Why does tanks have so much worse comm gear?

Why does tanks get worse comm gear than dps/heal? Several tank implants/ears have accuracy on them which no one will buy ever and unlike the enhancments you can't rip the accuracy out. They also get the B mods instead of unlettered like power/crit. This is making tanks a lot more dependent on specific drops and take significant more time to get optimized gear.

It's doesn't getter better that the new op drops implant only half of the time and belt the other half. Tanks need both, belt/bracer as a source for mods instead of comms and implants because the comm implants have accuracy. BW should atleast remove the accuracy on the implants/ears so it's actually possible to use them without gimping yourself.

I agree. Most of the tank gear is Utterly horrible *in respect to the other roles* Don't really see people using the gear for long, maybe just for armourings and a general END boost for the new content without going overboard.

It is much more painful to gear tanks but I'm not to fussed Just don't understand why BW want the tanks to work harder to optimize. :confused:

Signed. Tank comm gear sucks. No defence on any of it - excuse me? BW that's sweatshop mean. Class up a few notches.

Not only that most of the Verpine drops in raid suck as well. And good luck getting that one drop with defence on it.

Then top that with that crap dice role loot distribution. Really Crafting and GTN saved my bacon. Had to replace every single comm bought piece of gear's enhancement with a bought enhancement except for my 1 piece of Underworld gear that the gods of RNG bestowed upon me.

Now, I could live with that as suckky as it was but now - no isotopes for crafters for comms???? Huh? Really be interested to see what happens to crafteds.

Would really be a fundamentally human and considerate thing for BW to do - to include at least 1 piece of comm gear with defence on the enhancements so we don't have to spend a year or two waiting for RNG to give it to us^^

Or, put back isotopes as a comms reward.

Well there is perhaps a reason for that (just speculation on my part), tanks usually are okay if they are a bit under-geared when they are facing a new tier of content. The DPS on the other hand (and to a certain extent healers) can not suffer loss of dps in the same way tanks lose on mitigation when choosing un-optimized gear.

Well there is perhaps a reason for that (just speculation on my part), tanks usually are okay if they are a bit under-geared when they are facing a new tier of content. The DPS on the other hand (and to a certain extent healers) can not suffer loss of dps in the same way tanks lose on mitigation when choosing un-optimized gear.

Isn't it the other way round? When tanks run into aggro problems or survivability problems everyone dies. If DPS isn't doing enough there is either adds managment issue or enrage - wchich both can be worked on if you are actually surviving the mechanics. Also dimnishing returns make each tier of gear give less mitigation to tanks then DPS gains damage dealers get from power and main stat. I am also slightly worried about tank damage not growing at the same rate as damage dealers damage which may cause (I think) issues in this or next tier of gear.

This is why I love being an Op. I can re-use a lot of my gear between my healer spec and DPS spec and I don't have to worry so much about terrible itemization.

Tanks have it really hard for some reason, and I don't understand why.

Went through all the oricon comm gear and it's the same for all tanks. Only belt and bracer has defense, all implants have accuracy but the earpiece doesn't. So there is noway to get defense enhancements or implants with comms. Edited by Berjiz

Isn't it the other way round? When tanks run into aggro problems or survivability problems everyone dies. If DPS isn't doing enough there is either adds managment issue or enrage - wchich both can be worked on if you are actually surviving the mechanics.

A good tank/healer team can usually under-gear pretty much everything. I'm quite confident that if you put my shadow in optimized 63 gear, I could tank HM S&V and TfB without breaking a sweat or pushing my healers too much. It's much harder for DPS to pull off the same feat, given the realities of hard enrage timers. In general, I'm a huge fan of gearing DPS first, then healers, then tanks (and this coming from someone who mains a tank). More DPS just makes everything easier.

Also dimnishing returns make each tier of gear give less mitigation to tanks then DPS gains damage dealers get from power and main stat. I am also slightly worried about tank damage not growing at the same rate as damage dealers damage which may cause (I think) issues in this or next tier of gear.

