Archeage

Celwinn

• 9 months later...

Wow. Not much buzz around here but I am just starting to get an interest in Archeage. Might be fun for a PvP fix as it seems to be one of many coming that have sort of a PvP focus.

Closed beta even number 2 starts tomorrow and I am in to give it a try.

First off. Archeage looks good. It looks like its going to be ability heavy. meaning Im not going to have to stick to six abilities on my task bar. So that looks to be the biggest intitial plus. It also seems like its going to be a sandbox type game. where if your in it from the begining, you can really tear into some good player generated scenarios(not talking bout RP), just players creating large scale battles and such.

Is it better than starwars. NO. Animations, imersion, will probably not be beat by any MMO for a long time.

SWTOR is only lagging behind in content. Im not much of a content freak, but even the dryspell of new content this game has faced is hard to bare. Until guildships and more content come our way, im just kinda twiddling my thumbs, archeage is a perfect new Game until that happens.

Archeage looks and feels like Rift in gameplay terms.

It looks as customizeable character wise as skyrim in terms of what abilities you bring.

Storyline wise is handles like guild wars 2 with readable script, and minor cutscenes here and their.

I have to echo the thoughts on the setting. Not big on the art, and the combat is also kind of odd. The music gets a little obnoxious.

But I have to tell you, I found some of the trials chat I saw for the justice system was hilarious. I need to look more into that.

Why would anyone? It looks just like one of the too many already existing korean f2p-clones.

Thing is if you liked old school swg you will probably like this game if you enjoy a dark ages twist. It's a lot of the same things as swg. You get your land you take care of it and build it up. Heavily guild and clan groups encouraged to do runs and build things. The exploring seems nice as well as the pvp. I consistently see vids where just because your max lvl doesn't mean jack. Coordination and focus fire wins no matter the lvl which is nice. Cuss in eq2 back when I played it pre f2p. One high lvl could lawl roll face 6 people who were only 10-15 lvls lower. And in archeage that won't happen thankfully.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL I don't know if the game is actually good, but it is ridiculous at times to where it keeps me entertained. If you like world PvP (outside of some safe zones) you should at least check it out either now during open beta or when it releases in a few days. It will be free to play with cash shop.

These guys show some of the goofiness while being probably goofier themselves.

(Warning. They swear.)

Yesterday headstart has been a complete fail and the worst early access I have ever seen.

The main issue being that a bunch of people (myself included) were not recognized as Patrons (paying) but placed in the F2P queue instead though we were all Patrons since F2P can only join on Sept. 16th (by the way my waiting time ended to be more like 90 minutes). Patrons get priority over F2P which means that people that were in the right queue could access the servers faster.

Now you would say: so what? Unlike your regular MMO where getting in game faster only means that you will get a few levels ahead of other people, ArcheAge puts a strong emphasis on owning land, you need a house to access extra storage, you need at least a garden to grow plants or/and raise live stock in order to craft and make trade runs. Housing is a vital part of the game, it is not just a luxury. Logging in ahead of other people really gives an advantage to drop a house. That would be fair game if everyone had the same chance but that's not the case with people ending in the slow F2P queue.

Less than 2 hours after the servers were up all the housing areas were completely full, there's no room left even in the PvP areas. They have been warned multiple times that it was far too easy to get a house (it takes 30 minutes of questing to get enough tokens to buy the basic house and that it is if you already didn't get enough from the gifts you received) and that it would be an issue at launch, once again a company refuses to listen to its playerbase and shoot themselves in the foot. The main bonus of being a Patron is owning land but since there is nothing left there is no point paying for that status anymore. For information, this bug (people not recognized as Patron) has been rampant through all the beta, heck the russian release even went through the same issue and they never cared about fixing this.

And don't get me started with the various bugs, like people receving a mail with their founder gift... more than a dozen of times. People could end with 30 Gold 2 minutes after logging in or with enough Gilda Stars (currency to buy various plans) to get their house in the same time frame while people even didn't get a single mail.

The whole headstart has been about people getting an unfair advantage and TRION doing nothing to fix this. I got an invite during the close beta, got hyped and bought a Founder pack to the point where I was wondering how I could play both TOR and AA at the same time. That mess answered my question.

