The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Darth Malak runs the gauntlet

XSUPREMESKILLZX

Well actually Maul became more powerful, effectively his hatred for Kenobi over those years made him stronger.

i am too lazy right now to read his new biography after the CW release,but is this actually stated?

Because essentially he was more powerful than Kenobi before and he was more powerful after.The reason he got cut down is not because he was weaker.

How do you measure he became stronger than before.,unless it is stated somewhere?

While it may be true that his hatred made him stronger than he would have been without that hatred , losing his body beneath the chest should considerably cripple his potential in the Force->which means his skill with the saber is also crippled to a degree.

Yeah I think he can get past Bane. But at Revan, I think Malak stands a chance. For one thing, Revan is a complete unknown (almost), and there is nothing that makes me believe that Malak didn't get stronger from their first confrontation. Malak was able to get the star forge running faster than revan had ever thought possible.

Yeah I think he can get past Bane. But at Revan, I think Malak stands a chance. For one thing, Revan is a complete unknown (almost), and there is nothing that makes me believe that Malak didn't get stronger from their first confrontation. Malak was able to get the star forge running faster than revan had ever thought possible.

Yet Revan was still able to beat him, even despite the fact also Malak was also amped by the Starforge.

Malak was able to get the star forge running faster than revan had ever thought possible.

It is made clear that Revan didn't rely on it on purpose, he knew that the Star Forge effectively ended the Rakatan Infinite Empire and knew it would essentially draw from his power detrimentally, this is why Revan left the Republic infrastructure intact.

Malak believed that Revan was a fool for doing this, when it was Malak himself that failed to make the realisation that Revan did.

Malak states that Revan was far stronger than he ever was when he was a sith lord. Malak was being amped by jedi masters, but wasn't revan being amped by bastila's BM? Also, per Drew, the battle was long and arduous, and Revan had a very hard fought victory. the same Revan who, you know, fodderizes darth nyriss a few years later.

Didn't seem to bother Vader. In fact he just became an even more deadly duelist.

That's because when he was maimed ,he was pretty young. 23(?) years of being a sith lord,he should have improved at least a little ,Mustafar or not.

Vader can't be compared to Maul because, after Maul was cut down he went crazy,and wasn't himself.Then suddenly was himself - the missing body parts( healthy living tissue is the one that generates and channels the force) + anger towards Kenobi= Weaker than he was before.Without that anger he would be even weaker.He didn't have time to improve anything singificant.

I personally tend to underestimate Darth Malak. Seldom has a Star Wars hero been so bland and uninteresting. Maul himself was rather bland, in a character sense, but he had the fierce looks, savage fighting style and the double-bladed lightsabre working in his favour. Malak looked like a walking corpse, with a raspy uninteresting voice, clichè villain demeanor, and red pajamas. None of these characteristics are very Sith Lord-ish to me :p

All the same, he did not achieve much himself, personally. His greatest achievement was blasting the bejeezus out of his master (from a safe distance of course) and sending his minions to do this, that and this other. When his own skill was put to the test, the best he could do was best a "Padawan" (Bastila), and be beaten by another "Padawan" (Revan, who had forgotten what he knew of lightsabre combat and had to re-learn stuff), even when he had a crapload of buffs going for him.

I wouldn't see him going too far down that little list, comprised of tried but not expert swordsmen (perhaps Bane PoD could be some work - he did learn from Kaz'im, the top blademaster of Kaan's Brotherhood of Darkness. And Darth Revan would certainly put a stop to Malak's stumbling advance.

And before the rain of Malak defenders get started, I didn't read any of the KotOR comics, and I can't care more about the Alek Squinqwhatever or what he achieved there, the Darth Malak (that is supposed to be the appex of his power) is quite the crap Sith Lord.

i am too lazy right now to read his new biography after the CW release,but is this actually stated?

Because essentially he was more powerful than Kenobi before and he was more powerful after.The reason he got cut down is not because he was weaker.

How do you measure he became stronger than before.,unless it is stated somewhere?

While it may be true that his hatred made him stronger than he would have been without that hatred , losing his body beneath the chest should considerably cripple his potential in the Force->which means his skill with the saber is also crippled to a degree.

Well, firstly, I'd recommend you watch the episodes surrounding Maul, because those are actually pretty good.

To your question, it is not explicitly stated, merely implied. As you said, Maul spent years in madness. Obi-Wan, however, did improve and become a Jedi Master, one that does in fact make the Top 10 Jedi Duelist list, coming in at number 5, and TCW is not that much before his prime. Despite this, Maul easily keeps up, actually has an advantage. And he later keeps up with Darth Sidious in pure lightsaber combat for a good while. All this despite the fact that nobody ever bothered fixing his lightsaber.

Additionally, he's shown using Dun Möch (spelling?) against Obi-Wan, despite not being taught this art by his former master (check the Darth Plagueis book for reference). And in terms of Force usage, he uses Force Choke several times and he manages to telekinetically crash a shuttle. Of course, since we never saw what Maul was capable of before Naboo, these feats are sort of hard to place, but seem like improvement at first glance.

Now, I'm not sure about the lore in this regard, but since Maul's artificial legs are actually Dathomirian witchcraft (I was waiting for the day to use that word in a Star Wars forum :D), it might be possible that they allow him to draw on the Force a little better than a normal prothesis.

I should probably get into the habit of posting this when I make that statement. Taken from Wookieepedia:

As to how Maul survived, Jedi Master Salmara believed that it was Maul's hatred of Obi-Wan Kenobi that kept him alive, making him a far more powerful and dangerous adversary than he was before.

This is of course a character statement, but the intentions of the writers are clear. Obviously what they are implying is that Maul's ability to wield the Force has increased - which would explain his exceptional feats in the series.

If Revan doesn't smack Malak down (yet again) then Qui-Gon will.

Are we basing this off Force or dueling or what?

'Cause Force-wise, Malak will be b*tch-slapped through the floor of the Leviathan by Revan.

Dueling-wise, Malak will end up the same way by Jinn's hand.

Me might defeat PoD Bane but Darth Revan has already proved he can take Malak down, hence becoming Darth Revan's facial surgery subject.

Perhaps Malak has grown in power, but I very much doubt that he became more powerful than Darth Revan.

By Darth Revan, he means Pre-KOTOR 1 Revan right ? If so, Malak has a line in KOTOR, when you encounter him on the Leviathan, where he states tou zhat you are stronger then you were (Atleast, I think he does, it's been a while), and you still can't beat him at that point, so KOTOR Malak may in fact be stronger then pre KOTOR Revan.