Solo player full access to everything,

Ad-Astra

I have personally suggested this in the past, but I tend to get flamed into oblivion to elite groupers, I am not against grouping, at endgame, it can be fun, but when experiencing content for the first time, if I group up for it, I am forced into skipping the best part of the game...the conversations.

I think they should make solo versions of all group content and scale the rewards down, so its still beneficial to do the group versions.

Bioware clearly were not thinking with all their brain cells when they designed this game around story and still needing you to group up for a decent chunk of it, because in a group, the most dominant one tends to get their way or vote to kick happens a lot.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have personally suggested this in the past, but I tend to get flamed into oblivion to elite groupers, I am not against grouping, at endgame, it can be fun, but when experiencing content for the first time, if I group up for it, I am forced into skipping the best part of the game...the conversations.
Groups are not the problem, the groups you are getting are the problem. In our guild we allow new players to watch conversation and get the full experience.

Bioware clearly were not thinking with all their brain cells when they designed this game around story and still needing you to group up for a decent chunk of it, because in a group, the most dominant one tends to get their way or vote to kick happens a lot.
Trust me, I am normally the most dominant in any pug flashpoint I have done, not because I am a jerk, but because I am usually the only one to talk. Most of my talking isn't do it my way, it is trying to get out of the group how they want to do it. I have voted to kick two people total and both times was because they were belittling another party member. Only time I have been belittle was for using double strike on a weak as a killing move after using force breach by another infiltration shadow. Didn't kick until the jerk went after the healer.

Mostly I heal in hardmode anything with pugs, as a dps I usually play with friends or fellow guild members.

As to topic, how scaled down are we talking? Personally I can solo most non-puzzled fps and even the new SM 55 FPs, so I say if they were to do this, then you would have to scale down reward to at most the same level of rewards from 2+ heroics or less meaning no 66, 69 or 72 level gear drops.

Edited by mikebevo

There is no valid reason to decree a reward to be unique to a form of play, it should only be another mean to acquire it. I don't subscrive to exclusivity of rewards for any form of play, be solo or group, in PvE or PvP any one player should be able to acquire any one item in any number of ways, true flexibility.

That in any event, any reward must be earned in a manner equivalent to the effort required by any other of the possible means, thus a sense of fairness.

I still contend if the group activity is actually fun, with out the rneed to bribe players into it through exclusivity, there would be no issue with folks playing both solo and grouped. If this is not the case, the problem is not with you or I, its really in the content.

If a raid scenario is done right, it should not require an exclusive drop for folks to want to do it, after all it is fun, right?

Same with hard mode flashbacks, operations are they fun or just tedius? There must be a reason why so many folks won't bother with them, and thus only a few sould do them and wish for company.

Should bosses be made easier, that is a tough question to answer, and very perspective. I would prefer that Bosses be true to the class they are supposed to be. Say she is an Inquisitor Assassin, limit her to Inquisitor abilities and cool downs as the player experiences, no cheating like going into stealh in combat every 5 seconds, player's can't, thus bosses can't. If an Inquisitor can strike for 1200 damage, why is a boss hitting for 3,000? If a very good Assassin has 110% accuracy why is a boss at 200%? While you can't possibly expect a single boss to fight 8 players at a time, and give all 8 a challenge if they were just as good as the player, making the boss 8 times better than any player at anything is wrong too. As I said, answering the question is tough. But I tell you, one thing that really angers me really fast is when I come across a boss that has the DPS of an Assassin, the tanking ability of a Warrior, the AOEs of an Agent, etc. I understand a boss is supposed to provide challenge, and players want to experience the elation from defeating something really tough, but all I a saying is keep the boss' abilities sensible.

I have not truly experienced a true one shot death in either raid, operation, or hard mode, but I had been blasted off a ledge and subsequently defeated as a result of it, not the same, agreed, but two or three shot killed, yes indeed, after all an Assassin has little armor protection, no shield at full dps, not much for evade since the exchange of evade point for point is 9 times less tha a tanker getting a shield chance to block, so two or three large hits its about all one could expect to withstand, in groups all I can say thank you for the healer (if not too busy keeping the tank alive).

