Very High Graphics Setting: Who is this for, NASA computers?

BlackSpin

I just got a new computer, and probably spent a little more than I should have. It's an i7 4900, dual GTX 780's SLI, 2 SSDs Raid 0 ('marked at 1100 mb/s.) I even installed SWTOR Unleashed and have ALL of the assets and DiskCacheArea running from my 32G of RAM...........and I still have to turn off bloom, set shaders to low, turn off Anti Aliasing because I still get LAG where FPS drops under 20 in the PvP, and the PvP area of the fleet. What else do I need to turn down to speed this up? Where the hell is the bottleneck? Edited by BlackSpin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run the game on max settings and I have no issues in 16man Ops or PvP. I occasionally lag on the fleet and the new CZ-198 area is laggy but thats it.

BTW my computer is over two years old.

EDIT: Just saw the guy above me's comment. I believe your problem is you are trying to play an MMO on a laptop.

Edited by Icebergy

My system is far from cutting edge, its about 4 years old and wasn;t anywhere near the best then. But I play on all max settings with very little to no lag. (I do get bad lag in the new daily zone when its packed howevere, and load speeds seem to be getting longer with every patch).

i have heard that the game actually plays worse on better systems though.

I have a i7-3770k running 32MB RAM, and a GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB and I have everything maxed out with no lag. Sure it's not your internet connection? I'm not running Unleashed and I don't even have it installed on my SSD, just a standard 1TB 7200RPM drive. Edited by rkjunior

I have a i7-3770k running 32MB RAM, and a GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB and I have everything maxed out with no lag. Sure it's not your internet connection? I'm not running Unleashed and I don't even have it installed on my SSD, just a standard 1TB 7200RPM drive.

32MB of RAM? That's really bad. :p

I have a i7-3770k running 32MB RAM, and a GTX 660 Ti FTW+ and I have everything maxed out with no lag. Sure it's not your internet connection? I'm not running Unleashed and I don't even have it installed on my SSD, just a standard 1TB 7200RPM drive.

Internet connection is running at about 3.5 mb/s (i think it's about 30mb down/ 4mbs up) and getting pretty solid ping times at about 18 - 25ms.

Edited by BlackSpin

I just got a new computer, and probably spent a little more than I should have. It's an i7 4900, dual GTX 780's SLI, 2 SSDs Raid 0 ('marked at 1100 mb/s.) I even installed SWTOR Unleashed and have ALL of the assets and DiskCacheArea running from my 32G of RAM...........and I still have to turn off bloom, set shaders to low, turn off Anti Aliasing because I still get LAG where FPS drops under 20 in the PvP, and the PvP area of the fleet. What else do I need to turn down to speed this up? Where the hell is the bottleneck?

Couple things.

Check drivers. YOu really shouldnt be having problems with the machine you have but there could be a bottleneck anyways.

After that, turn on the FPS meter (ctrl-shift-f) and tell me what color it is. If I remember correctly red means it is a rendering problem. Green means it is a processing problem. And yellow is a mix of both.

What other programs do you have running? Especially if this was a prebuilt machine, what crap did the manufacturer install that may be taking up resources

Run a graphics benchmark (the DX11 from 3dmark is a good one) and see what you are getting

If this is a prebuilt (and a laptop like the others think) that may very well be your problem.

Ha, oops!

I also run in Windowed mode with no issues. Is this a pre-built machine? Home built? I'd check and remove all the "bloatware" too. My motherboard installed all sorts of "accelerators" for USB, etc, that made my system much more stable once I got rid of them.

It's an Alienware - I checked all drivers, and they are up-to-date. Which FPS meter do you use, is there one that's built into the game? The only thing I usually have running is Spotify & Mumble... I'll download 3dMark right now (nevermind, I have to buy it... going to find the Haven benchmark I used before.)

Couple things.

Check drivers. YOu really shouldnt be having problems with the machine you have but there could be a bottleneck anyways.

After that, turn on the FPS meter (ctrl-shift-f) and tell me what color it is. If I remember correctly red means it is a rendering problem. Green means it is a processing problem. And yellow is a mix of both.

What other programs do you have running? Especially if this was a prebuilt machine, what crap did the manufacturer install that may be taking up resources

Run a graphics benchmark (the DX11 from 3dmark is a good one) and see what you are getting

If this is a prebuilt (and a laptop like the others think) that may very well be your problem.

