Austin Tx Community Cantina

ChillingFear

I quoted my post as a reply to your accusation.

You didn't read that part, obviously.

Quite honestly, I think you just want to make me look like that (or you just don't know what "dictatorial" really means) because you're trying really hard to distort what I said.

And to answer your question, no there are no pre-requisites. Anyone can ask anything they want and that's great.

But if the point of Cantinas is to get together with the devs, have fun and (hopefully) learn something about what's coming up next for the game, asking the same question (regardless of whether I want to see that feature, too) is pointless. For instance, asking about class stories when they said less than a month ago that they are not currently working on new ones, is pointless. It might be something you and I both want to see, but the question is still pointless (and was answered recently).

I put the blame equally on Bioware (for not having a better communication with their players) and the players themselves, not because they're not asking the "right" questions for me, but because they are asking the same thing over and over again.

And, just for the record, I never "blamed" you specifically for your questions or for not remembering the rest of them. And I also said that if something major (or even, simply new) was asked and answered then you would've remembered it - that's all.

Again, you're simply ignoring what I said and distorting it to make me look like the bad guy.

I'm happy you had a good time and that you want to thank you thread for the devs and everything else you said. And it was nice of you to share the information about the event for the rest of us who don't live close to where those events happen,so thanks for that.

But you say that you wanted to also "spark PRODUCTIVE conversation about anything regarding the Cantina".

So that was my criticism, not to you but to the people who go to cantinas in general - asking the same questions, combined with Bioware's "we can't comment yet" stance, leads nowhere.

Funny how my "ask different questions" is dictatorial, but anything that doesn't fit into what you consider "productive" should be left unsaid. :rolleyes:

Now, I'm kind of bored with this whole thing.

I'm trying to explain something to you and you just take it personally and refuse to read what I wrote.

If you still think this is a personal attack then PM me.

No need to PM you, you have your OPINIONS on certain things and your opinionated views at to what is productive and what isnt, because something was asked and had a response before means you shouldn't ask it again by your standards got it. Im bored too, so unless you plan on changing topic and discussing something else instead of writing long novels and deterring my post here, please stop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to PM you, you have your OPINIONS on certain things and your opinionated views at to what is productive and what isnt, because something was asked and had a response before means you shouldn't ask it again by your standards got it. Im bored too, so unless you plan on changing topic and discussing something else instead of writing long novels and deterring my post here, please stop

You're right. I'm sorry I'm deterring your post.

Next time I see a post from you that I want to reply to, I'll be sure to use the 140-word Twitter limit. Reading is hard.

You're right. I'm sorry I'm deterring your post.

Next time I see a post from you that I want to reply to, I'll be sure to use the 140-word Twitter limit. Reading is hard.

And I see maturity isnt one of your strong qualities, again please just stop, your not accomplishing nothing here and neither am I, you have succeeded in turning a whole page of my thread into a childish debate over opinons though so good for you. If your so determined to have the last word then im sure you'll post again and win that, beause im done with this petty back and forth with you.

Edited by ChillingFear

It would be nice to know what they are working on.

Seems a lot of questions were answered with depends if their is the demand for it. So outside of the Galactic Star Fighter team what is being worked on by the other teams? Fair play if they want to see if GS is popular before working on new maps, they want to see how ranked PvP arenas work out before working on too much new stuff for it.

But if you can't speak on those things it would be nice to know what the next chapter in the story is going to be. The Dread Masters is finally played out and its a new story arc yet they haven't spoke on this yet. It would be nice to hear about this if they can't speak on the other things.

Agreed. The dont' have to give specifics but I would like to no the direction. Also, I would be interested in finding out how they measure demand for features and content specifically.

Agreed. The dont' have to give specifics but I would like to no the direction.

I agree with you.

But you and I both know how such disclosure would be abused by a biased minority of forum membership as a weapon against both the devs and the game. And from there.. it quickly becomes internet urban legend, followed by much anguish over virtual slaps to the face, virtual betrayal, and any other virtual nonsense that can be drummed up. :)

Also, I would be interested in finding out how they measure demand for features and content specifically.