Tokens/Commendations to buy stuff at vendor, makes the luck factor not totally absolute, but the number of coinage from the raid versus the cost at the vendor, simply is unappealing. It may be worth my while to do a raid if sufficient coinage/token/commendations are provided as a mission completion bonus to afford a piece of armor, weapon etc. So after doing 14 raids I finally collect the set.

Sue

It is your opinion that there is no good reason for different activities to result in different rewards (gear). Not to be harsh, but welcome to MMOs.

It's not about whether it's fun or not. The point is, if a player can solo an operation and get 100% chance at the gear, or do it with a group and get 12.5% chance at the SAME gear. 100% of players would take the sure thing.

Let me turn this around. You claim you want to experience everything in the game, but solo, right? Okay, so if that would be fun for you, why do you need the extra benefit of getting the best gear in the game from it? Isn't the point of it the fun?

Fairness: you have exactly the same chance at being able to join a group and win gear through rolls as every other player in the game. Your argument of real life obligations is understandable, and I have them too, as many others who play this game. But, I would argue that if you don't have the game time available that it takes to group up and earn the gear, then that's on you, not on a game developer to build the game around how much time you have available to play.

There actually exists a game mechanic for this very purpose: lockouts. I think you would be best served by finding a smallish guild of players with similar life commitments which can devote maybe 1 hour/night or less to operations. Starting on Tuesday (server/lockout resets previous night), each night of the week, your guild would progress into an operation as far as possible in the allotted time. You could get through 2 of the bosses on Tuesday, then meet back on another night in the week, finish another 1-2, then finish up on a third night. If you don't finish a whole Op before Tuesday, no worries, just try again next week, and everything will be easier each time, as people know the fights and every one is collecting better gear along the way. (with coordination, and especially at level 55, classic Ops EV and KP are easily doable in less than an hour.) But, for the current level 55 Ops, multiple nights would probably be needed at first.

You can already get the 2nd best gear in the game without stepping foot in an Op. 72 mods can be purchased on the GTN with credits or with ultimate comms which can be earned through HM FPs and other weekly missions. Is it faster gearing up through Ops? Certainly. Bit, it is still doable other ways.

Gameplay/dieing on bosses: flying off a ledge? I hate to say it, but that is totally a L2P issue. You have to know proper positioning when doing boss fights. Like I said previously, operations are more about coordination and teamwork than anything else. Of course a dps can't take as much damage as a tank. If they could, tanks would be obsolete. As a melee dps especially, you must be aware of bosses that have cleave mechanics. 99% of the time, if you, as a dps, are standing next to or on top of the tank, you're doing it wrong. And, if you are getting targeted as a dps, use a threat dump. (although, if an Assassin dps is pulling threat from a tank, it makes me wonder about the tank's abilities...)

So, you want "bosses" to have the exact same abilities as player characters? And the same stats? I think you're confusing a boss fight with pvp. I have not seen any bosses in this game that have abilities that were outside the scope of the type of class they are representing. Do you have any examples?

Obviously, it's going to be impossible to convince you of anything in this regard, and I'm not going to agree with you on doing Ops solo, so I'm going to stop here.

I think they should make solo versions of all group content and scale the rewards down, so its still beneficial to do the group versions.

Communication is your friend in these situations. Be clear from the beginning that you intend on watching the cutscenes, and it is your first time there.

However, your first time there should be in Story Mode, not Hard Mode. Story mode was quite well named, IMO. If anyone gives you crap about watching the story in SM, they are in the wrong, IMO.

...allowing those folk who would like to experience everything this game has to offer but from a solo playing point of view.

It really all depends on what you means by that statement.

If you mean just seeing the content, I have no problem with being able to solo a nerfed down version of SM... but there should be NO REWARDS. You get to see the story...that's it.

If you are talking about progression through the content from a solo player perspective, with comms and gear, it won't happen. Why? Because what you probably fail to realize is that while the content might be catering to pure solo players, I GUARANTEE that the rest of the population would be more than happy to get whatever comms and gear is generated by that solo content thereby making group content that much easier.

