The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

Aurbere

Kun has two advantages: Force Drain is a mainly Sorcery based technique and we have seen that many many times Sorcerers being able to defend against sorcery, Force Drain is not the winner here, why? Kun has intimate knowledge of a massive Force Drain technique he learnt through a ritual and it is stated outright that Kun had to learn how to stop him from consuming himself in the process of the ritual or he would accidentally allow the Dark Side to absorb him to.

Secondly if Ulic Qel-Droma was able to teach Anakin Skywalker how to defend against the technique, I see no reason to believe that Kun couldn't either.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kun has two advantages: Force Drain is a mainly Sorcery based technique and we have seen that many many times Sorcerers being able to defend against sorcery, Force Drain is not the winner here, why? Kun has intimate knowledge of a massive Force Drain technique he learnt through a ritual and it is stated outright that Kun had to learn how to stop him from consuming himself in the process of the ritual or he would accidentally allow the Dark Side to absorb him to.

Secondly if Ulic Qel-Droma was able to teach Anakin Skywalker how to defend against the technique, I see no reason to believe that Kun couldn't either.

exactly what I thought :D.

Point, but that won't help him against dark transfer or shatterpoint which make for a dangerous combination. Shatterpoint gives him the ability to strike at the opportune moment i.e. when Kun exposes himself, and using dark transfer injury Kun - most likely seriously, which will very much hamper his battle effectiveness.

In terms of how the fight will pan out, it will most likely begin with a lightsaber duel and as I said before he can hold his own. Not only is he almost as powerful as Exar Kun but Ulic Qel-Droma, a lesser Force User and IMO a lesser duelist, was able to stalemate against a pre-prime Kun. The increase in Force Power and increase in lightsaber skill I'd say makes up for any improvements in Kun's ability. Which means that at least using a single blade Kun will likely stalemate against Krayt, now when Kun draws his second blade the battle will likely fall into Kun's favour, but only minorly. Giving Krayt ample opportunity to wear Kun down, leveling the playing field and ultimately weakening him to a point where he can overwhelm him through sheer Force Power.

At this point I expect Krayt will resort to Force waves and telekinetic barrages, capitalizing on Kun's momentary lapse after feeling the effects of dark transfer and further weakening him. The he can move in for the kill, overwhelming him with a vicious Jar'Kai/Ataru/Juyo onslaught.

Two other things to note:

1. I doubt Kun will be able to use the ability immediately, no evidence suggests that its some kind of passive ability present all the time, as such the first attack will have an effect, which will be all Krayt needs.

2. Kun's arrogance will lead him to underestimate his opponent, most notable he only seemed to draw his second blade when he felt it absolutely necessary, again this will just be giving Krayt more time attack him with dark transfer.

Dark Transfer is block-able, it's literally a nastier version of Force Lightning, now Kun has blocked far worse than a gout of Force Lightning before, it is not something you can use without doubt.

Also Kun was more than happy to use both blades of his lightsaber and continued to do so after killing Baas, it was not a last resort.

It should also be noted that whilst Krayt has similar lightsaber forms under his command, Kun has full mastery and has a much much higher degree of mastery over Niman than Krayt does.

Krayt's real advantage is Shatterpoint.

Dark Transfer is block-able, it's literally a nastier version of Force Lightning, now Kun has blocked far worse than a gout of Force Lightning before, it is not something you can use without doubt.

Also Kun was more than happy to use both blades of his lightsaber and continued to do so after killing Baas, it was not a last resort.

It should also be noted that whilst Krayt has similar lightsaber forms under his command, Kun has full mastery and has a much much higher degree of mastery over Niman than Krayt does.

Krayt's real advantage is Shatterpoint.

But that is exactly where Shatterpoint comes in, Kun can block it with his lightsaber but Krayt can attack at the place and at the time where and when Kun can't block.

Here for example Krayt has no trouble attacking Cade, despite Cade wielding a lightsaber.

And yes I accept Kun as a superior master over Niman, but they use the same strain - meaning Krayt won't be phased by the style, and Krayt himself is skilled enough to hold his own for enough time.

EDIT: Also take into account the fact that he could use Force Drain (before Kun use his technique) to phase him and then exploit that momentary opening with dark transfer. Or he could use a Force push/wave etc.

Edited by Beniboybling

I don't know if fate did this or Aurbere heard my prayers, but these two are actually probably my 2 favorite Sith (Exar Kun being my favorite SW character overall). So, let's start this out.

In terms of lightsaber combat, the edge given is fair. Kun was considered the best lightsaber duelist of his time, and in the immortal words of Kreia (tribute to Beni): "Compared to the old masters, we are like children playing with toys" (or something like that, can't quite remember).

