Gear check For Group Finder, becoming a necessity.

There is a gear level associated with Hard Mode Flashpoints (Level 55) in Group Finder - Item Rating 148. There is also a gear level associated with Hard Mode Flashpoints (Level 50) in Group Finder - Item Rating 126. There is also a gear level associated with Story Mode Operations (8 Players) in Group Finder - Item Rating 126 for 50's and 156 for 55's.

Those should be enforced by the tool.

The tool is there for the randoms who otherwise couldn't find a group because they are guildless of undergeared.

The tool is acting as intended: it finds a group for those who otherwise could not.

Those who feel they are so good and so geared to reject the main group finder's target audience, should just bring in their friends, guild mates. Or harden up and accept that by using a tool for guildless, undergeared players, they risk ending in a group of guildless and undergeared players.

Edited by Vaerah

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gear requirement is excessive. I have seen people go through 55 hard modes with half of their gear lower than basic gear.

I do not believe the answer is to lock people out when I know it can be done.

Edited by Truami

The gear requirement is excessive. I have seen people go through 55 hard modes with half of their gear lower than basic gear.

I do not believe the answer is to lock people out when I know it can be done.

Thats because most of the encounters can be 2-3 manned if they are properly geared. I drug a sorc with 16k HP through Cadm once. Got all the way through it. Other guy had 25k HP. My friend had 32k and I had 38k. We pretty much 2.5 manned the entire instance. Wiped several times and ran up about 100k repair bill.

I didnt kick the player cause I didnt have the heart to. Gear Check woulda saved me alot of time and credits.

Edited by Warshades

Why not just implement a gear check on the part of the players? That way, we personally can see where our gear stacks up and whether it meets the minimum gear requirements for that flashpoint? As someone who doesn't have a lot of time to play, I'll admit to being a little clueless on what I should be looking at when I'm trying to determine if I have the right gear or mod levels.

The tool is there for the randoms who otherwise couldn't find a group because they are guildless of undergeared.

The tool is acting as intended: it finds a group for those who otherwise could not.

Those who feel they are so good and so geared to reject the main group finder's target audience, should just bring in their friends, guild mates. Or harden up and accept that by using a tool for guildless, undergeared players, they risk ending in a group of guildless and undergeared players.

It's not elitist. It's pragmatic.

BWEA designed those instances with those gear levels in mind. Can a well-geared group of 3 CARRY an under-geared schlub through? Probably? Should they HAVE to? No.

Plus it's simple enough to get the gear by running dailies or "less-than-hard-modes". Not having the right gear (and spec for the role you choose!) is expecting others to carry your sorry behind and therefore lame and pathetic and inexcusable and the game should prevent it.

In the case scenario I presented in the thread. I heavily doubt I could've vote kicked 3 people out of the pug, being myself the only ****er there with the required gear on.

That may be the case, but regardless of any scenarios the time has long passed for a gear check system. The game is far to casual now and this type of system would not be appropriate for the game IMO.

It's just my slant. As one can see from this thread, if this thread is any measure, it is not an uncommon view.

Wouldn't it be much simpler if the game just wouldn't let people queue for stuff they don't have the gear for? There are already gear requirements associated with instances. The UI shows them to you. It should enforce them by making the checkbox for the instance unavailable if you're not wearing appropriate level gear with appropriate stats for your role.

I totally agree. You see under geared people everywhere right now. Specially with all the double xp weekends. People are out leveling their gear at such a pace that they don't even bother to replace it. They ding 55 and que right up looking to fast track their gear. Problem is, not every group is filled with people in all 72's ready to carry them. :(

Edited by AidanLightwalker

I would much rather there be more incentive to run HM flashpoints, so more experienced and geared players participate more, as opposed to restricting undergeared players from queueing. As it is, the only thing a geared player gets out of flashpoints is 12 ultimate comms doing 3 of them for the weekly. It is extremely easy to become Elite comm capped.

A reputation for flashpoints would do the trick.

Edited by DarthBuckets

I would much rather there be more incentive to run HM flashpoints, so more experienced and geared players participate more, as opposed to restricting undergeared players from queueing. As it is, the only thing a geared player gets out of flashpoints is 12 ultimate comms doing 3 of them for the weekly. It is extremely easy to become Elite comm capped.

I gear alts like this so fast. I have 3 lvl 55s that only do group finder hm for the ultimate comms. When they amass a ton of elite comms, I buy gear for the other alts and send it to them via legacy gear. My smuggler healer was darn near in half 69s before ever stepping 1 foot into lvl 55 hm because of this. Helps me fast track them for operations lol.

Some good points were made here in favor of a gear check.

