Keybinding and Controls

Wynternight

Hello all, question for you: what is the best setup for ability use in PvP? This, like many games, suffers from ability and button bloat, necessitating the use of three quick bars, all of which need to be bound to a key unless you want to click which I don't want to do. I'm just now, after playing since launch, trying PvP, and find that trying to get to all the useful buttons whilst using the mouse to turn, rather than arrow keys, is a right pain. I use my right hand on the mouse and my left on the keyboard; the first row quck bar is bound to the number pad, the second to Ctrl+number pad and the third to Alt+number pad, making what is pretty ok in PvE, pretty akward in PvP which tends to move much faster. Any suggestions as how to improve my control setup for PvP?

By 'number pad' you mean the keyboard's rightside numpad? Do you stop using your mouse whenever you try to use quickbar abilities? If so, I'd highly recommend stopping that, and binding keys to suit your left hand with minimal hand movement.

I bind abilities to a lot of keys: XCVBFGRT, 1 through 7, and shift or ctrl variants with most of those keys (whatever's most comfortable for your hand--(shift 7 is -not- comfortable)). Bind highly used keys to their most comfortable positions, and long cooldown abilities to anything.

I've F1 through F5 bound, as well. F1 is my incapacitate breaker, which I've found great because it's easy to hit and can't be accidentally hit as it's so out of the way, so I don't waste its precious timer.

By 'number pad' you mean the keyboard's rightside numpad? Do you stop using your mouse whenever you try to use quickbar abilities? If so, I'd highly recommend stopping that, and binding keys to suit your left hand with minimal hand movement.

I bind abilities to a lot of keys: XCVBFGRT, 1 through 7, and shift or ctrl variants with most of those keys (whatever's most comfortable for your hand--(shift 7 is -not- comfortable)). Bind highly used keys to their most comfortable positions, and long cooldown abilities to anything.

I've F1 through F5 bound, as well. F1 is my incapacitate breaker, which I've found great because it's easy to hit and can't be accidentally hit as it's so out of the way, so I don't waste its precious timer.

Hi scv, yetp - right side numpad. It works fine for the first quickbar but the 2nd and 3rd, not so much. I have a Razer Nostromo I tried playing with once but found that to be more cumbersome than beneficial. I'd like to find a good binding setup for my left hand that doesn't require much movement and is easily trained to muscle memory.

I do sometimes stop using the mouse and revert to arrow key movement but not intentionally. I'm trying to break bad PvE habits but it's hard to do. With my left hand on the arrows keys I can use my little finger for the Ctrl and Alt buttons and the right hand on the num pad but someone using the arrows to move is so noticeable and clumsy.

This is my first PC game so I figured I'd give "real" keybinding a shot but I was too impatient to stick with it . I don't really have any intentions of playing other PC games anyway so I went with what i thought was the easiest approach instead, naga + arrows + num pad (1-6) + shift modifier. Edited by MidichIorian

I am setup so that nearly every key around WASD is bound +shift modifier. I have small fingers so my main keys are Q E F R 2, then Shift + F R and Spacebar. Then off keyboard I use middle mouse button, scroll up and the back button on the mouse as well.

I leave cooldowns/buffs unbound and just click them situationally. You'll want to put your most used abilities closest to WASD so you can activate without having to think about it.

Edited by RiChess

How do you hit your numpad without letting go of anything? :/

Numpad is not good for keybinds. It's probably better to just click at that point imo.

Hi Evolixe: left hand on the numpad, right on the mouse. Ability bar one is bound 1-0 with 11 bound to - and 12 to +, repeat for bar two adding Ctrl+numpad and bar three Alt+numpad. It's akward which is why I'm looking for better. I have a Razer Naga but find moving my thumb over it to be kind of difficult.

I am setup so that nearly every key around WASD is bound +shift modifier. I have small fingers so my main keys are Q E F R 2, then Shift + F R and Spacebar. Then off keyboard I use middle mouse button, scroll up and the back button on the mouse as well.

You'll want to put your most used abilities closest to WASD so you can activate without having to think about it.

Are you mouseturning or using the WASD keys, RiChess?

Tab = Tab target

Q = target nearest opponent

WASD = movement

ZXCV = defensive skills

ERTFG 123456 = Skills

Mouse 3,4,5 (mouse with mouse4 and mouse5) = skills

7890-= (if you have a mouse that can bind multiple keys e,g Naga) = skills

Ctrl/Shift/Alt + any mouse key = skills that you use but less often

Can consider the following which is easy to execute

Alt+E

Alt+R

They only correct answer to this question when ever someone asks it is to experiment, experiment, experiment and find what's comfortable to you. Ask a 100 people their binds and you'll get 100 different answers.

That said, there are some guidelines you should follow:

The first thing you should do is buy a five button mouse if you don't have one. I know people swear by MMO gaming mice, and that's great if it works for them, but those mice can also get spendy. You can get a perfect enough five button mouse for $15. Spend the money you saved on CC. :p

The second thing is to find an alternative to all the basic functions. The simplest is to just ctrl+whatever it was. So character sheet become ctrl+C; guild becomes ctrl+G. That sort of thing.

Next is find a place for your out of combat stuff. I use tilde for class buffs, shift+space for OOC heal, ctrl+mouse buttons for vehicles (one for mount and the other for rocket boots). Oh. and I use J for the (now) kicking the Huttball. :o

The other thing I do that people who've I've recommended this to and tried all seemed to like is I use the mouse wheel for targeting. You should really only think of doing this if the wheel is ratcheted (most are these days), otherwise it would be easy to skip. What I do is use forward scroll for next and backwards for closest and then shift + same for friendlies. And then just use the ctrl button for the camera. Not a big deal since you should be in the habit of scrolling the camera as far out as it will go as soon as a match starts and leaving it there.

