Newbie seeking help with Lethality rotation pretty please

OcTwenty

So im new to snipers and just hit 55 ive been MM up until now but i like the look of Lethality better but im so confused, there so many spells and im confused over which to use and which not to. Could anybody please give me an idea of a rotation and a list of the spells i dont actually need pretty plz? ty lads.

If you're just learning to play sniper at 55, maybe stick with Marksmanship, its a lot easier to play. Ill put in a Lethality rotation, but you should know there is a hybrid spec that outperforms full Lethality atm, but there's plenty on that here if you're interested:

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/imperial-agent/sniper/lethality/talent-build

Basic Marksman rotation:

Shatter Shot > Series of Shots > Followthrough > Target Acquired > Series of Shots > Followthrough > Snipe x 2 > Followthrough > Ambush > Followthorough > Shatter Shot / Rifle Shot / Corrosive Dart > Start from Begining

If Target Acquired is on cooldown, skip that and the second Series of Shots > Followthrough combination.

It might sound complicated, but with a bit of practice that rotation is a lot easier than the other specs imo.

Of course Orbital Strike needs to be worked into that rotation, but if you're just learning then it won't matter too much, until you take it into endgame pve.

Basic Lethality Priorities:

Because the energy management of Lethality is a bit harder than Marksmanship its easier to look at this as a priority list. With Marksmanship its unlikely you'll run out of Energy so it's easy to stick to a rotation, but Lethality can be tougher. Remember to stay above 60 energy as much as possible, unless you have Adrenaline Probe available.

1. Shatter Shot

2. Corrosive Grenade (to refresh dot when it wears off)

3. Corrosive Dart (to refresh dot when it wears off)

4. Cull (only when the both the dots from Corrosive Grenade and Corrosive Dart are on the target).

5. Series of Shots.

6. Snipe with Laze Target.

7. Ambush

8. Explosive Probe.

9. Snipe without Laze Target.

10. Rifle Shot (if below 60 energy).

Of course Orbital Strike needs to be worked into that priority list, but if you're just learning then it won't matter too much, until you take it into endgame pve.

Preparing for people to flame me for noob rotation and being terrible at life.

Edited by I_Sithed_MyPants

A things about this last reply....Noxxic is garbage. Don't use it. Also basic MM rotation:

Keep SS up - Ambush - FT - CD - (OS - AP/RS) - SoS - FT - (SV - SoS - EP - FT) Snipe - Snipe -FT

Lethality is pretty easy unlike he said and managing energy is easier than 36/3/7 MM. MM is better for pve, and Lethality for most PvP unless you're doing ranked. The general rotation for 2/8/36 Lethality is:

Keep SS up - (OS) - CG - CD - WB - Cull - TD - (EP) - SoS - (RS if energy low) - Cull - TD

That priority stuff is bull crap. Just do the standard 2 cull rotation. You can use RS at any point in both specs, but not too much maybe not more than 2 times a rotation if that, I would try to stay at 1. The places where I put RS are just reccomended places. Remember keep OS on CD if MM use SV with it and both specs use AP after it and save AP for that if it is up (every 2 OS). Use TA whenever possible, and adrenals. If on MM use laze snipe on cooldown with snipe.

If you are in PvP with lethality a good idea is to put DoTs on one target..cull, TD, and SoS, then switch targets put DoTs, cull, TD, Ambush..use snipe next in line if SoS is not up...that makes dots on several targets with some burst DMG and does a lot of DMG in warzones.

I hoped this helped and good luck!!

If you're just learning to play sniper at 55, maybe stick with Marksmanship, its a lot easier to play. Ill put in a Lethality rotation, but you should know there is a hybrid spec that outperforms full Lethality atm, but there's plenty on that here if you're interested:

Basic Marksman rotation:

Shatter Shot > Series of Shots > Followthrough > Target Acquired > Series of Shots > Followthrough > Snipe x 2 > Followthrough > Ambush > Followthorough > Shatter Shot / Rifle Shot / Corrosive Dart > Start from Begining

If Target Acquired is on cooldown, skip that and the second Series of Shots > Followthrough combination.

It might sound complicated, but with a bit of practice that rotation is a lot easier than the other specs imo.

Of course Orbital Strike needs to be worked into that rotation, but if you're just learning then it won't matter too much, until you take it into endgame pve.

Because the energy management of Lethality is a bit harder than Marksmanship its easier to look at this as a priority list. With Marksmanship its unlikely you'll run out of Energy so it's easy to stick to a rotation, but Lethality can be tougher. Remember to stay above 60 energy as much as possible, unless you have Adrenaline Probe available.

1. Shatter Shot

4. Cull (only when the both the dots from Corrosive Grenade and Corrosive Dart are on the target).

5. Series of Shots.

7. Ambush

8. Explosive Probe.

Of course Orbital Strike needs to be worked into that priority list, but if you're just learning then it won't matter too much, until you take it into endgame pve.

WTH???? Not even any weakening blast? That is just crap copied from Noxxic. That doesn't even give you a rotation. DO NOT use Noxxic forum OP. Lol.