In terms of physicality, it wouldn't end up much mattering due to Kun's dueling superiority. Kun could do a couple of quick flourishes, and his style is unpredictable. Although Krayt is good with seeing via the Force, Kun could do something totally out of the book that Krayt wouldn't be prepared for it.

Tactical thinking is evenly matched. Kun orchestrated a war that would've sundered the Republic had Ulic Qel-Droma not betrayed him, and Krayt was giving the Imperial Remnant and the Republic a beatdown, as well as the fact that he orchestrated the third Jedi Purge.

Force Powers goes to Kun. Although yes, Krayt is a powerful Force user, Exar Kun's Force blasts were incredibly powerful. Even rivaled by Krayt's vision of shatterpoints, Kun's prowess with the Force is dominant.

Overall, Exar Kun is more powerful. Though it would be one hell of a battle, Kun would eventually take down Darth Krayt and claim victory because of superior sabre skills and barely superior Force prowess

I don't know if fate did this or Aurbere heard my prayers, but these two are actually probably my 2 favorite Sith (Exar Kun being my favorite SW character overall). So, let's start this out.

Depends on when you started praying. ;)

Really, though. I believe that only a few of the combatants in the brackets could take Kun, and Krayt is one of them. I purposefully laid out the brackets to separate the known powerhouses so that they would only come to blows in the later stages. But I still had the issue of pairing Krayt and Kun with others, and this is just how things ended up.

In terms of lightsaber combat, the edge given is fair. Kun was considered the best lightsaber duelist of his time, and in the immortal words of Kreia (tribute to Beni): "Compared to the old masters, we are like children playing with toys" (or something like that, can't quite remember).

The answer to this is, and always will be: Traya is not all-knowing. She has no idea what future duelists are capable of. She can only comment on the duelists of her time. So this is not an argument in Kun's favor.

Force Powers goes to Kun. Although yes, Krayt is a powerful Force user, Exar Kun's Force blasts were incredibly powerful. Even rivaled by Krayt's vision of shatterpoints, Kun's prowess with the Force is dominant.

Kun, while more powerful than Krayt, is at a disadvantage in this area.

Note here:

So it comes down to their willingness to use the Force in combat. Exar Kun has rarely used the Force in combat, but Krayt has and he has even defended himself against lightsaber wielding opponents through the Force alone. And while Exar Kun has Force blasts available to him, Darth Krayt is still more likely to use his Force abilities, so he gets the edge here.

Those are my thoughts on the subject, and they remain valid. Currently, Rayla has made ground in overcoming this disadvantage.

In terms of physicality, it wouldn't end up much mattering due to Kun's dueling superiority. Kun could do a couple of quick flourishes, and his style is unpredictable. Although Krayt is good with seeing via the Force, Kun could do something totally out of the book that Krayt wouldn't be prepared for it.

Tactical thinking is evenly matched. Kun orchestrated a war that would've sundered the Republic had Ulic Qel-Droma not betrayed him, and Krayt was giving the Imperial Remnant and the Republic a beatdown, as well as the fact that he orchestrated the third Jedi Purge.

Overall, Exar Kun is more powerful. Though it would be one hell of a battle, Kun would eventually take down Darth Krayt and claim victory because of superior sabre skills and barely superior Force prowess

On paper perhaps, but in practice? Not so much. Krayt's Force abilities are just more geared towards combat and what's more he is totally prepared for Kun's style - which he himself wields.

As for the Force Blast, I really don't think its going to come into it. Kun did has never used it in battle, seemingly preferring total physical victory and will only possibly be prompted to use it if Krayt attacks him with the Force. But here's the catch, Krayt is going to use Shatterpoint to find and exploit a fatal weakness In Kun's defense - then he's going to blast that area with dark transfer - the results will be catastrophic - Kun could well die or at least be severely injured. In such a condition Krayt can quickly overwhelm him with an Ataru onslaught before he can fight back.

On paper perhaps, but in practice? Not so much. Krayt's Force abilities are just more geared towards combat and what's more he is totally prepared for Kun's style - which he himself wields.

As for the Force Blast, I really don't think its going to come into it. Kun did has never used it in battle, seemingly preferring total physical victory and will only possibly be prompted to use it if Krayt attacks him with the Force. But here's the catch, Krayt is going to use Shatterpoint to find and exploit a fatal weakness In Kun's defense - then he's going to blast that area with dark transfer - the results will be catastrophic - Kun could well die or at least be severely injured. In such a condition Krayt can quickly overwhelm him with an Ataru onslaught before he can fight back.

