The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Veteran PvPer, New to PT Tanking

JestersRevenge

I have seven 55s, one of each AC (need Shadow), and I've always either been DPS or heals. I've dusted off the PT and am trying my hand at tanking. I'm having a lot of fun, but I have a few questions as I gear...

I've read KBN's guide in the Tank role thread and I've been digging in the MMO Mechanics forums. I've decided to go the mitigation route over the endurance route and will try to stay as far away from Defense as possible, instead stacking for Shield and Absorb.

I'm assuming there's a diminishing return on those stats. What sort of rating / chance should I gear towards? Once I hit those targets for Shield and Absorb, is it then I should go for Defense or Endurance? And finally, for those going the mitigation route, which augments do you use?

Appreciate any feedback.

1. PvP - Endurance > mitigation, the logic behind stacking mitigation for Raids doesn't work here
  2. You want shield rating and absorb on every enhancement. Your mods should all have absorb
  3. Endurance augs
  4. Reactive warding and Shield Amp relics

Edited by Zoom_VI

1. PvP - Endurance > mitigation, the logic behind stacking mitigation for Raids doesn't work here
  2. You want shield rating and absorb on every enhancement. Your mods should all have absorb
  3. Endurance augs
  4. Reactive warding and Shield Amp relics

Appreciate the feedback. Some follow up:

1) Unshieldable damage (crits, elemental, internal) make up what % of the attacks I'll receive? I had read somewhere in the mid to upper 30s? Wouldn't it be better to stack Shield and Absorb as a priority and then Endurance?

3) I had also read (forsaking Defense), that DR is roughly around 50% for Shield and Absorb. Being totally unfamiliar with the stat budget for a PT tank, is it possible to hit those numbers through gear alone and then perhaps stack the Endurance augs?

Appreciate the feedback. Some follow up:

1) Unshieldable damage (crits, elemental, internal) make up what % of the attacks I'll receive? I had read somewhere in the mid to upper 30s? Wouldn't it be better to stack Shield and Absorb as a priority and then Endurance?

3) I had also read (forsaking Defense), that DR is roughly around 50% for Shield and Absorb. Being totally unfamiliar with the stat budget for a PT tank, is it possible to hit those numbers through gear alone and then perhaps stack the Endurance augs?

I'll start with the latter question - Yes, that is the upper bounds but those numbers are not reachable with current PvP gear, even if you maximize every mod, and enhancement for mitigation you will still only be see maybe 37% or so. The onlyl people even approaching those numbers are PvE tanks in full mitigation stacked 78's with mitigation augs.

30% sounds about right, although it varies widely match to match depending on what classes are at play. If the other team has lethality agents, AP PTs, or to a lesser extent smashmonkeys, the number of unshieldables is going to be higher than a match against say MM snipers and carnage marauders.

The reason Endurance is itemized is because of current TTK. Right now as it stands both Dps and Healers are very very bursty in their output. One dps might get a string of crits and drop a target down 15k in only a couple globals. Tanks also suffer from this particularly since most of our (PT) mitigation is passive, a bad RNG run and even the best geared of us can lose upwards of 20k in the space a few GCDs. Hence endurance is itemized so that when RNG fails us (it will eventually) we have a nice cushion to buy the healer time to get out of the inevitable CC they threw at him and heal you back up.

The above post is 100% accurate. Just to add:

The vast majority of attacks in PvP are yellow damage. A few specs (MM Sniper/Carnage Mara) are heavy on white damage, but 80-90% of what you're up against in PvP is yellow. Keep in mind that crits are also a big part of PvP, so typical mitigation is secondary to HP stacking for PvP tanks.

No, you're not going to come anywhere close to PvE mitigation numbers. Truth be told, while PvP mitigation finally works (it never used to at all), it still has diminished use. Most PvP tanks I know stack Endurance and roll with damage mods because when you stack mitigation, you lose just about all means to actually defend yourself. Your damage output is very, very poor. PT tanks are middle of the road as far as damage goes, and while that's not your role, it's important to be able to at least peel and cause a bit of damage.

The above post is 100% accurate. Just to add:

No, you're not going to come anywhere close to PvE mitigation numbers. Truth be told, while PvP mitigation finally works (it never used to at all), it still has diminished use. Most PvP tanks I know stack Endurance and roll with damage mods because when you stack mitigation, you lose just about all means to actually defend yourself. Your damage output is very, very poor. PT tanks are middle of the road as far as damage goes, and while that's not your role, it's important to be able to at least peel and cause a bit of damage.

Tried with 36k hp and <33% shield and does not seem tanky enough. Maybe >39k hp and <33% shield? For Arenas. For 8x8 Endurance and mitigation max - less dmg.