The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

is disney really to blame for the cancellation of TCW

clonewarsisbest

i know that for almost a year the star wars community has been blaming disney for shutting down TCW but for what i have been seeing with the bonus content was that disney is trying to keep TCW alive. there are also rumors that cartoon network actually own the rights to the broadcasting of TCW, i believe that at least some of these rumors are true because George Lucas worked with cartoon network on the TCW and the 25 chapters of starwars clone wars.

i would like to know how the community thinks about this and would like to hear so feedback.

Disney tried to kill TCW. AFAIK Dave Filoni and his studio insisted upon giving the fans a satisfactory ending.

Disney is prepping to milk the **** out of SW with the new movies/merchandise/animated series/games, they don't give a **** about maintaining a movie-inspired animated show that people may or may not have seen years ago, because regardless how much $ it generates, a new show will is bound to outdo it.

what i am saying is that cartoon network probably is part of the problem because they were part of all of the clone wars projects and it was one of the highest ranked shows (viewerwise) and they might be refusing to let it go over to a channel owned by disney who is one of cartoon networks biggest competitors. once again i am not 100% sure if this is true or not, but this could be something we just aren't hearing about. Edited by clonewarsisbest

what i am saying is that cartoon network probably is part of the problem because they were part of all of the clone wars projects and it was one of the highest ranked shows (viewerwise) and they might be refusing to let it go. once again i am not 100% sure if this is true or not, but this could be something we just aren't hearing about.
I'm pretty sure that when you buy the rights to something you get it i.e. Disney should have complete control over TCW series and be able to do whatever they want with it. After all they are producing bonus content, so why not a whole series. I'm not sure CN are just allowed to cling on to it and kill it in the process.

Regardless Disney could have let it air on CN...

So the fact that TCW was going strong still and had Season 6 in production and plans to keep going onward until Disney took over, canned the show, and now the abrupt Rebels series will be on Disney XD isn't at least a little suspicious OP?

i am looking at this at a business stand point and this is the scenerio that i am thinking of. when george lucas made TCW he needed a network to broadcast the series on tv so he talked to cartoon network and they agreed. so they made a contract stating that cartoon network and its sister channels are the only one that can broadcast the series. and yes cartoon network and tnt are owned by the same people which are warner bros.

I'm pretty sure that when you buy the rights to something you get it i.e. Disney should have complete control over TCW series and be able to do whatever they want with it. After all they are producing bonus content, so why not a whole series. I'm not sure CN are just allowed to cling on to it and kill it in the process.

Regardless Disney could have let it air on CN...

Not true, just look at the Marvel landscape:

Sony owns Spiderman

Fox owns X-men

Disney owns the rest.

Furthermore, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are set to join the Avengers in the next movie but you will never hear them being called mutants (even though they are Magneto's children). Why? Because Fox owns the right to the term.

Lastly, Sony's rights the Spiderman hinge on them making movies periodically. So long as Sony continues to make Spiderman movies it will be a LONG time before their contract rights expire.

Edited by psandak

Sony owns Spiderman

Fox owns X-men

Disney owns the rest.

Furthermore, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are set to join the Avengers in the next movie but you will never hear them being called mutants (even though they are Magneto's children). Why? Because Fox owns the right to the term.

Lastly, Sony's rights the Spiderman hinge on them making movies periodically. So long as Sony continues to make Spiderman movies it will be a LONG time before their contract rights expire.

we might see something similar with TCW, but lucky if this is true cartoon network doesnt seem to own any of TCW content.

Sony owns Spiderman

Fox owns X-men

Disney owns the rest.

Well that's just it, does CN own The Clone Wars? Given Disney cancelled the show and are releasing bonus content I'd say no. And LOL Sony owns Spiderman? Jeez some people like to put their fingers in all the pies don't they? :rolleyes:

... and basically just say that TCW isn't actually canon...

Actually, it IS canon. Far more so than any book, comic, or other media (other than the movies). Sorry to disappoint.

And LOL Sony owns Spiderman? Jeez some people like to put their fingers in all the pies don't they? :rolleyes:

Eh, cut him some slack. He means they own the rights to the IP of Spider-man in film.

Edited by Thylbanus

First off I doubt the CN was really to blame for the cancellation. If they wouldn't work with Disney, or vice versa, I'm sure another network would of taken over. Remember Buffy? It switched networks while it's spinoff Angel stayed. That's why Angel made so few references to Buffy, they didn't want to give the competition any recognition.

As for TCW being canon, I think the early point was how it retcons some things that weren't mentioned in the movies.

