What is the point of Expertice

sdjonsson

Expertise is a mechanic that ensures players who are wearing top-tier gear that is very hard to obtain(NiM OPs) do not dominate PvP with it. The idea of expertise is to make pvp less gear dependant than it otherwise would be.

Look at it this way. With expertise, players who don't have pvp gear are at a disadvantage. However to remove that disadvantage, relatively little effort is needed(couple weeks of solo-queueing PvP will do).

Without expertise, there also would be a gear gap, but one that would be very hard to cope with (you cannot just solo-queue for nightmare operations for a couple of weeks and get the gear that way). Which means players who are not dedicated raiders would face a brick wall in pvp, and everyone would complain that they want pvp, not pve, but the game forces them to.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I fail to see the point of expertice on gear, I mean, it is capped at 2018, and no matter what gear you are wearing, you get bolstered to that cap the moment you join a warzone.

I read a post about a guy, full PvP geared, with 19xx expertice, but what is the point, he said himself, that when joining a warzone, he get bolstered to 2018.

So please tell me, why is PVP gear better than PvE gear ?

You aren't serious! Many pvpe'rs don't care to take pve gear throw raids. I am one of them.Maybe you like raids and op's , some not.Why to go to flashpoint or op for 3-5 hours? Is a waste of time. And besides stop crying. A large amount of the community have job's,real life to spend and little time to play (3-6 hours more or less).Why to force to do pve to get gear as you say? Use your brain first before write something here!

For me will be better if bioware fix the bolster and in 55 wz's exp points will be apply ONLY who wear pvp gear.

So if you want to pvp without exp points to be dead in 1 smash-hit. That is the proper.

Anyone who care for pvp, can cap the ranked tokens and normal before 55 so when hit the final lvl to take some pieces of conq and obroan armor. Is so easy. But you cry maybe because you didnt care for pvp at all and you want to do 'everything' with your pve gear.This isn't make any sense.If you don't like then don't pvp at all.Will be better for anyone...

The bolster system is confusing. I've been trying to build my endurance up on my toon (always nice to have a lot of hps in PvP) and noticed some things do and some things don't make a difference. Like when I augment my gear with more endurance I see a nice boost in WZs, but when I bought the nice lvl 10 +41 end crystals for my newest toon I saw jack of a raise, it's confusing.

The constant stream of abuse from the so called 'elite' PvPers for not wearing the top tier you do not own is enough to put a lot of people off, PvP is now an elitist club where the chosen few get to dominate.

I've never been fully geared and have never felt this way. Of course being the forum ho I am; I at least try to get a minimum, which currently is pretty much as long as you have all but implant ear and relics augmented, you're probably good to go in regs.

Of course; you would have a hard time knowing this if you don't visit the forums and keep up. Likely; a lot of players expect bolster to just take care of it all. That is more of a development issue to me rather than blaming the people who react poorly to the ill-informed. The devs, with bolster; have made it more confusing to new players at the same time they tried to make it more accessible.

Remove the Bolster. Bring back the [prototype] recruit pvp gear.

The bolster has so many leaks... Remember playing naked that makes you stronger/equal to max tier pvp gear? Now this joke with <54 gear and the max expertise you get with it. Mixing modifications makes you stronger then full obroan.

The bolster has so many leaks... Remember playing naked that makes you stronger/equal to max tier pvp gear? Now this joke with <54 gear and the max expertise you get with it. Mixing modifications makes you stronger then full obroan.

I was just thinking; they said something about making recruit gear strong enough to be baseline wound up being too strong for free gear. What if they brought it back, but made it to where you only got it's stats in a warzone and the only stat it had on it was expertise to total 2018. Then; require you to have 2018 expertise to Q (at 55) and if you tried to Q without 2018, it would pop up a message saying "You must have 2018 expertise stat. To do this, please equip full PvP gear. If you do not have PvP gear, sets are available for free at the PvP vendors on the fleet."

Heck. You could make it mandatory starting at level 10 to use the recruit gear since the stats would only activate in warzones. Maybe call it "Bolster Gear" instead. Make it require a specific class so people are not picking what they like the looks of

Yeah pretty much this. No idea why they thought giving 2018 (top) expertise to someone without one piece of pvp gear was a good idea. It should have scaled down to below Conqueror levels. Oberon > Conq > pve gear. It's not brain surgery.

