Q&A from Community Cantina in Seattle (31 Aug 2013)

jasoneth

Some people are just hilarious.

When someone doesn't agree with their opinion, they have to be drunk, on medication, an alien Xenomorph or something to that effect.

The idea that maybe not everyone hated Makeb just because they did doesn't even enter their personal realm of possibility.

I think it's high time people stopped asking the same questions, so that we might eventually stop getting the same old answers. Enough with the Class Story questions and the Guild Ships. The answer is, and has been for 2 years now, "we're not saying never, but it's not in our immediate plans". Ask them what IS in their immediate plans or what they want to do with the classes moving forward. Even class balance questions make more sense, because at least balance is something that can never be over and done AND because there are Arenas coming in October.

Would I personally like more Class Stories too? I'd LOVE that. But Makeb's storylines were fine for what they were, as well.

Does asking the same thing over and over again and getting the exact same response for over a year now gets us anywhere? Definitely not.

Not a single person in this thread has said a negative thing about Makeb, but I guess you don't really care about that do you? :rolleyes:

And you're wrong about them having the same stance on class stories for over a year. Before the Germany Q&A when asked BW always gave some 'working on it' or 'looking at it' response, but now they're seemingly off the table entirely. Try again. Or better yet don't; BW doesn't need you to defend them in every thread (besides the sorc QQ threads that is). Besides we already have several people that do it much better.

Yeah, I'm the majority of people that played through Makeb enjoyed it, but you know that if he had asked "who here would prefer class stories over 2 faction stories?" then there would be an even bigger cheer.

Another interesting question would be to see how many people enjoyed Makeb/having one story per faction as much the second time around, and so on. Aside from people who didn't like Makeb the first time (I'm one of them, Republic side at least), there seem to be a decent number of people who say they got tired of it after enjoying their first play through. I also don't understand their logical leap from "people liked Makeb's story" to "Makeb's story was better than it would have been if it had been written to take class more into account".

Or, for that matter, if they asked a more representative sample of the game - I'm guessing people who attend these events probably tend to be bigger fans of the game than those that don't.

Apart from class stories, not too thrilled with some other stuff in there either. Sounds like a soft no to player ship customization, relatively hard no on replaying/revisiting class-related areas, the sitting thing (I don't RP but I think that should be part of the game, not something paid for by any method), etc. I'm also kind of curious about what the participation in NiM ops is compared to ranked 8v8s was (also in conjunction with their stated reason for why giving high level legacies stuff is difficult).

I did find this response amusing

To reiterate, don’t ask a question you know the answer to already.

One of them problems with these Q&As is that this happens all the time, and they answer it again here. Also, why answer that Wookie question?

Edited by Lesaberisa

honestly, as much as i would love more individual class stories, i'm fine with more makeb stories as long as they meet us halfway and give us some more stuff to make each class feel unique in how it interacts with the overall story.

i keep reading how that was their intent with makeb, but i've played through with 3 different base classes and didn't really notice anything differently aside from the occasional calling my consular a jedi or my trooper a... trooper.

All 8 of my Ops team have been legacy 50 for at least 6 months. We aren't even that hardcore we haven't downed any bosses in SnV or TFB NiM.

The SSSP looks like Star Fox 64 multiplayer, which gets a meh from me. My expectation are real low here. Hopefully ill be surprised.

Every time I see cantina thing all I hear are excuses of why they can't do things and it all seems to go back to the engine and the idiot devs who made it so inflexible. I mean they can't change what the ship looks like in the inside without screwing up questing some how. How does the aesthetics of something change how the quests work?

The thread going on now about not being able to look like a proper Jedi, people have been saying its a technical limitation that we can't have flowing garments or robes since launch. But obviously Bioware doesn't give 2 s***s about clipping looking at mounts. So why can't I have long flowing sleeves and pants on my Jedi? Put them in game and ill decide if I want to wear them or not, at least add them.

If all these early mistakes were made under the Docs watch then I'm glad they retired and left the game in better hands. They have made some of my favorite games but it seems they were getting stale.

Class balances after arena launch... I just scratch my head at that.

So...we were lied to about the hard/nightmare mode lockouts....nice.

No. You weren't. They never ever said they would be separated.

They said the tech for nightmare was built on hardmode so even though they would like to it would be difficult and not sure when/if it would be done.

You were never lied to. Get over it.

My OotiniCast co-host Chill, who attended the Community Cantina in Seattle, was able to transcribe the Q&As from the two sessions held, which you can find in this post on our site.

Probably the biggest reveal (aside from the Super Secret Space Project video!) was that black/black and white/white dye modules will be directly purchasable on the Cartel Market “soon”.

Excellent write-up, thanks.

