Why does SWTOR not have

NeoIshamael

Why does SWTOR not have an armory system similar to WOW or FFXIV? Is it that difficult to implement? I just thought it would be interesting to look at the leader-boards and actually see the different achievements (among other things) of each character in game.

Maybe the community is against this idea. Just an idle thought.

It really is a pretty big time and money investment for a feature that is nice, but far from the list of priorities that I think most people would want to see addressed. Not many MMOs actually have one.

It's possible we may see one some day, but it's not going to be any time soon.

It really is a pretty big time and money investment for a feature that is nice, but far from the list of priorities that I think most people would want to see addressed. Not many MMOs actually have one.

It's possible we may see one some day, but it's not going to be any time soon.

If it had similar functionality to Ask Mr. Robot's system, and would be kept updated with each patch, and come with the little "dress up" option, that would be amazing.

It's not like people don't get rejected based on people just inspecting gear already. Don't let turds be the reason to not implement a fun and useful feature. There are plenty of other, better reasons for the time being. :p
The good news is that, since the Great October Mole & Troll Expungement, forum feedback has become one of players throwing out cool "what if" ideas. Whoever made that call to wield the bigger hammer that cleaned up our community is a hero in my book. (Whoever that was ... if you're in the Dallas area, email me with a time & place. Beverages are on me.)

One should keep in mind that the game is still 2+ weeks away from only it's second birthday (or anniversary, or whatever it's called.) It's pretty fascinating really - all the stuff that has been fixed, embellished or flat out newly introduced since launch. I agree completely that if an idea makes sense for the direction they want the game to go, then it will become a dev priority. Otherwise it likely gathers dust on their "Wall of Crazy."

More on topic, SWTOR does not have an Armory because those sites require API access to populate their databases. Dev has already nixed the notion of API access (i.e. no 3rd party add-ons) because they don't want to deal with hackers. Though I agree it would rock if some reputable site was granted channeled & read-only access to only those API hooks required to make an Armory happen. When I played WoW, I spent most of my offline game time either studying boss fights on TankSpot, or planning piece upgrades in the Armory.

Would they ever do one themselves? Probably not unfortunately.

Edited by GalacticKegger

SWTOR does not have an Armory because those sites require API access to populate their databases. Dev has already nixed the notion of API access (i.e. no 3rd party add-ons) because they don't want to deal with hackers.

/thread.

Like it or not... the API is closed and by all signs.. will stay closed.

/thread.

Which I am glad of, honestly.

I'm not for or against armory...as you can look at other people's achievements already through inspection I believe.

/thread.

The quote referred to 3rd Party armories. The WoW armory was built and maintained by Blizzard as part of the game.

I kind of like the WoW armory. Competition for everything, including achievements, now that SWTOR has them, is part of the game. The Armory would give people an idea of what other people are doing in terms of achievements, advancement, etc.

Third party sites can "scrape" the Armory to create lists of the most popular builds, armor, accomplishments, etc.

I've often said that an Armory feature would be useful on these forums as a deterrent for all the trolls that used to be here. It doesn't seem to be as bad as it used to be, though.

But an Armory can reveal a lot about a player, particularly their gear. So, whenever you see someone posting a thread about something being too hard or too easy, all you have to do is click their avatar and bring up a WEALTH OF INFORMATION about them to see why they are saying what they are saying. Their gear is terrible or they have BiS gear and are doing lower content, etc. Their spec is messed up for what they are trying to do. Or someone saying that they are bored with the game is revealed to be missing a plethora of achievements, showing they haven't really played all that much.

Armories are an effective troll deterrent, but it can also be used for trolling as well. Works both ways. But it'd be nice to have something like it in SWTOR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.