The interaction between tank damage scaling and DPS damage scaling is rather complex. For the most part, as long as you're in unlettered mods of each tier, you should be scaling up appropriately due to the 200% modifier on your stance. Back when the modifier was only 150%, scaling was pretty borked. A good DPS even in Rakata gear could pretty much rip agro at will off of a tank who wasn't obsessively taunt fluffing. Things are a lot better now.

Incidentally, don't obsess too much about getting your defense up. Preliminary (and I do stress that word) numbers from the new HMs indicate that they're much more F/T heavy than S&V, and fairly close to TfB. This means that zero defense builds for shadows and vanguards and low defense builds for guardians are likely to be the new BiS. We'll be generating new stat distributions as soon as we have final numbers.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

All this confusion over how I should be itemizing is why I just stick to healing and going pewpew.

On a side note yeah what is it with them putting honestly rather lousy stats on most tanking gear? I could understand one or two pieces having accuracy, but only the belt and bracers being the only ones that don't have accuracy on them? C'mon Bioware.

The interaction between tank damage scaling and DPS damage scaling is rather complex. For the most part, as long as you're in unlettered mods of each tier, you should be scaling up appropriately due to the 200% modifier on your stance. Back when the modifier was only 150%, scaling was pretty borked. A good DPS even in Rakata gear could pretty much rip agro at will off of a tank who wasn't obsessively taunt fluffing. Things are a lot better now.

So I guess my only problem now is that the damage dealers got themselves craploads of commendations gear and they are all +100-200 DPS from what they were a week ago (my slinger ALT is doing over 3000DPS now on bosses which was unmanageable for me in 72 gear and I only have OH barrel and belt/bracers for comms) . But it's manageable at the moment. I hope I get lucky with loot. And I'll get the OH as soon as I have enough comms.

Incidentally, don't obsess too much about getting your defense up. Preliminary (and I do stress that word) numbers from the new HMs indicate that they're much more F/T heavy than S&V, and fairly close to TfB. This means that zero defense builds for shadows and vanguards and low defense builds for guardians are likely to be the new BiS. We'll be generating new stat distributions as soon as we have final numbers.

That's good news as I was worried if I wasn't making it hard having only about 240 defence (I can't get it much lower without loosing a lot stat budget). Incidentally all the new gear I saw so far had defence on it and all the shadowed pieces I have had defence and I sent enhancements to my guardian. So I'll keep stacking defence. I'm just not sure if I should get more shield as I'm currently about 960 shield and 1240 absorb if I remember correctly.

On the plus I can buy veracity implants and earpiece and those are pretty much BIS

I do agree almost all the gear except for the bracers and belt are absorption and sheild

I can always just remove the mods from the belts if needed but what really sucks is the implants that have accuracy

I decided to spend my comms on DPS gear instead, since the tank gear asside from earpiece, belt and bracer is worthless for my jug. I figured if I can get set piece drops or a good random drop then I could make use of the mods there (using lower end armorings for set bonus pieces seems like a fine alternative considering I am less reliant on armoring/endurance).

That said, I should not be without any defense enhancements on even a single piece of tank armor from any vendor. It's already a turn off that I need a DPS and tank set of gear to switch roles on my jug while healers do not, but now the only way I can get good enhancements is by ripping the mods out of raid drops, that is a bit much.

Also, at least take the accuracy out of the implants and maybe make them shield+absorb instead so it's not as bad there, those things are completely unwanted as is.

Edited by Zerogates

Agreed. This is most terrible tank gear ever.

Shame on me, but im using mods and enchancements from lower tier gear, simply becouse they give better mitigation than HIGHER tier gear (im taking only armorings from it). And the only thing that gear can improve is my health/main stat. But who will care about your health, if gear is lowering your defensive stats?

A good tank/healer team can usually under-gear pretty much everything. I'm quite confident that if you put my shadow in optimized 63 gear, I could tank HM S&V and TfB without breaking a sweat or pushing my healers too much.

