Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

Hello,

I downloaded the latest beta version on the link you provided and it was 5.8kb. Is it possible to provide a full installer with md5 and sha checksums to verify the integrity of the download? And also a virustotal report (I can submit) referencing the same checksums? While I know many thousands use it, it would provide me with peace of mind prior to installing it. I am not a fan of downloaders that then download additional files. I like to get the entire file & verify checksums prior to running any installer. Thank you!

Parsec is hosted on Microsoft's open source web site CodePlex where you can view the code and install the app. It uses Microsoft's ClickOnce for deployment and updates.

ClickOnce does not install applications like your normal Windows installers. ClickOnce applications are installed in your Windows Application Cache. They have very limited access to your system and are only accessible to the user who installed them. They will not leave a footprint on your system other than what is in the cache. You can think of them like Smart Phone Apps for your PC.

Although ClickOnce certainly has flaws, and I make no secret of that in any of my posts, I have no plans to change it because it is free, easy and well... inertia.

Here is the Wikipedia link on ClickOnce that gives a good overview of it: clicky

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me. I've reinstalled windows onto a SSD. When I download parsec it now won't open saying its ParsecClient.application and doesn't know what to open it with.

When opeinging with internet explorer Parsec will install. However, after closing the program, it will not open again and needs to be reinstalled. Any thoughts on what I might have broken to cause this?

Personally I don't like ClickOnce and would rather use a "real" installer but I don't see much point in changing it at this point. If you don't trust it you can download the source and compile it yourself relatively easily, bypassing ClickOnce.

I don't like it much either after using it for Parsec. If I could go back in time I would have used something better. But... inertia.

You can download and compile the source but I do not include the encryption key for encrypted communications with the Raid Service. The majority of raid service stuff would work but some of it would not. I do this in order to keep some control of what is hitting the Raid Service since I pay for it and would prefer to avoid silliness.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/76e4d2xw.aspx

Have you signed your application to protect against M-i-t-M risks?

Can I control when the application updates? If so, how?

What security zone are you using? Internet Zone or Full trust (or has this changed)?

To use internet zone, must I install from Internet Explorer?

Thank you. (don't mean to be annoying just paranoid about security)

Edited by LordSathra

I'm just trying Parsec and so far it works well for me.

But it doesn't let me create a group for raids. When I do "Raid Groups - Manage" and the enter a group name and password and click "create" it tells me: "Group rejected: Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
I used to be able to run parsec but Norton recently told me it was malware and I've been unable to run it since (including after uninstalling/reinstalling and telling Norton to allow it). At one point it ran just after I installed it, but it didn't let me open it again a few days later. Any idea how I might fix that?

• 2 weeks later...

What'd be awesome would be if there would be a pop out implemented that helps merc healers keep track of their kolto shell. Nothing over the top just something like:

Player - 5 - 1:30

(name)(stacks)(time remaining)

Would be so much easier as opposed to having to select each player to see whether they have it.

• 2 months later...

Looking at the Parsec page on codeplex I see that Parsec is open source. I've programmed professionally a while now but never any GUI work much less windows.

What is required if I want to compile Parsec myself? Do I need to by some particular Windows SDK?

I've written some small combat log parsing programs of my own but no GUI (text report only). I'd love to be able to leverage the Parsec GUI to add more stats that I'm interested in. It would also be nice to add things like sort by column to the DPS window.

• 5 years later...