexibility in what they want to do.

Not to mention if they plan on having Clone Wars cameos, early times would work better too.

You might want to check out the interview I linked, according to Weisman its set closer to ANH than ROTS. Edited by Beniboybling

You might want to check out the interview I linked, according to Weisman its set closer to ANH than ROTS.

Thanks, I missed the link for some reason. :o

It was very informative, and yeah, it seems like they are aiming for something closer to ANH.

Edited by Callaron

Can't say I agree with your opinions, I thought it was kinda neat how they brought it all together.

But anyway thanks for providing a link to the Story Group concept - sounds very interesting, and yes I agree that a tighter and more hands on approach to the EU will improve it as a whole. I mean lets face it the post-ROTJ is sorta a mess, its kinda like they just let in run wild and in the process a whole different Star Wars was created.

Its also nice to see they have a plan, and aren't planning on any multiverses - thank god for that.

Youll love this too then. Fresh (within the day) of posting.

Victor Barnabé ‏@VictorBarnab 3h

@infinata I think it's too unclear, people don't seem to understand the fact that the films or TCW or Rebels are not like the rest of the EU

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@infinata

@VictorBarnab we try! Some just don't want to hear it. Canon is only what's on the screen - Episodes I-VI, TCW and what's to come.

Its pretty clear whats going to happen to Post-ROTJ EU, thank god. What does this make of EU before EP1? Who knows

Edited by Girdeux

Youll love this too then. Fresh (within the day) of posting.

Victor Barnabé ‏@VictorBarnab 3h

@infinata I think it's too unclear, people don't seem to understand the fact that the films or TCW or Rebels are not like the rest of the EU

Pablo Hidalgo ‏@infinata

@VictorBarnab we try! Some just don't want to hear it. Canon is only what's on the screen - Episodes I-VI, TCW and what's to come.

Its pretty clear whats going to happen to Post-ROTJ EU, thank god. What does this make of EU before EP1? Who knows

I guess this is saying that TCW and Rebels are part of Film Only continuity - i.e. Film Only continuity encompasses both G-Canon and T-Canon. That said I expect Chee would probably scold Hidalgo for his misleading use of terminology...

But yeah, the post-ROTJ EU is certainly not in a good position right now, but I'm glad that they are going to actually handle the situation and address the issue of canon rather than just pretend the EU is a parallel universe.

The one thing they may find difficult to retcon into all this is the fact that the crawl for ANH said that the Rebel Alliance had just scored their first victory against the empire (obviously paraphrasing here).

They can always just say that the rebel groups they are showing aren't the Rebel Alliance (as it apparently isn't formed yet).

However I do look forward to how much detail they get into (will we see Mon Mothma, Dodonna, Ackbar, Porkins?).

I am usually not fond of intrusive storytelling, overt use of retcons, willing contradiction of previous canon. But when a higher canon source contradicts a lore hijack... It makes my heart warm. I do believe it's a first for Star Wars, actually.

To me, the whole matter of Galen Marek is a very sorry business - it's a forced plot mechanism that aims to artificially aggrandise the impact of a source's creation. The Rebel Alliance is not supposed to avenge Marek's sacrifice. The Alliance to Restore the Republic was conceived by Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and Padmé Amidala the day the Empire was created. It doesn't need a central role figure to offer it meaning and purpose. They didn't need his influence to organise themselves and commit to armed resistance eventually.

The figure of Galen Marek is detrimental to the Rebel Alliance. May the Force make it whither away and fade into the void. And if this Rebels series does away with it, hurray! It's a first step away from self-centred EU authors. Maybe now we can have A New Hope for the Star Wars future, where OP idiotic characters are not needed to keep the cogs turning.

I am usually not fond of intrusive storytelling, overt use of retcons, willing contradiction of previous canon. But when a higher canon source contradicts a lore hijack... It makes my heart warm. I do believe it's a first for Star Wars, actually.

To me, the whole matter of Galen Marek is a very sorry business - it's a forced plot mechanism that aims to artificially aggrandise the impact of a source's creation. The Rebel Alliance is not supposed to avenge Marek's sacrifice. The Alliance to Restore the Republic was conceived by Mon Mothma, Bail Organa and Padmé Amidala the day the Empire was created. It doesn't need a central role figure to offer it meaning and purpose. They didn't need his influence to organise themselves and commit to armed resistance eventually.

The figure of Galen Marek is detrimental to the Rebel Alliance. May the Force make it whither away and fade into the void. And if this Rebels series does away with it, hurray! It's a first step away from self-centred EU authors. Maybe now we can have A New Hope for the Star Wars future, where OP idiotic characters are not needed to keep the cogs turning.

