The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is still going... and, and, someone blamed the engine for the early patch! Classic. LOL! Funny as hell especially if it was sarcasm.

So... shall we keep this thread going?

You know, I'm very unhappy with the performance of my legs. I'm not as fast as I should be and from time to time I get sluggish even tired if I am on my feet too long. So... I think... I'm going to switch them.

This is still going... and, and, someone blamed the engine for the early patch! Classic. LOL! Funny as hell especially if it was sarcasm.

So... shall we keep this thread going?

You know, I'm very unhappy with the performance of my legs. I'm not as fast as I should be and from time to time I get sluggish even tired if I am on my feet too long. So... I think... I'm going to switch them.

Rollerblades. At least until you have to stop on a dime.

You took him seriously?

I replied to chuixupu, who I always take seriously. ;)

The OP.. let's see.. yeah.. I can see how he would seriously state that. How so?..... you ask?

Well I'm glad you asked.... follow along with me....

1) OP thinks a bunch of interns could slide out the old engine and slide in a new engine and presto!!! Nirvana!

2) Some intern somewhere in the server prep team chewed through their leash and got a hold of the patch pack....and.... ACTUALLY slid out the current patch set and slid in a new patch set and presto! Greek tragedy!

The real question here is when will the OP come back and use the patch replace error as proof that doing so with the engine = equally simple. Ah.. but the question will be.... will it be Nirvana or Greek Tragedy?

whatever changes they made were not compatible with the engine

seriously guys it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this whole game is running on its last breath.

I am betting we get a full wipe sometime in January, I wonder how many of you will agree that switching the engine is the best course of action at that time.

seriously guys it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out this whole game is running on its last breath.

I am betting we get a full wipe sometime in January, I wonder how many of you will agree that switching the engine is the best course of action at that time.

1. its not running on its last breath. Not by a long shot. There are many other MMO's out there with less people than this game that survive.

2. Replacing the engine will take away from them adding additional content which would cause the game to shutdown because people will get bored.

Now, since you continue to not be able to grasp how difficult replacing the engine in this game would be, let me explain it other terms:

You have a house. This house has centeral air, power cabels, ethernet cables, all your furniture, the floors, walls, foundation, etc.

You no longer like the city you live in so you want to move somewhere else but you like your house.

You decide that you want to keep all the power cabels (in the wall), ethernet cabels, central air system, and furniture. You want to take all of that, move to a new place and build the house exactly as it is now.

This house will have new walls, floors, and foundations.

Those walls, floors, and foundations are like the engine. Think about how much work would be involved with that, you would need to rip all the cabels out of the wall, and plan the new house so eveerything goes in the same place but what its going in is different.

Now Imagine that you still want to live in the old house while the new one is being built and you are building an addition to the old house that you expect to be there when the new house is done. Pretty impossible right?

Now this is vastly over simplifying things because with good planning the walls, floors, and foundation could be the same. But they could be a different material.

actually its pretty easy you fish the cables through the walls and have the workers put the furniture where you want it..as for the AC I have personally slid a 3ton unit in a space made for a 2.5 ton.. as long as you have a certified HVAC person with you it shouldn't be a problem.

does it require man hours ? yes

can EA afford an engine swap? yes

should EA not continue outsourcing the development of this game? yes

are there plenty of young programmers looking for work? yes

LOL, I want what your on, because you said that like you actually believe it.

Please share whatever it is your on.

I'll happily take that bet.

actually its pretty easy you fish the cables through the walls and have the workers put the furniture where you want it..as for the AC I have personally slid a 3ton unit in a space made for a 2.5 ton.. as long as you have a certified HVAC person with you it shouldn't be a problem.

does it require man hours ? yes

can EA afford an engine swap? yes

should EA not continue outsourcing the development of this game? yes

are there plenty of young programmers looking for work? yes

Interns people. Interns. All EA needs to do is hire some young programmers and interns for 7.75/hr and the entire engine will be replaced by a shiny new engine.

I drove by the EA offices yesterday and interns were just lined up around the block waiting to get in. I even heard one of them say "I bet I could fix that engine. Its just like building a new house and I helped my Uncle install a dryer last year. I got this."

So you want a prettier SWTOR? Just run the game on highest settings, the CRYGINE 3 would also cost a very pretty penny to obtain. I honestly don't see what a better graphics engine would accomplish, other than x amount of people leaving the game as they cannot run it. But a tweaked system for some other things I'd support, like the CM or inbox and pvp.

So you want a prettier SWTOR? Just run the game on highest settings, the CRYGINE 3 would also cost a very pretty penny to obtain. I honestly don't see what a better graphics engine would accomplish, other than x amount of people leaving the game as they cannot run it. But a tweaked system for some other things I'd support, like the CM or inbox and pvp.

It is not about a prettier game, in fact the game looks quite beautiful in some places.

If you do not understand the problems with the engine, let me make a short list of stuff we can't do because of engine:

1. sit in chairs (apparently too hard to code in.. )

2. AI just stands there for the most part.. the world is lifeless and will remain so

3. Changes to the engine require server wipes.. (If you were in beta you'd know this)

4. If you can't update the engine efficiently, there will come that one "bug" that is game-breaking and needs to be addressed.. then what?

5. It can't handle more than 16 players (some say 8) on screen at once

6. The engine is incapable of day and night cycles in its current state (huge immersion breaker)

7. Chat bubbles people want? I could care less but the engine can't do them

8. Those hood toggles people been asking for? well this engine can't do that either

9. You say you wan't to customize your ship? sorry this engine can't handle that either

10. Reserved

Need coffee now

but I leave you with this:

quote from Walter Mcdaniel:

http://technorati.com/entertainment/gaming/article/how-and-why-star-wars-the1/

" Planning to fail and failing to plan

Greg Zeschuk is a man who has done some decent games, but they have been hit-or-miss. After the dreadful failure of Warhammer Online he moved on to other games, including The Old Republic. Gabe Amatangelo, who also worked on Warhammer Online, is in charge of PvP. So from the start we have some people who failed at their last MMO making a new one. This leads to their next problem. "

It is not about a prettier game, in fact the game looks quite beautiful in some places.

