The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How do you do so much DPS?

knell

This is from a ranked WZ. PT was running AP with Ion Cylinder.

http://i.imgur.com/d7j102Y.jpg

You realize that is not really all that much Damage Per Second? There are classes who according to sites such as TORParse that are capable of getting 3,000+ Damage Per Second... the Gunslinger/Sniper, and Marauder/Sentinel, are chief among these classes.

You realize that is not really all that much Damage Per Second? There are classes who according to sites such as TORParse that are capable of getting 3,000+ Damage Per Second... the Gunslinger/Sniper, and Marauder/Sentinel, are chief among these classes.

you don't judge the entire group on the top 1%. 1450 dps is very respectable damage, especially in such a nerfed class as powertech.

lol you realize those are PvE parses and totally irrelevant to DPS in PvP.

you don't judge the entire group on the top 1%. 1450 dps is very respectable damage, especially in such a nerfed class as powertech.

Are we using the Top 1% to refer to the Sniper/Gunslinger Class itself, or more specifically to the people who are regularly pulling DPS figures between 2,500 (Assassin) to 3,800 (Sniper) across all the classes?

lol you realize those are PvE parses and totally irrelevant to DPS in PvP.

You have no way of knowing if someone who used the TORParse website to upload a Combat Log which tracks their given DPS on a given class actually fought in a PvE battle or in a PvP battle. Simply because TORParse does not differentiate between such things.

Edited by XantosCledwin

You have no way of knowing if someone who used the TORParse website to upload a Combat Log which tracks their given DPS on a given class actually fought in a PvE battle or in a PvP battle. Simply because TORParse does not differentiate between such things.

...I do have a way of knowing, because I'm not *********** retarded and I can read the Combat Log. *gasp*

...I do have a way of knowing, because I'm not *********** retarded and I can read the Combat Log. *gasp*

Okay, your right, I was mistaken, the TORParse does in fact list the enemy that is being fought. And yes. Most (if not all) of the Parsing displayed on the Star Wars the Old Republic DPS Leaderboards was in fact done against an Operations Training Dummy. But what you have failed to realize is that the Operations Training Dummy is scaled to have exactly the same resiliance (in terms of being able to resist attacks) as a level 55 Operations Boss. Whether or not this is a legitimate estimate of the amount of DPS a person can do when facing down a Nightmare Mode Boss is another matter.

That said, posting TORParse DPS Results against the Warzone Training Dummy would be fruitless... mainly because Warzones feature people of multiple gearing schema. Even Rated Matches are going to have people in them with sub optimal gear who will thus throw off the parsing data.

Heck, using the DPS as listed by the game itself is unreliable because it is an Average DPS across the entire match. It does not represent your DPS against a single target... and it is thrown off if you are Node Guarding. You could have the best DPS in the world against one or two targets, but because you only fought one or two targets during the entire match, your DPS at the end of the match will be lower than anyone elses. The record that is given by the game at the end of matches is not a legitimate Parsing Log. You need something that turns off when your not engaged in combat in order to determine what you are actually parsing at.

So no, 1,500'ish is not a respectable DPS, at least not at level 55 when compared to classes that specialize in DPS. Especially when you consider that the person in question was not the highest ranking person on their team when it comes to medals which are primarily achieved by defeating enemies in combat. In fact there was a Sith Warrior (likely a Jugg) on that team who had more medals than the Powertech in question. Whether these medals were achieved solely from DPS I don't know, but I do know that he probably earned a fair chunk of them by defeating more opponents than the Powertech did.

Edited by XantosCledwin

Okay, your right, I was mistaken, the TORParse does in fact list the enemy that is being fought. And yes. Most (if not all) of the Parsing displayed on the Star Wars the Old Republic DPS Leaderboards was in fact done against an Operations Training Dummy. But what you have failed to realize is that the Operations Training Dummy is scaled to have exactly the same resiliance (in terms of being able to resist attacks) as a level 55 Operations Boss. Whether or not this is a legitimate estimate of the amount of DPS a person can do when facing down a Nightmare Mode Boss is another matter.

I didn't 'fail to realize' anything. You're the one who isn't getting it. PvE DPS =/= PvP DPS. PvE DPS you're sitting there attacking 1 target for 5+ minutes straight. PvP you go minutes at a time without hitting anything. He died 6 times in the screenshot. He might've had a full door and spent 30 seconds per death doing nothing. That lowers DPS, obviously. PvErs also use gear with better stats and have access to offensive adrenals that skyrocket your Power or Crit. No PvPer has 3k DPS. You started talking nonsense about PvE parsing and tried to compare it to DPS in a PvP match and are wrong.