Krayt wasn't known for going straight for Dark Transfer even if he saw a weak point he would probably still use standard Force lightning both are capable of being blocked by a lightsaber. Kun on the other hand has a habit of going for Force Blasts long before any other ability, he favored it. The moment Krayt blasted Lightning (or DT) and Kun blocks it with his saber is the moment he will revert to Force Blast as is his preference. The moment he does so Krayt's finished.

Krayt wasn't known for going straight for Dark Transfer even if he saw a weak point he would probably still use standard Force lightning both are capable of being blocked by a lightsaber. Kun on the other hand has a habit of going for Force Blasts long before any other ability, he favored it. The moment Krayt blasted Lightning (or DT) and Kun blocks it with his saber is the moment he will revert to Force Blast as is his preference. The moment he does so Krayt's finished.
Well lets not jump to any broad conclusions, he has only engaged in one battle after gaining that power, and in said battle he used it fairly early on. Before that he was just taunting Cade. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't use this ability immediately against a far more powerful Force wielder rather than lightining which he knows Kun will just block. Seems like an unnecessary waste of energy.

On top of that Exar Kun is going to be keeping the pressure on, meaning Krayt will have few opportunities to exploit Kun's weaknesses. He's not going to waste that opportunity with anything other than his most potent attack.

And finally we must remember Krayt's excellent mastery over Force Sense - he'll quickly realise exactly how powerful Exar Kun is and that he is more powerful than himself, which will spur him to go all out from the start.

So a more likely scenario is that Krayt uses Dark Transfer, when Kun is exposed (via Shatterpoint) making him incapable of blocking it with his lightsaber and enduring a severe, if not fatal, injury. On the other hand I see little reason why if Kun used Force Blast it would be game over for Krayt. Krayt has highly attuned senses and excellent foreseeing abilities, which will indicate his precognition is just as excellent i.e. he can predict his opponents moves.

Given and given that acrobatic agility afforded by Ataru that he has at his disposal I see a strong possibility of Krayt evading such an attack, especially given the fact that it is not instant. Aleema Keto for example supposedly had enough time to raise a barrier. He might recieve a glancing hit but that's nothing his healing powers can't fix.

Well lets not jump to any broad conclusions, he has only engaged in one battle after gaining that power, and in said battle he used it fairly early on. Before that he was just taunting Cade. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't use this ability immediately against a far more powerful Force wielder rather than lightining which he knows Kun will just block. Seems like an unnecessary waste of energy.

On top of that Exar Kun is going to be keeping the pressure on, meaning Krayt will have few opportunities to exploit Kun's weaknesses. He's not going to waste that opportunity with anything other than his most potent attack.

And finally we must remember Krayt's excellent mastery over Force Sense - he'll quickly realise exactly how powerful Exar Kun is and that he is more powerful than himself, which will spur him to go all out from the start.

So a more likely scenario is that Krayt uses Dark Transfer, when Kun is exposed (via Shatterpoint) making him incapable of blocking it with his lightsaber and enduring a severe, if not fatal, injury. On the other hand I see little reason why if Kun used Force Blast it would be game over for Krayt. Krayt has highly attuned senses and excellent foreseeing abilities, which will indicate his precognition is just as excellent i.e. he can predict his opponents moves.

Given and given that acrobatic agility afforded by Ataru that he has at his disposal I see a strong possibility of Krayt evading such an attack, especially given the fact that it is not instant. Aleema Keto for example supposedly had enough time to raise a barrier. He might recieve a glancing hit but that's nothing his healing powers can't fix.

I don't think so, I don't think there will be a moment when Kun is exposed, Krayt has to try and create an opening and he doesn't have enough skill or power to really do so. As far as "foresight" and such go that's common to every sith and Jedi in combat it gives them all enhanced reflexes, and as we already know Kun is stronger in the force and I would not be surprised at all if he was to quick for Krayt to respond to in a manner that allows him to dodge. Aleema was fast enough to put up a minor barrier not fast enough to actually have any time to move, I see no reason why Krayt would be able to move fast enough to avoid the attack. Further more even a glancing blow should prove fatal to Krayt as once he is hit with such a blow he will be extremely hard pressed to find time to heal or get his footig back in any way, as once he is hit I am sure Kun will be on him like white on rice and ending him seconds later.