I'm confused here. They don't really want to put in the effort to reward legacy 50 because only a small minority of the player base have reached that far.. yet they take a quick poll of approximately 300 people and it confirms his theory that everyone liked Makeb.

Makeb was an okay story, but if given the option i'd rather experience Makeb from four different perspectives than one four times.

On the other hand, “here’s a speeder” is way too weak for the major achievement of legacy 50

I'm not legacy 50 yet, but i'd much rather have a unique speeder than the ability to buy a time upgrade for a transport ability.

Class balances after arena launch... I just scratch my head at that.

people keep acting like there are no balance changes coming in 2.4, we know that there are changes being made before 2.4 that are currently being tested on pts

the fact they are being conservative about changing up classes and balance is great in my opinion, I strongly believe small incremental changes are way better then major overhauls when it come to balancing and like they said arenas will have their own balance issues compared to warzones and pve, the fact they are aware of this and working on a wait and see basis means that hopefully any arena influenced changes will be changes that are needed and do not drastically effect pve balance like major changes based off blind assumption could potentially create

I say take your time, gather the data, focus on the priorities, and keep the changes small rather then just pander to forum whining and over compensate because whatever class yelled the loudest

From the transcript:

Q: Why not more playable species, like Nautilans?

A: Each species takes tons of time to develop for all the options, moves, and so on. Because Cathar sold well, they are in talks to see what should be next, but he does not know which one will be next.

So i can finally buy the Cathar without feeling blackmailed.

Q: Changes to player ships?

A: Player ship changes are on the wall of crazy. They are looking at perhaps making it so a group of more than four can enter a player’s ship. That said, a player’s ship is one of the hardest parts of the game to change, due to so many quest triggers being on the ship—any change is highly likely to break things. “It makes our worldbuilders cry” when they have to change the ship.

Simple then, inroduce a housing system, with this response ppl can't say "your ship is your house no need for another one"

Q: When will we ever add more class story?

A: (Schubert takes a quick poll; most people liked the Makeb story. This apparently confirmed his suspicions.) From their point of view, the Makeb story was successful. And actually one of the reasons it was successful was because it was NOT a class-based story. Instead of having to come up with multiple reasons why different types of characters would go to Makeb (artifacts, military secrets, etc.) they could focus on making one very good story with slightly different takes for each class. This made Makeb both a better story and more epic (due to not having to do eight full versions of it.) They are looking at taking the basic Makeb model in future and expanding on its emphasis of class differences. How would Luke Skywalker handle this problem vs. Darth Vader? They might go back to the class story model, but it would be hugely ambitious.

Interesting, i really wonder where the heck do they get their metrics, most ppl i talked to say that Makeb was nice, however if i ask if they'll do it with again on a alt most said no. Can't exactly see how is that a sucess.

2 things atracted me to this game, the story and the replayability. Replaying the game on the same side was fun because of the class story, with it i could overcome the boredom of repeating the planet quests. I've done Makeb once on the empire side, i'm definitelly not going throught that again. They'll need over six Makebs to compensate the depht of class stories, and i doubt i'll do them all twice.

Thanks for the write up , very detailed and I can tell a lot of effort has been put in.

Not a single person in this thread has said a negative thing about Makeb, but I guess you don't really care about that do you? :rolleyes:

And you're wrong about them having the same stance on class stories for over a year. Before the Germany Q&A when asked BW always gave some 'working on it' or 'looking at it' response, but now they're seemingly off the table entirely. Try again. Or better yet don't; BW doesn't need you to defend them in every thread (besides the sorc QQ threads that is). Besides we already have several people that do it much better.

Well it might not have been a year ago but it certainly was between 6 months and 10 months ago , want me to find a link ? Well I'm bored of proving something that most of us read back in the day.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

honestly, as much as i would love more individual class stories, i'm fine with more makeb stories as long as they meet us halfway and give us some more stuff to make each class feel unique in how it interacts with the overall story.

i keep reading how that was their intent with makeb, but i've played through with 3 different base classes and didn't really notice anything differently aside from the occasional calling my consular a jedi or my trooper a... trooper.

I agree that Planetary stories would be fine with me from here on out if either 1 of these 2 things happen

1) The planet story arcs themselves involve characters or organizations from class stories and will give special nods to said class story (i.e. The Emperor's Children (consular), The Star Cabal (agent) ). If the focus of the planet involves something like that I can be up for it.

OR

2) Remove the generic 1 time side quests and have a few 1 time class specific quests that pops as you are progressing through the planetary story line (something sort of like in Mass Effect 2 where you meet the person you saved from Ferros in ME1 and do a short side quest for them while your on your main quest to find Thane on Ilium)

I think either of these two things can work and will give some sort of variety to the storylines and allow replay ability.