Heh... me too. Clearly though.... we are not specifically entitled to know. :p

Luna, I went last night and got to talk a good bit to Charles Boyd, as well as Courtney, and I asked about the class stories, about companion stories, and about faction-based stories. It's a standard answer because they're not making any more. Maybe sometime far in the future, but there's none in development - no class-based stories, no companion stories. What you'll see is class snippets buried in the faction-based stories.

It's one of the big reasons that I've largely stopped playing. It's like when you start reading a good book and then realize that the author stopped before the end. Just makes you want to put it down and walk away. No point in getting attached to characters or wondering what will happen with this or that, cause they won't ever tell you, and given the number of hanging threads in the class and companion storylines...yeah, I walked away for the most part. My swtor gaming is now limited to raiding one night a week with friends.

That said, the event was a lot of fun, and the BioWare employees and developers are genuinely nice people. It's pretty clear that the writers would like to continue those class and companion storylines, but well...anyway. The group, as a whole, is pretty excited about the galactic starfighter expansion, so for those who are interested in space pvp - congrats! Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad some people are getting new content. If you guys ever get a chance to go to a cantina tour, do. If nothing else, it's good to know the developers are real people rather than some faceless maniacal code-monster out to destroy you ;)

Thanks so much for asking them and for taking a moment to answer me personally. I know that you appreciate story, because I remember seeing you around the fan fiction forums, and you even left some kind remarks for the one I did. :) Sadly I just feel like all the air has been let out of my balloon now...I guess I was afraid that, that might be the case, and that would pretty much spell the end of the road for me here, just like it did for you.

You have the perfect analogy there, it's just like that, a group of writers that left their story unfinished, with dangling ends. Those little snippets in the generic faction stories, just aren't enough to sustain me...it's weak.

Like you too, I have zero interest in pvp, it's all about story and lifestyle stuff to me here. I liked to play dress up, and have dressed my 22 toons and all their comps in lovely clothes, and all there is left for me to do is run dailies to make money to change these clothes when something else I like crops up. I'm getting to the point where I can't stomach the dailies, and I had to retire one of my main crafters, an armormech, because I can't sell what I craft anymore...no one wants it, because it's class/armour specific and none of it is as nice as the cash shop things for sale on the market. There is no talk of player housing, and even though they said 'never say never' it just sounds like something they'd say to keep people hanging on and paying. :(

It's hard to let go of something you get attached too, and care about...I am very attached to my toons and their comps, it was a lot of fun for me, but I guess that's it, all good things *do* come to an end, and I'm going to have a good long think here to see if it's worth keeping a sub in a game that has nothing for me to do anymore.

Thanks though, I appreciate that you took the time to find out. :)

If there are questions that the community feels are not getting answered, this is how I suggest a pseudo "interview" could be done to address those questions.

First, try to get someone from the community that is widely respected on board...like Duffy (Iwipe). Then start a thread, or convince Duffy (or whomever is chosen) to start a thread in general where community members can post their questions.

Someone would have to work to compile all of the questions, edit the common ones out to create a concise list, then have folks participating in the thread vote on the questions chosen. I would suggest a 20 question maximum limit.

Then, an email can be sent off to a particular chosen dev. Whether or not they answer is naturally up to them.

We all know the forums are a small minority of players. I'm sure they read the forums very well... but it's only one data point they use in their planning. And frankly, that's the way it should be.

I would have thought you would have felt good about them stating in a Cantina event that they will "never say never". That leaves the door wide open for more class story later on.

Unfortunately I don't feel good about the 'never say never'. It sounds like something they'd say hoping to keep people hanging on, when they darn well know they'll lose those people, if there is no hope.

IamtheHoyden spoke to them in depth about the storylines, and it seems like it's the end of the road...both for the stories and for me.

It's hard to let go of something you enjoy and have gotten attached too, but when all there is, is talk and planning for pvp...something I'm not interested in, and the coffin lid has been pretty much nailed shut a little tighter on stories...and no talk of player housing or decorating...well, there just isn't enough left for me to do. I'm pretty much at the point, where I'm going to cut someone, if I have to do another daily run, and playing just to craft the odd dye isn't much fun really. My other crafter had to retire, because I can't unload the armor she makes, owing to nicer and more versatile cash shop offerings. I'm feeling pretty down right now...and yeah, I have to seriously consider if it's worth me staying...and I have been here since launch, and subbed without interruption. That kind of loyalty isn't easy to come by, and I'm thinking they've just lost mine, the way I feel atm.

