The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware used to be such a good company until swtor

TechDean

Bioware used to be such a good company until swtor. I was addicted to swtor until I max leveled 2 characters and I was bored with the game. All this game is now is a cartel market game. not an mmo"rpg" game.

There is 0 support for roleplayers. 0. Yea we got them stupid emote chairs, but that doesn't even begin to fix the problems. Here is what I would like to see happen before the end of the year.

1. Guild Ships ( or make your ships hold more than 4 players.)

2. Animated emotes (like world of warcraft ) This area is lacking really bad, the sit sucks no laying down or sleeping etc..

3. Roleplay support such as:

3a. placing objects on your ship like swg.

3b. A planet dedicated to housing. Ships would need a lot of changes to make it a substitute.

3c. Starting planet guild instance (instances are already in the game) - Where a guild can have their own starting planet instance for their guild.

3d. Placeable npc's for rp like swg

3e. Placeable objects for rp like swg

3f. Existing chairs sitable

3g. #2 above - different sits, lay down, sleep, etc.

3h. in-game games such as pazzak

I could go on and on about what the game is lacking.

This game had so much potential, shame. I will miss it and hope to come back if they ever get any of these features.

my2cents

I am not saying cause the others had this stuff. the others where single player only. this is where they failed. by making swtor a mmo

Wow, you know, people are truly something these days, so caught up in the fact that they want it to be single player only that the mere fact that it is an MMO means that it is failed.

Newsflash, game still running, subs still exist, still making money = not failing.....

I'm honestly not trying to diss RPers here, but games aren't exactly built around your needs.

The core of every modern MMORPG is the same as SWTOR's. What changes is HOW things are done. But what you do is pretty much the same in every MMO. And after they've accomplished those things, they may focus on the RP community (if they think it will help their profits). WoW had a loooot of time to implement things for every type of gamer.

You can judge any game you want by its RP elements.

That, however, doesn't make it a failure or a success for gamers in general - just for RPers.

PS: The "Cartel Market Game" thing is overused and plain out wrong. Yes, the Cartel Market is getting a lot of attention because that is how they make up for the money they are losing by allowing people to play their game for free. And it's 99% vanity items that a) no one NEEDS to play the game and b) can be bought for credits from the GTN. It's simply a very weak argument.

Edited by TheNahash

Bioware used to be such a good company until swtor. I was addicted to swtor until I max leveled 2 characters and I was bored with the game. All this game is now is a cartel market game. not an mmo"rpg" game.

There is 0 support for roleplayers. 0. Yea we got them stupid emote chairs, but that doesn't even begin to fix the problems. Here is what I would like to see happen before the end of the year.

2. Animated emotes (like world of warcraft ) This area is lacking really bad, the sit sucks no laying down or sleeping etc..

3b. A planet dedicated to housing. Ships would need a lot of changes to make it a substitute.

3c. Starting planet guild instance (instances are already in the game) - Where a guild can have their own starting planet instance for their guild.

This game had so much potential, shame. I will miss it and hope to come back if they ever get any of these features.

my2cents

1.) Guild ships would severely reduce the amount of RP found in the galaxy. RP is about interacting with others. Go out and join other RPers! I'm one for making the galaxy feel more alive and guild ships would help to ruin this.

2.) I agree with you here. I would like to see our characters move when we use say. However, I can deal for now.

3a) Use your imagination. Type out if something is on your ship, let people know OOC it's there.

3b) See Guild Ships. This is reduce the amount of RP and RP connections found in the world.

3c) See Above

3d) Not sure what you by placeable npcs. Refer back to 3a or use your companions!

3e) See 3d, 3a.

3f) Yes, this would be nice, but do keep in mind that it takes a lot more time and energy to rewrite code than it is to add something like the chairs to the Cartel Market. Take what you will from that, but the chair emotes are a step in the right direction.