Well in all honesty, I'd rather not see any major characters rendered non-canon. Its unprecedented, because its the first step towards a convoluted multi-verse with parallel story lines, a comprised universe.

Whether you approve of Marek's story or not, its best for the sake of Star Wars that its kept - as opposed to rendering it non-canon. By doing that you've created a parallel universe, and Star Wars becomes a multiverse whether you wanted it to or not. And before you know it they'll do a TFU sequel any way and what if spin offs etc. And of course we have to work out what to do with the fates of the likes of Shaak Ti, and what about Mariss Brood, Kazadan Paratus, Juno Eclipse and Rahm Kota? All these loose ends dangling about.

Anyway I think Marek's story is well written, illustrated and voiced - and altogether part of a good game. I don't think its fair (or healthy) to use personal opinion to justify such a major action, which leads down an equally unpleasant path of a particular set of people clamping down on intellectual freedoms and shaping the EU to the way they want it to be.

So in the end, I hope that the producers behind Rebels try to reconcile this series with the events of TFU, and if this 'Story Group' idea is indeed genuine and given that such an act is unprecedented, I expect/hope they will.

The next few years are certainly going to be interesting ones.

The one thing they may find difficult to retcon into all this is the fact that the crawl for ANH said that the Rebel Alliance had just scored their first victory against the empire (obviously paraphrasing here).

They can always just say that the rebel groups they are showing aren't the Rebel Alliance (as it apparently isn't formed yet).

However I do look forward to how much detail they get into (will we see Mon Mothma, Dodonna, Ackbar, Porkins?).

Well, that didn't stop the Battle of Kamino to TFU II

I think crawls are more flexible than the material itself.

Well in all honesty, I'd rather not see any major characters rendered non-canon. Its unprecedented, because its the first step towards a convoluted multi-verse with parallel story lines, a comprised universe.

Whether you approve of Marek's story or not, its best for the sake of Star Wars that its kept - as opposed to rendering it non-canon. By doing that you've created a parallel universe, and Star Wars becomes a multiverse whether you wanted it to or not. And before you know it they'll do a TFU sequel any way and what if spin offs etc. And of course we have to work out what to do with the fates of the likes of Shaak Ti, and what about Mariss Brood, Kazadan Paratus, Juno Eclipse and Rahm Kota? All these loose ends dangling about.

Anyway I think Marek's story is well written, illustrated and voiced - and altogether part of a good game. I don't think its fair (or healthy) to use personal opinion to justify such a major action, which leads down an equally unpleasant path of a particular set of people clamping down on intellectual freedoms and shaping the EU to the way they want it to be.

So in the end, I hope that the producers behind Rebels try to reconcile this series with the events of TFU, and if this 'Story Group' idea is indeed genuine and given that such an act is unprecedented, I expect/hope they will.

The next few years are certainly going to be interesting ones.

Shaak Ti asploded if you remember. :p Though I would say Star Wars already has a parallel universe in the Infinities stories. I mean it's just 3 stories and nothing else has been really written, but still.

Shaak Ti asploded if you remember. :p Though I would say Star Wars already has a parallel universe in the Infinities stories. I mean it's just 3 stories and nothing else has been really written, but still.
Shaak Ti blew up? When!

And yeah, Infinities is as far as it should ever go. Because it fully accepts itself as a non-canon "what-if" story line, that wouldn't be the same for previously canon sources (which unlike Infinities introduce entirely new characters) which also have an impact on existing canon i.e. the Rebel Alliance, Shaak Ti's survival etc. etc.

This is also why I worry a bit about the fate of the post-ROTJ EU. As much as I dislike it, and as much as I feel it has strayed from the Star Wars ideal, sending down the plug hole is not the best idea - because then you've just gone and created a parallel universe, and that's a very slippery slope indeed.

Shaak Ti blew up? When!

And yeah, Infinities is as far as it should ever go. Because it fully accepts itself as a non-canon "what-if" story line, that wouldn't be the same for previously canon sources (which unlike Infinities introduce entirely new characters) which also have an impact on existing canon i.e. the Rebel Alliance, Shaak Ti's survival etc. etc.

This is also why I worry a bit about the fate of the post-ROTJ EU. As much as I dislike it, and as much as I feel it has strayed from the Star Wars ideal, sending down the plug hole is not the best idea - because then you've just gone and created a parallel universe, and that's a very slippery slope indeed.

I'm sure they'll think of something. Also in TFU she died by dropping in the scarlacc and exploding.

Well that's the problem, Shaak Ti dies in TFU but if that's retconned then she's alive and kicking accept in that parallel universe with Vader' apprentice...

Or she died after escaping the temple being hunted down, or just died in the temple by Vader.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi