Kills and assists

xOxDarkyxOx

My bad, it was Eric, it was Michael Backus on the PTS forums. Original post and link below, but the upshots is: Requisition rewards are not based on medals earned in any way.

Hey everyone,

We came across this thread and I wanted to help clarify.

Ultimately, Galactic Starfighter's rewards do not work the same way as ground game Warzones. The difference is slight, but the end result is the same. Let me explain.

Requisition gain in Galactic Starfighter is directly granted to a player based on their actions: You kill enemies, take objectives, kill turrets, etc. and you gain more Requisition for doing so. And we balance those bonuses to encourage what we feel are "correct" ways to play a gameplay type (e.g. On Domination battles, taking objectives and killing turrets is worth more than killing opponents).

Medals are more a reflection of your deeds during a battle, unlike in Warzones where earning them gains you greater Commendations. We wanted to make the gains be more direct, but thought that players would miss the "showing off" their greatness if we removed medals.

So, to summarize, if a team wins quickly, you do gain Requisition faster--your rate increased because your team did so well. That's your increased benefit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly suspect that you get Reqs in small amounts based on small actions rather than on large actions. i.e. I think you get something like:

X amount per damage dealt (I don't know if this is different from damaging a turret)

X per second you are claiming a satellite (have the green 'claiming' glow)

X per second counted as 'defending'

I must admit I do feel a bit dirty when a fully-charged railgun shot deals singe/double-digit damage and finishes someone off :p

My record is a 2-dmg kill shot.

I don't think it really matters though. If the enemy goes pop and that helps us cap/defend an objective, that's all that matters in my book.

Edited by Rigsta

I have captured sats after taking major damage. It's the kill that matters. That being said, the true MVP in not always the one who gets the glory.

That's true. My flashfire is my main ship, so I outfitted the NovaDive just for capturing objectives. Basically I took all the speed and engine boost modifications I could. I don't even try to fight with it usually. I just run from objective to objective trying to cap.

Those matches can be VERY successful if you have someone bent on doing just that, I've noticed.

I not sure the OP thought this through.

You would like a system where I could fly around and shoot a bunch of ship down to 49% health, fly away and never deliver a killing blow and at the end of the match have 20 kills.

I doubt things will turn up like that most of the time. You have to consider both hull repair and shield regen. If you do 51 damage to get it to 49 shield+hull, they regen say 20 points of shield and someone takes them down to zero. In this case, you do 51, they do 69.

In addition, when I said 60 seconds, that is purely a random number. The developers with their stats will be able to select a shorter more suitable time period. If it was something like last 10 seconds or even 5 seconds, this will no longer be an issue. In fact 5-10 seconds should be the period. It is enough time for any "good" player who wants to claim the kill to do enough damage. If they don't do enough, it simply means someone else is more deserving of the kill.

Edited by xOxDarkyxOx

I agree. There are some opportunistic kill whores out there who wait for you to do all of the work and get the last shot in. I hate these people.:mad:

As they say, there is no "I" in "TEAM".

I am no opportunistic kill whore, but i WILL kill an enemy that is sitting in my crosshairs. Not doing so would be beyond stupid, as i have no way to even know you were doing 'all the work', nor do i know whether you would or would not manage to finish him off without my help.

I target enemy, i kill enemy. Everything else be damned(including butthurt feelings other players may or may not have after):mad:

As they say, there is no "I" in "TEAM".

I am no opportunistic kill whore, but i WILL kill an enemy that is sitting in my crosshairs. Not doing so would be beyond stupid, as i have no way to even know you were doing 'all the work', nor do i know whether you would or would not manage to finish him off without my help.

I target enemy, i kill enemy. Everything else be damned(including butthurt feelings other players may or may not have after):mad:

I think you missed the point of this thread. You are quite entitled to attack any ship you see, in fact it is something you really have to do. But that doesn't mean you should get the kill count.

Edited by xOxDarkyxOx

I think you missed the point of this thread. You are quite entitled to attack any ship you see, in fact it is something you really have to do. But that doesn't mean you should get the kill count.

I was replying to someone complaining other people 'steal their kills'. they don't. They just play the game as it should be played.

As far as the kill credit goees, i couldn't care less. You get the same requisition for kills as you do for assists, so the only reason why this would matter to anyone is the achievements.

I doubt things will turn up like that most of the time. You have to consider both hull repair and shield regen. If you do 51 damage to get it to 49 shield+hull, they regen say 20 points of shield and someone takes them down to zero. In this case, you do 51, they do 69.

In addition, when I said 60 seconds, that is purely a random number. The developers with their stats will be able to select a shorter more suitable time period. If it was something like last 10 seconds or even 5 seconds, this will no longer be an issue. In fact 5-10 seconds should be the period. It is enough time for any "good" player who wants to claim the kill to do enough damage. If they don't do enough, it simply means someone else is more deserving of the kill.

So, you do 99% of a ship's damage, and it runs away. You don't bother to chase the ship and move on to an "easier" target. Four seconds later, somebody else kills the ship to which you did 99% damage.

Why should you get the kill?

So, you do 99% of a ship's damage, and it runs away. You don't bother to chase the ship and move on to an "easier" target. Four seconds later, somebody else kills the ship to which you did 99% damage.

Why should you get the kill?

That is a theoretical situation that is extremely unlikely to happen. You are putting it up to chance that someone within 4 seconds of your last shot will kill the target.

Do you realise how fast 4 seconds passes? And I don't see why anyone would drop off a target at 99%. The amount of skill required to time your shots so you don't do 1% too much is incredible.. Noone will do it in practice.

Edited by xOxDarkyxOx

Yes it does. And if you think KILLS matter as an individual stat you aren't playing the right game. Your epeen o meter isn't important.

That is a theoretical situation that is extremely unlikely to happen. You are putting it up to chance that someone within 4 seconds of your last shot will kill the target.

Do you realise how fast 4 seconds passes? And I don't see why anyone would drop off a target at 99%. The amount of skill required to time your shots so you don't do 1% too much is incredible.. Noone will do it in practice.

I don't think people actually hang around doing nothing until a crippled ship limps into their sights and then take the kill in practice, either. My point is that with the current system, there is no error -- if you got the kill, it was because you killed the target. Anything else is at best a "most-likely-would-have-killed-but-didn't-actually" stat.

If BW starts awarding kills to non-killers, than there are all sorts of algorithms and constants to consider. For example, why most damage in last five seconds instead of last four or last six? Why not last ten?

So, why not use my original suggestion -- create a "would-have-killed" column/stat and let players bind a hot key for it, so that every time somebody kills something you are *sure* you would have killed, you can press that key, and then you and all the other non-killers can talk about who would have killed more people.

I think the kill should be awarded to whoever did the most damage to the target in the past 60 seconds or so. It is just frustrating to chase someone for a minute, get their health down to 15%, and for someone else to come and get the killing shot.

assists are more valuable though.

it encourages you to play as a team. so instead of being a kill chasing useless derp, go for the assist, and blast the guy attacking your teammate so he can kill him easier and not die.