Please add war zones to the ranked queues

SlightlySychotic

The solo & group ranking Q should not be separated and they should cover both arenas & WZs.

The bigger group you queue less points you get for winning and more you loose for loosing of course.

The biggest reward should be for a group of solo Q's to beat a full 4/8 premade. The same with "punishment" for loosing; if you Q as solo you loose less ranking when defeated than let's say a premade of 3 that were in the same group or match as you.

There "rewards" for winning/loosing should be based just on that; the composition of both teams.

Imho you should be able to Q for ranked as a group of 2,3,4, 5, 6,7, 8. The rewards just degrades the bigger group you Q unless you play against the same composition.

You are making a few assumptions here that I don't necessarily agree with.

1) You are assuming that the people doing ranked 4s weren't the ones doing ranked 8v8. Which is not true, it's all the same people.

2) You are assuming the people premading regs are doing so because they want objective based PvP. Which is not true, I assure you they are either getting gear or are still butthurt from losing to the handful of good teams in the ranked queue. They also may just prefer casual gaming with friends over competitive team ranked, which is fine as well.

3) You assume that PvP dailies are inflating the economy. Which is not true, it's 100% PvE dailies and operations where you easily make 10x the amount you do in PvP. Dailies in PvP are like 10k for finishing and like 7k per warzone. I can get 150-200k easily in the old Belsavis dailies in about an hour. But regardless, if it was a problem it could specifically be a commendation reward for doing ranked to further increase the speed at which ranked gets you top tier gear. I would, of course, only offer this to 4v4 ranked or you'll get people with absolutely no gear doing solo ranked just for the daily.

I honestly don't believe combining 4v4 and 8v8 ranked will increase the queue. If anything, it will turn anyone who only prefers one over the other away on the off chance they get what they don't want. There are far too many problems with the current warzones when they are played competitively that make them exceptionally unfun and it would require many changes on BW's part to get them ready for ranked again. But I certainly respect your opinion and appreciate your willingness to generate ideas to improve ranked, keep them coming.

You are making a few assumptions here that I don't necessarily agree with.

1) You are assuming that the people doing ranked 4s weren't the ones doing ranked 8v8. Which is not true, it's all the same people.

2) You are assuming the people premading regs are doing so because they want objective based PvP. Which is not true, I assure you they are either getting gear or are still butthurt from losing to the handful of good teams in the ranked queue. They also may just prefer casual gaming with friends over competitive team ranked, which is fine as well.

3) You assume that PvP dailies are inflating the economy. Which is not true, it's 100% PvE dailies and operations where you easily make 10x the amount you do in PvP. Dailies in PvP are like 10k for finishing and like 7k per warzone. I can get 150-200k easily in the old Belsavis dailies in about an hour. But regardless, if it was a problem it could specifically be a commendation reward for doing ranked to further increase the speed at which ranked gets you top tier gear. I would, of course, only offer this to 4v4 ranked or you'll get people with absolutely no gear doing solo ranked just for the daily.

I honestly don't believe combining 4v4 and 8v8 ranked will increase the queue. If anything, it will turn anyone who only prefers one over the other away on the off chance they get what they don't want. There are far too many problems with the current warzones when they are played competitively that make them exceptionally unfun and it would require many changes on BW's part to get them ready for ranked again. But I certainly respect your opinion and appreciate your willingness to generate ideas to improve ranked, keep them coming.

I'm not assuming anything, quite contrary i try to move away from assumptions as far as possible.

On the other hand you seem to be very certain in things like; why do people play pvp at all.

Are those "facts" based on some kind of research or are you just assuming?

If you make a conclusion based on the things you find here (pvp forum) two things seem to trouble pvp community the most:

1.long waiting for Q in ranked

2. team composition in solo ranked

What can you do regarding the 1. problem?

Put all maps in one Q. Is it ideal? Far from it, imo. Would it be better from what we have now? I think so.

As for the 2. problem you need to put more parameters in equation of how you calculate the rating at the end of the match.

As i said in previous post; if you queue as a team of 8 you have some serious advantages against lets say a team consisting of 4 solo Q's and a group of 4. (teamspeak, perfect team composition...)

The team with more advantages should get less for winning and lose more after a loss.

You can take other parameters in equation (a team with 2 healers against a team with none).

Maybe my propositions for those parameters are a complete nonsense but the fact stays; the more parameters you put in the equation, the more accurate answer you get.

I believe he was talking to me, but thanks for trying to keep this thread alive.

As for me, it comes down to this: no matter what, I am never going to enjoy arenas as much as warzones. Even if they add a ranked only daily, it's not going to be enough to coax me into keep playing ranked arenas once I had my gear. And that's assuming that they can ever be made viable: I see enough anti-arena posts and threads on this forum that I tend to believe there are many people who would rather just not play arenas, at least not exclusively. And that's a problem because ultimately you want people to progress beyond the general queue and onto ranked matches. So I, as a solo player, am always going to want solo ranked warzones. Doesn't need to be exclusive; I'm fine with doing an arena every now and then as long as they're role-balanced.

