I have 29 days left..

SaerethDL

A lot of misinformed people here. You don't need a credit card to register to this MMO, or WoW, or any other I've played. You can use paypal or a timecard without giving CC information. Also, canceling your subscription wipes your billing information from their databanks to ensure you are not mistakenly billed. CC info is NOT necessary.

The point of this registration seems to be to familiarize people with payment options, seeing as how you can cancel it at the end of your first 30 days without being charged.

This policy GREATLY inconvenienced and annoyed me; I was planning to not get a time card until the end of the month, as I'm not sure if I'll still be living here or having internet at that time. This is a bad business practice. The fine print of my product key said that the cost of subscription was included in the original purchase cost, therefore, EA misrepresented their policy with this move.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is certainly not true of WoW or Rift. I never played SWG, but the other two do require a payment method up front (or at least did when I last played them).

I was in SWG and WoW at launch and I had to input my CC info,I know it was them for sure since those are the only MMO's I have ever bought.

A lot of misinformed people here. You don''t need a credit card to register to this MMO, or WoW, or any other I''ve played. You can use paypal or a timecard without giving CC information. Also, canceling your subscription wipes your billing information from their databanks to ensure you are not mistakenly billed. CC info is NOT necessary.

The point of this registration seems to be to familiarize people with payment options, seeing as how you can cancel it at the end of your first 30 days without being charged.

This policy GREATLY inconvenienced and annoyed me I was planning to not get a time card until the end of the month, as I''m not sure if I''ll still be living here or having internet at that time. This is a bad business practice. The fine print of my product key said that the cost of subscription was included in the original purchase cost, therefore, EA misrepresented their policy with this move.

Lies, lies and more lies.

Every single major MMO of the last 10 years required you to enter either a CC, time card, or they started using Paypal in the last 3 years or so.

No MMO allowed you to play the first 30 days without using one of those options.

The only time I hadn''t needed to do that was when playing the free trial of certain games. However once I purchase the game, in order to access it I still needed to use one of the payment options.

Entering the CC does not charge you for the next month. You can enter the CC and cancel the monthly charge right away if you like.

But i can''t play without an active subscription? So i just bought a 60 dollar game and can''t play my free month without putting my credit card info in.. whats the deal bioware?

Your free game time should not start until they start billing you for an active subscription.

When you set up an active subscription then the free 30 days is applied to that sub, and once those 30 days are over, they will bill you $15 for another 30 days.

If you haven''t set up a sub then you still have 30 full days. For people taking full advantage of the grace period you could theoretically have 32 days of play time from the 20th.

nope wrong.. not all mmo''s had that. all they are trying to do is get more money by people forgetting or not knowing how to cancel their subscription, so they keep getting charged even if they dont play. Every single mmo i have bought new, swg, wow, rift, has came with a free month of play with no CC info.

Well that''s a crock for certain, because you have to input CC info on all of those MMOs.

It is a bit "hard nosed" of BW, but ultimately their call.

But, at least gold spammers will not be making throw away accounts to bring into the game to hassle people. I hate them for a reason: I actually got banned in my last game because someone brought something off me on the AH using money they got from a gold seller... Imagine that in THIS game?? You craft something and put it on sale on the Galactic Trade Network.. come to log in a later day and discover you are banned and all of your effort into characters is gone?

I''m more bothered that my spouse has paid for this game including the 30 days free and can not play now that the grace period is over because the company we brought off has been idiotic. Two copies ordered, one not even sent while the other arrived on the 21st.

As far as WoW not requiring you to enter a CC to play, that is somewhat correct. You must enter in your method of payment for your monthly subscription at the time that you create your account. At the time, this could be a CC or a Game Time Card if I remember correctly. It spells this out quite clearly in the actual game manual on page 12 between paragraphs 3 and 4. I could go through Rift, FFXI, FFXIV, SW:TOR, AION, and WAR for you too if you''d like but every single one of these games requires you to input your ''payment'' method up front before you are able to play.

But i can''t play without an active subscription? So i just bought a 60 dollar game and can''t play my free month without putting my credit card info in.. whats the deal bioware?

It''s an MMO, this is normal. Put your credit card info in and you can play. Don''t bother, and you lose.

Gave them my credit card info with intent to cancel before I was billed but they went ahead and charged me a dollar right off the bat. :rolleyes:

That charge is very likely what''s called a pre-authorization hold. It''s strictly to verify that the card is valid and has available funds. The charge usually falls of within 3-5 business days. If it doesn''t fall off by then, I guarantee they will tell you to contact your card issuer.

