Reasons why SWTOR will be F2P in 6 mos

Mazinger-Zetto

In the orignal thread, you made a refrence that WoW was good by the TBC because it had a dungeon finder tool.

That right there, was your fault.

The dungeon finder tool did not exist till late WOTLK, and for that little comment, I realized you are a new age MMO fan, and thus your opinion means very little to us veterans.

I am in agreement with this person.

OP, get over yourself and calm down.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it'll make or break the game, but a dungeon finder (albeit only for linking up with players on your server) would be a step in the right direction when you consider you're not even visiting specialized zones to get to these flashpoints anyway and therefore fears of it leading to people just standing on the fleet are misguided.

I don't want to have to spend an hour of my life scouring general chat for a group for, say, Taral V when I could be doing something entertaining. I played vanilla WoW and at times I had the same feeling, so I don't know what the problem would be there.

Did wow have a rocky launch? Yeah. But remember in 2004 it was EXPECTED for a new mmo to be unplayable for a month or two. Hell anarchy online was about 6 months before it had any type of server stability. As expectations rose so did the quality of releases. One thing the haters are right about and the fanboys are wrong on, is that tor isn't competing against wow patch 1.1, its competing against wow 4.3(or is it still 4.2?). Is the gameplay dull and uninspiring? Hell yes, but the story makes up for it. Now what's going to happen when we finish act 3 of the story? Ill cross that bridge when I get to it.

did wow have a rocky launch? Yeah. But remember in 2004 it was expected for a new mmo to be unplayable for a month or two. Hell anarchy online was about 6 months before it had any type of server stability. As expectations rose so did the quality of releases. One thing the haters are right about and the fanboys are wrong on, is that tor isn't competing against wow patch 1.1, its competing against wow 4.3(or is it still 4.2?). Is the gameplay dull and uninspiring? Hell yes, but the story makes up for it. Now what's going to happen when we finish act 3 of the story? Ill cross that bridge when i get to it.

says the troll who made his account this december. Go troll somewhere else.

Yes, WoW was naff when it launched but back then MMO's were still the extremely niche market where those who played them were looked upon as the stereotypical mother's basement dwellers in DnD cosplay. Back then there was no WoW for people to compare it too, but TOR does not have this luxury. Your average player is not going to play WoW-Lite when there is already a WoW-Premium they have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours playing already.

Yes, WoW had issues but consider the vast majority of WoW's playerbase never experienced vanilla or even The Burning Crusade and therefore will not have experienced a proper launch, thus the 'excuse' of this being a new game does not work. Again, why pay the same price for the same food at a restaurant that is undercooked when you can go to a restaurant next door, pay the same and receive all the trimmings without waiting an hour to get seated and doesn't have a notice on the kitchen they've got a rodent problem.

The Old Republic's release reeked of EA trying to get them to shove it out the door for a Christmas release, much like with Warhammer Online's where they pigeon holed Mythic to pump it out to beat Wrath of the Lich King's release date. Warhammer Online had the biggest MMO launch prior to The Old Republic and look how that turned out.

I like The Old Republic, I will stick with it, but I can see the majority of people (IE: The people who don't visit the forums and don't take excuses) not.

Edited by WhoDaresWins

This is perhaps the biggest misstep. Biowhore and Evil Arts cut corners by licensing the HeroEngine instead of developing their own. Now, as a developer professionally, I would normally say "Good for them," but it is painfully clear not much money went into developing this engine into something for a AAA MMO. As of 9/2011, the engine still does not support multiple cores nor a 64-bit client. Even WoW supports multiple cores and a 64-bit client.

Let's stick to the facts. Shall we?

First off WoW actively uses two cores. One for the game, the other to offload their sound-related threads based on the FMOD sound system, and if you flagged the CPU for multiple cores in the ini files they will have Windows handling their threads. Sadly the old WoW forums are down otherwise I could link some more of the techy details here. It also does not support 64 bit yet. This feature is planned for 5.0 whether it comes earlier depends on their decisions. It hasn't been their main priority yet because the WoW engine is even more ancient than the Hero engine is and has been conservatively adapted to match the lowest denominator while throwing bones to those of us owning some more costly cards.

This game is WoW without all the bells in whistles. It starts out sleeker than WoW, but is missing things that are pretty integral to WoW's success during the end of Vanilla and Burning Crusade. A solid end-game, both PvE and PvP. Better community tools like a group finder (I mean a group finder, not a cross-faction hullabaloo) and so forth. Three years and 100 million dollars for a watered down WoW clone with an exhaustible story and thoroughly abused IP.

I have been playing WoW since Vanilla and since launch day. I can tell you right there, there was no solid end-game.

I am telling you this because one of the first discussions on WoW forums I participated in was started by a fairly angered Human paladin saying that all he's got left to do was farming for his mace over and over and that's it.

Most people didn't get into Molten Core because the process to get in there involved a complicated attunement process and you also had to farm FR gear.

PVP was non-existent. I remember being bumped back to log-in screen and going back seeing names and vague circles as hundreds of players engaged eachother in Tarren Mill. I remember logging in and seeing Crossroads being devoid of NPCs instead I found a horde of PVP-tagged Alliance players enjoying their solid PVP.