I don't think so, I don't think there will be a moment when Kun is exposed, Krayt has to try and create an opening and he doesn't have enough skill or power to really do so. As far as "foresight" and such go that's common to every sith and Jedi in combat it gives them all enhanced reflexes, and as we already know Kun is stronger in the force and I would not be surprised at all if he was to quick for Krayt to respond to in a manner that allows him to dodge. Aleema was fast enough to put up a minor barrier not fast enough to actually have any time to move, I see no reason why Krayt would be able to move fast enough to avoid the attack. Further more even a glancing blow should prove fatal to Krayt as once he is hit with such a blow he will be extremely hard pressed to find time to heal or get his footig back in any way, as once he is hit I am sure Kun will be on him like white on rice and ending him seconds later.
Shatterpoint. Everyone has a weak spot.

And yes its common, but given that Krayt had advanced skills in that arena, I'd assume his precog would be advanced in comparison with an average Force User. Certainly he'd be faster than Keto. And again, its not a question of speed for Kun because the ability is not instant. Krayt is an Ataru master, one su ma rotation is all he will need.

And just to note, Kun is my no means vastly more powerful than Krayt. The edge between them is notably small, very very small. Heck I expect I could argue Krayt was more powerful, and for all we know it may well be true.

Shatterpoint. Everyone has a weak spot.

And yes its common, but given that Krayt had advanced skills in that arena, I'd assume his precog would be advanced in comparison with an average Force User. Certainly he'd be faster than Keto. And again, its not a question of speed for Kun because the ability is not instant. Krayt is an Ataru master, one su ma rotation is all he will need.

And just to note, Kun is my no means vastly more powerful than Krayt. The edge between them is notably small, very very small. Heck I expect I could argue Krayt was more powerful, and for all we know it may well be true.

I doubt Krayt was more powerful but that's the whole point, he may be faster then Keto but I highly doubt he is that much faster, Even among the top there is still a very close between those that didn't make it and those towards the bottom of the top lists. So I doubt he would be all that much faster then Keto, and the speed of the Force blast is largely unknown its very possible its just as fast if not faster then Force Lightning, which means his ability to dodge is greatly in question as far as I know NO ONE has dodged it even ataru masters.

remember "Often, shatterpoints existed for only brief moments," and it is up to the wielder to recognize it and utilize it in those brief windows. Kun wont likely have a shatter point until an opening is created also Krayt was able to see shatter points "in the world around him". That doesn't neccisarily mean he can see it in a person only that he can see it as it pertains to the events of the universe. Not all uses of shatterpoint grant the same knowledge to the user, some can use it for events others can use it for combat some can use it for both its unclear that Krayt was one of those individuals that could use it for both.

I doubt Krayt was more powerful but that's the whole point, he may be faster then Keto but I highly doubt he is that much faster, Even among the top there is still a very close between those that didn't make it and those towards the bottom of the top lists. So I doubt he would be all that much faster then Keto, and the speed of the Force blast is largely unknown its very possible its just as fast if not faster then Force Lightning, which means his ability to dodge is greatly in question as far as I know NO ONE has dodged it even ataru masters.

remember "Often, shatterpoints existed for only brief moments," and it is up to the wielder to recognize it and utilize it in those brief windows. Kun wont likely have a shatter point until an opening is created also Krayt was able to see shatter points "in the world around him". That doesn't neccisarily mean he can see it in a person only that he can see it as it pertains to the events of the universe. Not all uses of shatterpoint grant the same knowledge to the user, some can use it for events others can use it for combat some can use it for both its unclear that Krayt was one of those individuals that could use it for both.

Keto was a dark side adept who didn't really have anything in the way of combat capabilities. She was a sorcerer, not a warrior. And hardly the most powerful of sorcerers. I expect Krayt eclipsed her abilities, just like Exar Kun did.

Given those two factors, Krayt will not only be faster, but he'll have a better 'danger sense' and he'll have more experience/skill with dodging attacks. And regardless of how fast the attack it once unleashed, it takes time to do so.

Of course this is all based off the assumption that Kun is unharmed by the dark transfer attack. Windows however brief, are windows, and Krayt is going to exploit them. All windows in lightsaber combat are brief but fighters are geared towards exploiting those weaknesses with lightning fast reflexes, precog etc. And people are part of the world, seeing shatterpoints "in the world around you" doesn't exclude living things. It most certainly includes them as all known users of shatterpoint have been able to see them in people. Krayt and Cade's capabilitites in shatterpoint and dark transfer were also very similar. And as Cade says:

"I got this crazy healing ability. I can see the weak points in you like little broken red lines! I can see where you got wounded recently. Someone smack you during a sparring session? Bet it was Nihl. I could heal that hurt. Pour the Force into the place where the red lines intersect. Or—and here's a new idea—Maybe I could explode that point. Kill you. Interesting idea. Should we try?"