If you do not understand the problems with the engine, let me make a short list of stuff we can't do because of engine:

Already done, ever visit your ship? It's a time consuming waste of resources to replace every chair with one that can be sat in. They've said so themselves that they only got it working right before launch and didn't bother fixing the rest. But let's blame that on the engine.

2. AI just stands there for the most part.. the world is lifeless and will remain so

Aside from the enemies that do move. But let's blame that on the engine.

3. Changes to the engine require server wipes.. (If you were in beta you'd know this)

Or they wiped characters to make you restart. All betas have constant wipes. But let's blame that on the engine.

4. If you can't update the engine efficiently, there will come that one "bug" that is game-breaking and needs to be addressed.. then what?

Bugs are caused by...coding mistakes. But let's blame that on the engine.

This may be the only one that you actually could blame on the engine.

6. The engine is incapable of day and night cycles in its current state (huge immersion breaker)

Artistic direction. But let's blame that on the engine.

Their original implementation was terrible, they've said so themselves. But then again, so was their nameplate implementation but that's been improved to (mostly) work fine. But let's blame that on the engine.

8. Those hood toggles people been asking for? well this engine can't do that either

They never designed the hooded pieces to have both a hood up and hood down version, which would be required for a toggle to be possible. But let's blame that on the engine.

9. You say you wan't to customize your ship? sorry this engine can't handle that either

Remains unimplemented. Main reason for not being able to replace ships is how the companion conversations were designed on the ship. But let's blame that on the engine.

10. Reserved

Likely some more BS that has nothing to do with the engine, but is blamed on the engine regardless.

Need coffee now

but I leave you with this:

quote from Walter Mcdaniel:

http://technorati.com/entertainment/gaming/article/how-and-why-star-wars-the1/

" Planning to fail and failing to plan

Greg Zeschuk is a man who has done some decent games, but they have been hit-or-miss. After the dreadful failure of Warhammer Online he moved on to other games, including The Old Republic. Gabe Amatangelo, who also worked on Warhammer Online, is in charge of PvP. So from the start we have some people who failed at their last MMO making a new one. This leads to their next problem. "

Responses in red.

Summary: 1/9

Great news! They replaced the engine in patch 2.4! I guess they saw this post, hired an intern, and he just copy/pasted the code over for them. Turns out it was easy-peasy, just like you said.

Patch Notes:

... bunch of irrelevant content updates and bug fixes ...

• The game engine has been completely updated with a new version copy/pasted by intern JoJo.

... even more irrelevant content updates and bug fixes ...

So now we can be happy and let this topic die.

Right?

Please? :confused:

Responses in red.

Already done, ever visit your ship? It's a time consuming waste of resources to replace every chair with one that can be sat in. They've said so themselves that they only got it working right before launch and didn't bother fixing the rest. But let's blame that on the engine.

That is a copout and you know it.. so what every chair in the game universe will be blue if they did it? sounds like an engine problem to me.

Aside from the enemies that do move. But let's blame that on the engine.

Pathing is not the same as intelligent AI, in fact no mob paths for more than a few meters.. name one example of one that does?

Or they wiped characters to make you restart. All betas have constant wipes. But let's blame that on the engine.

Really, because as I remember it the whole "server wipe" thing kept most people from testing higher end content.. and it shows note that after Taris/NS the game looks and feels completely different. Few people even got to corellia!

Bugs are caused by...coding mistakes. But let's blame that on the engine.

So coding mistakes can't be fixed.. oh yeah thats right they can't be fixed on this crap engine only

This may be the only one that you actually could blame on the engine.

Artistic direction. But let's blame that on the engine.

really because as I see it the engine simply can't handle doing different sets of day/night cycles.. they can do 1 but not for each planet.. hence no day and night cycle the engine only supports 1 setting.

Their original implementation was terrible, they've said so themselves. But then again, so was their nameplate implementation but that's been improved to (mostly) work fine. But let's blame that on the engine.

Again, if the engine was not garbage it would be as easy as adding a script

They never designed the hooded pieces to have both a hood up and hood down version, which would be required for a toggle to be possible. But let's blame that on the engine.

They can't design them.. or they would have already and stuck them on the cartel market. Its obvious people will buy them since they have been asking for that one feature since launch. So your basically telling me EA doesn't want money?

Remains unimplemented. Main reason for not being able to replace ships is how the companion conversations were designed on the ship. But let's blame that on the engine.

Again would not be so difficult running on another engine.. i mean seriously a small story quest is impeding a huge part of gameplay if what you say is true. Think about it.. I can't personalize my ship because companion convos will be messed up? Sounds like engine trouble

10. Reserved

Likely some more BS that has nothing to do with the engine, but is blamed on the engine regardless.

Summary: 1/9

There you go haus.. I don't see how you can be straight faced while defending this game.

Your either a troll or working for EA

There you go haus.. I don't see how you can be straight faced while defending this game.

You really don't understand how any of this works do you?

No one is replacing the engine because replacing the engine isn't a solution. Its not even feasible. Its not on the decision matrix.

Improving the current setup is a very viable option but replacing it with a new engine is not an option.

There are no words to convey the level of... Your stupidity never ceases to amaze. Clearly logic holds no sway in your mind. I will simply end with congratulations.

*slow clap*