Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Will 4 v 4 WZ use groupfinder?

UltimateKrucible

Seems to me that everyone is jumping the gun saying: "Ohh 4 tanks v 4 DPS"

Is there any chance that the new arenas will in fact be accessed through the existing group finder? IE 1 heal, 1 tank, 2dps?

The system is already in place, and queing for an FP is pretty short on my server (TOFN). Assuming that's the same everywhere, who's to say this isn't the plan?

I say this because, with the current builds, 4 heals v 4 dps would be unworkable. Surely this has been factored into the thinking behind these arenas?

i seriously hope not.

the last thing we need is for people to start crying about premades in 4v4 arena

Of course there will be premades in 4 v 4. Bioware has shown it gives zero funks about the premade issue.

What I mean is that 4 v 4 will have forced team composition, like FPs - 1 tank, 1 heal, 2 dps.

Edited by UltimateKrucible

Of course there will be premades in 4 v 4. Bioware has shown it gives zero funks about the premade issue.

What I mean is that 4 v 4 will have forced team composition, like FPs - 1 tank, 1 heal, 2 dps.

They better not force team composition. By taking away the players ability to pick their own team comps you're taking away the versatility of using different classes that might not be usable in forced comp arenas. If you want 4 assassins on a team, then you should have the ability to do that. If you want 2 healers instead of 1, same thing. Versatility of team comps is what keeps arenas interesting in the first place. By forcing 1 tank, 1 healer and 2 dps, Arenas would get boring soooooo fast it wouldn't be funny.

Matches will also be alot longer with forced team comps too. With the ability to chose classes in WoW, some matches would be over in a minute or two, while others lasted much longer. Usually the longer ones were equal teams with the same healer/tank/dps set ups. The shorter ones were with more dps and less tank/heals on one or both teams. And the whole "what about 4 healer teams" is a bs arguement imo. In WoW, you would only run into a team like that once every 100 games or more. No one wants to sit in 45 minute heal fests, including those full healer teams. Doesn't happen that often at all.

And if they don't allow premade groups why call it arena in the first place? It needs to have team comp/strats. If not, they should just be calling it 4v4 wz's.

Edited by Trevormortis

This made me lol.

As for the required comp, WoW did something similar, so don't think swtor will do it, at least not until a few years go by, once wow removes it for failing, then swtor will prob implement it. Because SWTOR succeeds where WoW fails! (kinda)

Why is it terrible? This will take many of the premades out of regular WZ's and put them here in arenas....This should make all reg-stars happy. Now there will be (esentually) a premade que (Arena) and a reg wz que (solo). Whats not to like?

Because you will basically exclude the vast majority of the PvP population. It will also devolve to the point of ranked as the same 2-3 four mans will win every Arena. If they did this they will just repeat every mistake they ever have concerning ranked.

Seriously, isn't this obvious?

Edited by Kawiki

RWZ is 8v8, at a highly competitive level on the base maps.

arena will be TDM on smaller maps built around 4v4. assuming arenas will also be competitive, this gives RWZ teams that cant field a full 8 something to do other than roll into regs in a 4-man.

that is what people have been crying for right? a way to get the big bad premades out of regs?

RWZ is 8v8, at a highly competitive level on the base maps.

arena will be TDM on smaller maps built around 4v4. assuming arenas will also be competitive, this gives RWZ teams that cant field a full 8 something to do other than roll into regs in a 4-man.

that is what people have been crying for right? a way to get the big bad premades out of regs?

On the majority of servers Ranked does not even exist. The arena will be in practically the same state if they exclude the largest segment of the population. The Big Bad Premade (BBP) is an issue, more so on some smaller servers, Arena's will do little to solve the issue in regs even if Arena are group only.

Because you will basically exclude the vast majority of the PvP population.

You mean like what they did with ranked wz's? Because everyone does that..../sarcasm

This is just a smaller scale of ranked. Yes it's not for everyone, but you need a solid pvp foundation, and arena is part of that.

And its not like pve patches do anything for pvp and vice versa, yet Bioware still does that too.

This is all part of a well rounded game. Yes, everyone will not like everything added for others, but it is still needed to create a solid game that can last through time.

Even though us arena folks may be a smaller piece out of the pvp pie, we have been wanting this since pre-release. And it's about time we get it.

On the majority of servers Ranked does not even exist. The arena will be in practically the same state if they exclude the largest segment of the population. The Big Bad Premade (BBP) is an issue, more so on some smaller servers, Arena's will do little to solve the issue in regs even if Arena are group only.

the majority of servers are PvE servers....

i still do not understand why people come to the forums and complain about PvP population on a PvE server... :rolleyes:

you know where there arent PvP population issues? on PvP servers

the majority of servers are PvE servers....

i still do not understand why people come to the forums and complain about PvP population on a PvE server... :rolleyes:

you know where there arent PvP population issues? on PvP servers

ummm yeah, I'm on PoT5 :rolleyes:

It does not matter, it is stupid to exclude the majority of the (Edit) PvP population on any server.

Edited by Kawiki

ummm yeah, I'm on PoT5 :rolleyes:

It does not matter, it is stupid to exclude the majority of the (Edit) PvP population on any server.

I would argue that not adding arenas excudes people that want to do more than WZ's. Having only 1 facet of pvp does not help the pvp community as a whole.

I would argue that not adding arenas excudes people that want to do more than WZ's. Having only 1 facet of pvp does not help the pvp community as a whole.

To be clear, I'm for Arenas, against making them (premade) group only.

To be clear, I'm for Arenas, against making them (premade) group only.

Ahh, gotcha, my mistake, I wouldnt be opposed to having the option to solo Q for arena, just as long as they know they will probably get their asses handed to them by a premade.

Ahh, gotcha, my mistake, I wouldnt be opposed to having the option to solo Q for arena, just as long as they know they will probably get their asses handed to them by a premade.

Yeah it would be the same situation, or potentially worse, as it is now in regs. Ideally a matchmaking sysytem would be put in place but us PvPers realize that is probably a pipedream.

Ill be honest.

I don't understand the point/benefit of a 4vs4 warzone. Less lag?

This is my first MMO and ill be honest again, tor has me thinking it will be my last

It's NOT going to be objective based, so the last team standing will win. All Wzs are objective based.

group finder is useless in a WZ/Areana environment. 12/16 ACs are hybrid, meaning they can easily trick the queue system by queueing as tanks when they're really dps or heals instead of dps or vice versa.

to further complicate the matter, hybrid specs are far more applicable to everyday use in pvp than pve. I've thought about a grp finder utility for WZs, but it's just way too easy to be abused. it will only serve to make wait times longer for ppl who don't abuse it.

It's NOT going to be objective based, so the last team standing will win. All Wzs are objective based.

So it is safe to assume that the winning team will have 4 operative healers? There is a reason why death match will not work with the current game classes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.