Dual spec already ?

Hexedpk

We know they're lazy when we talk about to improve QOL(quality of life).

If they would do something to memorize our skill bar, would spend a lot of time and money to implement it, you know that Bioware and EA does't like to spend money with QOL.

So, a simple dual spec would be just one more tab at skill tree, only one can be active, each tab has 1 spec of your choice. It would be AMAZING.

I know that would be very nice to memorize the skill bar but would be very complex to implement. They would break something in the game trying to apply it.

I think dual spec and saving the quickbar layout is basically the same thing....the idea is to save an alternate spec setup to make swapping easy.

Well, except "dual" implies "two specs". People are thinking of WoW where you can only save 2 pre-selected specs at one time. We actually have it better to some degree, because if we want to spec a third time, we don't have to go back to the trainer. I respecced 5 times in TFB tonight on my sniper. With dual spec that wouldn't be possible.

But yes, being able to use the UI save button to include my abilities would be nice.

Well, except "dual" implies "two specs". People are thinking of WoW where you can only save 2 pre-selected specs at one time. We actually have it better to some degree, because if we want to spec a third time, we don't have to go back to the trainer. I respecced 5 times in TFB tonight on my sniper. With dual spec that wouldn't be possible.

But yes, being able to use the UI save button to include my abilities would be nice.

Sure it would. It all depends on how it's set up.

Dual spec can just be two setups saved. You don't have to choose either if you don't want to, if that is how the feature is set up....you simply choose to have your points refunded and apply them yourself.

In other words there is not reason why both can not exist. Dual spec can simply be a saving of two different setups.

I know world of warcraft did a lot of things that were un-rpg like dual spec or even on the fly respeccing whenever you like with that awful diablo3 system.

playing an rpg, impersonating a role is a decision. in daoc you had to kill the dragon with 200 other people and 3 respecs dropped. if it were for me I'd rather have it that way (or not at all), rather than spec this and 5 minutes later that.

go back to world of warcraft if you dont like it

Way to be constructive, relevant and classy.

I know world of warcraft did a lot of things that were un-rpg like dual spec or even on the fly respeccing whenever you like with that awful diablo3 system.

playing an rpg, impersonating a role is a decision. in daoc you had to kill the dragon with 200 other people and 3 respecs dropped. if it were for me I'd rather have it that way (or not at all), rather than spec this and 5 minutes later that.

With the "RPG" logic we can go back to grave death penalties (or even permadeath a la good-old tabletop/muds).

AC is the impersonating the role decision. Dual/multispecs are a gigantic quality of life improvement.

Edited by Helig

With the "RPG" logic we can go back to grave death penalties

I think then it won't surprise you that I am also for the return of harsher death penalties.

(because they only come into effect when your playing dumb, which won't bother me that much)

I think then it won't surprise you that I am also for the return of harsher death penalties.

(because they only come into effect when your playing dumb, which won't bother me that much)

It's not about playing dumb or smart - it's about the dynamics of modern MMOs. Actual raids become less forgiving per individual player, players are encouraged to try them over and over again without rooster-blocking death penalties. Same with PvP.

Dual/multispecs increase the character's functionality, allowing the player to access more content with greater ease.

After all, it's the content that needs to be challenging - overcoming additional obstacles has little to do with the quality of the players themselves. It's just inconvenience that tests dedication/patience, and nothing more.

As for immersion, it's make-believe. A state of mind that you enter, or exit - at your own convenience. It should not be forced on anybody.

Yeah, because that sure sounds like 'fun'. I'm pretty sure some of the 'golden oldies' here are forgetting that anything below 55 even exists. So, yeah, y'know. Perspective?

I just wish people would stop calling it dual spec.

what we have right now is far better. far more flexible.

yes, saving presets would be fantastic and one click gear switching would be wonderful.

but I'm willing to wait for that, considering current system where i can already switch specs on a fly with FAR more flexibility than "dual spec" implies.

I don't want just 2 presets. if they are going to implement presets, I'd rather they do it in similar fashion to UI presets we can currently save and load at will.

I think dual spec and saving the quickbar layout is basically the same thing....the idea is to save an alternate spec setup to make swapping easy.

This is too hard for EAW to code. Might take 5 to 10 years of R&D. Easier to make CM stuff.

Sure, I also would like to have more, but I would be fine if we get two for starters.

why the arbitrary limit of 2?

because it IS arbitrary.

because its WoW comparisons again, using WoW terms that don't even fit this game we have, given existance field respec and how it works.

saving 2 presets is no different from saving 4 presets, or 10 presets, especially if its done client side, ala UI presets.

why the arbitrary limit of 2?

because it IS arbitrary.

because its WoW comparisons again, using WoW terms that don't even fit this game we have, given existance field respec and how it works.

saving 2 presets is no different from saving 4 presets, or 10 presets, especially if its done client side, ala UI presets.

No, it has nothing to do with WoW. Actually I left WoW before they implemented that. I like how RIFT has done it (which was more than just two). And like I said, I would be happy with more, but BioWare has to start somewhere, so I would be fine if they just do two to get it into the game already! They can always add later mare (from what I heard, even WoW is thinking or already planing to add more).

No, it has nothing to do with WoW. Actually I left WoW before they implemented that. I like how RIFT has done it (which was more than just two). And like I said, I would be happy with more, but BioWare has to start somewhere, so I would be fine if they just do two to get it into the game already! They can always add later mare (from what I heard, even WoW is thinking or already planing to add more).

dual spec is a WoW term.

pretty sure rift is not calling it dual spec.

from what my friend tells me - rift system is quite nice... not exactly fitting to this game either due to differences in rift Soul system and TOR's skill trees.

the point is... we have field respec. we have an opportunity to have multiple specs already. so why would we ask for just two? why the arbitrary number? why not just ask for ability to save spec/action bar/armor presets? without limiting it to "dual"

no, I actually don't want a dual spec as a starting point. I want multiple presets. anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Lack of dual spec is pretty much the only reason I don't PvP.

Committing to a spec prompts the player to make a choice. As a general rule, choices are good in RPGs, in my opinion. However in this case, since I prefer to heal in PvP and dps in PvE, the particular choice I'm being asked to make is between those two game modes. So I'm prompted to choose the former and put the latter out of my mind for the part. I do have the field respec, but allocating all the points and screwing around with my skillbars as a regular matter of course is annoying. It's the sort of thing I'm only willing to do once in a while, as when experimenting with a new spec or tweaking an old one.

Edited by Laiov