Today's Maintenance and In-Game Cartel Coin Purchasing

EricMusco

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$15 a month normal sub ....so people are really seeking that .50 cents huh.

Really interesting to see the different attitudes in game forums...especially those that get so outraged so fast. Btw yes its just a game....even if you pay for it....as I do too.

I guess people don't read eulas or tos either uptime is never guaranteed in online games. But if bioware wants to placate people the cartel coins is best way...besides like I said one day sub refund is only 50 cents of value.

I find it disgusting you guys don't get any recompense for lost play time

We're used to it :(

It's only bad if you add it up. This will be our 30th patch this year, no? At 50c per day, that's $15 of paid game time Australians have lost this year to patch days. In reality, having a day off isn't so bad, but having two days in a row off is rather annoying.

I don't raid in this game though - the people I really feel for are the APAC raiding guilds that lose an entire week of progression because the patch is suddenly scheduled for their Ops night. Raids are hard to coordinate - getting that many people online at the same time for sufficient hours takes planning and you only need one key member to be missing to have issues finding a suitable replacement when you're talking offpeak time raids, especially if you're doing NiM content.

Actually, if you are still reading the thread, I have a question.

It seems some folks were having problems with cards they have used in the past to buy coins, as only the most recent would work. Are you going to allow us to choose which card we can use for in game features in some way?

If it's not possible, it's not possible of course. But it's kind of a bummer to have to buy more coins from the website just so you can buy them in game.

We're used to it :(

It's only bad if you add it up. This will be our 30th patch this year, no? At 50c per day, that's $15 of paid game time Australians have lost this year to patch days. In reality, having a day off isn't so bad, but having two days in a row off is rather annoying.

I don't raid in this game though - the people I really feel for are the APAC raiding guilds that lose an entire week of progression because the patch is suddenly scheduled for their Ops night. Raids are hard to coordinate - getting that many people online at the same time for sufficient hours takes planning and you only need one key member to be missing to have issues finding a suitable replacement when you're talking offpeak time raids, especially if you're doing NiM content.

So much this.

Our Prog Ops night is Thursday, we made it that day because they kept switching maintenance to Wednesday, but now there's another emergency patch taking tonight's Ops off the table. To say that this is frustrating is a complete understatement.

At most I could have posted that we were looking into various issues with the in-game purchasing, but I try not to post too much unless I have details to share. Typically vague answers aren't received too well as they aren't very good answers.

-eric

You have to realize that vague answers are better than no answers.

The lack of information given only made things worse. There are people that can't be pleased that's true, but staying silent just adds the people that can be understanding if they are told anything.

Don't know who is to blame, but I am thinking it's not the devs. The devs are getting blame however, even though it's probably someone above them telling it has to be patched and to cut down on the testing. Some idiot that doesn't deserve his position because he can't even grasp the concept of losing more money by cutting costs.

Would be nice to have a place to put a constructive message to the one to blame in the hope to make them see the light, but I understand this won't happen because too much of the community isn't any better than him or her and would just start flaming.

Anyway, staying quiet helped feed paranoia, I have seen it in guild members yesterday, and these were the more understanding people that are very much able to deal with information given. And just imagine what happens when you take the site down while people are looking for answers...

There's also no clear "go here or there for information", you shouldn't count on a third party site either. Wouldn't hurt to make a (temporary) news item where you direct to one or two threads where people can keep an eye on rather than have people make/find a thread, keep an eye on that and not realize twenty other threads popped up since, and one of those getting attention if those people are lucky.

Umm someone needs to hook me up with my free taun taun. Wifes account to, since this was her day off. And yea...

with the amount of money I dump into this game, go check Eric....We ll be expecting our accounts to get some codes.

thanks

DOOOOOooooooosH bag

Right, so I was out for much of yesterday evening (UK) and didn't log back in until 10:30pm.

I hadn't read the forums prior to this, so seeing the option to purchase Cartel Coins in-game and knowing that the first purchase was 50% off I attempted to do so.

Clicked "Buy Coins" and the in-game window popped up. the price of £12 was under the 5500 coins which I selected and I was asked if I wished to use the card ending xxxx - which I said yes.

I got a congratulations and a few seconds later 5500 coins were added to my account.

So question 1. Can somebody at BW confirm that I am definitely only going to be charged £12 for these 5500 coins?

Didn't want to pay full price, so I'd rather lose the coins back for a refund than pay full price.

Question 2 - How the hell should anyone be able to attempt to and apparently successfully use a system that was stripped out of the game?

You say in "very, very rare instances" - it should be "in no instances" - it should either be available to all or available to none.

I'm one of those players. Do you know if we will have a refund or anything to compensate?

Thanks a lot for explaining the issues to us eric, hope it will be fixed soon.