This is the ability that Krayt inherited. Also in so far all users of shatterpoint have to my knowledge, had pretty much the same capabilities. They may have used it for different things but its implied that they are all the same. I don't think we should assume that Shatterpoint is at all unique for specific people, like all other Force powers its not.

Question: If Exar Kun was able to effortlessly break through the force barriers of powerful Jedi Masters such as Baas, Odan-Urr and Ood Bnar, would he be able to do the same to Krayt? and if he could, would Force Wound not greatly injure Krayt?

And as far as Dark Transfer goes, I believe Exar Kun's impressive displays with an almost instantaneous Dark Healing ability, would greatly minimise it's impact on him, that is if Exar Kun couldn't simply absorb it, given how deeply ingrained the ability is in Sith Sorcery and then use that absorbed power to unleash a very powerful Force Blast across the entire area Krayt is stood in, which might well kill him instantly, Krayt is no sorcerer and would not have any ability to defend himself.

Question: If Exar Kun was able to effortlessly break through the force barriers of powerful Jedi Masters such as Baas, Odan-Urr and Ood Bnar, would he be able to do the same to Krayt? and if he could, would Force Wound not greatly injure Krayt?

I don't know. Personally, I don't think so.

I do however believe Exar Kun far and beyond has the better Force Barriers here, the only times his Force Barriers have been successfully surpassed were via the spirit of Freedon Nadd, a Sith spirit of great power and the other time was from Odan-Urr, who is listed as having one of the most well developed and honed connections to the Force that a Jedi has had in the Old Sith Wars, he spent a thousand years preparing to battle the Dark Side and according to Master Vandar he was one of the most powerful Jedi in the Order's history up to his time.

Conversely Krayt's Force Barriers seem to be almost average as he's been put down hard by the likes of Cade and even a senior Imperial Knight, whilst prepared for combat and given Kun's history of using the Force to just batter his opponents down with Force Barriers giving seemingly no defence, I think Krayt is in serious trouble.

Edited by LadyKulvax

I do however believe Exar Kun far and beyond has the better Force Barriers here, the only times his Force Barriers have been successfully surpassed were via the spirit of Freedon Nadd, a Sith spirit of great power and the other time was from Odan-Urr, who is listed as having one of the most well developed and honed connections to the Force that a Jedi has had in the Old Sith Wars, he spent a thousand years preparing to battle the Dark Side and according to Master Vandar he was one of the most powerful Jedi in the Order's history up to his time.

Conversely Krayt's Force Barriers seem to be almost average as he's been put down hard by the likes of Cade and even a senior Imperial Knight, whilst prepared for combat and given Kun's history of using the Force to just batter his opponents down with Force Barriers giving seemingly no defence, I think Krayt is in serious trouble.

Hmm... A very good point.

None of this matters, for Bane would destroy them both. Bane would break kun's pansy sabre attacks, and piss on the force tickles. Kun would need his force flight to flee from Bane's wrath. The moment kun would flee in terror, Bane would force-choke kun, and throw his sabre up kun's fail arse. Krayt? Definitely sounds more interesting than kun. Krayt would bow before Bane, and become Bane's apprentice.

None of this matters, for Bane would destroy them both. Bane would break kun's pansy sabre attacks, and piss on the force tickles. Kun would need his force flight to flee from Bane's wrath. The moment kun would flee in terror, Bane would force-choke kun, and throw his sabre up kun's fail arse. Krayt? Definitely sounds more interesting than kun. Krayt would bow before Bane, and become Bane's apprentice.

If Zannah could beat Bane, Kun would whoop him. On other notes, this has nothing to do with the topics

I agree with Beni that Krayt and Exar Kun very close in terms of Force power.

Also, I think we should move on to the part of the debate where people start posting scenarios.

Alrighty, here's my 2 cents:

Krayt and Kun would first engage in lightsaber combat. This would continue for a bit because both use Niman. However, let's say Kun mixed in some Jar'kai (he did have good knowledge of it) and the battle turns to a Force-off. Krayt will use Dark Transfer, let's say Kun takes the hit and uses a quick Dark Heal to recuperate. Here's where it gets interesting. Krayt will find Kun's weaknesses via Shatterpoint, but he can't exploit it immediatley. The second Krayt takes his time to focus and find the Shatterpoint, Kun pulls up a Force blast and knocks Krayt into a wall. Krayt would find himself disoriented, and Kun would use Force flight to quickly get to Krayt and impale him. Kun Wins.

Zannah could destroy Exar-goon and Darth Kraut as well. That's obvious, and totally on topic.

That is off-topic as Zannah has nothing to with this thread. Not only that, but her dueling skill and Force abilities pale in comparison to those of Krayt and Kun.