Hidden strike can only be used from stealth as its high damage but smash is not?

ripamorame

Just some prior knowledge i like my op i am trying to play concealment at 55 but im getting hit for 10k by maras with lolsmash spec so i pose this question. from the scoundrel answers thread :

Shoot First/Hidden Strike does great damage because it requires you to be stealthed behind your target. If it did not require stealth, it would do considerably less damage. Our metrics assume that Shoot First/Hidden Strike is only used once per encounter, so if you are using Disappearing Act/Cloaking Screen to perform additional Shoot First/Hidden Strike attacks in a single encounter, then you are probably performing above our expectations. We understand the difficulties in using a positional attack from stealth, and we do not wish to require players to use an escape mechanic to produce competitive, sustained damage. That said, we have to be careful to keep the burst damage at a reasonable level when the mechanic is used. We might consider giving Scrapper/Concealment Scoundrels/Operatives a way to use Shoot First/Hidden Strike outside of stealth, since they already have many skills that improve it, but such a drastic change to gameplay would be more likely to come along in an expansion pack than a balance update.

But smash is balanced? I don't get how our opener is only a opener because it hits relavtivley hard but smash hits harder can be used out of stealth and doesn't require positioning or and kind of stealthy approach and its a aoe. I honestly don't see how this is a justification can someone explain this to me or shed some light on the matter maybe a bioware response.

Edited by ripamorame

Not saying that Smash specs are not overtuned in some situations, but comparing two skills head to head is asinine. Other mechanics, skills and tactical options need to be taken into account.

It's like a Sniper saying "Sorc is OP, he can LoS and heal to full", or some other outrageous heresy.

Edited by Helig

Smash? Maul/Shadow strike can be used without stealth... Who cares about smash!

This was the important part, but smash is still a relevant comparison IMO. Why play a stealth burst class when you can play a tank with derp burst on a 7s CD , higher sustained in between, no resource management, better mobility and more control?

Oh wait. You don't. Rofl

Don't whine people! I can already sense another nerf coming :mon_trap:

Understand - Juggers, Marauders and Assassins are always gonna be above us. They are force wielders, whereas we are not. You can't argue with that now, can you?

But snipers and mercs also better then dps OPs! :)