Can't hold a lightsaber properly?

xMrTickle

• 3 weeks later...
Jedi gaurdians can't..... im depressed as sith warriors use one hand and look cool as... jedis look retard as **** and akward holding there light saber with 2 hands...

2 hand on hilt is the standard for holding a single blade for Jedi Knight/Guardian where as the Sith Warrior is ready to use their Iconic Force Choke every time.

It might look less cool but that's how you would hold a sword in the real world if you were serious about fighting with it. The juggernaut stance is unrealistic: to parry and attack from that stance you need to cover double the amount of space, which means double the amount of time. In a life and death scenario that is a risk not even an idiot would be willing to take. if you have only one weapon, both your hands should be on it, no matter if it's a sword or a gun. Leaving a hand just hanging around isn't gonna do you any good.

Of course in our universe you could argue that one hand is ready to use the Force (even though the Force should be guided by the mind, hands are just a visual aid)

Guardians have the intelligent wield, Juggernauts have the cool wield. Personally i prefer the Jugg stance since it's just a game we're talking about, but don't be so ready to dismiss the guardian stance as "unproper", since that is how to properly hold a sword.

Edited by Kawabonga

Ironic thread considering it's the Juggs who have terribly bad combat stances. They hold the lightsaber with one hand, lazily behind them, leaving their body vulnerable to attack.

Imagine a boxer who went into the ring with his hands down at his sides. He'd look like a complete moron. Complete lack of proper mechanics, and just asking to get owned.

Also, I'm guessing by your post that you haven't seen any of the movies. All the Jedi, and even Count Dooku and Darth Vader, hold the lightsaber properly in front of them like they are PREPARED to fight. Not like the Jugg, who looks like he's pulling a wagon behind him.

What's "cool" about looking like you're tugging a wagon while you run?

And don't get me started on the way Juggs swing their lightsaber. Guardians look properly trained in swordplay. Juggs look like they're swatting flies and chopping wood.

Edited by Taelizalde

What's "cool" about looking like you're tugging a wagon while you run?

It's not "cool", it just all right. And guardian's running looks silly, because he is holding a lightsaber as if it was heavy, like a real sword, while it is not. So I'd better tug a wagon rather than carry the Olympic torch.

Yep, guardians might be doing it right from the practical point of view, and a real warrior would probably hold a sword like that, etc. But guess what? :) It's a game, and if I have to choose between a realistic, but ugly thing and not quite unrealistic, but normally looking thing, I'll choose the second.

Edited by Yria

It's not "cool", it just all right. And guardian's running looks silly, because he is holding a lightsaber as if it was heavy, like a real sword, while it is not. So I'd better tug a wagon rather than carry the Olympic torch.

Yep, guardians might be doing it right from the practical point of view, and a real warrior would probably hold a sword like that, etc. But guess what? :) It's a game, and if I have to choose between a realistic, but ugly thing and not quite unrealistic, but normally looking thing, I'll choose the second.

I always sheathe my lightsaber when running.

You seem confused my friend. The topic is titled, "Can't hold a lightsaber properly," not, "Can't hold a lightsaber like an uber kewl anime character."

And about your second statement. Guess what? Star Wars is Star Wars, and the wagon-tugging idiotic run isn't 'realistic' EVEN FOR THAT.

Maybe the children think it's "cool" and all, but remaining on topic: Fact is, Sith do it wrong, and look like untrained idiots at the same time :)

Hope that's easy enough for you to follow :)

Edited by Taelizalde

You seem confused my friend. The topic is titled, "Can't hold a lightsaber properly," not, "Can't hold a lightsaber like an uber kewl anime character."

In case you didn't notice the question of looks was discussed here even before I came to this topic. So no, I am not confused, my friend. But you do seem to forget that sometimes discussions tend to go away from their actual title.

And about your second statement. Guess what? Star Wars is Star Wars, and the wagon-tugging idiotic run isn't 'realistic' EVEN FOR THAT.

Nope :rolleyes: It's absolutely all right, because it is Star Wars ...which is practically a space fantasy that doesn't always dwell on realism. Especially so in case of this particular game. You want an example? Jugg's running is nothing in comparison to a scrapper scoundrel boxing sith lords and giant war droids to death. If smugglers are allowed to do that and have no problems with so-called realism, why should guardians (or anyone else) bother with it?

The people who are mocking The Wraths lightsaber stance just got killed....because they underestimated him. The Wrath does have a lazy laidback style...and that's exactly what he plays on to deceive his opponents and then tear them apart.

The Wrath was designed to be very cunning while giving off the appearances of a brute...he lets everyone underestimate him until its time for him to show off and show them exactly who they screwed with.

Throughout his story time and time again...people underestimated what he could do with a select few ever seeing his true potential.

Laugh at the Wrath all you want....in the end he is the one left standing. ;)

* PS I like the Wraths stance more than the Guardians because it lets you see more of the Lightsaber than the Guardians stance does.

I think the Jedi hold it the way a lightsaber should be held, it is like the Samurai, which is only held properly by two hands. Gives control, balance, force. Using one hand is only for agression and/or having a free hand to do other things as others have said like choke or punching etc. I like the Guardian stance, it is the most real Jedi stance in the game... imho

I actually hate the way my Jugg holds the lightsaber. It's supposed to be a weapon of finesse, not a club. They swing it like a caveman.

I have a Jugg and a Sentinel, and now I'm kicking myself and wish that I had done it the other way around and rolled a Guardian and a Marauder instead.

The Guardian is actually holding his Saber the right way, the Stance is called Jedi Ready.

Ready Stances

While all the lightsaber forms had their own unique opening and ready stances, a number of positions were standard to lightsaber combat in general.

Jedi Ready

Having much in common with the Ataru guard, the Jedi ready was the most common stance among Jedi. The dominant foot was held back, with the blade in a vertical parry position on the dominant side.

Defensive Neutral

The differences between the Defensive Neutral and the Jedi Ready were negligible. The blade was still held in a parry position on the dominant side, though the feet were evenly spaced rather than one held back. This position was intended to provide the maximum amount of blade surface area for blast-deflection, and also to maximize it's visual impact as a warning.

Offensive Neutral

The feet were evenly spaced, with the blade pointed towards the enemy. The stance was intended to provide the minimum visual blade area for target and tracking.

Center of Being

The Center of Being was a stance used in lightsaber combat. It could also be used for meditation. The stance was used by members of the old Jedi Order. Users of this stance would hold the lightsaber horizontally, with the lightsaber hilt just below the chin.

And if you guys are interested, there are loads of information about Lightsaber Combat at Wookieepedia.

Personally, I'm more partial to the way Guards hold their weapons, as opposed to Juggs. On the other hand, I very much prefer Marauder combat animations to Sentinel animations (especially in Carnage spec).

I agree that Juggernaut swings their weapon like a cave man, and that's totally not appealing - at least if he's not wielding a gigantic Zin'Rokh, The Destroyer of Worlds two-handed star metal blade of doom. Guard, on the other hand, keeps himself much less exposed, his attacks much more technical and collected.