Edited by demotivator

Such exaggerations... many MMOs had much crappier launch days, with the servers being down for most of the day.

My best friend's currently playing it and has been since it went live yesterday, and the spot he's got in mind to place his house is still free.

Most likely they messed up one of the packs. My guess would be the lowest priced one, since he's got the 150€ pack and had no issues with the queue whatsoever.

I suspect that after the weekend's over all land will indeed be gone though, since all the headstart guilds are already staking their claims by planting little houses wherever they can so that they can break them down later and build their castles on those spots (along with proper houses I imagine).

The housing thing was predicted long ago though. Part of the reason I intend to play it very casually when it goes live on the 16th, and as a F2P account.

You generally get nowhere in games like that unless you're hardcore. Which has its own group of people that love those kind of games, and I'm perfectly fine with leaving it to them. (Even if the opposite doesn't hold true and they take a crap on every game that doesn't meet their tastes)

Btw, a lot of people have speculated that they'll open new servers the 16th, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

This way they can convince a lot of F2Pers to invest in the game, since there will be plenty of land left on those new servers. You might be better off switching to one of those if they open them indeed.

Edited by Callaron

Yesterday headstart has been a complete fail and the worst early access I have ever seen.

The main issue being that a bunch of people (myself included) were not recognized as Patrons (paying) but placed in the F2P queue instead though we were all Patrons since F2P can only join on Sept. 16th (by the way my waiting time ended to be more like 90 minutes). Patrons get priority over F2P which means that people that were in the right queue could access the servers faster.

Now you would say: so what? Unlike your regular MMO where getting in game faster only means that you will get a few levels ahead of other people, ArcheAge puts a strong emphasis on owning land, you need a house to access extra storage, you need at least a garden to grow plants or/and raise live stock in order to craft and make trade runs. Housing is a vital part of the game, it is not just a luxury. Logging in ahead of other people really gives an advantage to drop a house. That would be fair game if everyone had the same chance but that's not the case with people ending in the slow F2P queue.

Less than 2 hours after the servers were up all the housing areas were completely full, there's no room left even in the PvP areas. They have been warned multiple times that it was far too easy to get a house (it takes 30 minutes of questing to get enough tokens to buy the basic house and that it is if you already didn't get enough from the gifts you received) and that it would be an issue at launch, once again a company refuses to listen to its playerbase and shoot themselves in the foot. The main bonus of being a Patron is owning land but since there is nothing left there is no point paying for that status anymore. For information, this bug (people not recognized as Patron) has been rampant through all the beta, heck the russian release even went through the same issue and they never cared about fixing this.

And don't get me started with the various bugs, like people receving a mail with their founder gift... more than a dozen of times. People could end with 30 Gold 2 minutes after logging in or with enough Gilda Stars (currency to buy various plans) to get their house in the same time frame while people even didn't get a single mail.

The whole headstart has been about people getting an unfair advantage and TRION doing nothing to fix this. I got an invite during the close beta, got hyped and bought a Founder pack to the point where I was wondering how I could play both TOR and AA at the same time. That mess answered my question.

Well, I am sorry you're having a hard time, but it housing plots were hardly full after 2 hours. Actually, I placed my house at midnight last night and I didnt even start playing until about 8 pm. And guildies have been placing after that, but at least where I am at, it is probably full by now.

That aside, I understand you being upset as it was messy yesterday, I hear; while I was at work, but I got on no problem at 8 after dinner and all that stuff without a snag, but I would be irritated if my patron status was not functioning as well.

Forgot I meant to talk about the game and not the launch.

Combat is average tab targeting, nothing special.

Class system is huge and diverse with so many choices, but like many that are that way, only about 20 or so builds are decent. Still leaves the possibility of something not being discovered yet as working well together.

Animation and character models are not my favorite.

Graphics are not the best but some of the landscape is beautifully done. Spent a chunk of my play time yesterday, climbing mountains and then flying over the land seeing the environments change seemlessly (no loading screens unless you teleport). Was beautiful.