Sadly, that also means I need some form of ranked group warzones. Because we all know what would happen if they announced solo ranked warzones and not group ones: groups that want to do ranked warzones would have a fit. People would quit or at least threaten to quit. In game, you would see the same premades just solo queuing -- possibly on a much broader scale. It would eventually kill the solo queue and/or BW would be forced to add in ranked group warzones again. It won't be 8v8 -- they already tried that, it failed, it's never coming back. The only even viable option is what I've put forth. So, yes, I need some form of ranked group warzones for solo ranked warzones to work.

Maybe it'll be bad. Maybe it'll be good. Maybe the four-man groups won't be able to compete. Maybe they will. Maybe you'll start to see smaller PvP guilds merge into larger ones so that they can compete. Maybe most premades don't want to be competitive; maybe they're just looking for easy wins and they'll abuse the solo queue anyway. Maybe this will encourage new premades to form, competitive premades. That's a lot of maybes over whether something might or might not work, and all we know for certain is that what he have now isn't working. You can't get better if you don't try something new.

There are no perfect solutions. Anyone who says that any one change will make the game better are fooling themselves -- be it instituting cross-server queues or nerfing smash. They will need to balance classes and tweak the warzones to address certain problems. But they need to make those changes anyway. The road is long and it is not easy, but right now we are staring at a dead end and we need to change paths if we want to get anywhere else.

Arenas are the reason why I cancelled my sub. sick of them popping all too often. Logic says, balance classes first then introduce a new format of play. But no, this is Bioware and they always do things THEIR way, which 8/10 fail.

One day, they will actually ask us what we would like to see but it will be too late. Their excuse for placing Arenas in the normal WZ Q was lame - VERY lame.

Its simple

4v4 Q

8v8 Q

GSF Q

It's not difficult but I am a firm believer 8v8 is on it's way out. No update since November 2012, Arenas already getting a new addition, with more to come and GSF.

Considering the reaction to arenas -- not to mention they seem to have another Huttball map in the works -- I'm not too worried 8v8s any time soon. As for arenas, they won't be going away any time soon, sadly. Bioware wouldn't have added them unless they thought they could make them work and you're looking at least a year before they begin to think/realize they can't actually do that. After all, look how long it took them to realize that ranked 8v8s were a lost cause do something. Again, I'd love to be proven wrong there but I don't think I will be. In any case, the best idea right now is to focus on what works and that would be the other warzones.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this again. I see so many complaints on the front page that this would solve.

Again, the key ideas are adding war zones to the ranked queues and either adding a ranked daily or converting one of the current ones (and the weekly) so that they count ranked matches. A cross server queue would help but it has two key problems: 1) arenas still aren't popular enough to support the ranked queues exclusively, and 2) they're such a grand project that either BW is working on them and they'll be ready when they're ready or they've dismissed it as a feasible solution (and all the moaning in the world isn't going to get it added).

I do understand that there is concern over the ranked group queue. I don't agree with these arguments but I do understand the concerns. However, at the end of the day my rebuttal is always going to be this: I don't want to hear about how this wouldn't work. The current system isn't working either and needs to be replaced. If you have a better idea I would love to hear it but I am always going to be more willing to discard something that isn't working for something that may or may not work.

Thought I'd bump this again. I see so many complaints on the front page that this would solve.

Again, the key ideas are adding war zones to the ranked queues and either adding a ranked daily or converting one of the current ones (and the weekly) so that they count ranked matches. A cross server queue would help but it has two key problems: 1) arenas still aren't popular enough to support the ranked queues exclusively, and 2) they're such a grand project that either BW is working on them and they'll be ready when they're ready or they've dismissed it as a feasible solution (and all the moaning in the world isn't going to get it added).

I do understand that there is concern over the ranked group queue. I don't agree with these arguments but I do understand the concerns. However, at the end of the day my rebuttal is always going to be this: I don't want to hear about how this wouldn't work. The current system isn't working either and needs to be replaced. If you have a better idea I would love to hear it but I am always going to be more willing to discard something that isn't working for something that may or may not work.

no system will ever work until BW pulls their heads out of their asses and implements cross server. The harsh reality here is that the pvp community for this game is extremely small. No single server will ever be able to sustained any real ranked community.

no system will ever work until BW pulls their heads out of their asses and implements cross server. The harsh reality here is that the pvp community for this game is extremely small. No single server will ever be able to sustained any real ranked community.

This is true. On top of that the lack of attention to class balancing makes things even worse.