gunships... the jokes still not funny GSF devs

Vis-Tecum

I am totally digging the gunship! I'm picking up some nice strategies too. Yeah you're a big glowing bulls-eye in the sky. So, don't hover in the sky. I hide in 'nooks and crannies' to take my shots. Someone starts chasing me i slowly 'crawl' around small objects. It's hard at their speeds to keep the line of sight. Especially the satellites. If i stay real close to the surface and slowly hover around it the shots seem to lessen.

should i be revealing this?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am totally digging the gunship! I'm picking up some nice strategies too. Yeah you're a big glowing bulls-eye in the sky. So, don't hover in the sky. I hide in 'nooks and crannies' to take my shots. Someone starts chasing me i slowly 'crawl' around small objects. It's hard at their speeds to keep the line of sight. Especially the satellites. If i stay real close to the surface and slowly hover around it the shots seem to lessen.

I've seen several do this tactic and it just gets them killed... I can slow down in my scout too... and even kill the throttle completely... while unloading capacitor into thine enemies backside :D good tactic though if attacker is not good at negotiating space terrain or speed heheh

I've seen several do this tactic and it just gets them killed...

All depends - it can be tricky staying on the tail of someone circling the satellite because they're constantly turning behind it, enemies can turn up at any time to smack you in turn, and if it's hostile there are possibly turrets taking potshots.

Not like it's in the gunship's favour though, once spotted your choices are to try to lose them (tricky, impossible against a competent scout); fight (possibly trickier, unless you blew a great chunk out of them initially); or run for friends who'll take out your attacker, which risks extra hostiles joining in. Not getting noticed in the first place is better than any of these options.

I like taking out other Gunships with my Gunship ! :D

I would have to say Gunships are balanced right now, people just need to start going after them first.

You sound like a DD saying that their counters should be taken out as soon as possible so that they can perform insane DD undisturbed ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

another thing i've noticed is that it seems some people aren't realizing they need to charge the cannon by holding the button down.

Edited by Sydth

I pretty much agree with everything thats being said here supporting the balance of gunships. I really struggle with tracking targets in the scouts and strikers so gunship was my natural choice.

One thing I find a lot of gunships dont take advantage of is height, sitting high up on top of something not only gives you a bit of cover (as you would expect if you play any kind of fps) but the glowing charge-up bulls-eye of doom is very difficult to spot when it's not on the same level as the satellites.

One thing I am wondering though is about a fully powered up ion cannon. My initial impression is that the ion cannon isnt that useful, 1875 shield dmg and 400+ hull for a weapon designed to take out shields seems a bit of a joke when the plasma railgun does 1800 to both shields and hull and the slug railgun does 1600 with a 20-30% shield pierce. I notice the ion cannon drains engine and weapon energy...nice I thought, but nowhere can I find how much that is. Then it got me thinking, If you always get the drain regardless of beam strength surely you could rapid fire that thing without charging and completely drain a target of all it's energy?

The next thing i notice is the last couple of abilities on the ion cannon: 40% speed debuff or 6 seconds of energy regen debuff per hit. Same story, could still not spam that on no-charge and paper-weight another ship quite easily? Sure you wouldn't get many kills and you've no idea what power levels the target has, but in tandem with a strike or scout class ship it would make for easy pickings?

I need to do a bunch more testing on the ion cannon to see if it's feasible, the lure of a 30% piercing 100% armour ignoring slug rail is quite large when you can 2-shot anything with direct hits. Killing things is much more fun than disabling them in an unorganised battle, with teammates who are all clued in on the tactics though, could be lethal.

Edited by Endless

I can not believe that gunships went live in the condition they did. it was obvious in beta / pts they needed to be nerfed and its even more obvious now.

i think you trolled everyone long enough can we please have some balance

As a scout I slaughter gunships. They are slow and and fat making them an easy target at close range. I think there fine.

As a scout I slaughter gunships. They are slow and and fat making them an easy target at close range. I think there fine.

yes we can all kill bad gunships, there is nothing slow about a gunship who can boost for days and slow down attackers while do damage back to the attacker with their op shields and armor and can run all the way back to their capital ship from any sat. oh and not to mention they can disable your boosters with one shot

people need to quit acting like they are not a problem so we can get some balance across the ships and bads will just have to whine or quit when they finally get nerfed

if you think gunships are easy to kill then lol maybe easy to harass but they can kite and run as good as a scout and survive as good as a striker but they also have that big *** gun to cheese people actually playing and not sitting against terrain so their backs and sides are protected

name one ship that has all that utility because there is only 1 - the over powered gunships

Edited by Vis-Tecum

yes we can all kill bad gunships, there is nothing slow about a gunship who can boost for days and slow down attackers while do damage back to the attacker with their op shields and armor and can run all the way back to their capital ship from any sat.

people need to quit acting like they are not a problem so we can get some balance across the ships and bads will just have to whine or quit when they finally get nerfed

if you think gunships are easy to kill then lol maybe easy to harass but they can kite and run as good as a scout and survive as good as a striker but they also have that big *** gun to cheese people actually playing and not sitting against terrain so their backs and sides are protected

name one ship that has all that utility because there is only 1 - the over powered gunships

You're doing it wrong. They are easy kills. Sometimes I burn them down while they are still charging their laser.

yes we can all kill bad gunships, there is nothing slow about a gunship who can boost for days and slow down attackers while do damage back to the attacker with their op shields and armor and can run all the way back to their capital ship from any sat.

You so don't have a gunship if you believe the things you say......