Music sometimes is good, other times awful, depending on area your in

Quests are not voiced and cheesey

I guess I could just sum it up as the game, as far as games go, it might be a mediocre to bad game; but you don't play it for the graphics. Sort of like Minecraft. You play it because you can do what you want and it leaves plenty of options. You can fly, ride a horse, mounted combat with those. There are airships to ride for travel as well as ground carriers. You can own a car. Their are sieges, there are boats, there is PvP with a purpose. You can farm, build a house, own land, conquer land and charge residents taxes in PvP areas. Just don't know what you can't do really. That makes up for all the bad, and there is lots of bad.

Put a bunch of people in a room, tell them they can do anything, give them everything then put a justice system in their hands and then pvp on top of it all.

Sound like the top vacuum cleaner on the shelf at Walmart during black Friday.

Don't be fooled.

Swtor currently outshines the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion, but wow is on its way into the Korean MMO popularity of meaningless content click bricks.

Archeage may be a sandbox, but it's definitely a sandbox full of cat poop.

Edited by Deinxceriis

Put a bunch of people in a room, tell them they can do anything, give them everything then put a justice system in their hands and then pvp on top of it all.

Sound like the top vacuum cleaner on the shelf at Walmart during black Friday.

Don't be fooled.

Swtor currently outshines the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion, but wow is on its way into the Korean MMO popularity of meaningless content click bricks.

Archeage may be a sandbox, but it's definitely a sandbox full of cat poop.

A click brick? Where did you hear about click bricks, where is that expression from?

I have been playing and i must say it is way better than TOR. The animations are smoother, the landscapes are much better, and combat actually goes off correctly. Questing is much like any other game, go here kill this come back, but at least in Archeage i don't have to sit there and listen to a horrible voice actor repeat the same thing over and over again before i can move on with the quest, its just a few lines and boom im off. Archeage is the reason ill be canceling my tor subscription, tor is just too limiting and linear for me, i like to wonder around and explore! i like to craft and do my own thing at times. i just cant do that in tor, crafting is pretty much pointless in tor but in Archeage its very important.

i am an SWG vet and Archeage is a very good replacement.... even without lightsabers!

p.s. there is still plenty of land to place houses in game. you just have to look around for it. also they have been working on all the problems they had at start, and most of them have been fixed. the only problem i see with the game is it needs more servers...badly!! that and their collision... the collision in game drives me nuts!! B^P mostly because it seams everyone can push me out of the way and i cant push ANYONE out of my way B^P

I have been playing and i must say it is way better than TOR. The animations are smoother, the landscapes are much better, and combat actually goes off correctly. Questing is much like any other game, go here kill this come back, but at least in Archeage i don't have to sit there and listen to a horrible voice actor repeat the same thing over and over again before i can move on with the quest, its just a few lines and boom im off. Archeage is the reason ill be canceling my tor subscription, tor is just too limiting and linear for me, i like to wonder around and explore! i like to craft and do my own thing at times. i just cant do that in tor, crafting is pretty much pointless in tor but in Archeage its very important.

i am an SWG vet and Archeage is a very good replacement.... even without lightsabers!

p.s. there is still plenty of land to place houses in game. you just have to look around for it. also they have been working on all the problems they had at start, and most of them have been fixed. the only problem i see with the game is it needs more servers...badly!! that and their collision... the collision in game drives me nuts!! B^P mostly because it seams everyone can push me out of the way and i cant push ANYONE out of my way B^P

Yeah, its fun but it may need more servers like you said. I think they are being careful with adding too many only to have that drop after a month or so, but right now, the Q is ridiculous for my couple hours a night, and it's packed everywhere which makes that collision detection annoying. I also seem to be the one always pushed around.

Yeah, its fun but it may need more servers like you said. I think they are being careful with adding too many only to have that drop after a month or so, but right now, the Q is ridiculous for my couple hours a night, and it's packed everywhere which makes that collision detection annoying. I also seem to be the one always pushed around.

heh they doubled the number of servers but they are all still full with at least an hour wait time to get into game B^P earlier i had a 2 hour wait to get in.