Jump to content

Einstein's problem


Arkillon

Recommended Posts

bored at work.

 

Five men live in five houses of five different color.

They smoke five different brands of cigar,drink five different beverages,and keep five different pets.

 

We know that:

* The Canadian lives in the first house.

* The Dane lives in the orange house.

* The Australian keeps dogs as pets.

* The African drinks soda.

* The blue house is just on the left of the red house.

* The blue house owner drinks coffee.

* The man who smokes Dunhill lives next to the one who keeps birds.

* The person who smokes Pall Mall has fishes.

* The owner of the green house smokes Prince.

* The man living in the house right in the center drinks tea.

* The Swede smokes Blue Master.

* The man who smokes Dunhill has a neighbor who drinks beer.

* The Canadian lives next to the yellow house.

* The man who keeps snakes lives next to the man who smokes Prince.

* The owner who smokes Blend drinks water.

 

The question is ... Who keeps a cat?

For Einstein 98% of the people in the world cannot solve this problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bored at work.

 

Five men live in five houses of five different color.

They smoke five different brands of cigar,drink five different beverages,and keep five different pets.

 

We know that:

* The Canadian lives in the first house.

* The Dane lives in the orange house.

* The Australian keeps dogs as pets.

* The African drinks soda.

* The blue house is just on the left of the red house.

* The blue house owner drinks coffee.

* The man who smokes Dunhill lives next to the one who keeps birds.

* The person who smokes Pall Mall has fishes.

* The owner of the green house smokes Prince.

* The man living in the house right in the center drinks tea.

* The Swede smokes Blue Master.

* The man who smokes Dunhill has a neighbor who drinks beer.

* The Canadian lives next to the yellow house.

* The man who keeps snakes lives next to the man who smokes Prince.

* The owner who smokes Blend drinks water.

 

The question is ... Who keeps a cat?

For Einstein 98% of the people in the world cannot solve this problem.

 

 

Green--Canadian--First House--Birds--Beer--Prince

Yellow--African--Second House--Snakes--Soda--Dunhill

Orange--Dane--Third (middle)--Fish--Tea--Paul Mall

Blue--Swede--Fourth--Cat--Coffee--Blue Master

Red--Australian--Last--dogs--Water--Blend

 

 

I think. According to google, I have it all wrong--I just don't know.

Edited by Sappharan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I had to write everything out, but it is the swede.

 

First house should be Canadian, green, prince, beer and birds.

Second house should be African, yellow, Dunhill, soda and snakes.

Third house should be Dane, orange, pall mall, tea and fishes.

Fourth house should be Swede, blue, blue master, coffee and _____.

Fifth house should be Australian, red, blend, water and dogs.

 

Cat fills in the blank.

 

Edited by Rambeezy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok so this took me an hour and 3 sheets of paper but

 

 

House 1(far left)

Green

Beer

Canadian

Prince

Birds

 

House 2

Yellow

Soda

African

Dunhill

Snakes

 

House 3

Orange

Tea

Dane

Pall Mall

Fish

 

House 4

Blue

Coffee

Swede

Blue Master

Cat

 

House 5(far right)

Red

Water

Australian

Blend

Dog

 

 

Was fun hopefully right

ill take screenshot of messy paper if proof is needed

Edited by BlyWoods
Link to comment
Share on other sites

try to solve it with the clues I gave, it's fun :) (and without google obv)

 

 

 

First house - Green - Canadian - Beer (he's Canadian..duh) - Prince - Birds

Second house - Yellow - African - Soda - Dunhill - Cuddly snake

Third House - Orange - Dane - Pall Mall - Tea - Fish

Fourth house - Blue - Swede - Blue Master - Coffee - ADORABLE KITTIES ^.^

Fifth house - Red - Aussie - Blend - Water - Smelly dogs

 

The swede

 

 

 

also...

 

 

I'm Canadian, I own cats, and I drink coffee, beer, and tea....It could so be the answer too.

 

 

and...

 

 

What the hell Zenod...I thought that you are Canadian...Yet, you keep spelling words the American way. :mad:

 

 

 

 

95% of statistics are made up on the spot

 

Yea, yea...98% is far fetched and seems highly unlikely...

Edited by Dedrayge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

98% of the people in the world is a bad generalization of a small demographic ever asked this question. If it's based on the assumption of an average IQ ratio it is an even poorer generalization. The question itself identifies one person as keeping dogs (The Australian). If there are five possible answers, one is immediately eliminated making it only four possible answers. If a person just guessed blindly after this one deduction, they would have a 25% chance of guessing correctly. Thus out of 100 people (let's say that's the worlds population) approximately 25 would guess correctly making it only feasible for 75% of the worlds population to guess wrong. And that's assuming they used no other problem solving skills aside from the one very obvious deduction. Personally I see Einstein as a man of reason and logic but more importantly a man of numbers. I do not see him making a miscalculation like this and view the question as a low brow attempt to give a clever riddle more credability with an impressionable audience.

 

That being said, I found this post pretty entertaining. Thanks.

 

Edit:

 

I did not include my answer to the riddle so I will do so now.

