Jumping through hoops for a Tauntaun

Jonathan_Kabrin

I just wanted to voice my opinion on the ridiculous requirements needed to get a Tauntaun mount. I love SWTOR and have had no complaints up until now. When I found out about the new mounts I thought it was awesome, I have loved Tauntauns since I was a kid. But when I got to Hoth in my story I found out about all the hoops I must jump through to get one. First of all there are players selling the data you need for huge amounts of money and refusing to tell you where you can find a nest because it would cut into their money making racket. Which I find to be a total jerk move. So I look up how to find a nest on Google and they say to use your micro-binoculars, which I don't have. So I look that up and find out that I can get them on a mission when I'm level 54.... fantastic, I'm level 41. So then I finally find a nest after looking for an hour on my speeder, and fail when I try to lure the fawns, so I think I'm doing something wrong. Once again I turn to Google. I find out that in fact I am not dong anything wrong, it's just set up to make you fail a ridiculously huge number of times. There are a number of flaws in how this is set up. Number one, you need 1.5 million credits to buy one. What? Did the developers that a page from the Galactic Market Book of How to Rip A Player Off. The most credits I've been able to accumulate is almost 200k, so buying one isn't even an option. Number two, the bate is 500 a pop and with a success rate for luring the fawn at 15 to 20%, you need to rob a bank to get enough to get all the data you need. Then you have to spend a month running around Hoth with the 30 minute cool down when you fail. The whole thing sucks. If you want to buy one, it should not be so expensive. If you want to gather the data, the bate shouldn't be so expensive, and if it is 500 credits a pop, with the low success rate you shouldn't need so many to get the mount, or there should be a success rate of 100%. It seems like the whole plan was to just make it easy for the high level players who can accumulate the credits needed quickly or have the equipment needed to make the mission easier, while making it almost impossible for the rest of us. Like I said I WAS excited about the new mount, now I'm just disappointed. The whole thing makes me want to say forget it, you can stick your Tauntan. Edited by Jonathan_Kabrin

It took me 2.5 hours to get mine. Go to http://www.dulfy.net. There is a tuantuan guide. It tells you where all of the nest are. Secondly you do not need to jump through hoops to get the tauntaun, you just need to be patient. Thirdly 2.5 hours is not nearly as bad as some of the grind on World of Warcraft to get some of the most rare mounts that game has to offer. Some of the mounts on that game took people six months or more to get. Last if an in-game player wants to charge a certain amount of credits to sell the items you need then that is their choice.

I am with the op on this one. I am 0 for 9 ATM for luring a tauntaun. The success rate needs to be increased to 50% -75% and/or the cool down needs to be reduced to just a few minutes. I find the 500 credit price for bait to be annoying, but reasonable only if the success rate is significantly increased.

The Tauntaun mount acquisition method has been received quite well by most all players. If you want to grind one out, you can. If you want to purchase via credits, you can. If you want to mix and match grinding and paying credits, you can.

I remember on my first toon how expensive speeders and the necessary training were. Speeders are incredibly easy to come by nowadays. Of course they knew the tauntauns would be popular, that's why they made them expensive (either time or credits) but easily acquirable via in game methods. The other option would have been like the lizard mount, in that they're only available via the Cartel Market, which then means they're on the GTN for 3-4 million credits.

The guides are a big help, and the macro binoculars are not necessary for acquiring the mount. As you get to be in the game longer, you will realize that 1.5 million credits are nothing.

Edited by GatorAndy

I am with the op on this one. I am 0 for 9 ATM for luring a tauntaun. The success rate needs to be increased to 50% -75% and/or the cool down needs to be reduced to just a few minutes. I find the 500 credit price for bait to be annoying, but reasonable only if the success rate is significantly increased.

Why do you feel this way? 50% rate would be insanely high. As it is, It takes very little time to actually achieve a mount. And you do know you can spend ZERO time, and just buy the data. The point of achieving something is to give a sense of accomplishment, not feed a sense of entitlement.

I really do not like the "OMERGRD it too me more than 5 minutes to get something" mentality in a game that is meant to basically eat up time.

Lol, such a shame, people today want everything so easy. Its a video game, how about play it for once?

Same people ask for Macros and "bots" so the game can play itself and don't have to spend time doing ANYTHING that might be considered "effort" adn will also complain about it being P2W via cartel market.

ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!111oneuno

Seriously, nothing is wrong with this. Go out and earn it.

0 for 9? Big deal. This grind is NOTHING. I was the top ranked player in Aion prior to 2.1 (when I stopped playing due to college). How about grinding 2k coins for a weapons ometime, and for ONE coin you had to kill 50 specific mobs, that are mixed inw ith other types forcing you to kill roughly 250 enemies per coin. Oh, and if you don't have that weapon? You are effectively 10% less powerful than those who do have them in a game where you are always flagged for pvp. ...and that is just the weapon, the armor is actually a longer grind, with some peices being in dungeouns and others being pvp only, others yet are crafted (and Aion's crafting was horrible givent he failure rate), and others are grinded out int he open world like the weapons.

Compared to THAT, tha tauntaun is a walk in the park. Seriously, it is not going anywhere and no one can jump you while you do it so there is no harm in it taking some time. 500 a pop, you need 20 if you aren't a subscriber so...10,000 if it had a 100% rate. compared to the 2mil if you buy it outright. If the rate is only 10% you still only pay 100k for a mount that costs 2mil outright assuming you get your last mark at the absolute outside stretch of the pecentage point. Just in what you pay...you taking a month to do it is fair....and MANY pay far less and get it in a few nights.

Seriously, stop whinning and just work for it.

Seriously, nothing is wrong with this. Go out and earn it.

0 for 9? Big deal. This grind is NOTHING... Seriously, stop whinning and just work for it.

Anyone remember pre 1.2 and Taris? Before everyone screamed about having to wait 15 levels for sprint. Or pre Legacy where you had to earn your speeder rep the hard way?

Or other MMOs where kill X and collect Y items spawn at extremely slow rates and drop <10% chance? and are REQUIRED quests, where here they are optional?

People forget how bad it was, how bad it is other places and just want instant gratification.

Why do you feel this way? 50% rate would be insanely high. As it is, It takes very little time to actually achieve a mount. And you do know you can spend ZERO time, and just buy the data. The point of achieving something is to give a sense of accomplishment, not feed a sense of entitlement.

I really do not like the "OMERGRD it too me more than 5 minutes to get something" mentality in a game that is meant to basically eat up time.

I think the real issue is not about the rate of data drops, but what you have to kill to get just one. Most people are not able to take out a same level elite by themselves, at least not below oh about 50. That we are being hit with same level elite pretty much every time we try to get one data is ridiculous...most people can not kill a same level elite below about lvl 50...and when the elite is always upped to whatever current level you are at just underscores the real difficulty behind getting the tauntaun mounts.

Exceptions, best gear available is not available below lvl 50, it is very sad.

I suppose, if you spend hours and hours a day running ops and hoping for the best gear to drop, and actually get the gear, well, of course you can take out an elite of your same level...when gear is not available, regardless of what you might do in order to attempt to attain said "gear", forget it.

Put it all together and it makes for a very frustrating experience when trying to do something as simple as gathering enough data to actually purchase a mount like the tauntaun. And, no, killing an elite does not provide any sense of accomplishment, not anymore. Killing an elite can only provide the sense that for whatever reasons you were 'lucky enough" (due to gear, primarily gear you were lucky enough to have drop during your last 5 hrs running ops -- assuming of course your lvl is in fact high enough to actually wear the gear that dropped) to actually kill the same level as you elite that popped after you were able to lure one of the tauntaun.

Gathering data is an easy matter, defending against a same level elite? Heh, best hope you have been lucky enough that your existing gear is good enough to keep your tail alive or you have thousands and thousands of credits to spend on gear repair and repurchasing lures, etc....oh *snap*, lvl 50 and above have tons of credits, so no worries there....

I was actually wishing that they would be much harder and had more hoops to jump through. Although, I found it boring with the failures and then change instance, then try it, then log to another character and rinse repeat till I got it. I would have loved for something to take weeks or months or evena few days if you were crazy hardcore to get it with traveling etc. So, I would actually suggest a rare mount like that, where you are proud to show the hard work you put into getting it.

I have not tried for the mount myself, But I think with the 10% chance I think the 30 Minute cooldown on failure is a bit excessive to be fair. To above A single same level elite should not be a problem with your companion surely unless your well under geared. :cool:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.