How does the "player kill" system work?

Srengam

Its an idiotic system that doesn't reflect reality in any way.

Your absolutely right.

What a rubbish system.

It would make more sense to be whoever done the biggest percentage of damage on somebody who is killed, or something.

Easy enough. If you dmg an enemy player and he dies before he "can" heal up to full health, you get a kill.

I am not sure of the time from which you last damaged them to the time they die, but I do know that even if you give minimum dmg to a player and they die within that time, you are awarded a kill.

Healing? If a player heals friendly players that get a kill, he is also awarded a kill. I am not sure on whether or not the player being healed needs to be targeted though as he gets the kill for you to get awarded a kill. In no way does the amount of healing done throughout the match considered when being awarded a kill. So even a small amount of healing on your friendlies will award you kills provided that they are being awarded kills as well.

Hope this helps you understand how kills are awarded. Baffled me for a while too until I played a tank and healer. Then i got all the answers by simply figuring it out and experiencing it.

Also, there is 4 types of means of getting kills. This is something that most people miss on when determining who to vote for at the end of a match.

Tank. Look for protection pts. The higher the # usually corresponds to how well they know how to play their tank. Some people really know how to play their tank well and will go into pvp with another that knows how to utilize their abilities to make a hell of a team. They usually don't get solo kills and are often in the enemies face if played correctly....

Healers. Look for healing pts. The higher the # usually corresponds to how ell they know how to play their healer, if the team protects them well, and who they decide to heal. They are often hiding behind friendlies or hiding from enemy view. "Assassin's Top Wanted List"

Dps (type 1). The higher the # in dmg and kills correspond best to how well they know how to play their dps. Aoe dps or more general area of damage style dps's will usually get kills easier. They don't give a large amount of damage, but will dmg multiple enemies. They don't often get head to head kills.

Dps (type 2). The higher # in the medals category usually corresponds to how well they know how to play these style dps. Most notable classes are gunslinger/sniper and assassin/shadow provided they are using the tree only they can have.... You usually won't see high numbers of anything at the end of a battle (well, except for deaths if they don't know what they are doing). These classes are best for solo kills, control, and single target massive dmg.

Of course there is always the off battles where none of what I mentioned above will be true. If your team is doing really great, you will notice that your numbers may go well over and beyond what you normally get in other categories. If your team is doing really poor, you will notice your numbers (and frustration) plummet drastically. But you should have very close numbers to what I mentioned above if the battles are close and exciting....

Yeah, I blab too much. lol. anyway, maybe this helps you to understand more about pvp....

Its an idiotic system that doesn't reflect reality in any way.

Actually, i think its brilliant. how many other games encourage you to continue pvp in such a way? For the basic or low ended pvp player, this system actually encourages them to continue playing pvp. You may not care because you may be a God at pvp and have absolutely no sense to how those who aren't about how they might feel.....

Also, ask yourself this. If your kill/death ratio was absolutely horrible after 3 months of playing pvp, would you continue or find another game instead?

This system that they run is much more encouraging to everyone. Most other pvp games don't have that high of a population or don't last very long due to discouragement. Would you purposefully join up with someone that doesn't have a decent k/d ratio? Too many games reveal that info. And too many games don't change it. And too many don't have any encouragement about keeping their players by revealing "true" stats.

*** I am speaking in general about pvp games. Not just mmo's, but fps, turn based, real time, etc....

The only thing I think they did wrong was having pvp gear available at the wrong level in regards to tiers in pvp. Or making the tiers wrong. A lvl 30 can only get crystals with expertise. A level 50 can get clothes and armor with expertise. Kind of a big thing there even with the boosts..... But meh, I am rambling now....

Actually, i think its brilliant. how many other games encourage you to continue pvp in such a way? For the basic or low ended pvp player, this system actually encourages them to continue playing pvp. You may not care because you may be a God at pvp and have absolutely no sense to how those who aren't about how they might feel.....

