"Free cartel coins"

Brexten

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who has a bad taste in their mouth reading every month that we get our "free" cartel coins?

Could you please stop calling them free? They are not free! They are part of my sub and I pay money for them...

Yup, pretty much just you.

Why?

Well because from the start, you didn't get any cartel coins with your suscription. They were added later... they are a bonus.

You aren't paying for the cartel coins, you are paying for the advantages of the subscription.

EDIT: actually, by your reasoning nothing could ever be free in a game you pay for...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Why?

Well because from the start, you didn't get any cartel coins with your suscription. They were added later... they are a bonus.

You aren't paying for the cartel coins, you are paying for the advantages of the subscription.

EDIT: actually, by your reasoning nothing could ever be free in a game you pay for...

Pretty much this. Our subscription price has stayed the same, but the monthly cartel coins are extra, something we did not receive before. Therefore they are, by definition, free.

Pretty much this. Our subscription price has stayed the same, but the monthly cartel coins are extra, something we did not receive before. Therefore they are, by definition, free.

They are as free as the third item in "buy 2 get 1 free" sales is. Not really free, but the marketing department labels them so because the sense of something "free" always appeals to the baser human instincts, despite not actually being true.

They are as free as the third item in "buy 2 get 1 free" sales is. Not really free, but the marketing department labels them so because the sense of something "free" always appeals to the baser human instincts, despite not actually being true.

Ok, so let me get this straight...

You pay 15$ a month for a subscription.

Then suddenly they start giving you 500CC at no extra charge.

But those aren't free because you are paying that subscription.

It wasn't part of the original deal (ie. the sub) and just added without any charge. But they are not free.

I assume that by this reasoning, patches are not free either because you have paid for them?

And Galactic Starfighter is not a free expansion either since you have paid your subscription?

How is that not actually true...?

If an item is $5, but buy 2 get 1 free, that means you only pay $10 for three, meaning the third is in fact free.

If you were not given the monthly coins, you would have to buy them, which would be an additional $5 a month, i.e. $20. Since you're only paying $15 a month for subscription + coins, that means the coin are in fact free.

Edited by Beltane

Why?

Yes, indeed.

The distinction between if something in this game is free or not is very simple:

If I can cancel my sub and still get it, it's free.

If I can't, it's part of what I pay for with the sub.

Agreed, they are not free, they are certainly not a gift, but you (OP) are never gonna sway those who, for some reason, are wedded to the idea that they are.

Yes, indeed.

The distinction between if something in this game is free or not is very simple:

Excellently put.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Why?

Well to be fair you could not obtain any CC until the game went F2P but then they threw in the CC so the subscribers would keep subscribing.

So in other words you have been paying for "free" stuff since the game went F2P and for as long as CC existed.

Am I the only one who has a bad taste in their mouth reading every month that we get our "free" cartel coins?

Could you please stop calling them free? They are not free! They are part of my sub and I pay money for them...

Yes, it's just you (and a few others). Who cares if they are free or part of the sub, you get them and you can use them, the actual label applied is irrelevant.

I'm with OP on this one. I hate this marketing blahblah with a passion.

The only free thing about that is the feeling of annoyance when I see my pile of CCs and the fact there are no interesting direct buy items in the market, because all the good stuff goes into the gamble-packs.

Well, by the OP's definition, that makes the entire game P2W because your $15 subscription gives you a distinct advantage over non-subscribers in pretty much every area of the game.

Imagine the horror he must have felt playing subscription-only games where the greedy companies won't even let you play their game unless you give them some cash up front!

How is that not actually true...?

If an item is $5, but buy 2 get 1 free, that means you only pay $10 for three, meaning the third is in fact free.

If you were not given the monthly coins, you would have to buy them, which would be an additional $5 a month, i.e. $20. Since you're only paying $15 a month for subscription + coins, that means the coin are in fact free.

You wouldn`t get that one "free" item if you didn`t buy the other two. So it is not free at all, as you have to make a purchase. In fact it's some kind of volume discount. "Buy two of our items (instead of only one or the products of our competitors) and you get an additional third item for free/at a much reduced price, so our offer reaches an incredibly good and irresistible value for money relation!"

/edit: typo

Edited by Count_Haake

Yes, indeed.

Yes good sir finally someone who gets what I mean. I did not mean it as "troll" I ment it as I wrote up there. Stop calling it "free" and I have no problems with it. I pay for it as part of my sub so it's not free. If I get it as non-sub then it's free otherwise not.

@Rankyn: I did not accuse them of P2W at all. So please stay on topic :)

Edited by Brexten

being able to access entire game without subscription wasn't part of the deal either, so no, subscription doesn't have the same value as it used to, even though it costs the same.

cartel coins are not technically free. they are a store credit.

however - cartel coins you get for having security key? those are most certainly and unequivocally free.

and you know why its relevant? becasue they are used to guilting people into shutting up whenever they bring up all the development that's put into cartel market, vs the rest of the game.

what you call things? matters. its a crucial part of language.

Edited by Jeweledleah

being able to access entire game without subscription wasn't part of the deal either, so no, subscription doesn't have the same value as it used to, even though it costs the same.

however - cartel coins you get for having security key? those are most certainly and unequivocally free.

Well I wasn't talking about the SK CC you get per moth. I was talking about those "free" 500 coins you get per month as a sub.

Yes, indeed.

Oh well that is an interesting view...

By extention one could say that the game isn't free either then since it requires you to have a certain level of PC, so you have to at least buy that before playing.

You are making an idiotic argument here. You are getting them above and beyond what you are paying the sub for. They are a reward for being a subscriber. But you are not paying for them, hence they are free.

And then there is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis

And this: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gratis?s=t

And this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gratis

Edited by OddballEasyEight

and you know why its relevant? becasue they are used to guilting people into shutting up whenever they bring up all the development that's put into cartel market, vs the rest of the game.

what you call things? matters. its a crucial part of language.

Not by that definition... I mean, I paid for my security key, so by the OP's (and your) definition i paid for the CC I get each month.