With practice you'll find cycling through targets to be much smoother (and thus quicker), and it also frees up TAB that big fat key that's otherwise being wasted.

Finally, work out a system. What I mean is, associate buttons to a "task" instead of a specific it skill. That way, you can plop skills in the appropriate slot when switching classes/characters and immediately know where stuff is.

The only other suggestion I can make is switch from WASD to ESDF. The one argument people always make against doing this it makes for a larger, more unnatural reach for modifiers. This is total bologna. Think about it: with ESDF, your pointer fingers rests on F. It's the left home key; that's where it's supposed to be! Keyboards (and the modifier keys) are specifically designed with the assumption this is where your hand is going to be. Honestly, had video games started with this like they should've in the first place, I doubt anyone would now be saying, "Switch to WASD; it's better."

Besides, doing so opens up more easily accessible natural keys, so you don't need to use as many modifiers. For me, it "centers" things. My hands are on the smaller side so I draw a line from 6 down through N with 5 to B being primary stuff. This makes things more symmetrical and gets more use out of my pinky.

For completeness's sake, I'll add a rough idea of how I do things:

R is always main attack. Technically, the one exception is my Sorc and Sage where I put Lighting/TK throw since that, in essence, is their main attack. Though Sin/Sadow it stays saber strike, obviously.

W is main opener or proc skill. Things like Shiv, Stock Strike, Sunders, that sort of thing.

3 is main spam and 4 is secondary spam

2 is main DOT. 5 is primary AOE.

1 and 6 are class utility: taunts, cleanses, agro dumps, etc.

Q A Z are gap closers and pulls. So like A is leaps and Q is pulls and Z stealth usually.

X is snare/root

C is primary "conditional" skill. Rail Shot, Backstab, etc.

G V and B are defensive cool downs with B always being Bubble. I rest my thumb on B and then use the heel or fatty part to jump.

T and shift+T are "quick fire" AOEs so grenades, Smash/Sweep, Overload, etc.

Shift + Q, W & R are either heals or DPS skills that have long CD.

Shift+A is resource restore. TAB is for other resource skill or quick buff like Polarity Shift or Pugnacity.

Shift 1-6 is for useables: medpacs, adrenals, relics.

Y H & N are for whatever is left. And if I still need something, I throw in Shift Z and X.

Middle mouse button is always CC breaker.

Mouse 4 and 5 are interrupt and stun respectively.

Shift + middle mouse I really just use for Guard on my tanks. I think I might have Smuggle there too.

Shift + mouse 4&5 are mezzes and other misc CC.

Hi Evolixe: left hand on the numpad, right on the mouse. Ability bar one is bound 1-0 with 11 bound to - and 12 to +, repeat for bar two adding Ctrl+numpad and bar three Alt+numpad. It's akward which is why I'm looking for better. I have a Razer Naga but find moving my thumb over it to be kind of difficult.

Just for clarification.. this is what we call a numpad:

http://i.imgur.com/ZJdtSMj.jpg

I have a Razer Naga but find moving my thumb over it to be kind of difficult.

I just use 7-12 (with Shift modifier) on mine and find it very comfortable and fluid. My hand does get tired if I marathon though.

Otherwise I have WASD (front, back, strafe) for movement and use Q E R F C X Z V (with Shift modifiers) for abilites. Q is adrenals, E is medpacs, Z is interrupt, X is trinket, and V is throw Huttball on all chars. R F C (with Shift modifiers) are for most used core rotation abilities.

The advice I always give people learning to keybind is to start a new char...it's easier to learn new habits than to try to overwrite old ones.

Then how do you move while hands are on the numpad?

That just seems like a major cripple...

I use the mouse. Mouseturn and press the left and right mouse buttons for forward motion. That's part of the awkwardness of my setup: a lack of strafe and backward motion. OK for leveling but not so much for PvP.

I just use 7-12 (with Shift modifier) on mine and find it very comfortable and fluid. My hand does get tired if I marathon though.

Otherwise I have WASD (front, back, strafe) for movement and use Q E R F C X Z V (with Shift modifiers) for abilites. Q is adrenals, E is medpacs, Z is interrupt, X is trinket, and V is throw Huttball on all chars. R F C (with Shift modifiers) are for most used core rotation abilities.

The advice I always give people learning to keybind is to start a new char...it's easier to learn new habits than to try to overwrite old ones.

Hi, VaeVictis, starting a new character is what prompted me to try PvP actually. I made a new Assassin and queued for PvP for gits and shiggles and had a good time, decided I wanted to do more, and wanted to do better so I came here! Thank you for the advice.

i use

123456 (7)

qertyu

zxcvb

fgh

alt+3 (always my breaker)

shift + z, x, c, v, f, s

f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7

and for my non combat abilities like my health regen or speeder

ctrl+space, a, s, d

generally what i do is use the keys most to the left for spammable attacks ie 1234 qer

shifts are usually cds, offensive or defensive

alt is always my breaker idk why lol

f1 is always buff f4 i always nade f5 medpac f6 huttball f7 rocket boost f2 and f3 vary between classes

t is always hardstun and y is usually aoe stun (awe/carbonize) 7 i only use for masterstrike and u is random

Edited by OldSpiceSwag

It's nice that people list their keybindings and stuff.. but things like that are completely personal and what works for you doesn't necessarily work for the next player. I would advise anyone getting into keybinding to just do it themselves.

I use four rows across the bottom.

1 2 3 4 5 q e r ' t x

Next row is shift all that.

Control

Alt

I group abilities based on speed and need. Instants are usually q e r. Combos 2 3 s2 s3 finishers 4 s4. Dcds alt q e r. Stuns shift q e r crtl q e r. Things i rarely hit or with long cds are ctrl and alt 1-4.