Unfortunately I don't feel good about the 'never say never'. It sounds like something they'd say hoping to keep people hanging on, when they darn well know they'll lose those people, if there is no hope.

IamtheHoyden spoke to them in depth about the storylines, and it seems like it's the end of the road...both for the stories and for me.

Lucas took a 20 year vacation on episodes for the SW movies too. Yet... they continue on later in time. He had the screenplay for all episodes essentially done before the first movie.. but yet... years passed between trilogies. The same is true for SWTOR.. they have admitted they have volumes of voice overs on the shelf.. but no commercial desire at this time to integrate them into the game. And we now know the voice overs and their scripting is not where the time and effort lies. Now I also bet a lot of that just gets scrapped in time due to the evolution of the game.. so that's a lost opportunity.. but then again.. the hordes lost faith in the game early on and pulled the rug out from under class story progression IMO. It sucks, but it is what it is.

To me, the fact that they do not put a stake in the ground and say never... means class story can and will return when it makes sense for them to do so. Commercial sense...because at the end of the day.. it's a business not a subsidy for peoples passions.

Edited by Andryah

Lucas took a 20 year vacation on episodes for the SW movies too. Yet... they continue on later in time. He had the screenplay for all episodes essentially done before the first movie.. but yet... years passed between trilogies. The same is true for SWTOR.. they have admitted they have volumes of voice overs on the shelf.. but no commercial desire at this time to integrate them into the game. And we now know the voice overs and their scripting is not where the time and effort lies. Now I also bet a lot of that just gets scrapped in time due to the evolution of the game.. so that's a lost opportunity.. but then again.. the hordes lost faith in the game early on and pulled the rug out from under class story progression IMO. It sucks, but it is what it is.

To me, the fact that they do not put a stake in the ground and say never... means class story can and will return when it makes sense for them to do so. Commercial sense...because at the end of the day.. it's a business not a subsidy for peoples passions.

Well, I didn't have to pay Mr. Lucas while I waited for the installments to come out. And I guess commercial sense is going to have to get shown to them by pulling out subs and cash shop money. After all if they're not going to provide me with the content I wish to play, then there is no point in me subsidizing stuff that has no interest to me. It's business, and only the stupid pay for something that has lost it's value. :/

Somehow I feel that 20 year vacation is not going to work in this case.

Never say never is actually a reasonably good sign with this dev staff. After many "never" contentions from the original dev staff, like no appearance change after creation, no change to visual progression, no animal mounts, shortened quick travel cooldowns, etc...the new staff provided all of these things and more.

They certainly seem more open to abandoning the draconian restrictions of the prior dev team and thinking "outside the box".

Somehow I feel that 20 year vacation is not going to work in this case.

I think the point is that consumers of SW continue to come back to the genre. A huge part of that are the stories. So, BW can choose to dance around it all they want but ultimately, the way to bring players back and attract new players is to continue the stories to some degree. Class stories is something BW is going to have to deal with for longevity. It may happen later rather than sooner but I agree that it will happen.

I think what people are misinterpreting when they hear "not enough demand, no plans" is that it's the players who aren't providing "enough demand". Between the forums, and the fact that they get asked for more story, it seems like, at every single "Cantina Tour" stop, I think it's clear that that's not the case. No, rather, there is not enough demand from the people holding the purse strings, who want the game marketed to the raid-griding crowd, the PvP-hardcorez group, and, of course, the "more money than sense" Cartel Market piñatas.

Story content is just too hard for them to monetize when they're mainly targeting hardcore MMO crowd.

when they're mainly targeting hardcore MMO crowd.

That is NOT their target audience.

I agree with you that class story is hard to monetize. It's expensive to do 8 stories instead of 2, and the players gobble it up just as fast. So yeah, commercially it's not the best way to spend dev budget. But this MMO is by no means targeted at hardcore MMO players. It audience targeting is much broader then that.

You don't have to pay Bioware while you wait either, fortunately.