But, at least gold spammers will not be making throw away accounts to bring into the game to hassle people. I hate them for a reason: I actually got banned in my last game because someone brought something off me on the AH using money they got from a gold seller... Imagine that in THIS game?? You craft something and put it on sale on the Galactic Trade Network.. come to log in a later day and discover you are banned and all of your effort into characters is gone?

This happened in SWG. Mass credit duping dumped into the AH then a ban tsunami of everyone involved. Bioware should take much notice of how poor management ruined a viable game. It doesn''t stop anything, it just makes it a bigger pain in the @ss for people just trying to play.

Kids... Just get your parent to put in the info and tell them that they can cancel it whenever they want to. If you''re an adult, or a young adult, even VISA ELECTRON will suffice. Nuff said.

Yeah just tell em everything, What could it hurt to give every company you deal with all of your personal information? I mean its not like SOE ,Sega, or Citigroup had there databases ripped open this year. Good well thought out advice.

nope wrong.. not all mmo's had that. all they are trying to do is get more money by people forgetting or not knowing how to cancel their subscription, so they keep getting charged even if they dont play. Every single mmo i have bought new, swg, wow, rift, has came with a free month of play with no CC info.

ALL the games you mentioned in fact REQUIRED that so that's a big lie dude.

Yeah just tell em everything, What could it hurt to give every company you deal with all of your personal information? I mean its not like SOE ,Sega, or Citigroup had there databases ripped open this year. Good well thought out advice.

Sounds like with the paranoia you have, MMO's and possibly the internet in general are something you might want to steer clear from...

You are aware that if they steal your CC you are liable for 0% of the stolen purchases.

If your CC gets stolen, you just call Mastercard/Visa say "yo my CC was stolen."

They lock the card, you tell them which purchases were fraudulent, they take them off IMMEDIATELY.

They send you a new card and new number.

Assuming you didn't try to trick then and get them to take off legitimate charges you will never hear from them again and life will go on without a hitch.

Its a simple, safe tool for buying online. Why people are still scared of having their CC stolen while using legitimate sites in 2011 is just beyond me.

Edited by Sparkky

thanks for the helpful comment. I'm new to mmo's because you know that for a fact. lol swg was my first mmo, i was in close beta 2 of that game, and played launch pre-cu, was one of first hundred jedi on swg.. i was also a general testers for swtor, for 8 months and some of my suggestions got implemented in the game. give me a break, this community is horrible. peace

And you didn't know that you would need a CC to set up the game?

Your either, troll, full of bull or just didn't bother finding anything out about the game.

I'm guessing all 3

Edited by Woodspoon

What SW:TOR did is NOT standard billing practice for MMORPGs, and I have played many of them.

Yes, I expect the first month free...

Yes, I expect they need my credit info to make sure a kid isn't playing a game...they were given that...

But NO MMORPG I have ever played has disallowed you from playing the free month until you signed up for a billing plan beyond that. They should specify, "buying the game gives you one free month in addition to extra bought time".

So we just cancel before our month is up and we're charged? That isn't standard practice of the games I've played.

But, I guess if I'm a victim I'm not complaining enough. After all, I've liked the game and the release and will be forking over that money. I plan to play and don't plan to play so hard I hit max level in 30 days.

Just sayin', it isn't standard practice of most MMORPGs today.

What SW:TOR did is NOT standard billing practice for MMORPGs, and I have played many of them.

Yes, I expect they need my credit info to make sure a kid isn't playing a game...they were given that...

But NO MMORPG I have ever played has disallowed you from playing the free month until you signed up for a billing plan beyond that. They should specify, "buying the game gives you one free month in addition to extra bought time".

So we just cancel before our month is up and we're charged? That isn't standard practice of the games I've played.

But, I guess if I'm a victim I'm not complaining enough. After all, I've liked the game and the release and will be forking over that money. I plan to play and don't plan to play so hard I hit max level in 30 days.

Actually yes it is, my friend just complained about this today when he activated WoW, his first MMO ever.

Actually yes it is, my friend just complained about this today when he activated WoW, his first MMO ever.

You can get two weeks of wow for FREE without using ANY information except an email... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edit: Actually isn't it till level 20 for free now?

Edited by DxMxD

Oh well, this isn't another MMO. Deal with it.

But i can't play without an active subscription? So i just bought a 60 dollar game and can't play my free month without putting my credit card info in.. whats the deal bioware?

Welcome to P2P MMORPG's.

Enjoy your stay.