 

 

Five men live in five houses of five different colors;

-It does not say five men live in five seperate houses of five seperate colors. Therefore I have to assume each man lives with the other four in each of the five houses or each has five houses they live in.

 

They smoke five different brands of cigars, drink five different beverages, and keep five different pets.

-Again, it does not say seperately so I have to assume each man has five of each.

 

The answer would be that they all keep cats.

 

Edited by Ozlandu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

98% of the people in the world is a bad generalization of a small demographic ever asked this question. If it's based on the assumption of an average IQ ratio it is an even poorer generalization. The question itself identifies one person as keeping dogs (The Australian). If there are five possible answers, one is immediately eliminated making it only four possible answers. If a person just guessed blindly after this one deduction, they would have a 25% chance of guessing correctly. Thus out of 100 people (let's say that's the worlds population) approximately 25 would guess correctly making it only feasible for 75% of the worlds population to guess wrong. And that's assuming they used no other problem solving skills aside from the one very obvious deduction. Personally I see Einstein as a man of reason and logic but more importantly a man of numbers. I do not see him making a miscalculation like this and view the question as a low brow attempt to give a clever riddle more credability with an impressionable audience.

 

That being said, I found this post pretty entertaining. Thanks.

 

It is entertaining. It is a riddle--a question of logic.

 

Consider that his estimation is likely based on intangibles like patience and focus. It was probably also based on literacy at the time which was lower than it is today. Even so, I agree that the solution is probably achievable by considerably more than two percent of the world's population. I mean, I did it (unless I am wrong--still not certain I did it correctly). I am not stupid, but I am not very good at puzzles or riddles either.

Edited by Sappharan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you take the question at face value, then the answer is the swede. If you think it's a trick question then the answer could be all of them.

 

 

It has to be a trick question. It's illogical that 98% of people guessing a 1 to 4 answer would guess incorrectly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since the answer was told, yeah, it's the Swede.

Now for the dude who said it be all of them... No, that's false.

 

I'm assuming in a math exam, if the question of a specific exercise asks you the speed of the wind (say there are circumstances), you're not going to ask "are we in the north pole or in mexico, because the speed is different" and you're also not going to ask about the weather conditions, are you?

 

There's only one valid/possible/correct answer, and it's the Swede! Congratulations to those who got it. The actual 2% is what, 150m humans that couldn't resolve it? Factor in people under 12 (assume they can't do it) and people over 50 (same), how many people of the 7.3bil is that? I think the 2% could actually be reasonable.

 

 

 

Also, if you think you can only obtain the answer by guessing, well you're in the 98%. Every clue gives you something to work with and eventually (assuming you read the clues properly) you end up with one possible answer. It's a bit like a sudoku puzzle, where you can only place one number at a time, and each time you put one in the grid, it males you able to find another one. It's very similar, and no one -really no one- guesses a sudoku.

Edited by Arkillon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since the answer was told, yeah, it's the Swede.

Now for the dude who said it be all of them... No, that's false.

 

I'm assuming in a math exam, if the question of a specific exercise asks you the speed of the wind (say there are circumstances), you're not going to ask "are we in the north pole or in mexico, because the speed is different" and you're also not going to ask about the weather conditions, are you?

 

There's only one valid/possible/correct answer, and it's the Swede! Congratulations to those who got it. The actual 2% is what, 150m humans that couldn't resolve it? Factor in people under 12 (assume they can't do it) and people over 50 (same), how many people of the 7.3bil is that? I think the 2% could actually be reasonable.

 

 

 

Also, if you think you can only obtain the answer by guessing, well you're in the 98%. Every clue gives you something to work with and eventually (assuming you read the clues properly) you end up with one possible answer. It's a bit like a sudoku puzzle, where you can only place one number at a time, and each time you put one in the grid, it males you able to find another one. It's very similar, and no one -really no one- guesses a sudoku.

 

 

I dunno man, I'm not going to argue the math or the syntax of the riddle. I think it speaks for itself. But it was a good brain twister and a fun read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you take the question at face value, then the answer is the swede. If you think it's a trick question then the answer could be all of them.

 

 

 

As long as the puzzle is left intentionally vague, then yes, it could be all of them.

 

Of course, one could also take it that no one has a cat seeing as how it's never actually mentioned that a cat is one of the five different pets.

 

All house colours, brands, drinks, and nationalities have been mentioned within the clues but no where does it mention any of them having a cat. Then there's the mention of only 2% of people only being able to answer the question which seems odd given there's enough clues to figure out the swede doesn't have a pet.

 

Although, it is very possible that the mention of 98% of people not being able to solve the puzzle and the puzzle being a tad vague could very well be a trick in itself.

 

.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the puzzle. Helped to pass the time when queuing.

 

Answers (from left to right house position):

 

 

Canadian - Green - Prince - Beer - Birds

African - Yellow - Dunhill - Soda - Snakes

Dane - Orange - Pall Mall - Tea - Fish

Swede - Blue - Blue Master - Coffee - Cats

Australian - Red - Blend - Water - Dogs

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.