And Ambush should be ahead of lazed snipe cause lazed snipe causes you to plum it in energy level, If you even need something else than SoS, TD, or EP that's not good. And yeah this doesn't mention TD or EP on cool down so this is also pre 2.0 outdated.

Edited by MasterJacer

Basic Marksman rotation:

1. Shatter Shot

5. Series of Shots.

7. Ambush

8. Explosive Probe.

Lethality most definitely has a base rotation. It's basically

CG - (1.5 sec filler) CD - weakening blast - cull - (filler) - cull - Repeat

Between the dots, either TD or rifle is usually used as filler. It really hasnt changed in a long time,except since 2.0 takedown is used a lot more and the filler choice is a bit more dynamic

Edited by Infalliable

Ambush can, especially if you don't get a lethal takedown proc to use in the filler phase you can SOS - ambush. This was standard pre2.0. You want to use SOS on a higher priority with lethality

Snipe's dpe is too low. It's just way too inefficient, even with laze target IMO.

Edited by Infalliable

Ambush can, especially if you don't get a lethal takedown proc to use in the filler phase you can SOS - ambush. This was standard pre2.0. You want to use SOS on a higher priority with lethality

Snipe's dpe is too low. It's just way too inefficient, even with laze target IMO.

^This. Don't take advice from the first person or Noxxic. Snipe takes way too much energy, and even though ambush takes nearly as much during the cast it regains most of it back.

Until you get your 4pc bonus you may use ambush. However, once you get your 4pc set bonus you'll stop using ambush.

Your basic rotation with the 4pc set bonus:

Corrosive Grenade-Corrosive Dart-Weakening Blast-Cull-Takedown-Series of Shots-(1.5s filler)-Cull-Takedown

Ambush takes too long to fit into the open filler spot you have, and doesn't do enough damage (as opposed to, say, Orbital Strike) to justify delaying cull. If you have an abundance of energy you can fit a lazed snipe in the filler spot, and it's also where you'll use the armor debuff, but I wouldn't recommend trying to fit ambush there.

Edited by namesaretough

Thanks for all your help lads, im starting to get the hang of it now. Is there a large dps difference between using spine/ambush in the rotation and not using them? Also is there much of a difference between the trees on single target/aoe?

Until you get your 4pc bonus you may use ambush. However, once you get your 4pc set bonus you'll stop using ambush.

Your basic rotation with the 4pc set bonus:

Corrosive Grenade-Corrosive Dart-Weakening Blast-Cull-Takedown-Series of Shots-(1.5s filler)-Cull-Takedown

Ambush takes too long to fit into the open filler spot you have, and doesn't do enough damage (as opposed to, say, Orbital Strike) to justify delaying cull. If you have an abundance of energy you can fit a lazed snipe in the filler spot, and it's also where you'll use the armor debuff, but I wouldn't recommend trying to fit ambush there.

Yes, you don't want to use either LS or Ambush at all normally, but what I was saying is if your target switches or something, and SoS is down for some reason, Ambush would be the desired filler. This really applies more in PvP where you want to switch targets a lot and throw ambush in. But yes normally in filler you would do (TD - SoS - EP or RS). EP increases DMG and with thtat 1.5 secs is able to fill in. When it is down you want to always use RS there, LS is bad option.

Thanks for all your help lads, im starting to get the hang of it now. Is there a large dps difference between using spine/ambush in the rotation and not using them? Also is there much of a difference between the trees on single target/aoe?

Um neh as I just mentioned you only use Ambush in special circumstances and snuipe never, so neh. EP in the filler on cool down could add 50-100 DMG just like you use it in MM. Idk what your next question exactly is..but what I think it is is

MM: Only single target really

Engineering: Only AOE reallly, single target on fat bosses

Lethality: Single target, is able to DPs boss while focusing adds though, and is very aoe viable in PvP

Hybrid: Mainly single target, some aoe benefits thrown in from Engi making it one of the best specs

Best single target in PvP : burst/objective wise MM, higher DMG wise Hybrid

Best Aoe in PvP: burst/objective wise Engi, higher DMG wise Lethality

Best single target in pve: MM on bursty, Hybrid on bosses with adds and that are tank/spank

Best aoe in pve: Engi for trash or something full aoe, but in pve bosses are not like this and when it is closest to aoe situation Hybrid hands down.

Anyways for you it is best to go with MM in pve and Lethality in PvP....simple as that. Lethality has some bosses in pve, but mm is a good way to go. In huttball or AH until you learn Hybrid MM is a good way to go. Eventually Hybrid for all pvp, and maybe a lot of Pve.

Sorry if I contradicted myself here some, probly did lol.

MasterJacer thanks for your contribution, if its not to much trouble can you link this hybrid spec im hearing so much about so i can a little look. thanks again.

It is basically up to cull in lethality and int probe/cluster bombs in engineering. Works good for single target but is slow on target swapping. Bursts very hard with setup (cg, cd, & ep then cull). If there are a lot of target swapping I like mm better.