I didn't mind the recruit gear but I understand why they got rid of it; a lot of players didn't even know it existed or outright refused to put it on because it had less "stats" (those were some of the things I had heard in WZ's at the time anyway). I like to see bolster removed from 55 and bring back the recruit gear as the first pvp mission at 55. Or at least tone down the bolster to 'recruit' levels for any slot without expertise (level 55).

It's dumb when people can figure out that mix-matching a weapon with various levels of pve mods can get better stats with full expertise than an Oberon weapon (not blaming those that figured it out, blaming BW for half-assing the bolster). It's dumb when someone can say put on all level 10 greens and you'll get better stats. The whole thing seemed flim-flamed and rushed yet still, after all this time, nothing has been done about it. :confused:

Edited by Ridickilis

Says the person with a Expertise cap. But for those of us without, we're fodder. You NEED expertise, but you have to have it to get it. It's a barrier to entry that basically changes what was a fun aspect of the game(Huttball is amazing pre-50) to a slog where you are dead ALL the time and just being on the team is enough of a handicap that you are going to lose and get less point, which means you will be a liability for that much longer.

Nevermind when you are out questing or something and someone with a full set of pvp gear decides to be a dick(for some reason it's always Ops and Shadows) then all you can do is die.

Every time an MMO game(pick one, even WoW has done this) adds a stat to make the pvp more "balanced" and "fun", all it really does is alienate the people it was supposed to help and end up pissing off at least half the player base.

Where do I get my free epics to enter top level operations with top level gear and clear them? This thing is a barrier to me so I can play them... I DEMAND FREE PVE GEAR, THE BEST OF IT FROM THE START.

Edited by Xanas

never got bolster at level 55 anyway. I does not take more than a week to get full conqueror now (obroan if you dont do ranked is a different story, but the difference is not that big at all). I guess every fresh 55 can go through a week of pain before slowly striking back :p

never got bolster at level 55 anyway. I does not take more than a week to get full conqueror now (obroan if you dont do ranked is a different story, but the difference is not that big at all). I guess every fresh 55 can go through a week of pain before slowly striking back :p

What I don't understand is how they can put up with PVE grind but not PVP... Meh...

I'm almost completely lost as to why this wasn't done from the beginning. The reason Wow separated pvp gear from pve was because they were concerned pve'ers would get pissed that pvp'ers got raid level gear from doing warzones. But then pve'ers got pissed because they couldn't pvp with their pve gear. They aren't going to be happy with pvp'ers no matter what. It's probably too late to fix it now.

It was actually the other way around - hardcore/top end PvEers were mopping the floor with PvPers because of their gear.

Says the person with a Expertise cap.

Says a person who had ZERO PvP gear a month prior to 2.4, took that month to work PvP and am now only two pieces shy of full PvP gear (granted a mix of Partisan, Conqueror, and Oberan). And that is with taking the last three week off from PvP entirely.

The separation of pvp and pve stats in an already low population game serves no purpose aside from alienating players and creating gear walls for content.

Im not sure what the solution is, but blocking players from entering pve or pvp via a gear wall is certainly not it.

But the funny thing is the gear wall doesnt exist for PvP...just for PVE. Because bolster.

So, as you say in the Original thread question...whats the point?

There is none. Stupid rules not well thought out are stupid.

Please qualify "low population." 500k subs + over a million F2P is nothing to sneeze at. Sure it's not the WoW 13 million (at its peak), but ANYONE who thinks that any MMO will ever reach that level again, is deluding themselves. 500k subscriptions is significant.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I fail to see the point of expertice on gear, I mean, it is capped at 2018, and no matter what gear you are wearing, you get bolstered to that cap the moment you join a warzone.

I read a post about a guy, full PvP geared, with 19xx expertice, but what is the point, he said himself, that when joining a warzone, he get bolstered to 2018.

So please tell me, why is PVP gear better than PvE gear ?

Because hitting a pve gear player with 2018 expertize in pvp for 11k mauls while in full pvp gear is fun. Then that person says in /say chat wow what was I hit with. There your point Bolster will never fully protect you like gear that was made for pvp.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.