Heck, using the DPS as listed by the game itself is unreliable because it is an Average DPS across the entire match. It does not represent your DPS against a single target... and it is thrown off if you are Node Guarding. You could have the best DPS in the world against one or two targets, but because you only fought one or two targets during the entire match, your DPS at the end of the match will be lower than anyone elses. The record that is given by the game at the end of matches is not a legitimate Parsing Log. You need something that turns off when your not engaged in combat in order to determine what you are actually parsing at.

Thank you for invalidating your own original point that 1450 dps in a warzone is low, because you've seen PvEers parse 3k. The dude has the highest DPS out of anyone in a ranked game against Don't Panic, one of the best rated teams in the world. That means his DPS is great, and far better than anyone you know can do under the same circumstances, I guarantee it.

So no, 1,500'ish is not a respectable DPS, at least not at level 55 when compared to classes that specialize in DPS. Especially when you consider that the person in question was not the highest ranking person on their team when it comes to medals which are primarily achieved by defeating enemies in combat. In fact there was a Sith Warrior (likely a Jugg) on that team who had more medals than the Powertech in question. Whether these medals were achieved solely from DPS I don't know, but I do know that he probably earned a fair chunk of them by defeating more opponents than the Powertech did.

Look at the detective over here. Yes, Mr. Holmes, the Warrior was in fact a Juggernaut. See the fact that he has protection more than zero? Note that Marauders can't guard or taunt to give said protection? Deduction. Let me make this easy for you, since there's no need to speculate. Notice the Juggernaut's kills? 12. Notice the Powertech's kills? 14. Which number is greater? Who defeated more opponents? There you have it. The juggernaut has more medals because he got a 6k biggest hit medal, the 90k healing medal and probably some kind of protection per life medal. That's 3 more than the PT has. The medals are 15 to 12. How much difference is that? :o Three!

Math is fun, kids. More soon from The Count. Watch Sesame Street and stay in school.

Edited by Aetrus

This is from a ranked WZ. PT was running AP with Ion Cylinder.

http://i.imgur.com/d7j102Y.jpg

The conditions of the wz made it possible to reach these numbers, skill apart:

Voidstar (people tend to gather at the doors, making AOE more efficient, FT & probably Flame Sweep for the PT)

+

Length (1st door was passed only 1 time [score= 1-0], hence people spending lots of time at the doors) + Spec durability (AP spec innate defense + Ion Cell)

+

Healing ( 3,5M healing on both side mean people stay longer in the fight to inflict and receive dmg)

=

potentially lots of dmg & protection

Edited by ceelaniri

Look at the detective over here. Yes, Mr. Holmes, the Warrior was in fact a Juggernaut. See the fact that he has protection more than zero? Note that Marauders can't guard or taunt to give said protection? Deduction. Let me make this easy for you, since there's no need to speculate. Notice the Juggernaut's kills? 12. Notice the Powertech's kills? 14. Which number is greater? Who defeated more opponents? There you have it. The juggernaut has more medals because he got a 6k biggest hit medal, the 90k healing medal and probably some kind of protection per life medal. That's 3 more than the PT has. The medals are 15 to 12. How much difference is that? :o Three!

Math is fun, kids. More soon from The Count. Watch Sesame Street and stay in school.

And you good sir, have just lost all priveleges to participate in this discussion. Ad Hominems are not a valid debate tactic. They are in fact a Logical Fallacy, and would get you disqualified from a professional debate. I was writing a nice reply to you, but now I will ignore everything further from you.

i dont think he use ion cell in this game, 150k is possible with only taunts and no guard in a full voidtstar

use pulse canon on cd and always have guts up on 1 or 2 targets, with the right rotation and good healers even higher dps is possible

1800 dps as tactics vanguard

http://www.pic-upload.de/view-20165871/Screenshot_2013-07-24_16_07_42_926133.jpg.html

sry for my bad english

Edited by Luckyluzi

And you good sir, have just lost all priveleges to participate in this discussion. Ad Hominems are not a valid debate tactic. They are in fact a Logical Fallacy, and would get you disqualified from a professional debate. I was writing a nice reply to you, but now I will ignore everything further from you.

so youll just ignore how you were proved wrong because someone was a little mean in an online forum? cause you know, that never usually happens.

ive done a few operations, if you have a good tank, the DPS can just sit there whacking away at it while hardly taking damage, with at all competent healers. there is such a difference between the two that i dont get why you bothered comparing them in the first place. waiting on enemies to respawn, waiting on your own respawn, running back and forth to and from objectives, time spent guarding unattacked objectives, the list goes on and on, whereas in pve its just know the fight, then run up and hit things.

