Is Armormech useless?

PurveyorOfTruth

If I can just mod orange items, why would I need to craft my own? Wouldn't cybertech be a better choice? Would I be able to craft a better unit of armor than something an orange unit would provide me? I really don't see the benefit in Armormech if there are modifiable orange armors.

Maybe Armormech is just good for looks? because as far as I know, you can only reverse engineer to purple (and its a pain to get there). Is purple somehow better than orange...?

Right now I don't see any benefit in having Armormech at all and regret taking it as a crew skill. I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong, and shed some light on it's benefits.

Why pick cybertech when you can just buy the mods for marks ... I have full orange set and I don't have cybertech. Finish planet -> buy mods with commendations ... no point wasting time on cybertech. Armortech would actually be more useful because I could at least craft gear for my companion ... Edited by Repefe

Why pick cybertech when you can just buy the mods for marks ... I have full orange set and I don't have cybertech. Finish planet -> buy mods with commendations ... no point wasting time on cybertech. Armortech would actually be more useful because I could at least craft gear for my companion ...

Ok so basically you're saying the only reason Armormech is useful is for your companion...This doesn't make it useful overall and, in my opinion, is mechanically flawed.

My point still stands. Once you have an Orange piece of armor you no longer need to switch it out, as long as you keep the mods updated. This even applies to pieces you acquire @ lvl 10. Theoretically they can be useful until lvl 50. If that's the case then the only reason to even seek other armor is for aesthetic purposes, which makes it a 'flawed' game play mechanic because other armors no longer effect game stats.

Also I think w/ cybertech you can craft better mods than the ones you can get from merchants.

Ok so basically you're saying the only reason Armormech is useful is for your companion...This doesn't make it useful overall and, in my opinion, is mechanically flawed.

My point still stands. Once you have an Orange piece of armor you no longer need to switch it out, as long as you keep the mods updated. This even applies to pieces you acquire @ lvl 10. Theoretically they can be useful until lvl 50. If that's the case then the only reason to even seek other armor is for aesthetic purposes, which makes it a 'flawed' game play mechanic because other armors no longer effect game stats.

Also I think w/ cybertech you can craft better mods than the ones you can get from merchants.

Im proud to say that I enjoy Armormech. I have managed to keep my armor and the armor of my companions up to date. The flaw in your reasoning is that once you get orange pieces then you'll be set for the entire game. The problem is getting said orange pieces to drop and then being able to actually customize said orange pieces. I have a couple of oranges that are unable to be modded.

But thanks to armormech, I can keep my armor up to date and use the commendation to buy mods for the few oranges that I do have.

Im proud to say that I enjoy Armormech. I have managed to keep my armor and the armor of my companions up to date. The flaw in your reasoning is that once you get orange pieces then you'll be set for the entire game. The problem is getting said orange pieces to drop and then being able to actually customize said orange pieces. I have a couple of oranges that are unable to be modded.

But thanks to armormech, I can keep my armor up to date and use the commendation to buy mods for the few oranges that I do have.

The flaw(s) in your reasoning is that you can get orange loot in many more ways than just drops. All My orange loot I've either gotten from a quest or a vendor. Also how were you unable to mod your orange pieces? I call BS on that, unless its a bug. All orange pieces are modifiable.

I can keep my armor up to date just fine w/o armormech by acquiring mods armor mods for my orange armor. I can see your reasoning in using it for your companion, but that alone doesn't make it more useful than the other crafting skills, now does it?

The system isn't flawed, it's just new and generally not well understood.

Essentially, orange armour takes almost 3x as much work to keep up to date as 'normal' armour. You need to keep modding the armour, and with three mod slots, you need to upgrade 3 items to stay up to date instead of one piece. You also pay creds to remove mods from armour - at level 21, my mods are around 500c to remove.

Also, armourmech makes orange armour, I believe.

The best way to think of it as being orange = appearance item, but takes more work to keep up to date.

Normal armour is the easy way to stay up to date, but you may end up looking like a clown.

You also pay creds to remove mods from armour - at level 21, my mods are around 500c to remove.

Why would you like to remove old mods from your armor if you dont use them anymore? Replacing old mods with new ones doesnt cost anything.

Armormech can not only make purples, which can have a full slew of various different itemization options that you might not be able to achieve just through mods, but also(and this is the part people keep forgetting), Armormechs get schematics to craft orange armor. When you do so, if you crit it, it will add Augment slots, thus making it better than any orange armor attainable via commendations/flashpoints, etc.

There's your reason to keep armormech. =)

I have a cybertech. My mods are handy. But now I feel I need an alt to prep my mains with better armour. As I understand it an armorcrafter can crit an orange and get an augment slot. I foresee PVP being hugely competitive and figure as much control / independence as I can get the better. Rolling alts here is also fun as the stories are 'all good'.

Amormech is the most hassle-free means of keeping yours and your (non-droid, non-FU/Strengh main stat) companions' armor up to date and geared the way you liked. Besides the craftable oranges you can find via UT (which, as the poster above has mentioned, can still be critted for an augment slot, arguably making them better that any moddable gear you can ever hope to find in flashpoints or loot drops, appearnce nonwithstanding) you also have a wide array of potential blues and purple to can learn by RE.

...because you see, where most other craftables have just one possible recipe to be learned by RE them, equipable gear (including all armormech and sythweaving, and I belive weapons, implants and ear pieces as well) can have a varity of different outcomes. It could have +crit, +power, +def, +absorbtion... effectivly every possible stat is, well, possible, and by taking the time and effort, you can create a set of purple armor with the exact extra bonuses you want, not to mention any purple you make at or near your level will have more armor than anything you are going to find for quite a while, even that you can find in flashpoints (although, admitingly, you might find ones with better stat bonuses, as those do not increase with rarity, besides the extra bonuses you get of course.)

In the end, you do not "lose" anything by picking an armor crafting skill (all of the above aplies to sythweaving as equally as armormech) in place of one of the mod-capable crafting skills, like Cybertech or Artifice. They are both equally viable means of keeping your gear and stats up to date.

Edited by Foefaller

Cybertech can craft better mods you don't have to care about one bit while leveling, they have big price tag and little extra effect compared to what you can buy. Also what you are missing is that it's cheaper to craft piece of armor than it is to mod piece of armor. All this awesome orange gear remodding is the less effective way to upkeep your gear, crafting new gear is the more effective way. Covering your as well as your companion needs is just added bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

The other thing that is missed from this is that once you have RE armor to a purple that works for you, it will work for everyone else in your class.

As a ArmorMech BH I am happily selling additional purples I make on the AH for 10-20K a pop. Its just rinse and repeat.

Also my BH with Purples in most slots is better equipped than most tanks (As a Mech I can still tank many Flashpoints). With 50's in low level PVP you can forget armor being a big difference, the additional lvl 50 skills are just too overpowering. I can still hold my own in most situations.

The additional augmentation slot with a crit is also very nice ;-)