MMO developers in general and BioWare specifically have enough trouble creating content at a pace that is ahead of the average player progression curve, add a solo play content feature with comms and gear rewards and you lengthen the "dead time" between content for even more players. This means that more players are more likely to "take a break" and un-sub between content patches, and this means LESS revenue.

I would also love to see this type of option added into the game. I wouldn't ask for all the same rewards as people who play in groups would receive, but it would be nice to at least be able to solo through content and complete related quests without an actual group requirement. I only picked this game up because I have beaten KotOR and KotOR 2 at least five times each, and wanted a new Star Wars game with an alluring story and at least relatively fun combat and character development.

Do I enjoy the MMO aspects? Absolutely. That said, sometimes I'd rather see the entire story for a planet fleshed-out without having to first find a group to get through the content. You could even scale it to allow multiple companions to enter, resulting in a 4 man group with three AI controlled characters.

Overall I would happily support this idea, so long as it doesn't give the same benefits to grouping. After all, if everything could be done solo and there were no differences between solo content rewards/benefits and those for group content, then there would be no incentive to grop at all, even when you have the time to do so.

Edited by kybotica
Autocorrect fail.

I'm actually against this. I played most of my levelling career solo. Grouped for some FP's and Heroics as necessary, but I like the idea of Heroic meaning Heroic - not solo. I also like the idea of Operations being fights with epic bosses that are not meant to be solo content. Even a solo version of these epic fights to me is an injustice.

In a game that rewards you for grouping (ie, Social Points), it just makes sense to have group content. Also, missing the group content does not hinder you from playing the game solo in any way. If you don't have time for the group content on the day that you log in, then don't attempt it.

And if you find yourself with that stretch of free time, hopefully you've cultivated one or two people as in-game "friends" that you can get some group content cleared out with.

I'm actually against this. I played most of my levelling career solo. Grouped for some FP's and Heroics as necessary, but I like the idea of Heroic meaning Heroic - not solo. I also like the idea of Operations being fights with epic bosses that are not meant to be solo content. Even a solo version of these epic fights to me is an injustice.

In a game that rewards you for grouping (ie, Social Points), it just makes sense to have group content. Also, missing the group content does not hinder you from playing the game solo in any way. If you don't have time for the group content on the day that you log in, then don't attempt it.

And if you find yourself with that stretch of free time, hopefully you've cultivated one or two people as in-game "friends" that you can get some group content cleared out with.

I will say that I do not request that everything under the sun be solo content, but anything that is required to complete the entire story of a planet whilst leveling should be. Flashpoints wouldn't even have to be done solo. I just don't particularly enjoy having my leveling interrupted by searches for grops. As a completionist, I really want to do every quest on every planet while I level. It'd be nice to be able to log off part of the way through a quest that normally requires a group and finish it later.

Group content is fine, I just would enjoy being ale to do all the leveling content without needing groups.

So, you want this to be a single player game. I'm not sure an MMO is the game you're looking for.

see, the people who say this don't get it. a game like swtor is the ONLY place you can go to for this type of star wars experience. there's no single player star wars game that offers what swtor offers. if there was, i wouldn't be here right now. mmos in general offer things that no single player game in existence offers, aside from maybe skyrim, but being forced into group activity is annoying. this is why people want more single player aspects in mmos.

see, the people who say this don't get it. a game like swtor is the ONLY place you can go to for this type of star wars experience. there's no single player star wars game that offers what swtor offers. if there was, i wouldn't be here right now. mmos in general offer things that no single player game in existence offers, aside from maybe skyrim, but being forced into group activity is annoying. this is why people want more single player aspects in mmos.

This annoys me a little bit. Yes SWTOR is one of a kind in terms of gameplay but at it's core it is still a mmo. I have said multiple times I don't mind new solo content but i do not want current group content to be made for soloists. Finally you are not forced into group activity most of the quests in fact about 90% of them can be done without groups it is only endgame and flashpoints stuff that requires grouping

Almost nothing divides the community like solo versus group gameplay. I guess it all depends on how you define each term. Solo usually meaning by yourself, and group usually meaning in a group of two or more.