In terms of rotation it is basically the same as pure lethality with int probe instead of weakening blast and no lethal takedown.

Last I looked at Noxxic, the ONLY spec they put up was the hybrid spec, and they just labeled it "Lethality", so I can see how that would confuse anyone. I don't think anyone who actually plays swtor updates Noxxic :p

I disagree with the statement that MM ans for PVE and Lethality is for PVP. I've always played Lethality in PVE. It's just a matter of preference in play style. I've played all the specs at some point, I tend to like to stick with full Lethality because it just has a nice flow to it, even if the hybrid can reach higher numbers if played right.

Last I looked at Noxxic, the ONLY spec they put up was the hybrid spec, and they just labeled it "Lethality", so I can see how that would confuse anyone. I don't think anyone who actually plays swtor updates Noxxic :p

I disagree with the statement that MM ans for PVE and Lethality is for PVP. I've always played Lethality in PVE. It's just a matter of preference in play style. I've played all the specs at some point, I tend to like to stick with full Lethality because it just has a nice flow to it, even if the hybrid can reach higher numbers if played right.

It is a playstyle, but it also is a fact that on dummies MM parses higher than lethality. Some bosses can go either way.

And OP it seems your question's been answered before I got on..but as the 1st person said it is 5/18/23. Lethality is more fun, I agree with that, but generally Hybrid does more dps in pve and PvP. Once you practice Lethality, you can look at the basic rotation. Don't look unless you have lethality down cause then stuff could become confusing and hard to manage energy. The filler part is also more variant and harder.

IP - CG -CD - Cull - Fillers ( EP on cool down, SoS, maybe ambush if EP on cool down and time left, or RS.) - Cull

EP is crucial to this and can also be placed before rotation. It creates cluster bombs to explode. Dots, 2 culls, and other filler abilities between culls other than EP are SoS or ambush (RS too possibly).

Ask any questions you have, cause some of the stuff I said I know was confusing. I don't get some of what I said. XD...

Edited by MasterJacer

Thanks for all your contributions guys, the sniper community is by far the best on the forums. Ive tried leth and MM now, so far i like the style of Lethal but ive not tried full Engineering yet so ill give that go now. Would anybody mind giving me an idea of the rotation for that? and how is it on energy management compared to leth and MM? thanks alot lads.

Thanks for all your contributions guys, the sniper community is by far the best on the forums. Ive tried leth and MM now, so far i like the style of Lethal but ive not tried full Engineering yet so ill give that go now. Would anybody mind giving me an idea of the rotation for that? and how is it on energy management compared to leth and MM? thanks alot lads.

Eng unfortunately has the least defined rotation of the specs. It has a lot of longish cool down abilities (although not as much as it once was) so you end up with a less clearly defined rotation. Paowee has a sticky on this forum that will get you started.

Energy management isn't bad since you can instantly finish the adrenaline probe cool down when needed.

Compared to the other specs it better at aoe and against large slow/immobile bosses. The key to high dps is good use of scatter bombs.. It's also good for objective denial in pvp

Edited by Infalliable

To OP

Personally i love all 3 sniper specs, i would experiment with all the specs to find what exactly suits you,

Currently i am running full leth spec, didnt like hybrid too much so personal choice i went full leth, the dps is still good, i can pull 1.2-1.5 mill damage and im far from best.

I also dont tend to use ambush/snipe that often when you can have a orbital strike placed on a nice objective getting loads of them.

i wud consider suggestion u buy field respec on ya legacy well worth it, i find marksman is the king for huttball but yet again its personal choice. good luck :)

For PVE:

Shatter Shot > CG > CD > WB > Cull > Explosive Probe (Target Acquired inside Global Cooldown) > Series of Shots > Takedown > Cull > Takedown > re-apply dots > Cull > Takedown > Series of Shots > Rifle Shot > Cull > Shatter Shot

For when you have Orbital Strike and Adrenaline Probe up:

CG > CD > WB > Cull > Orbital Strike > Explosive Probe (Adrenaline Probe inside Global Cooldown) > Takedown > Cull > Takedown >re-apply dots.

Only use Orbital Strike when you have Adrenaline Probe ready to go.

Use Explosive Probe after casting Orbital Strike. Removes the 1.2 second delay from Cull's cooldown so you dont have to use rifle shots.

Use Explosive Probe when you have Target Acquired up. Going Cull > Explosive Probe (Target Acquired inside Global Cooldown) > Series of Shots > Takedown > Cull > Takedown allows you to have two (2) Takedowns, 1 Series of Shots, and 1 Cull all benefiting from the armor penetration from Target Acquired.

So im new to snipers and just hit 55 ive been MM up until now but i like the look of Lethality better but im so confused, there so many spells and im confused over which to use and which not to. Could anybody please give me an idea of a rotation and a list of the spells i dont actually need pretty plz? ty lads.

Dude, there are TONS of guides out there in forum. Dont understand why ppl like to start the same issue and ask the same question over and over again. What a plague

Edited by X-Boson