Also, ask yourself this. If your kill/death ratio was absolutely horrible after 3 months of playing pvp, would you continue or find another game instead?

This system that they run is much more encouraging to everyone. Most other pvp games don't have that high of a population or don't last very long due to discouragement. Would you purposefully join up with someone that doesn't have a decent k/d ratio? Too many games reveal that info. And too many games don't change it. And too many don't have any encouragement about keeping their players by revealing "true" stats.

*** I am speaking in general about pvp games. Not just mmo's, but fps, turn based, real time, etc....

The only thing I think they did wrong was having pvp gear available at the wrong level in regards to tiers in pvp. Or making the tiers wrong. A lvl 30 can only get crystals with expertise. A level 50 can get clothes and armor with expertise. Kind of a big thing there even with the boosts..... But meh, I am rambling now....

The system is bad... It encourages the few remaining pyro/madness to DoT spam, and it certainly doesn't help that it encourages agents to run around lobbing poisenous grenades...

SWTOR's scoreboard is great. Try hovering your mouse over "kills" some time.

You can see a lot of detail in swtor scoreboards. You can tell who did a lot of splash damage and who actually focus fired by just glancing at a few numbers.

Actually, the swtor scoreboard tooltips (damage taken, dps, killing blows) can pretty much lay out exactly what went right or wrong in most warzones. Often times in reviewing a curbstomp you can tell it was because the stomper team's healer wasn't getting hit by stompee team's dps.

Or that 1.5 mil damage madness sorc was just corner hugging and dot spamming instead of using his overload to push enemies back while his team caps.

Or the assassin that does 200k damage, 0 protection, took 60k damage and got 14 killing blows was just jumping in fights that were already won, and he is a dead spot on your team in the future.

Just some examples of how great our scoreboards are.

The system is bad... It encourages the few remaining pyro/madness to DoT spam, and it certainly doesn't help that it encourages agents to run around lobbing poisenous grenades...

its not bad , its an MMO and MMO's require team effort too win games and fights

Lmao Lets lie and give everyone kills because everyone is a unique and special butterfly and participation in warzones is hard enough as it is.

Kills in swtor = meaningless fantasy numbers designed to pander to bads.

They matter in hypergate and voidstar stalemates!

Lmao Lets lie and give everyone kills because everyone is a unique and special butterfly and participation in warzones is hard enough as it is.

Stop being so butthurt about the usage of a word.

Especially since that word is actually used correctly.

When more then one person attack and "KILL" you, it means you got "KILLED" by multiple person and not just one person whoever shot you last did the "KILLING BLOW".

Dps (type 2). The higher # in the medals category usually corresponds to how well they know how to play these style dps. Most notable classes are gunslinger/sniper and assassin/shadow provided they are using the tree only they can have.... You usually won't see high numbers of anything at the end of a battle (well, except for deaths if they don't know what they are doing). These classes are best for solo kills, control, and single target massive dmg.

Actually your post was quite nice. I am going to bookmark this paragraph as well and slam it in face to all the smashers who talk like getting high medals is irrelevant and not getting 1M damage equals to poor player.

Actually your post was quite nice. I am going to bookmark this paragraph as well and slam it in face to all the smashers who talk like getting high medals is irrelevant and not getting 1M damage equals to poor player.

Just keep in mind that I am viewing this as average sort of.... I played all types of dps and other roles and this is what I have learned when I do average results.... Most of the time with dps toons, i average right in the area of between 2-5th place. There are battles that I have done when i am in first place with 17+ medals too.

So far, my sorcerer was what I was best at and tank is what I was worst at.

Its what you are best at that matters most. Those people that complain about smash, flashbangs, invisibility, rage, etc... from various classes usually are the ones that don't strategize or go loner when battling and don't spend much time wondering why they got killed quickly.....

Always one idiot that thinks they offer some intelligence to a discussion. ^^^^^^