To avoid a bad launch they cause a bad launch

darthbored

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Between WoW, AOC, and Rift. This is easily the worst launch.

Yeah..you were obviously not at WoW launch.

And wall of text guy..quoting other people. The very fact that in that wall of text..you stated that the Early Access should have been separated by Ce...DDE..and Normal editions of the game, is in itself hypocritical of the very point you trying to make. You would rather have them limit the amount of people allowed into early access even more than they have?

This is very much a server stability test. Some people seem unable to grasp exactly how it works, so I will explain.

You have..lets say..10,000 people on the first day..on one server. They can then look at their server and go.."Oooh..this is server is suffering from (lag..disconnects..etc.)" They then use this algorithm thing to find out how the servers would deal with..lets say...30,000 people.

They wait all night..and take down notes..they make sure that the server can last without needing to be shut down..or without collapsing on itself.

Doesn't this make more sense than starting off with..30,000 people on a server and risking a collapse..never being able to figure out what exactly the maximum threshold really was?

WoW had the worst launch in history..because they underestimated just how many people played..and how long those people played..and strained..their servers, until the collapsed and the game became unplayable for weeks.

current cause? .. they dont have a bad launch yet, from the people I am talking to that are in now it is the best and smoothest launch of an MMO ever.

^this

Don't be raging because other people pre-ordered and redeemed earlier than you and because EA/Bioware is doing exactly what they said they were going to do with staggered access.

Except for those of you who got gibbed by pre-ordering at a 3rd party retailer and then didn't receive your codes till later. You guys go and rage at the respective vendor who gibbed you. Hint: that would be the 3rd party vendor.

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out. ! !!! !

So much stress? AHAHAHAHA your an idiot.

Yeah but you got to save your names which is the only issue I have with this staggered Launch. I was one of those screwed over by Gamestop Pre-orders on the 21st. I did not even intend to preorder when I went in, I was just browsing for a new game to play and was pleasantly surprised to see I could preorder for a Star Wars MMO. I knew nothing about the game but pre-ordered the CE since it was Bioware's rep. I unfortunately did not get my code until August 8th and was on camping trip when it arrived so I did not get it in until August 10th.

So I am annoyed at not being able to save 1 name for myself. This should have been done like guild launch so the special 100k people that got in today could not steal 4 to 8 names from the community by saving them on alts that most likely will never be played.

Staggered approach is a good idea, EA/Bioware executed it poorly.

I hope to get in sometime this week just to save a name to enjoy with folks from my community who will be playing together. The rest of you can rush past content and escape cutscenes to be the first to have nothing to do at endgame waiting for everyone else.

Pretty much this. Even though some of us bought the game on the 21st, we didn't get our codes until later, due to no fault of our own. I entered mine on the 27th after finally getting it, but I didn't get in on the first day of EGA. And names are kinda a big deal for MMOs.

Yet only those who pre-ordered from July21 to July 27 have access.

That's 6 days.... They've got 120 more days of pre-orders to hand out.

Likely because that was the initial rush after first announcement. Those numbers would be huge.

We will start seeing entire months over the course of a day after today (which has been stated).

Later orders will get in by the weekend. If you get in even a few hours prior to launch ... it is still early access.

Personally, I think it was a bad choice for bioware to stagger access, because it does give an unfair advantage over other players.

Having said that, it's not the end of the world.

Unfair advantage? What are they looking to "win"?

They bought it first, they get in first.

This is an MMO. We all have the same advantage. If you get in the door 3 days later it still takes the same amount of hours to level. They don't get some special prize and level faster or anything.

Today has truly made me sad and cynical, and on levels far beyond some stupid game.

I am sad that this is what we gamers are: a million-member pile of entitled spoiled brats yelling at McDonalds because they served someone in the front of the line before us.

I'm truthfully saddened.

+1 Fantastic post.

Don't be raging because other people pre-ordered and redeemed earlier than you and because EA/Bioware is doing exactly what they said they were going to do with staggered access.

This.

I don't get it. BW explained what they were going to do half a year ago, you all agreed to this by buying the pre-order. They are doing exactly what they said they were going to do and now it's all QQ? Get a life.

Also, learn to read. A little patience goes a long way too.

Well, according to the launcher and EA, the game has launched.

I think you are mistaken.

It clearly states on the front page of the SWTOR official site, right this moment:

STAR WARS™: THE OLD REPUBLIC™ APPROACHES HYPERSPACE LAUNCH

All Systems Go for Launch on December 20 with Early Game Access Program* Beginning December 13 for those who Pre-Ordered

Austin, Texas – December 7, 2011 – After successfully concluding one of the largest-ever Beta tests for an MMO, BioWare™, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS), is now making final preparations for one of the biggest entertainment launches of the year as Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ reaches stores on December 20, 2011 in North America and on December 15th in Europe.

Nowhere does it say the game has launched. This is early access. There is a serious reading comprehension issue with parts of this community.

Edited by Sudden-Impulse

If I compare ths first day of prestart with all other games I played this is by far the most disappointing. I haven't played the game at all today and I have absolutely no idea if I get inside the game tomorrow, thursday, friday, saturday or sunday.

Thats the same as the servers being down whole first day and the launch team announcing that the servers should be up sometime before the end of the week.

Its great for people that already play the game on servers that are fairly empty, it sucks for everyone else.

You don't know anything about what a bad launch is, son.

darth derogatory , you are not his father !:wea_03:

very disrespectful to use the word son at the end of a sentence, unless he really is.

anyways, back to the topic starter.

this launch isnt really bad , the direction they have chosen by staggered early access is not the greatest of idea's for an mmo's that is surely an understatement, yet what can we do ?