And with these missteps, I call it here and now. F2P in 6 mos. It will not go away, but I seriously doubt you will see much more polish.

Unfortunately you are using a deduction process based on the idea of you speaking for all of us or the majority, that we are ignorant and need a speaker. I can think and speak for myself and I have to find a proof that your "Here are the issues, welcome to oblivion" run-down actually can actually be summarized as "the game will be dead/F2P in 6 months".

We can only determine that exactly after 6 months and not before.

Edited by ArmchairMagpie

/facepalm

This post is in the same useless category as the "xxxx game will kill wow!"

The game is solid, is it as solid as a 7 year old game? obviously no, but who in their right mind would expect it to be?

Was WoW solid at launch? well I don't know tbh because the servers were pretty much down for a week straight at launch, that's right, if this had been the wow launch you would have had a total of 3 days played by now.

Did wow had queues at launch? you bet, they were the same as they are here, did they throw out free migrations? nope, "reroll" was the message, as it should have been.

SWTOR is, in all aspect a much better game than wow was at launch, heck it's a better game than any of it's rivals were at launch.

Ofcourse there will be bugs, some have some kind of FPS "bug" I don't have it and my specs match some of the people reporting it, I guess a car is broken if you don't know how to turn on the light aswell, the resource node bug.... honestly a minor one, annoying yes, gamebreaking? nowhere near it, I'd rather have that than lootlag that makes my character stuck for 1 minute everytime I loot a corpse.

As some other guys signature said, people either complain that it is too much like wow, or that it lacks features from wow, the only people whom I pay attention to nowadays, are the ones who can compare this game to others than wow.

Btw, people who claim to know what every mmo veteran think or do, just needs to stop posting, just because people have played mmo's for 15 years doesnt mean that they think alike, whatsoever.

Or would you prefere to be put in the same box as people who have eaten at mcdonalds for the last 5 years?

I'd seriously bet 1000$ that this game does not go F2P within 6 months, it's the dumbest thing I have ever read, right next to "Lol swtor wiil keel w0w!"

And calling them "Biowhore" and "Evil arts" ?? how old are you? seriously? 11?

EA is not known for making mmo's a FTP. although Warhammer is near extinction it still is a p2p with an extensive item shop.

So the chance that this game will become FTP within 6 months is like -9000. Even if the population drops they more likely will merge servers instead of going FTP.

LOL, I remember the days when people were saying WOW sucked compared to Asheron's Call, EQ and UO because it didn't offer the in depth game play and expansive worlds they did upon it's launch.

Man, history DOES repeat itself...

Edited by Fraxture

(The original thread was nuked for violating forum TOS for referencing religion, so here is your religion-free version)

So after playing beta, EGA and the first few days of launch, I predict that SWTOR will go F2P in about six months.

Various other BS

If you care to put your money where your BS is I'd put a RL $100 wager on your statement.

If a pile of broken crap like Galaxies can survive near 7 years as P2P, then I really don't see why a far superior game would end up F2P in 6 months. Wishful thinking on your part OP.

Hell, it did die ONLY because LA decided to pull the plug, otherwise it would still be going 8and these boards would have a lot less haters and trolls....)

I can see why the OP posted this thread.

He knows SWTOR won't ever go F2P (or at least not in the next decade).

He knows BW/SWTOR fanboys will bite.

Just look at the 239 replies so far.

Don't have to be a genius to know this games already a huge success.

Edited by Sejia
insult

(The original thread was nuked for violating forum TOS for referencing religion, so here is your religion-free version)

So after playing beta, EGA and the first few days of launch, I predict that SWTOR will go F2P in about six months.

Lazy

This is perhaps the biggest misstep. Biowhore and Evil Arts cut corners by licensing the HeroEngine instead of developing their own. Now, as a developer professionally, I would normally say "Good for them," but it is painfully clear not much money went into developing this engine into something for a AAA MMO. As of 9/2011, the engine still does not support multiple cores nor a 64-bit client. Even WoW supports multiple cores and a 64-bit client.

This is sloth, and the fact that BW/EA did not bother to invest in the backbone of this game. Players will burn through your content and dialog. And when they get into the routine of playing the repetitive parts of the game, they will really start to notice how little was put into this engine.

Ignoring your users

The community management sucks. The interaction is canned corporate responses. There is no detail, the only admitted problem is Taris and that's only because quite literally hundreds of players have fallen into a figurative black hole on that world. This is a poor way to treat your community. To treat them like children. As if giving them information is something they could not handle. Your customers are not asking you to cater to their every whim (well, most of them), but they do enjoy having information that allows them to make informed decisions... like... do they actually need to upgrade, or do you have a really crappy, inefficient engine that you'll eventually patch and do we just suffer or spend our money to get new hardware. Stuff like that. This smacks of pride.

Being greedy

Another major misstep here was the revocation of a grace period and only reinstating a small span of time after the community set you on fire for it. Given the insanity of the postal services during this time of year, the seven day grace period would have shown forethought and consideration. Can't let those players play an extra week! They could be giving us money instead!