What worries me is that the SW franchise as a whole is on a precipice now. The prequels didn't do SW any favors and with JJ "I plagerize other movies" Abrams now writing Ep7 I'm doubtful that the franchise will go back to it's pre-prequel days. Bioware itself doesn't care about lore either, as shown by an Ewok companion available... even though we're not going to discover their existence for 3000 yrs.

First off I doubt the CN was really to blame for the cancellation. If they wouldn't work with Disney, or vice versa, I'm sure another network would of taken over. Remember Buffy? It switched networks while it's spinoff Angel stayed. That's why Angel made so few references to Buffy, they didn't want to give the competition any recognition.

As for TCW being canon, I think the early point was how it retcons some things that weren't mentioned in the movies.

What worries me is that the SW franchise as a whole is on a precipice now. The prequels didn't do SW any favors and with JJ "I plagerize other movies" Abrams now writing Ep7 I'm doubtful that the franchise will go back to it's pre-prequel days. Bioware itself doesn't care about lore either, as shown by an Ewok companion available... even though we're not going to discover their existence for 3000 yrs.

I would say that Disney cancelled the show since the Star Wars Website said that Disney cancelled the show. If you go to YouTube you can even find the interview with Dave Feloni also stating that Disney cancelled the show, I don't find any ambiguity here.

When Disney bought LFL, they got everything. Every property, every IP, every licensed product and any contracts LFL has now belongs to Disney. The Cartoon Network never owned any rights to any of the star wars cartoons they aired. All they did was win the bid for the contract to air the series. The contract was renewed after the end of each season. had the ratings took a large drop, or enough they lost advertisers that didn't want their commercials aired during a low ratings show they wouldn't of renewed the show each season. Clone Wars ended abruptly, the cast and crew had no warning until it just happened.

Disney shut down so much of the Star Wars juggernaut this past year as I understand it, so that they can rein things in a bit. Do a review or audit of their new property and so they can get a better picture of what is working and what isn't. It saved them from wasting money on any projects that might of failed completely or at least failed to make a profit. It also allowed them to divert money from smaller side projects that wouldn't of made much of a return so that they can focus on making the new movies and the new cartoon. As well as taking Star Wars and the other properties down the path they want instead of continuing down the path LFL had.

So maybe CN has "broadcast rights" for TCW, because they're not only still showing it (Saturday nights/Sunday morning during Toonami) but they've started over. This tells me they plan to milk it for all it's worth. They'll be showing TCW till ep7 comes out. And considering how full of reruns Disney XD lineup is TCW could only boost their ratings.....but there's NOTHING SW related on Disney even tho they own the rights.

they did worse than that: cancelling a *********** good looking game on BOBA FETT (1313) :jawa_frown:

My normal trolling aside lets really look at what was going on with 1313.

Now I forget where I saw this whole history of 1313 however it did sound like it started off awesome before GL came in and threw the whole "Lets make the main character Boba Fett." along with a few other things as well. So from what it started to sound like 1313 went from being something that sounded really cool into starting to turn into a mess.

Here's the thing this happens in gaming a ton! Cases in point, go watch the 1999 E3 Halo Trailer, the I believe 2002 Halo 2 E3 Trailer, or last years BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer from E3. Or read about what happened to Command and Conquer:Tiberium. With the Halo's if you watch them you'll see well a whole other game, believe it or not Halo went from being an RTS, to an online third person shooter, to the Halo goodness we all know and love. In the case with Halo 2 and BioShock Infinite the makers came out and said they changed the game after that due to issues with the game, not finding the game really 'fun' so on and so forth.

In the case of Tiberium you had what looked like an awesome C&C based FPS with RTS elements in it that at the time was going to bridge the gap from C&C3 and C&C4 (not the C&C4 that came out) however you got new people coming onto the project and leading it who decided that they didn't like X or they wanted X in there. And from what I read when the brass finally came in they just saw the game as unplayable and not fun.

So really chances are that's what happened to 1313, Disney went in and chances are looked at it and shook their heads to it.

Having all TCW's on BluRay/DVD I immediately noticed the final season having less episodes. Something around 18 while preceding seasons having 22. In the last two seasons they went to a 4 part cliff hanger format which then made me highly suspect they weren't able to do a final 4 episodes.

These last 4 unmade episodes would have to revolve around some confrontation between Maul and Anaken. Perhaps Anaken must dip into the dark side to save the life of Obiwan. Thus giving more meaning behind "My powers have doubled since we first met Count". When Asoka leaves the Jedi Order at the end that would then create the kind of vacuum where Anakin's moral compass goes unchecked.