Why the lack of underwater content?

Ayelinna

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the intense illogicals of firing a blaster underwater or using any sword (normal or lightsaber) underwater is not worth the gain (what would the gain be anyway?).

Force lighting and telekinetic skills wouldn't work. The whole combat would be dmapened by the medium water... and most people agree, that the combat in SWTOR is already slow enough and doesn't need to be slowed down any further.

If however you are talking about just venturing underwater and then fighting in dry caverns or installations underwater, then it is nothing but a fancy scenery and fine.

Modified blasters can be used underwater, most lightsaber work underwater.

Combat would be slower, yes, but its still logical in the sw universe.

A few battle come to mind:

Battle of Mon Calamari (Clone Wars)

Battle of Mon Calamari (Civil war)

Battle of Mon Calamari (Yuuzhan vong invasion)

Genocide on Dac (Legacy Era)

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Explain to me how the following abilities will work in an underwater or 3d setting, one that has no floor nearby.

-kolto packs, medical packs, kolto missile

-death from above

-orbital strike

-sweeping blasters

-Death Field

-Revivification

-any abilities i may have missed that are either a GT heal or GT damage

Who says they have to?

Yes, let's bring back that horrid environmental suit system. Worst part of that game.

No i meant KOTOR 1 had underwater content. I hated the slow suit thing. But i would love there to be at least something underwater...even if its just an underwater base with windows showing fish swiming around or something, everything just seems to be either in space or above ground.

So your solution for abilities that cant work because there is no ground to target is basically "oh well". Awesome solution, i'll have to write that down on a notepad and store it in my circular file. :rolleyes:

No...the solution is to use an entirely different set of abilities that are unique to the ocean environment and completely unrelated to the ones in game now.

Modified blasters can be used underwater, most lightsaber work underwater.

Combat would be slower, yes, but its still logical in the sw universe.

A few battle come to mind:

Battle of Mon Calamari (Clone Wars)

Battle of Mon Calamari (Civil war)

Battle of Mon Calamari (Yuuzhan vong invasion)

Genocide on Dac (Legacy Era)

That's a lot of fish people battles. Doesn't say much for non-fish races battling underwater.

Writers in videogames are usually very careful about making sure they do not unwittingly telegraph a game system to players through in-game cutscenes, codex entries, or any of the other means through which they relate story. To have two separate creative departments agree and give the got-to for the use of these "oceanic allusions" is about as far from happenstance as it gets.

I'm sorry, but anyone who fails to realize this isn't quite with the program.

Again...read what I'm saying. You believe that they mentioned water in two cut scenes...that they had or have plans for vast under water content. Even though the devs since day 1 have said the opposite...yet you can't counter that because my toon has a great cult, who he controls...and is supposed to get gifts from and lead...doesn't mean that there is supposed to be a political mechanic in the game.

No i meant KOTOR 1 had underwater content. I hated the slow suit thing. But i would love there to be at least something underwater...even if its just an underwater base with windows showing fish swiming around or something, everything just seems to be either in space or above ground.

I figured that's what you meant, but I still think my point has validity :p

But to your point, underwater environment weren't something that were that big in Star Wars. There were some, but it's a small minority of the genre. More pressing and relevant to the actual Star Wars IP is getting space working the way it should IMO.

This would be a cool idea.

a zone that occurs underwater, but not actually in the water. Something where the environment contains large numbers of windows you can see out of in the environment.

Travel could also be a chance to show of the environment as you would be required to use either the travel points, or a special underwater speeder.

Again...read what I'm saying. You believe that they mentioned water in two cut scenes...that they had or have plans for vast under water content. Even though the devs since day 1 have said the opposite...yet you can't counter that because my toon has a great cult, who he controls...and is supposed to get gifts from and lead...doesn't mean that there is supposed to be a political mechanic in the game.

It could mean that. Are you talking about the Inquisitor?

It could mean that. Are you talking about the Inquisitor?

Was trying to be vague, but yes, of course I am. Also, of course it doesn't mean that there was or will be a political side game. I could also say that it meant that there was going to be TBS or RTS elements with it. Maybe full Civ style politics and war. I'd be completely wrong of course...but I could.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, sometimes dialogue is just dialogue. Just because you see something in the background, doesn't mean you were supposed to nor will ever get to go there.

Also not to mention what would happen to the armor sets we're wearing. Presumably the Trooper and Bounty Hunter armor sets are airtight but every other class would need to wear a special underwater armor set or risk drowning. So what happens then? If the underwater armor is moddable, then rip out every mod from your normal armor for 250.000 credits every time you go underwater? If the underwater armor isn't moddable, then lose all your stats? Just look at how the special helmet was implemented that is required to survive the Hoth GSI heroic quest. You lose all of your stats from that piece as long as you're wearing it.

Was really boring and a real hassle in Rift and was done in a real illogical way.

(completely unable to estimate the position of the enemy, melee being pretty much shafted, fire skills working absolutely without a problem under water...)

Magical fire is magical.

Never played Rift but based on the setting I am assuming that these fire skills are spells, unless they carry around flame throwers.

:cool:

Magical fire is magical.

Never played Rift but based on the setting I am assuming that these fire skills are spells, unless they carry around flame throwers.

"Spells or spell-like effects with the fire descriptor are ineffective underwater unless the caster makes a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level). If the check succeeds, the spell creates a bubble of steam instead of its usual fiery effect, but otherwise the spell works as described. A supernatural fire effect is ineffective underwater unless its description states otherwise."

"Spells or spell-like effects with the fire descriptor are ineffective underwater unless the caster makes a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + spell level). If the check succeeds, the spell creates a bubble of steam instead of its usual fiery effect, but otherwise the spell works as described. A supernatural fire effect is ineffective underwater unless its description states otherwise."

That's from Rift?

Different creators of magical worlds set different rules for how magic works. Just because D&D has certain rules doesn't mean a MMO styled after it will use them.

That's D&D, I'm guessing.

That's from Rift?

Different creators of magical worlds set different rules for how magic works. Just because D&D has certain rules doesn't mean a MMO styled after it will use them.

D&D is a big part of my roleplaying game past :D

So when ever I get into nerd debates about how things work we check if D&D had a rule for it.

Underwater content doesn't exist because there's absolutely no budget for it. They can only afford to develop items with the current textures, map plans, etc. This is why we get small updates like a flashpoint here, or a heavily instanced planet there. Unless EA gives BW the budget to do it, we're kinda stuck.