3g) Sure, I'd love to be able to sit without my characters wondering if the galaxy is good a good look at their junk. Thankfully, I have the chair emotes for now. :D

3h) There is plenty to do in game as is. If you want to play pazaak, there are several apps for smart phones that allow this.

That is my take on your points. Also, why is this in the Star Wars discussion?

my2cents

The problem isn't Bioware it's EA

Wrong on so many levels, This is not a cratel market game, cartel market is all fluff, apart from the crystals, which with collectionc are a one -ff payment. This game is also a variety of things, RPG, PVE, PVP, and is definately an MMO

Three months to create all this list, no chance, maybe one or two, maybe.

Already planned.

Have seen roleplayers manage fine without, just takes imagination and creativity.

I would like this one TBH.

God no, have seen hundreds of comments like at the end SWG had entire deserted cities/planets with only two people.

Would take up way too much processing power, remember there are hundreds of guilds, and would need a separate instance on each planet.

wrong sort of game

This could be doable, provided items disappear after a period.

This is 2 again, there is no difference, why put it in twice??

I would love this, but american state gambling laws make it impossible, ironic since I'm British and in England.

God no, have seen hundreds of comments like at the end SWG had entire deserted cities/planets with only two people.

Yes. It was horrible. It was, in fact, so bad, that Sony had to make destroying abandoned cities and houses a special event with rewards and such. Horrible. And the sight was just sad.

Also, for the love of whichever deity it is you believe in, the Galaxy is at war, you are part of it, and you prefer to commit to interior design? It is so unfitting, why don't you think about something else to RP?

Yes. It was horrible. It was, in fact, so bad, that Sony had to make destroying abandoned cities and houses a special event with rewards and such. Horrible. And the sight was just sad.

Also, for the love of whichever deity it is you believe in, the Galaxy is at war, you are part of it, and you prefer to commit to interior design? It is so unfitting, why don't you think about something else to RP?

That's what made SWG so great you didn't have to be part of the war.

Still SWG killed TOR there's no way TOR will ever live up to what was taken from us with SWG.

Bioware is still a great company.

i came back to Swtor and i subbed the game.. i am also RPing..

rping is what you make it not what the game gives you.

iwalk in all areas that youd normally do i only run/ sprint if it would normally happen YES EVEN DURING MY QUESTS ILL WALK (unless grouped with people not wanting to rp i wont slowotbers down

thanks BioWare

That's what made SWG so great you didn't have to be part of the war.

Still SWG killed TOR there's no way TOR will ever live up to what was taken from us with SWG.

SWG couldnt have killed TOR ..TOR isstill going and they are both of different eras

Edited by Mounds
made mistake with coment

Game lacks a lot of things. Ive been playing for nearly 2 years and I unsubbed yesterday. Just doesn't hold my attention anymore. I played swg prior to nge and even after nge and I must say this game doesn't come close to the content of that game. I don't think it ever will to be honest. This game is fun for a few months then you just find yourself logging in less and less. I find the everything on rails model pretty boring and the fights are way too long for my liking. I leveled 4 55's and was staying hopeful of meaningful changes. Unfortunately the days of the little things that made games great is over. Things I would've liked to see would've been non-combat classes,housing of some form, the ability to change factions or take none at all,space without rails,more explorable planets without walls,pvp with incentive(not comms actual territory disputes), I could go on and on but I wont.

Game lacks a lot of things. Ive been playing for nearly 2 years and I unsubbed yesterday. Just doesn't hold my attention anymore. I played swg prior to nge and even after nge and I must say this game doesn't come close to the content of that game. I don't think it ever will to be honest. This game is fun for a few months then you just find yourself logging in less and less. I find the everything on rails model pretty boring and the fights are way too long for my liking. I leveled 4 55's and was staying hopeful of meaningful changes. Unfortunately the days of the little things that made games great is over. Things I would've liked to see would've been non-combat classes,housing of some form, the ability to change factions or take none at all,space without rails,more explorable planets without walls,pvp with incentive(not comms actual territory disputes), I could go on and on but I wont.