I believe that MMO's need a community of some sort. I think that group finders, etc., are what ruined group play for me. I don't even try anymore, as I you never know what kind of jerk you're going to end up with. As well, after serious raiding at one point in my gaming career, I simply decided I don't have the time anymore. So, I would define that community for me as people showing off their stuff in the fleets, cities, etc. Guilds are there too, social and progression and can be a lot of fun.

Right now this game holds my interest because of the story lines, in fact, I haven't maxed any of my toons on purpose, because although I'll still have things to do, the returns will be stupidly low, verse the effort and time put into obtaining them - in my opinion of course. So my highest is 53. So I agree with the OP.

I suppose giving daily bosses loot mechanics might be a way of giving solo players access to loots that currently only group players have. There are lots of solo "bosses" out there right now too, especially if you count the bounty hunter dailies. This isn't quite what the OP wanted, however, it still gates some content for group only, and yet allows a solo player a chance to gear up and make dailies easier, etc., from doing just that - dailies (which are boring as hell in my opinion too after the third time).

Currently, I think eventually the new gear and different mounts, etc., as rewards is only going to burn itself out as a game play mechanic to keep the solo player interested, and as the devs of wow found out, players won't be herded into activities they don't want to do (group play for example) if they don't like it - they quit instead. So eventually this issue is going to have to be addressed by a MMO out there somewhere. I think the one that does get it right will see their playerbase grow through the roof - my opinion again. Take a look at any older MMO that has tried to keep people going on the gear grind, while only giving solo players second fiddle - a new expansion increases subs, because the solo players come back to check out the new stuff including gear increases for them, max out for solo stuff and then leave again... subs drop. End game for solo players can't be ignored anymore.

Good luck to the OP I hope too that we get "real and value" solo activities in this game.

My two cents...

Edited by Droidist

I agree with this premise. For multiple reasons it is often difficult to get into a group due to rl issues. Me for example I play on a North American server but I am currently in Afghanistan. Also there are times when I just don't want to be in a group I want to go and do my own thing. Yes this is an MMORPG Massively multiplayer online role playing game. That's right multiplayer not multigroup. So I agree that access to all aspects of the game should be able to be completed with just companions. There are solo instances in the game that scale to groups. So why not have group instances that scale to solo players.

It is your opinion that there is no good reason for different activities to result in different rewards (gear). Not to be harsh, but welcome to MMOs.

It's not about whether it's fun or not. The point is, if a player can solo an operation and get 100% chance at the gear, or do it with a group and get 12.5% chance at the SAME gear. 100% of players would take the sure thing.

Let me turn this around. You claim you want to experience everything in the game, but solo, right? Okay, so if that would be fun for you, why do you need the extra benefit of getting the best gear in the game from it? Isn't the point of it the fun?

Wow, you do have a lot of really good points, and I agree with you to an extent on them, but...

Many MMOs are already re-tooling if not to allow for solo play all the way with such rewards, LOTRO did this in their last expansion for instance, they made it a real tedius way for soloers to get raid class gear. So the trend is here, and the evolution can't be stopped.

You made a point, why would a soloer need top gear? its not a physical need, but an emotional one, and since we play for the fun, why should it be dismissed?

Now your point about solo 100% chance to get a goodie, versus grouped 12.5% now, that is a serious issue, and what I have been talking about in many other forum postings. I simply disagree with the group single drop, and the reward being a nothing or all proposal. To me that is the issue, incidentally many other MMO's have also been addressing that, LOTRO which I stil play but left as a break after 4 years of continuou play, already addressed it, if you go to a raid, all have the same independent chance to get the goodie thus no need for lottos, thus it is possible an dhas happend to the "item" to get was received by multiple players and not just one. No reason why SWTOR could not do this, and make it actually rewarding for grouping, after all it would be easier to the content and everyone can get the stuff, so if we do a flashpoint and a particular piece of gear drops, everybody gets it, no need to roll for it, no ninjaing, no feelings of disappointment.

As I said, thank you for your post, it is refreshing to see a well articulated disagreement.