My toons are always considered OVER-geared for any FP that I would dare to enter.

I just like to be prepared.

I would hope that the devs could find a way to introduce a simple "Pass/Fail" system

of gear checking to the Group Finder. No leet kids pointing to numbers.

A "bolster" type system for PVE ? Remember "naked bolster" ? People would just halt

any attempts to upgrade gear.

Someone just needs to find a way to implement a "Skill Check" to the group finder ...

So, as has been stated in this thread, if a guild chooses to carry an undergeared DPS through an instance to get them some gear, they should not have that option if they fail the gear check?

Just go in normally then. That was hard.

No, no it wouldn't.

I tank and heal and I'm pretty good at it. I have the patience to teach new people if they want to learn. It's actually pretty rare that I get to do any teaching.

Reputation won't convince me to subject myself to hellish runs. Actually, nothing could convince me to subject myself to hellish runs. I'll vote kick if one player is misbehaving. If the vote kick fails or it's more than one, I'll simply drop group.

What would help flash points be better experiences for all involved would be for everyone to smarten up and play nicely together. Play the role you queue for correctly. Have the minimum level of gear required to run the flash point. If you don't know, speak up long before the pull starts.

You know, the simple stuff.

This thread is a crock, I rarely (if ever) see under-geared players in HM 55's. It's usually just the opposite, a bunch of over-geared, hateful elites.

Good for you. For some dark reason I also seem to find far better PUGs while tanking.

This is kind of crap tends to happen to me only when I'm hitting DPS.

Gear check is what RUINED World of Warcraft. Period. End of story. MMO's should be about including people in fun, not finding ways to exclude them. If they add GEAR CHECK to this game as a requirement, I'm done. It caused more arguments and bad feelings in WoW than anything I have seen in my personal gaming history, going back to UO. Edited by johnduane

Gear check is what RUINED World of Warcraft. Period. End of story. MMO's should be about including people in fun, not finding ways to exclude them. If they add GEAR CHECK to this game as a requirement, I'm done. It caused more arguments and bad feelings in WoW than anything I have seen in my personal gaming history, going back to UO.

Have you ever done a level 55 hard mode flash point?

If yes, have you ever done one in which you are the tank or healer and the OTHER role has no gear better than a level 45 blue?

I'm guessing not.

You can't patch bad manners and poor comprehension away, folks.

You want to improve your communities? Get your super self and your super pals together and start hosting in-game community events to educate people on the simples of being useful in a flashpoint.

See wut I did thar? You can already address this issue yourselves! Speak up, speak out and teach those you can. Don't wait for nooblets who're terrified of being jeered to death for admitting any ignorance of anything at all to ask for help; that'll be a rare occurrence indeed.

Get out there and teach people how its done. Heck, make a guild out of it.

There, I solved the problem. Do as I suggest and even if you succeed only marginally, you'll still accomplish more than Bioware can, or ever will, in trying to patch stupid.

You can't patch bad manners and poor comprehension away, folks.

You want to improve your communities? Get your super self and your super pals together and start hosting in-game community events to educate people on the simples of being useful in a flashpoint.

See wut I did thar? You can already address this issue yourselves! Speak up, speak out and teach those you can. Don't wait for nooblets who're terrified of being jeered to death for admitting any ignorance of anything at all to ask for help; that'll be a rare occurrence indeed.

Get out there and teach people how its done. Heck, make a guild out of it.

There, I solved the problem. Do as I suggest and even if you succeed only marginally, you'll still accomplish more than Bioware can, or ever will, in trying to patch stupid.

You can't teach those unwilling to learn. If they're willing to learn, this proposal will not impact them at all. DUCY?

You can't teach those unwilling to learn. If they're willing to learn, this proposal will not impact them at all. DUCY?

Not true on the latter point. WIllingness to learn doesn't automatically commute into learning.

I see a lot of people complaining that people are bads and should feel bad in loud, obnoxiously public ways. Why don't they put their action where their ragefingers keep going and put some real effort into teaching others? There are some here on the forum that've done so with their guides and guild-made how-to FP/Op videos and such. USE those things. Link people to them, take the time to explain if they'll give you the time to listen. Get people fired up to be excellent.

Y'know, community junk so many that howl about how precious community is don't seem to be able/willing to demonstrate any understanding of.

Start a trend. Help make it cool to be awesome in group content.

Or don't, and Bioware will be no more able to patch stupid than they were under any other configuration of circumstances irrespective.

Edited by Uruare

Joined a HMTC group and saw 3 26-27k HP join the group. We wiped wth him enraging so I took my 35.7k BH and skeedaddled....happening more and more in ops. Now I don't leave the area till I see some decent HP numbers.