Space without rails is coming, very soon. You only have to open up the launcher to see that.

Bioware is still an good company, far better than most. It's not Bioware that is at issue.

This is not Sims: Star Wars Edition :p

I would love this, but american state gambling laws make it impossible, ironic since I'm British and in England.

I hate to be a pest, but please elaborate. :o I didn't realize state gambling laws made it illegal to bet fake money in video games...(and I'm sure it's possible to have Pazaak/other mini-games without this, maybe for XP or an in-game rare item of some sort).

Wrong on so many levels, This is not a cratel market game, cartel market is all fluff, apart from the crystals, which with collectionc are a one -ff payment. This game is also a variety of things, RPG, PVE, PVP, and is definately an MMO

Three months to create all this list, no chance, maybe one or two, maybe.

Already planned.

Have seen roleplayers manage fine without, just takes imagination and creativity.

I would like this one TBH.

Would take up way too much processing power, remember there are hundreds of guilds, and would need a separate instance on each planet.

wrong sort of game

This could be doable, provided items disappear after a period.

This is 2 again, there is no difference, why put it in twice??

its not gambling if its involving in game currency which is not real money.

my2cents

(sarcasm) Because they'll be able to get all this implemented into the game in a short time. (/sarcasm):rolleyes:

I hate to be a pest, but please elaborate. :o I didn't realize state gambling laws made it illegal to bet fake money in video games...(and I'm sure it's possible to have Pazaak/other mini-games without this, maybe for XP or an in-game rare item of some sort).

It's to do with the interpretaton of the law, the US states in question prohibit online gambling with money or anything of value, and it's the anything of value part that's the problem. It's been interpreted that it includes in game currency, since this has value to players, and in some games you can buy it directly with your credit/debit card, which muddies the waters. But basically because it has value in game, these antigambling laws technically prohibit it.

At least that's my understanding of the problem.

Edited by AlexDougherty

Space without rails is coming, very soon. You only have to open up the launcher to see that.

Bioware is still an good company, far better than most. It's not Bioware that is at issue.

Space without rails for space in a box and all pvp. no thanks but you guys have fun with that.

honestly some of the team from maxis probably would improve this game. those sims guys know their stuff.

SWTOR is cool,but it is true that Mass Effect is maybe the game with the best story and immersion out there in existence. - at least in the first playthrough.

I have felt all manner of emotions in that game,including genuine tears.Mass Effect is something special.Something that can hardly be described unless experienced first hand.Remember- it's very important to have zero spoilers.

The specific unique sci-fi atmosphere(most similar thing is the Bladerunner movie,but only a little) and the soundtrack are huge part of the experience.

The end of ME3 is *censored* but it doesn't really ruin the quality of the trilogy in general.

Also don't pirate it ! Don't torrent download it.

The Mass Effect trilogy is really a masterpiece and pirating it is nothing short of a sin.

Edited by Kaedusz

Well TBH to the original poster, the seeds of Bioware's demise began once they sold out to EA. Say what you will about them, but they didn't win Worse Company In America just due to gamer rage alone. :)

EA has a long history of buying up gaming companies to get the rights to their games, then not doing much with them. They own Origin (Ultima) and how many Ultima rpgs have we seen since? None. They own Bullfrog (Populous, Dungeon Keeper) and how many of those games have we seen? None. I could go on, but I've made my point. Did we really think EA would do something different with Bioware?

Remember, Bioware said that Mass Effect was always intended to be a trilogy. That is until their EA masters decided otherwise. EA spams out Madden games that aren't any better than they were last year. The one time they had competition (ESPN football by 2k), they didn't try to innovate and make a better game, they just wrote the NFL a check to give them sole rights to NFL games.

Bioware was great because they cared about their games and the players that played them. EA doesn't it's just "how can we make a buck today" and the rest of us be d**ned.