You're right, I don't. And I just cancelled my subscription and gave them a detailed comment as to why.

I'm not going to make a thread to say good bye or rant about why I left.

I'll just say my good byes here. Thanks to IamtheHoyden, Callaron, you two were always particularly kind to me here.

Take care everyone, it's been nice. I have 20 days left, but I may as well start getting used to giving this up.

May the force be with you always.

Edited by Lunafox

I think the point is that consumers of SW continue to come back to the genre. A huge part of that are the stories. So, BW can choose to dance around it all they want but ultimately, the way to bring players back and attract new players is to continue the stories to some degree. Class stories is something BW is going to have to deal with for longevity. It may happen later rather than sooner but I agree that it will happen.

I'm still not going to wait and pay monthly fees for 20 years for the sake of waiting. Nor should anyone else.

Edited by Beansoup

You're right, I don't. And I just cancelled my subscription and gave them a detailed comment as to why.

I'll just say my good byes here. Thanks to IamtheHoyden, Calloron, you two were always particularly kind to me here.

Take care everyone, it's been nice. I have 20 days left, but I may as well start getting used to giving this up.

Sorry to hear that Luna. You will be missed. I hope you continue to check in because I am optimistic that some semblance of Class stories will continue giving you an opportunity to come back. Nevertheless, we will keep the lights on.

Sorry to hear that Luna. You will be missed. I hope you continue to check in because I am optimistic that some semblance of Class stories will continue giving you an opportunity to come back. Nevertheless, we will keep the lights on.

Thanks Rafaman, that's so nice of you to say. :) I will keep an eye out, and hope they wise up and find a way to give us indi class stories. If they come up with housing and decent storytelling, I'll come back, but I'm not going to pay while I wait anymore.

Lucas took a 20 year vacation on episodes for the SW movies too. Yet... they continue on later in time. He had the screenplay for all episodes essentially done before the first movie.. but yet... years passed between trilogies.

Just to keep this accurate, what you're saying is not exactly true. Lucas had several notebooks full of plots and story ideas that would originally have been FOUR trilogies, but by the time Star Wars was made, had been pared down to THREE trilogies.

He did not have the actual screenplays for ANY of the rest of them done before the first movie. In fact, as the screenplays were written for each movie, significant plot points, characters, and locations changed... occasionally a LOT.

Thanks Rafaman, that's so nice of you to say. :) I will keep an eye out, and hope they wise up and find a way to give us indi class stories. If they come up with housing and decent storytelling, I'll come back, but I'm not going to pay while I wait anymore.

I completely disagree with your choice of factions/classes/companions to like or dislike but you've been one of the most vocal proponents of class stories on the forum, so I'm really bummed to see you leaving. Class stories are what made me want to play TOR as something more than a break from WOW, and some of the characters have become some of my favorite in fiction. It's becoming harder and harder for me to justify subbing, as well.

Edited by Lesaberisa

I'll just say my good byes here. Thanks to IamtheHoyden, Callaron, you two were always particularly kind to me here.

My sub's a 6 month so mine is up in Feb, but I'll be following you out when it's up, I believe. It's been lovely to have you around, Luna, and I hope you find another game that you find fun. If they ever wise up and continue the class and companion stories, I hope to see you again.

My sub's a 6 month so mine is up in Feb, but I'll be following you out when it's up, I believe. It's been lovely to have you around, Luna, and I hope you find another game that you find fun. If they ever wise up and continue the class and companion stories, I hope to see you again.

Thanks a lot *hugs*

I hope you find something fun too. It'll be tough, because nothing compares to the story and voice acting here that I know of. If indi class and companion extensions are brought in, I hope to see you again too. Take care. :)

I completely disagree with your choice of factions/classes/companions to like or dislike but you've been one of the most vocal proponents of class stories on the forum, so I'm really bummed to see you leaving. Class stories are what made me want to play TOR as something more than a break from WOW, and some of the characters have become some of my favorite in fiction. It's becoming harder and harder for me to justify subbing, as well.

I know we might not have always agreed on things, but you always had my respect. The class stories are what set this apart, and raised the bar for games, and makes this hard to equal. Maybe one day the devs will get that, and find a way. In the mean time, you take care, and we still have our memories. :)