With that logic, shouldn't healers be also screwed with comm gear as well ? They aren't. In fact, they are in even better situation than dps, since healers aside from BiS mods, they can get BiS power/alacrity enhancements

Also, weren't the first clears of those hms made by guilds with Dread Guard gear (including dps) ?

I heavily supprt the change of the implants.

I mean, okay, if they though to give tanks a bit attack power, or a bit crit rate/crit power on those okay, that could be considered a thing for better keeping aggro with new new dps gear and stuff. But what the hell are the accuracy for?

And I also support the idea of finally having traders that sell us the mods instead of the finished gear. It wouldn't be much more work, and it would provide two things:

1) it would give us more freedom in how we actually equipt our chars and what sats we preffer what way.

2) it would be easier for the people who don't play as much, because they wouldn't need to do 3 16 man ops to be able to get a single piece, but have it more spread out an getting more stable upgrades.

Signed. Tank comm gear sucks. No defence on any of it - excuse me? BW that's sweatshop mean. Class up a few notches.

Not only that most of the Verpine drops in raid suck as well. And good luck getting that one drop with defence on it.

Then top that with that crap dice role loot distribution. Really Crafting and GTN saved my bacon. Had to replace every single comm bought piece of gear's enhancement with a bought enhancement except for my 1 piece of Underworld gear that the gods of RNG bestowed upon me.

Now, I could live with that as suckky as it was but now - no isotopes for crafters for comms???? Huh? Really be interested to see what happens to crafteds.

Would really be a fundamentally human and considerate thing for BW to do - to include at least 1 piece of comm gear with defence on the enhancements so we don't have to spend a year or two waiting for RNG to give it to us^^

Or, put back isotopes as a comms reward.

wht do you mean? you can still buy isotope 5 for 35 basic comms

Not only tanks.... I've to buy two pieces of gear to actually gear up the healer. The "Force healer" equipment having critical on mods and enhancements, and crit is as useful as sandals on arctica.

1) Crit may not be quite as useless in the 78 tier since you get SO MUCH in just a single mod.

2) Healers can use DPS gear if the mods are better, and as mentioned if you buy some Jedi Knight pants you can get the good Power/Alacrity enhancements as well. This works vice versa as well. My Commando bought the healer off hand because that was the one with the power mod, and I can't remember but I might have bought the healer belt as well for the same reason. Tanks, unfortunately, have no such recourse. Only tank gear has tanking stats on it.

wht do you mean? you can still buy isotope 5 for 35 basic comms

It is likely that the person you quoted isn't aware that they fixed the comm vendors being out of stock of the Isotope 5s.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

Not only tanks.... I've to buy two pieces of gear to actually gear up the healer. The "Force healer" equipment having critical on mods and enhancements, and crit is as useful as sandals on arctica.

Yeah but it's still possible, and you can get the good alacrity/power enhancments. And you get the good mods.

My suggestion is to remove belts and bracers from the loot tables and change the tank mods to unlettered mods.

Tanks dont have worse comm gear guys. At least not in my opinion. Here's why:

Tanks:

- mod

alltough not BiS its better than 72 gear (you lose about 1 or 2 absorb or defense per piece but gain endurence)

- enhancements

you will lose absorb but gain shield and endurence. According to my own calculations I would lose about 2%-point absorb while gaining about 1,5% shield. Count the endurence gain and I don't think the enhancements are that bad.

DPS/Healers

- mod

BiS

- enhancement

No reason what so ever to take them

Basicly the way how I see it is that comm gear for tanks is the best around if compared against dps and healers.

About the accuracy gain. That one is bad indeed. Alltough those that advocate using critrating should think twice. You critrating might make you crit a bit more often. Accuracy will make your attacks miss less often. As a tank I assume out of the top of my head that having accuracy improve DPS/TPS the most.

But then again, I'm not about to place either in my gear. I value mitigation more than dps.

Remember more crit is better than less power. Also, crit is not useless. On scoundrels, in min/max 72 gear, you wanted 360ish crit rating.