The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

20 bucks for a one use dye, REALLY?

BrianDavion

For a brief moment I thought I’d final be able to have my black/black for a reasonable price, I was wrong. I actual was happy to hear they were adding them to the store, like they should have been, but these price are insane. I wish I could say I weren’t surprise but I am.:eek: Edited by TheSeer

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does BioWare do such things? On one hand the continue to reduce restrictions for f2p members which I think is going in the right direction, but then they also show how heavy handed they can be with their pricing model.

Honestly, it's not BioWare's fault. I am putting the blame on the people who continue to purchase the items that are overpriced.

*Edit*

Since I won't be able to post after today, allow me to redirect you to this thread. I predicted that this would happen.

Edited by SithEBM

Honestly, it's not BioWare's fault. I am putting the blame on the people who continue to purchase the items that are overpriced.

Sure, there are always people who have just too much money and don't know what to do with it, but with a lower price they should be able to reach more people and thus sell more items and if the pricing is chosen reasonable, they should be able to make more money. Just making items for whales is a very stupid approach (sure once in a while one can do such things, but BioWare does that pretty much all the time).

Sure, there are always people who have just too much money and don't know what to do with it, but with a lower price they should be able to reach more people and thus sell more items and if the pricing is chosen reasonable, they should be able to make more money. Just making items for whales is a very stupid approach (sure once in a while one can do such things, but BioWare does that pretty much all the time).

It's not just the whales, BioWare wants you to use your monthly stipend so you are tempted to purchase more Cartel Coins in the future.

It is a genius idea because people fall for it. Although, In my thread(Which was created 4 months ago), I predicted that they would start charging more because people keep giving them money.

As for the "Pure Whale" argument, BioWare offers deals here and there(Although I rarely purchase anything from the CM). Even if that Black Dye were 50% off, I wouldn't purchase it.

It's pretty dumb, and i won't be doing it.. but to the people ************ about it devaluing it on the GTN, **** off. If you base your in game income on cartel items you're a ******** anyway, and you may as well be buying credits from farmers.

*Edit*

Since I won't be able to post after today, allow me to redirect you to this thread. I predicted that this would happen.

Agreed SithEBM.

The reason things get priced this way is because consumers are buying them. Bioware doesn't make things 20 dollars on a whim.

If gamers had more self control and actually walked the walk we wouldn't see this. I don't blame bioware one bit. Look in the mirror folks. That is who you blame.

They've done the math. This price point makes more money. Its not just for the whales. They know it will sell.

Agreed SithEBM.

The reason things get priced this way is because consumers are buying them. Bioware doesn't make things 20 dollars on a whim.

If gamers had more self control and actually walked the walk we wouldn't see this. I don't blame bioware one bit. Look in the mirror folks. That is who you blame.

Oh, I think it is still reasonable to blame BioWare. They are basically digging their own grave. Sure, they get some pretty cash, but people become faster fed up with that method. I think a reasonable business model thinks about keeping customers happy for a long time, inviteng them always back to make some small purchases. And let's be honest, BioWare has dilivered with SWTOR some junk food, so they should not ask for prices that fit a 5 star restaurant and instead go with fast food pricing! (I mean people would buy fast food if it would be much more expensive).

They've done the math. This price point makes more money. Its not just for the whales. They know it will sell.

Like I said, maybe in the short run, but it is not a healthy model in the long run.

Edited by Drudenfusz

I kinda don't understand some of y'all's outrage over this. Maybe if this was the only way to get the dye but all bioware did was add a convenience feature to the game as an additional means of getting it. Also how many people have spent $20 plus on the random packs for the chance at these items?

I kinda don't understand some of y'all's outrage over this. Maybe if this was the only way to get the dye but all bioware did was add a convenience feature to the game as an additional means of getting it. Also how many people have spent $20 plus on the random packs for the chance at these items?

I haven't spent a dime on it. If I want something, I want it. I'm not going to roll the dice to get it. With that said, there is no way I am spending almost 20 bucks on a dye module, even if it will be included in collections, and based on the wording of the patch notes it won't be.

It's currently a little rich for my blood. If I find myself racking up my cartel coin subscriber allowance, however, month after month, and I find that there's nothing else I feel like spending it on, then maybe I'd consider throwing it at a dye module (if I had a character whose overall look just cried out for black/black dyed armor, that is). That said, I think plenty of folks will go for this item at the price being asked. I think it's also fair to believe that the price may eventually come down, after the initial flurry of purchases.

20$ is too much even if it's added to the collections. And of course, we'd have to shell out more cash to make the dye obtainable account wide.

Mind you, if it's added to collections, they'd better let those of us who have a black and black dye already have it added to our collections.

I'm all for a boycott. Honestly, if we don't start taking a stand in regards to the cartel market bull **** we're going to have to pay real money for all the nice things we want. Hell, it already seems like they think it's okay to put more effort into the CM than the game itself and even what we can get from end game PvE and PvP.

I just think people should you know, actually have to play the game and earn all the really cool things.

Who the heck is gonna buy it at those prices lol... I know hickman is just testing the waters but come on, you test it by wetting your foot not walking in waist high.

I bet inside 2 months we see it "permanently discounted". Noone in their right mind is gonna buy a single use dye for 20$ unless it's some miracle particle effect colour lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, I think the prices are a bit high. Especially for a single use item. Seems to me the maximum price should have been about half what it is now.

At the same time, if folks will buy it at that price, then more power to them....pays for more content that I will buy and participate in. And if the price is too high I would imagine they will adjust it downward.

So maybe they should start high and adjust it later if needed.

Still, I think it would have been better to release it at half the price it's at now, or allow it be collected.

I'm not outraged over it. I haven't been able to afford it before, was hoping I could actually get it now, but at that price I refuse to buy it. I feel like they're trying to keep people from buying it to keep it more unusual rather than encourage it.

I'm honestly shocked at the price. It's pretty much a slap in the face. Black/Black dye is awesome. I will admit .. I have bought two of them from the gtn for my Jedi Knight. Going for that Luke from ROTJ look. But asking your customers to spend $20 on a dye ... that is just one big piece of frack you.

Seriously? $20.00 for an item we can use once and NOT add to our collections? Does this company have no limit on their greed? At first glance I was thrilled to see they listened to the players and are beginning to move dyes to a purchase option, then I see the price and no ability to add to our collections. Why the hell did they even put in a damn CM collection when you can't add everything from the CM to it?

This shows how completely out of touch they are with the players. They pretend to listen but then figure out a way to just squeeze more money from us by just giving a taste. This really burns my ***.