:jawa_wink:

A refund? Lol holy crap people are so unforgiving and selfish these days when I read some of these replies . Yes some pay for the game , your refund for one day is about fifty cents. Its a game folks no matter what argument you make in your blind self indulgent rage its just a game. If we were talking multiday outages then that's different. Also I can tell many on these forums don't have clue one how it is to work in IT. We mock what we don't understand...remember that.

Hi Eric, thanks for the information you provided us. Much appreciated. Prolonged downtime can always happen, thats bad, but i undestand it. As others said, you can implement a patch +10 times on a test environment without a single glitch, but as soon you implement it on the live environment, things go wrong. As a tester at a big telco provider, this is very familiar to me^^

So, that isn't a big deal for me. Following thing makes me upset:

Hi Eric,

... I saw there is a 100+ page thread where you are giving tauntaun fawns out-so obviously you had the ability to communicate with us. ...

-Q

Who got them? Why not all players??

Problem is , downtime was from 12:00 - 22:00h during prime time in Europe (central european time - cet).

I understand reason for downtime but I really hope you give something to European players , US players may not be affected much but EU lost the whole day, basically one day of sub time.

Not only we European players deserve these tauntaun fawns or whatever, also the Astralian and APAC players would be glad to receive them. I don't want a free sub day, rather something useful, like account wide storage expansion (sorry, i don't know the exact name of it in english).

As it is now, i (and maybe many more players) have the feeling, European, Astralian, and APAC players are just worth nothing for EA. And THAT is extremly bad PR for the Game.

Just to make it clear, i'm not dissapointed about BW. I guess they to their best effort with a down scaled dev-team. I'm dissapointed about EA!

best regards, mydocs

PS: as you maybe remarked, english is not my native language, so if somrthing isn't understandable please tell me :-)

Edited by mydocs

Problem is , downtime was from 12:00 - 22:00h during prime time in Europe (central european time - cet).

I understand reason for downtime but I really hope you give something to European players , US players may not be affected much but EU lost the whole day, basically one day of sub time.

You're kidding, right? APAC players lose a night of prime time EVERY SINGLE patch. And you want compensation because for once the maintenance strayed into your play time?

The last thing of note that I have is that in very, very rare circumstances, some of you may actually still be able to use the in-game Cartel Coin purchase feature. If the feature is working, it will be fully disabled for you as well after our maintenance tomorrow. If you happen to be one of those players who discovered this and used it, don’t worry. It shouldn't mess anything up.

I'm still a little confused. Is the In-game CC purchase still offline? I can use it in game and everything up to the point of purchase. I haven't actually bought any yet cause i don't want to pay but not get coins or vise-versa. Can someone tell me if its safe to buy coins in game?

I'm still a little confused. Is the In-game CC purchase still offline? I can use it in game and everything up to the point of purchase. I haven't actually bought any yet cause i don't want to pay but not get coins or vise-versa. Can someone tell me if its safe to buy coins in game?

YES! Whats the word on in-game CC and the 50% off the first in-game CC bought?!?! I dont wanna miss the 50% deadline,and theres no word on that at all,just ok everything's cancelled.

info on in-game CC and the 50% off first buy PLEASE!

thank you

YES! Whats the word on in-game CC and the 50% off the first in-game CC bought?!?! I dont wanna miss the 50% deadline,and theres no word on that at all,just ok everything's cancelled.

info on in-game CC and the 50% off first buy PLEASE!

thank you

I think that info is supposed to be in the news item they didn't put up but did mention in the patch notes.

Curious to know what the actual requirement is for getting that discount, not just being a sub, but simple things like the payment method would be appreciated... but not expecting to be able to make use of it regardless of being a subscriber.

I'm still expecting him to then also say this is the second and delayed "subscriber appreciation", which I can't agree with if he does seeing as the distaste for CC and more so their excessive focus is the reason they felt the need to offer it in the first place.

We'll see or not see, either way it's a failure.

I can maybe give them some slack on this issue. I have no problem with Bioware patching a system that involves real world coin. For those of you with real world business experience, you can maybe understand the I want it and I want it now attitude is childish and basically not helpful. If I am going to use this system I don't want to worry about any issues involving credit cards or players bank accounts. Further any system like this is a target for those with..shall we say, less than honorable intentions. So Bioware do whatever you need to do to ensure this system works, works efficiently and without any criminal or illegal activity hampering our fair and legal use of your purchasing system. If that doesn't satisfy some I recommend they empty their bank accounts and leave the cash on the front step...if they are in such a hurry to be ripped off.

I just wanna say, that between 1993 when i started gaming and the present day I have never seen a more incompetent company than Bioware. Their senseless bumbling and lack of vision compounded by a relentless stupidity has caused one mistake after another since the game was released.

No I think Lucasarts was worse. They fell apart in 2005. They failed to capitizalise on all of the extremely popular game series they had like Battlefront, KOTOR, RC, etc.

Bioware at least was doing fairly good until 2010 and it could be debated they are still doing fairly well now, even under EA management.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.