I will also keep reminding all, that SWTOR is afforded by all play styles and preferences, and it takes all, not just any number to make it worth while for Bioware. Thus we should strive to be inclusive, rather than exclusive to assist Bioware in keeping the business up, after all we all are the winners for we have a nice fun game to play regardless of our preference.

Hugs

Sue

Do you mean that with a group, a boss may or may not even drop gear? If they do drop, then everyone gets it? If no drop, everybody gets nothing?

They way LOTRO set up raid drops, there is a long list of special drops you may receive fro participating, some super good, some kinda lame. It appears that each of the items of the list have a certain chance to be awarded, and you get to roll for all the items in the list independently from all other players. I never seen it, where someone rolled so many times so good, that they did get all the items, but I have seen folks walk away with several top tier drops from the same raid. I remember for myself after a raid, I rolled independentely for my list of goodies and wind up with two of the 4 major drop, and half a dozen otehr special drops, I did rather well. After dozens of raids, in the norm, I got one top drop always, and many fillers. I did hear of some players moaning they got nothing for drops, not sure if it actually did happen or they did not get what they want.

But to answer your question, say a boss has a 25% chance to drop Item A, 10% drop item B, 55% item c.

Each player rolls for a chance of getting Item A,B, and C, so it is possible all players could get all 3 items, no player get anything, or any combination thereoff.

In LOTRO the boss drops so many items, it would surprise me if anyone wind-up with nothing.

Sue

sorry fogot this piece...

If you are fighting a normal boss, where it is standard for him to drop something, then all gets the special drop. But, say the standard something is a piece of armor, and the nature of the armor is random as for what class could use it. Then all players will get the armorpiece, but it is random for which class it may be.

Sue

I feel like that is just a completely different way of doing loot drops. That's fine, but personally, I like the current SWTOR way better.

For example:

Boss 1 ALWAYS drops boots

Boss 2 ALWAYS drops chest

Boss 3 ALWAYS drops offhand

Doing it this way ensures that a certain piece drops from each boss for whatever gear level the operation you're doing provides.

If you run with a static group of 8 players, assuming everyone only needs each piece once, a total of 8 runs are needed for the whole group to get all the pieces. (I know optimization may take longer for mixing and matching mods/enhancements from different pieces, but with a good group, you would make sure everyone has their armoring/barrel/hilt from that piece before working on getting people min/maxed)

In your suggested way, the same group could run an operation 10 or more times and not everyone would necessarily have every piece. While others would have duplicates of many pieces.

That being said, people may find trouble with the current loot structure when running with PUG groups, but that, I feel is more of a social/community issue as opposed to one that needs to be fixed with loot rules.

Loot rules actually used to be similar to the way you're describing. A boss might drop 4 pairs of boots, and it randomly assigned those to 4 people, and they would be of the correct stats for that class.

Giggles, I was not suggesting at the time, was only describring how LOTRO does it.

I like the idea of every player does get a reward for their effort regardless, no luck factor. As a result my recommendation has always been that commendations/tokens,coconuts are awarded at the end of the quest/trial/raid and they can be redeemed for whatever you want at a redemption vendor who has everything the game has to be gained.

This way, there is no luck, and folks are more likley to play and help each other

Sue

As a completionist, I really want to do every quest on every planet while I level. It'd be nice to be able to log off part of the way through a quest that normally requires a group and finish it later.

Group content is fine, I just would enjoy being ale to do all the leveling content without needing groups.

:p Well then you should seek therapy as that's your OCD kicking in. It is not for the developers to cater to "completionist soloers." :p Planetary Heroics are 100% optional...again seek therapy.

J/K NOT MEANT TO OFFEND

Giggles, I was not suggesting at the time, was only describring how LOTRO does it.

I like the idea of every player does get a reward for their effort regardless, no luck factor. As a result my recommendation has always been that commendations/tokens,coconuts are awarded at the end of the quest/trial/raid and they can be redeemed for whatever you want at a redemption vendor who has everything the game has to be gained.

This way, there is no luck, and folks are more likley to play and help each other

Sue

Currently, everyone participating does get commendations which can be used on gear. The gear drops are like bonus loot of sorts. :D

Just an idea,

But occasionally I like to do things by myself.