Given the fact that this is EA, if the cost of maintaining a viable player base, due to initial craptacular implementation or lack of project planning, costs more money, they are going to court the players until they at least make ends meet so they can save some face in front of the investors. Then they will begin hiking back resources to adding or supporting this game and ultimately F2P with microtransactions.

One of the reasons WoW did so well was that Blizzard had all its eggs in that basket. SCII and D3 were not coming out for a long, long time and SC:Ghost was scrapped. They had to stick it out and make it profitable and look at it now. Be sure, if EA can figure out the numbers to make their enterprise more profitable that does not involve SWTOR (in the short term), they'll cut this project quick.

Fostering anger in their community

This one is on the community management again. They foster this environment. Poor details, poor handling of users, poor customer service. Closing duplicate threads with the snarky "Go here" as if to hide the sheer number of pissed off people. It all contributes to the community's anger at how this is being mishandled. Eventually, that anger is going to translate into people not staying past the free 30 days.

WoW Clone, Family Guy Style

This game is WoW without all the bells in whistles. It starts out sleeker than WoW, but is missing things that are pretty integral to WoW's success during the end of Vanilla and Burning Crusade. A solid end-game, both PvE and PvP. Better community tools like a group finder (I mean a group finder, not a cross-faction hullabaloo) and so forth. Three years and 100 million dollars for a watered down WoW clone with an exhaustible story and thoroughly abused IP.

Engorging your servers

I chalk this up to servers. Yes, everyone has launch issues, but given the fact that they put us through that painful EGA, you would think they would have put in the infrastructure to migrate your character to a different one, put in some server caps to prevent qs and everything else. Nope, not happening. So instead they have engorged themselves on players and we are all suffering for it.

And with these missteps, I call it here and now. F2P in 6 mos. It will not go away, but I seriously doubt you will see much more polish.

Any chance I could borrow your time machine? I could really do with winning the lottery next week. Cheers :)

I can tell you now, with little issues this game has and what will be resolved. If this game will be F2P in 6 months, i will still be playing it and wondering how the hell iv managed to carry on playing such a great game for free.

Shame some people are jumping the gun and giving abuse after the game has ONLY JUST BEEN RELEASED.

Patience children, patience.

says the troll who made his account this december. Go troll somewhere else.

Lol oh yeah because since I made my account on release day makes me a troll. :eyeroll: look, either disprove what I said or admit I am correct. When wow launched it was normal for the game to be down more than it was up and it was customary for the company to reimburse those lost days with free play time on your account. The mechanics in tor are a refinement of previous games, there isn't anything innovative here EXCEPT story, and honestly I LOVE the smuggler/ bounty hunter storylines. Fantastic job, its enough to keep me playing.

As for my name, I chose it explicitly to incite fanboy rage and yes, I was very apathetic about tor but on the 20th I was home sick and my buddys had been frothing at the mouth about it for a year (even let me play during the thanksgiving stress test) so I picked it up.

Here's a brief rundown on why I say tors gameplay is unimaginative:

Companions: EQ, star trek online

Crew skills: star trek online

Space combat: super nintendo star fox

Mods: wow gems/enchants

Hotkey combat: EQ, AC, WoW, DAoC, star trek online, WAR, AoC, Rift, AO, Aion, Vanguard, CoH/coV, CO, etc etc ad nauseum

Reverse engineering: SWG, rift

So, what makes my statement wrong?

Lol oh yeah because since I made my account on release day makes me a troll. :eyeroll: look, either disprove what I said or admit I am correct. When wow launched it was normal for the game to be down more than it was up and it was customary for the company to reimburse those lost days with free play time on your account. The mechanics in tor are a refinement of previous games, there isn't anything innovative here EXCEPT story, and honestly I LOVE the smuggler/ bounty hunter storylines. Fantastic job, its enough to keep me playing.

As for my name, I chose it explicitly to incite fanboy rage and yes, I was very apathetic about tor but on the 20th I was home sick and my buddys had been frothing at the mouth about it for a year (even let me play during the thanksgiving stress test) so I picked it up.

Here's a brief rundown on why I say tors gameplay is unimaginative:

Companions: EQ, star trek online

Crew skills: star trek online

Space combat: super nintendo star fox

Mods: wow gems/enchants

Hotkey combat: EQ, AC, WoW, DAoC, star trek online, WAR, AoC, Rift, AO, Aion, Vanguard, CoH/coV, CO, etc etc ad nauseum

Reverse engineering: SWG, rift

So, what makes my statement wrong?

It's called evolution.

All the games you mentioned improved on the design that was implemented in previous games as well.

So they are guilty of the same crime you accuse SW:TOR of.

But yet they were allowed to thrive with those features with players well aware they were all done before.

It's like saying you are less of a human because you took the best from your parents and improved on it.

And we know that's not true. The next step is always a greater step in the same struggle that is MMOs.

Wow always stole from other MMOs as they came out as well.

WAR came out and WOW started to offer the same features in their next expansion that WAR offered as the base of their game play.

You have to evolve to survive.

Edited by Fraxture