Would you accept no voiceovers if it meant more frequent content?

The_Grand_Nagus

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side-note, in the offline game "Drakensang", there were dialog lines for NPCs - but only the first sentence was actually spoken.

People regarded this very often as a bug. They were so much used to full voiceovers that they couldn't imagine a mixture between unspoken text and one spoken sntence.

Drakensang 2 was fully voiced - and that drove its development costs into new hights. The game never sold thanks to Dragon Age, and its developer vanished.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

There is a MASSIVE amount of VO that exists for this game (speculative naturally). If one assumes that, one can also assume it is likely that that large amount of VO can be reused in some cases, and is certainly reused in the game quite often...especially with player responses.

By combining a bit of creative VO use (use of mostly aliens, or reuse of some generic statements) with text one could create a system that would generate random quests for folks.

Just my slant.

New content is frequent enough, even with voice-over, and it's part of the immersion (ok dailies don't have voice over but would listen to the same dialogues every day ?), so a big big NO !

Every six months for a handful of dalies might be enough for you but not the rest of us. Considering most ppl skip the voiceovers anyway its just stupid to waste resoruces on it

Look at makeb it had no voiceovers and it still took them forever to put out that half expansion

Every six months for a handful of dalies might be enough for you but not the rest of us. Considering most ppl skip the voiceovers anyway its just stupid to waste resoruces on it

Look at makeb it had no voiceovers and it still took them forever to put out that half expansion

Damn dude, "we" really need to keep an eye on you. Again, here you are speaking for the "rest of us." Well, you don't.

And "most" people don't skip the voiceovers first while they are enjoying the story. And most of us don't think it is a stupid waste of resources. And... I'm getting tired of cleaning up after you.

Hmm... sorry. Don't mean to troll you from other threads, but you really require a response sometimes, even if it is the same response given to you elsewhere.

Damn dude, "we" really need to keep an eye on you. Again, here you are speaking for the "rest of us." Well, you don't.

And "most" people don't skip the voiceovers first while they are enjoying the story. And most of us don't think it is a stupid waste of resources. And... I'm getting tired of cleaning up after you..

You just did the exact same thing you accused him of. In correcting his speaking for other people, you did the same.

You just did the exact same thing you accused him of. In correcting his speaking for other people, you did the same.

Lol! I was being sarcastic and ironic. That is why I put the words in quotes.... Next time, I will use little symbols and parentheses calling it out so you can get it..

As in fully voiced class content. It did not. Acknowledgement voices is hardly a voiceover. Either way 10 text quests are better than two voiced ones

Except there's absolutely no reason to think voiceovers have that kind of effect on content output, especially as they can be recorded way ahead of time (like with Makeb).

I'm still baffled as to why people think getting rid of voiceovers will somehow dramatically increase the amount of content TOR gets.

Except there's absolutely no reason to think voiceovers have that kind of effect on content output, especially as they can be recorded way ahead of time (like with Makeb).

I'm still baffled as to why people think getting rid of voiceovers will somehow dramatically increase the amount of content TOR gets.

Its all about money, you see. Or to put it another way, "budget". Hypothetically speaking, lets say there are currently 20 people who actually make mission content. Those 20 people can only make content at a certain rate, regardless of whether the mission dialog is voiced or not. But if you took all the money that is allocated in the budget for voice talent and used it to hire additional content programmers, then that would increase the rate at which the content can be made, since you would actually have more bodies in chairs doing the work.

Except - as people have quoted in this very topic - Bioware specifically stated that voice acting is not the financial burden people think it is.

Bioware has every interest in spacing out content because there's a limit to how quickly they can program and implement it, and the MMO model is based around 'stringing content out' as long as possible (hence why you get SM/HM and only later NiM ops, for example). Getting rid of voice acting won't make that faster, it'll just make the experience a lot duller.

Except - as people have quoted in this very topic - Bioware specifically stated that voice acting is not the financial burden people think it is.

No offense, but unless people have a link to the statement made by Bioware, it doesnt really mean anything. Now if Bioware did in fact say this, then thats well and good. But if you are going to claim that someone said something, its best to show where and what was actually said.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

As for "showing" things, why not demonstrate how voice acting is the thing that's "holding back" content, and not things like programming, writing, resources spent on projects like the SSSP, etc. Or, like I said, the fact that Bioware has every reason to carefully pace content given the way people seem to act in current MMOs.

This entire topic and question is a false dilemma. You've presented no concrete reasons to believe that voice acting has any kind of substantive effect on content release timing.

Edited by Lesaberisa

The 'amount' in that PC gamer article you briefly posted (before deleting) refers to all the voice acting that was included not only in the vanilla 1-50 game but also content that came afterwards (Makeb, for example, contains already-recorded dialogue, which is how characters like Tanno Vik have voice acting despite (unfortunately, RIP) his voice actor passing away in 2012). Edited by Lesaberisa

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

As for "showing" things, why not demonstrate how voice acting is the thing that's "holding back" content, and not things like programming, writing, resources spent on projects like the SSSP, etc. Or, like I said, the fact that Bioware has every reason to carefully pace content given the way people seem to act in current MMOs.

This entire topic and question is a false dilemma. You've presented no concrete reasons to believe that voice acting has any kind of substantive effect on content release timing.

Well stated. Having leveled a Jugg, Marauder, BH, Sentinel & Guardian to 55, I have a difficult time questing in any game that does NOT have a voice acted / player quest decision system. Which is all other MMOs that I have played. This game has completely changed my expectations for PvE now. Completely. Edited by GalacticKegger

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.