Edited by BlackSpin

It's an Alienware - I checked all drivers, and they are up-to-date. Which FPS meter do you use, is there one that's built into the game? The only thing I usually have running is Spotify & Mumble... I'll download 3dMark right now.

nvidia and Dell? So sorry for your loss. :t_frown:

It's an Alienware - I checked all drivers, and they are up-to-date. Which FPS meter do you use, is there one that's built into the game? The only thing I usually have running is Spotify & Mumble... I'll download 3dMark right now (nevermind, I have to buy it... going to find the Haven benchmark I used before.)

Unfortunately, Alienware is not what they used to be and you may not get what you want from that machine.

However use, there is one built in. When in the game just hit (ctrl-shift-f) and it will be a little number on the bottom left corner.

For future reference. Highly recommend http://www.originpc.com they were started by the alienware founder(s) and is what alienware was before Dell ruined them.

Edited by ninjonxb

Ok in game now... PvP area of the fleet. When I pan around in circles using the arrow key I get around 50fps when I'm facing away from the majority of the players and under 25 when they come into view and the color is mainly red when that happens.

Good tip about Orginpc, but the trigger has already been pulled... maybe in a few years when I'm ready to spend another $4500, haha.

Unfortunately, Alienware is not what they used to be and you may not get good performance out of that machine.

However use, there is one built in. When in the game just hit (ctrl-shift-f) and it will be a little number on the bottom left corner.

For future reference. Highly recommend http://www.originpc.com they were started by the alienware founder(s) and is what alienware was before Dell ruined them.

So all you guys that talk smack against Alienware have you ever owned one? I have a Alienware laptop and have no problems with it.

Dell is the side that's going under. Don't automatically link that to Alienware because they own them.

As to the OP I would check your drivers and the Nvidia Control panel, check to make sure SLI is enabled.

Ok in game now... PvP area of the fleet. When I pan around in circles using the arrow key I get around 50fps when I'm facing away from the majority of the players and under 25 when they come into view and the color is mainly red when that happens.

What you're describing here is bad optimization when multiple characters are being rendered.

Edited by Narciuss

Good tip about Orginpc, but the trigger has already been pulled... maybe in a few years when I'm ready to spend another $4500, haha.

Really, I'd just recommend against using a laptop to game.

Also -- as a heads up, you generally cripple yourself when running SLI/XFire. It isn't as good as you think, and is sometimes (like with SWTOR) worse than a single card.

I have:

i7-3770k @ 3.5GHz

MSI TwinFrozr 7870

32GB G.Skill Z Series (DDR3 1600)

I'm running @ highest settings, with 30+ FPS everywhere, generally above 60 FPS though. Sometimes the fleet stutters a bit, though.

If the color is red, your GPU is the bottleneck. Try disabling SLI (if possible) and see how that affects you.

So all you guys that talk smack against Alienware have you ever owned one? I have a Alienware laptop and have no problems with it.

Dell is the side that's going under. Don't automatically link that to Alienware because they own them.

As to the OP I would check your drivers and the Nvidia Control panel, check to make sure SLI is enabled.

Have you ever owned a REAL Alienware? The junk they are releasing now for the insane pricetags can't hold a candle to the original Alienware.

Really, though, gaming laptops are rarely great choices. You pay more than you should for an underpowered machine.

This game is not optimized. I don't care what anyone says. You can have the best computer available and get lag.

And I play on an Alienware and have no problems but I don't PvP. Admit it, this game engine is terrible. If you can't all see that, you've got blinders on.

Edited by AlaricSevGirl

nvidia and Dell? So sorry for your loss. :t_frown:

And there is the second time you've mention NVidia.

NVidia drivers blow AMD out of the water. Then add in the basic specification of the NVidia cards.

There is a reason why NVidia cards grace the very top of the performance charts. They may not win on the price/performance charts - but for sheer power and driver stability they far exceed anything AMD can bring to the table.

Yup, SLI is on, running version 311.48. PhysX proccessor is set to Auto-Select. Is there a recommended way? Use CPU, or dedicate one of the video cards to do it?

I think everyone took a warzone queue, there's about 6 people here and it's pretty solid at 55 - 60 fps now. This is frustrating.

Edited by BlackSpin

Have you ever owned a REAL Alienware? The junk they are releasing now for the insane pricetags can't hold a candle to the original Alienware.

Really, though, gaming laptops are rarely great choices. You pay more than you should for an underpowered machine.

Define real Alienware laptop?

Mine is the M18X R2, SLI 680m, 16gb Ram, i7 3920XM @ 3.33Ghz.