Leveling Tank Questions

Kaidensareno

Pre-endgame you can use any of the tanking mods on the planetary vendors. That said, it is recommended to stack defense>shield>absorb.

If you need a detail distribution of tanking stats, take a look at this thread. Go to the Vanguard section and click on show spoilers.

Pre-endgame you can use any of the tanking mods on the planetary vendors. That said, it is recommended to stack defense>shield>absorb.

If you need a detail distribution of tanking stats, take a look at this thread. Go to the Vanguard section and click on show spoilers.

Shield is priority but it only occurs on enhancements. Defense vs. absorb doesn't matter for lowbie, but you will get defense gear earlier. If you do a lot of PvP you want to go absorb

As it so happens, I do PvP on my Tank a lot at this time. I'm the ideal tank at this level for 4v4 lowbie Arenas and I do well when my Guild runs with me with a Healer to keep us up. I'm running absorb augments in all of my slots so I'll stick to those until I start seeing Defense pop up in my armor pieces.

As it so happens, I do PvP on my Tank a lot at this time. I'm the ideal tank at this level for 4v4 lowbie Arenas and I do well when my Guild runs with me with a Healer to keep us up. I'm running absorb augments in all of my slots so I'll stick to those until I start seeing Defense pop up in my armor pieces.

Defense? Ditch it, Ditch it fast. Defense is garbage in pvp, the DR curve on it is ridiculous and it only effects a minority of attacks.

don't stack tanking gear before 50. prioritize dps gear or when you hit voss you'll be extremely irritated with how long fights are and how often you have to reload because elara can't keep up.

pick it up as you can, but you don't need dedicated tanking gear for pre 50 fp's.

don't stack tanking gear before 50. prioritize dps gear or when you hit voss you'll be extremely irritated with how long fights are and how often you have to reload because elara can't keep up.

pick it up as you can, but you don't need dedicated tanking gear for pre 50 fp's.

I would disagree with this statement on not needing tank gear for non-hard mode flashpoints. Vanguard was my first character, I became a decent tank, and while levelling, I did a lot of flashpoints. I'd run flashpoints for gear but even with full tank gear I could still easily get ripped apart because of undergeared or bad healers, or sometimes just bad dps who decide that they should kill the strongest enemy possible and expect you to just sort of tank everything and kill everything else before the gold(s) go down.

I would disagree with this statement on not needing tank gear for non-hard mode flashpoints. Vanguard was my first character, I became a decent tank, and while levelling, I did a lot of flashpoints. I'd run flashpoints for gear but even with full tank gear I could still easily get ripped apart because of undergeared or bad healers, or sometimes just bad dps who decide that they should kill the strongest enemy possible and expect you to just sort of tank everything and kill everything else before the gold(s) go down.

full tanking gear won't make up for that bad of a healer

and derp derp dps is something one simply has to deal with in pugs. if they are that bad, put them on ignore so you never get queue'd with them again. same with bad healers and ninja looters.

if it's really bad, just bail. the cooldown isn't that long and the queue is nearly instant for tanks even at lower levels.

full tanking gear won't make up for that bad of a healer

and derp derp dps is something one simply has to deal with in pugs. if they are that bad, put them on ignore so you never get queue'd with them again. same with bad healers and ninja looters.

if it's really bad, just bail. the cooldown isn't that long and the queue is nearly instant for tanks even at lower levels.

healing a dps geared tank is ridiculously tough.

healing a dps geared tank is ridiculously tough.

pre 50? only for sages/sorcs. scoundrel/op and commandos/mercs that aren't afk and know how to manage their resources have more healing than is required for the way the low-level flashpoints are tuned. healers heal for a helluva lot more now than they did pre 2.0