Help with some of the jargon

xxxquarkxxx

Hi, I've been playing a while but some of the acronyms and jargon that are used in the chat windows and posts here are baffling me. Is there a dictionary of some sort to reference?

For example, DPS? I take it this means damage per second, but the way it is used in sentences makes me think I might be wrong.

Tanks and/or Tanking? A well armored, but slow character?

Mobs? (I thought this meant large crowds of people, but apparently it means only one?)

There are many more, but you get the gist. Thanks in advance for your help.

DPS does stand for damage per second although is more commonly used to identify a damage dealing role, class or player.

EG: "Looking for 3 more DPS for..." means they are looking for 3 more players to fill the damage dealing role.

Tank also refers to a role, class or player that has very high defensive abilities and should be taking most of the damage and focus of enemies. Tanks do not have a reduced movement speed and can be very maneuverable although are not as mobile as some other classes.

Mobs means groups of enemies, either players or NPCs (non player characters). Mobs can also be used as a term for a single or group of weaker enemies that usually do not grant large rewards, another term for this is "trash" or "trash mobs".

Using the term "mob" to refer to enemies is a holdover from MUD's(Multi-User Dungeons), the text-based precursors of MMOG's. It's short for "mobile", used to refer to any object that moved itself(as opposed to being moved by players), mostly enemies but also friendly NPC's.

PUG = Pick-up Group

A randomly created group where you can't expect any well-coordinated play. Often used in a more or less derogative way by elitist guild players, though not exclusively and also not completely unjustified ;-)

Edited by Count_Haake

I had the same problem in the beginning, it took a while before I got the whole "LF" and all the similar ones to it.

What is LF?

Thanks everyone for the responses, but there are many more terms I don't understand. Is there an online index or dictionary of some sort?

Usually LF means, "looking for". LFG, looking for group. LF1M, looking for one more; etc.

Other stuffs you'll see, such as WTB or WTS are willing (want) to buy / willing (want) to sell.

I find putting the acronyms into google along with "in MMO's" helps. Places such as Urban Dictionary usually shows up at the top of the search and will have a good answer.

Edited by Ridickilis

While we are at it, what exactly are "mezzes" and "procs"?

No idea what "mezzes" could stand for, "proc/s" can either be a noun or a verb. Refers to either abilities that activate or have effects with a certain probability. For example: my mercenary's Seeker Missile has a certain probability to reset the cooldown of Discharge. If that happens it is said that Discharge has procced (however people write it).

What was once "DD" = "damage dealer" has now become "DPS" in common forum discussions, I have no idea, why.

Besides, does anyone know where the word "mezz" originally comes from ? I haven't the slightest clue ...

So many acronyms...so little time to teach you, my young grasshoppers...

" MEZZ" is short for mesmerize. It is a C.C. ( crowd control ) ability. In SWTOR, jedi shadows use "mezz" to incapacitate an NPC ( Non Playable Character) or a PC ( Playable Character) for 60 seconds, rendering them useless to fight you, unless they use a C.C. breaker or someone uses an AOE (Area Of Effect) around them that breaks the C.C. and lets them loose. For some more understanding or more terms, you can go HERE .

Hope that helps. May the Force Be With You !!!

While we are at it, what exactly are "mezzes" and "procs"?

Proc is short for procedural effect. In typical parlance it refers to actions, buffs/debuffs, and other combat effects that have a chance to occur or require an ability or sequence of actions to occur. Some abilities only become available once the prerequisite buff has "proc'd" (occurred). Some procedural effects eliminate or shorten cooldowns, some increase damage or healing on specific abilities. Many of the relics you can equip are "proc" relics that have a chance to fire off a buff when the requirements are met.

It is important to know that technically speaking, mezzes break on damage (like blinds and sleeps), while "stuns" do not break on damage. Some definitions call them CCs (Crowd Controls), some definitions only call mezzes CCs.

Snares or slows refer to effects under which a player or mob's movement speed is reduced. A root is a x0 multiplier (immobilization).

Proc, short for "procedure" from what i've been told a long time ago, refers to a probabilistic action; so tracer missile has a chance to finish the cooldown on unload and make the next unload free. Technically, Tracer Missile's 100% chance to give Tracer Lock is a proc.

A buff, aka "positive effect" is a small icon by default on the left side of your character pane above your portrait. 99% of these can be removed manually by right-clicking them. On the other hand, a debuff, aka "negative effect" is a small icon be default on the right side of the portrait. These can never be removed manually.

A clense, according to official SWTOR vocabulary is defined by SWTOR to be an ability that removes a specific number of negative effects from the target. Some examples of clenses is Tox Screen by the operative or Purge (will be renamed Expunge), the sorcerer's clense. On the other hand, a purge, according to official SWTOR vocabulary is defined by SWTOR to be an ability that removes all "removable negative effects." The only two in the game are Evasion and Force Shroud.

What was once "DD" = "damage dealer" has now become "DPS" in common forum discussions, I have no idea, why.

Besides, does anyone know where the word "mezz" originally comes from ? I haven't the slightest clue ...

Everquest 1, the crowd control class was the Enchanter whose main control spell was called "Mesmerize", which naturally evolved into "mezz that target!!" :-)

mezzes are things like the agents "flashbang" and other classes have similiar abilities that do such things, basically a prolonged stun that lasts for more than 4 seconds. Can also be used in combat or not in combat, whereas the 4 second stun only hits one target. Its basic function is crowd control.

Also the mmo terms link above is best for you to go to.

Edited by DisturbedMalak

mezzes are things like the agents "flashbang" and other classes have similiar abilities that do such things, basically a prolonged stun that lasts for more than 4 seconds. Can also be used in combat or not in combat, whereas the 4 second stun only hits one target. Its basic function is crowd control.

Also the mmo terms link above is best for you to go to.

Again, it's important to remember that, in general, when someone refers to a MEZZ, they are referring to a 60-second lockdown that is broken by any damage; and when they refer to a STUN they are referring to a shorter-duration lockdown that is NOT broken by damage.

These are good questions and important things to know (so you don't inadvertently break somebody's mez)!

Again, it's important to remember that, in general, when someone refers to a MEZZ, they are referring to a 60-second lockdown that is broken by any damage; and when they refer to a STUN they are referring to a shorter-duration lockdown that is NOT broken by damage.

These are good questions and important things to know (so you don't inadvertently break somebody's mez)!

QFT

...I just assumed it to be in a pvp situation where the usual is around 6-8seconds, outside of players it is indeed 60seconds.

Never even heard/read the term "Mezz/to mezz" before. Doesn't seem like a incredibly wide-spread term (especially not in Non-English-speaking (sub)communities, but have read it here in this thread for the first time in the international part of the SWTOR forums as well). Edited by Count_Haake

What are "lockouts" and "guild progression"?

A "lockout" indicates that you are "locked out" of doing something for a specific period of time. For exemple, [Daily] and [Heroic] quests can only be completed once a day where "day" is comprised of the period of time between the reset times (12:00 GMT for European servers). Basically, if you hand in a [Daily] or [Heroic] quest at 11:00 you can acquire and do the quest again at 12:01 of the same day; on the other hand if you hand in a [Daily] or [Heroic] quest at 13:00 you can only acquire and do the quest again at 12:01 of the next day. Some "lockouts" are longer, like for exemple those associated with Operations, which last a week (where "week" starts and ends on Tuesdays :)).

"guild progression" refers to how far along a guild is in clearing the end-game content, which is generally speaking talking about how far along they are in an Operation. So if an Operation has 5 bosses, and a guild has killed 2 of those bosses the "guild progression" is considered to be 2/5.

Hope that helps.