Edited by jedcjedcjedc

Lol...Nothing I said to you in that last post there was ad hominem. I never attacked you personally. Nor is it a logical fallacy, but an informal fallacy. Sarcasm doesn't qualify as ad hominem. And I would have been much nicer if you hadn't come into the thread spouting irrelevant misinformation as fact.

Anyways, per the OP, I'd love for Vullesh to come in here and share what the hell he was doing in that WZ, because its damn impressive. You said he was full AP, but running in Ion Cylinder? My biggest question would be whether he took Neural Overload and Ion Overload or if he took Hyper Fuel instead. Hmm. Seems like it'd be hard to stick on people if you're running AP but not in High Energy for the movespeed boost.

so youll just ignore how you were proved wrong because someone was a little mean in an online forum? cause you know, that never usually happens.

No, I ignore people who engage in ad hominem attacks. In other words attacks against my intelligence. That is not a valid method of debating someone's point of view and I will not be party to it.

ive done a few operations, if you have a good tank, the DPS can just sit there whacking away at it while hardly taking damage, with at all competent healers. there is such a difference between the two that i dont get why you bothered comparing them in the first place. waiting on enemies to respawn, waiting on your own respawn, running back and forth to and from objectives, time spent guarding unattacked objectives, the list goes on and on, whereas in pve its just know the fight, then run up and hit things.

My point was that in Operations, you generally kill the majority of opponents in a time frame faster than 5 minutes. And it is only the really tough Operation Bosses who can occasionally take longer than 5 minutes to beat. And even then the DPS may or may not be continuously attacking the Operation Boss. There might be mitigating factors in Operation Boss fights set up as conditions for how you have to defeat the Operation Boss, take for example Xenoanalyst II from the Gree Event. It would be very difficult to just sit there and beat on him for 5 minutes straight and assume you will win the fight.

Lol...Nothing I said to you in that last post there was ad hominem. I never attacked you personally. Nor is it a logical fallacy, but an informal fallacy. Sarcasm doesn't qualify as ad hominem. And I would have been much nicer if you hadn't come into the thread spouting irrelevant misinformation as fact.

You attacked my intellect, instead of arguing against the topic I raised in that paragraph. So yes, that is in fact an ad hominem.

As far as spouting misinformation. I don't think I have. The only reason that the DPS in Warzones is so low, is because as you have rightly surmised, the combat between people in Warzones takes place only in very short bursts of time over very long matches. So really the average DPS tracking device that is used by the game itself just cannot accurately represent what is actually happening.

If however someone were to take the time at level 55 to actually hammer out 5 minutes of parse information against the Warzone Training Dummy, the Operations Training Dummy, or any other ingame opponent that is strong enough to survive being attacked for a full 5 minutes without killing the player... then the DPS would be much higher.

Your entire problem is that you are claiming that DPS such as what those parsers in the top DPS thread is impossible to achieve in a Warzone Setting. My claim is that 1,500 DPS on average over the course of an entire Warzone is not that impressive. HOWEVER. If we were to take that same Powertech and pit him against a Training Dummy for 5+ minutes... I imagine his DPS would be closer to the 2,500 to 3,000 mark. I will admit that much.

1500dps in pvp is high but easily explained.

-virtually stalemate voidstar

-very little taunting going on to cripple dps

-extremely hard to kill spec which has 30% resistance to aoe and further 30% to everything if stunned plus using tank stance for even more mitigation

-healers up his *** and those of his targets

-AOE spec

So loads of almost immortal targets, being almost immortal itself and flinging AOE about.

A smasher will do the same thing except its not quite as durable in a constant battle. It is however far better at actually finishing people off.

And XantosCledwin you started in here with incorrect information and it's not really getting better with all these walls of text with little substance or relevance to the OP.

Edited by Gyronamics