The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Chat Panel no longer fading

Screaming_Ziva

Since the previous posting about this was incomplete and under an ambiguous title I'm reposting. Pardon the moderate duplication.

Since the recent patch (2.2.2) the chat panel has two issues:

Alpha settings default to 100% each time the character zones to a new area. It can be temporarily fixed in Preferences -> Chat by setting the panel alpha to any number and then back to the preferred percentage. I.e. from 0% to anything between 1-100 then back to 0%. That "fix" must be applied every time the character zones to a new area, however (i.e., from Dromund Kaas to his/her ship) as doing so reverts the alpha to 100%. It does not adjust the settings in Preferences but acts as though it was 100%.

In addition, the chat text no longer fades, either over time or when entering a cutscene. Though the temporary fix for the panel's alpha resolves that portion of the chat window, the text remains visible at all times. The same fix can be applied as above - changing chat preferences to not fading and then back to fading - but is also overwritten when zoning to a new area.

Edited by AlyoshaCephas

Someone should be very embarrassed by this one. How could the patch be tested and no one noticed this?

They did test it and it was noted on the Known Issues as soon as they were updated. They probably just felt that it wasn't a big enough problem to hold up the roll out.

I'm really more concerned about the Planetary Comms capping out at 80/100. I've already lost 4 Comms because of that. The chat window isn't sending my rewards to the void. And that is not on the Known Issues list.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

Someone should be very embarrassed by this one. How could the patch be tested and no one noticed this?

That answer is simple. NO ONE TESTED IT. hahaha

This bug is VERY annoying. Fix ASAP please. :(

Edited by SOULCASTER

I'm hoping they can hotfix this because it is extremely annoying...

They aren't going to. Did you not see this?

Hi there!

This is actually a new bug with Game Update 2.2.2, but it's on the Known Issues now and we're planning a fix for 2.2.3. Thanks for the reports!

:ph_cheers:

Get used to it.

It's going to be around for at least a few weeks.

This is a really annoying bug. Like people have said--how does something like this get through into a patch?

This lowers the quality of life for every player of every class; how does this not warrant an immediate fix?

Someone said there was a work around. Go to Preferences. Go to Chat. Uncheck Chat Fade. Set percentage to higher level. Apply. Recheck Chat Fade. Reset Percentage to 0%. Apply.

I haven't tested it but according to the other poster this should fix the issue.

It is certainly very irritating and frustrating :( when I set the chat panel fade and alpha fade slider, then after the loading screen on a different planet, ship, flashpoint and even warzone the chat panel frame returns and will not disappear as intended. The general idea of the chat panel fade and alpha fade slider is to allow the chat panel frame to disappear so it would not clutter up the screen. Hope to see this fixed soon. Edited by Romaeus

Update: Workaround

Go to Preferences.

Go to Chat.

Uncheck Chat Fade.

Set Alpha to anything higher than 0.

Click Apply.

Recheck Chat Fade.

Reset Alpha to 0.

Click Apply then click OK.

I tested this and it does work as long as you are in the same instance.

Whenever you zone it will reset however, making it most annoying for Raiders and PvPers whom zone more frequently.

For others, doing this when you start a new planet will fix the chat window until you leave that planet or log off.

Edited by Blackavaar

this really need a hotfix, its very irritating.

your chat win functions and design are not that impressive, I have to create 4 separate wins.

now with this bug, I got 4 annoying wins hindering my view all the time, unless I have to manually reset it everytime the zone is loadad.

plz, a HOT FIX

Have you heard of Bolster? There was a multitude of known bugs, some game breaking, that were verified on the test server, FOR MONTHS .. They still pushed it live .. I highly doubt they care about chat windows not fading .. LOL I had to hit CTRL U x2 for a month just to PvP each time ..