Idea: Have everything on the game including FP's and Operations scaled to a single toon and companion level, allowing those folk who would like to experience everything this game has to offer but from a solo playing point of view.

Understand this may be some folks idea of a nightmare but why not, How good are you, would you like to tackle the game head on, just you and your trusty companion and weapon, (Rambo Style)

Think it would add depth and another unique experience to the game.

I think this would be fun and interesting. It would help solo players like myself to be able to experience all the content. I'd be fine with lesser or no rewards, I just want to see the cut screens, which no one who runs groups these days wants to put up with. I simply want to take my time and see what they did. No reason that all the hard work should only be enjoyed by some, when it can be enjoyed by all.

Hi,

Just an update as this appears to be a contentious point for some folk.

I would personally like to have access to everything solo, purely for the sake of seeing it and doing it, I'm not fussed about loot drops etc,, if the loot drops given were level 53 green gear or the occasional blue, hey I'd be happy for anything I can then sell if not wanted on GTN, so no binding gear, I'm not fussed.

I'd just like to experience the whole game including fp's and ops from a solo perspective, I understand this will probably never happen, but hey that's why it's just an idea, and something I'd personally like the option of being able to do.

If it means I get to learn the fp's and ops and tactics a wee bit, then that helps the grouping phase when I join, at least I'm not going in totally cold or not done it in a while so need to stop like some folk do and check you tube or dulfy.net for tactics when the group get to a quiet bit..

Thanks

I feel like that is just a completely different way of doing loot drops. That's fine, but personally, I like the current SWTOR way better.

For example:

Boss 1 ALWAYS drops boots

Boss 2 ALWAYS drops chest

Boss 3 ALWAYS drops offhand

Doing it this way ensures that a certain piece drops from each boss for whatever gear level the operation you're doing provides.

If you run with a static group of 8 players, assuming everyone only needs each piece once, a total of 8 runs are needed for the whole group to get all the pieces. (I know optimization may take longer for mixing and matching mods/enhancements from different pieces, but with a good group, you would make sure everyone has their armoring/barrel/hilt from that piece before working on getting people min/maxed)

In your suggested way, the same group could run an operation 10 or more times and not everyone would necessarily have every piece. While others would have duplicates of many pieces.

That being said, people may find trouble with the current loot structure when running with PUG groups, but that, I feel is more of a social/community issue as opposed to one that needs to be fixed with loot rules.

Loot rules actually used to be similar to the way you're describing. A boss might drop 4 pairs of boots, and it randomly assigned those to 4 people, and they would be of the correct stats for that class.

It doesn't always work that way where you run the op with a group of 8, 8 x and everyone gets the gear they want. More often than not you run the op over and over and often the same piece drops repeatedly before everyone gets the pieces they are working to get.

In the context of the original post I have never seen where the gear has only been available for group players. The only reason I bring this up is that not everyone can make the time to constantly run the content over and over in a group.

For this very reason there is alot of content in the game that some people don't get to experience. I have know problem running in groups, but I would still like to see everything in the game be available to all players. So during those times you can't find a group you can run the content by yourself. If you prefer groups great if not great too.

It doesn't always work that way where you run the op with a group of 8, 8 x and everyone gets the gear they want. More often than not you run the op over and over and often the same piece drops repeatedly before everyone gets the pieces they are working to get.

In the context of the original post I have never seen where the gear has only been available for group players. The only reason I bring this up is that not everyone can make the time to constantly run the content over and over in a group.

For this very reason there is alot of content in the game that some people don't get to experience. I have know problem running in groups, but I would still like to see everything in the game be available to all players. So during those times you can't find a group you can run the content by yourself. If you prefer groups great if not great too.

I was speaking to the way Ops drop gear. This is the way they work for the main pieces. For instance, TfB and S&V story modes drop Arkanian tokens, so they can be redeemed for whichever class the roll winner is. Yes, there are other pieces dropped along the way that are class specific, but the main pieces are the ones that have set bonuses when turned in at the vendor.

If a group of 8 ran both TfB and S&V 8 times, everyone would have their set bonus pieces. (assuming all on same toon and agreement that this is the goal)