1.) Gunships can only boost for a small amount of time.

2.) Any ship can catch up to them and still have a ton of power reserved.

3.) if you dodge their first hit, majority of their laser batteries are empty.

4.) Scouts and fighters can launch missiles and use lasers at the same time, gunships have to pick primary or secondary

5.) Ion weapons, and sabotage droids makes escape impossible for them.

6.) By not moving in a straight line, you can make their contribution to the team minimal for long periods of time.

1.) Gunships can only boost for a small amount of time.

2.) Any ship can catch up to them and still have a ton of power reserved.

3.) if you dodge their first hit, majority of their laser batteries are empty.

5.) Ion weapons, and sabotage droids makes escape impossible for them.

6.) By not moving in a straight line, you can make their contribution to the team minimal for long periods of time.

none of that is true against a gunship with 1/2 a brain

the only thing you can do is ignore everything and go after the gunships then they just run back to the capital ship or have one of their protectors get behind you then go back to killing

Edited by Vis-Tecum

Never seen this, but even if they did, the fact that they are disengaged and running away means their teeth are pulled.

If you can't catch a gunship flying any of the other ships, the problem lies on your end.

Stop whining.

yes we can all kill bad gunships, there is nothing slow about a gunship who can boost for days and slow down attackers while do damage back to the attacker with their op shields and armor and can run all the way back to their capital ship from any sat. oh and not to mention they can disable your boosters with one shot

what a big lie. Scouts are a lot faster, can recharge engines faster ( even have an ability for just that purpose) and have a lot better evasion. Gunships can speed, but they don't have nearly as much ability to do that as scouts, what you said there was a horrible lie, gunships can kite but not nearly as much as a scout can. As for them surviving, the gunships have some abilities that can strengthen themselves temporarily, but they are easy to take out, strikers can take up to 4 of our railgun shots. As for disable your boosters, that's only ion railgun that can do that and not everyone uses them, and it does more damage to shields than anything. Also, as for skill, you have to know which is the priority targets you want to hit, as well as you have to target, trust me, when targeting at close to max range it gets difficult, its a small target and they are especially hard to hit as they keep moving unpredictably, so don't tell me that's no skill. Anyway, point is, gunships do not have the utilities of the other ships developed nearly as much as the other ships that are meant to have them. I mean really, you think that a scout, with all possible engine and thruster upgrades as well as its boost recharge ability, is only just on level with a gunship which has none of those!?! 2 thumbs DOWN.

Never seen this, but even if they did, the fact that they are disengaged and running away means their teeth are pulled.

If you can't catch a gunship flying any of the other ships, the problem lies on your end.

Stop whining.

stop trying to defend your op ships

I mean really, you think that a scout, with all possible engine and thruster upgrades as well as its boost recharge ability, is only just on level with a gunship which has none of those!?! 2 thumbs DOWN.

no but it is far from the sitting ducks they are supposed to be and can easily get back to the capital ship or kite away from the sat and that s all they need especially if they are supported by a fighter

that along with the utility and one shot kills makes them op, either nerf their survivability or their gun. having both is not balanced with any of the rest of the ships

Edited by Vis-Tecum

no but it is far from the sitting ducks they are supposed to be and can easily get back to the capital ship or kite away from the sat and that s all they need especially if they are supported by a fighter

Ah ha! There you go - a wingman makes all the difference. And that isn't because the ship in question is a gunship, it's because there's teamwork involved.

Sounds like you want to be able to go head-to-head with a gunship in your scout or something. That doesn't work. you have to be smarter than that.

that along with the utility and one shot kills makes them op, either nerf their survivability or their gun. having both is not balanced with any of the rest of the ships

that depends greatly on distance, their engine bar does not refill as fast as a scouts can, and from personal experience I can honestly say that you can't run from a spot near a node to a capital ship all at once, the bar will run out long before then and they will be left pressing the W key waiting for their bar to recharge, at that point the gunship has seconds of life left is a scout was pursuing.

Anyway they are called sitting ducks because to fire they need to sit still, so when they are targeting alone they are at risk, firing that cannon presents a vulnerability that is easily exploitable, I have encountered gunships that have tried to kite, my scout picked them off, any maneuvers they can do a scout can do better, the only thing is that when their engine bar does run out I sometimes accidently overshoot and lose them which is why its important to pace yourself in a chase. Point is, when they are firing their cannon, that gives them a great risk of getting shot, and not to mention exposed, the minute someone sees railgun fire someone starts watching the angle it is coming from and goes for it.

stop trying to defend your op ships

let me explain something here, you post something on a forum, someone is going to debate it, that's the whole point of a forum, to share stuff and do debates on certain subjects. I play gunship yes, but I play scout a lot too because I do like its speed and maneuverability a lot more than I do a gunship, and they make excellent node runners for capturing nodes at the beginning, or creating a nice distraction by rushing in and destroying 2 turrets before they even realize.

none of that is true against a gunship with 1/2 a brain

the only thing you can do is ignore everything and go after the gunships then they just run back to the capital ship or have one of their protectors get behind you then go back to killing

So magically they get the speed and mobility of a scout? If you can't catch a gunship the issue is you, not your ship.

Edited by Brimmer

Gunships are not OP. You just have to learn how to fight them. If you, in a scout, tie up a gunship and another fighter to keep you from killing the gunship, that's a win. Anytime you tie up 2 for 1, it's a win.

Gunships die easy or run out of range. Either way, they aren't being effective. Learn the tactics to deal with them and you're set.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.