So stuck between Mara and Jugg. *Endgame* advice needed.

thecoffeecup

Yeah so this is one more of those threads, except I already know what the difference is and have tried the two. I am completely and utterly stuck. I have a mara and a sent and a guard and a jug, and I keep switching and just can't decide.

Before I focus on getting one to 55 and gearing up though, I wish I knew what to expect at endgame (since I am new, but not new to MMOs). Honestly, I *feel* that I want to go with a juggernaut for the 1 saber style and because I already like the Vengeance "rotation". I also would like to reserve the right to maybe tank in the future. The problem is, as a DPS, can I expect to be the second choice to a mara every time? It seems like guilds are recruiting maras and snipers mainly.

I see on the DPS charts that for top players, the difference between the classes is negligible (unless you are in really extreme cutting edge PvE progression). But perhaps these are just extremely "lucky" parses, more so than for the many maras who can get 3000, considering Vengeance is very much based on those ravage procs.

I'm not interested in playing a FOTM class. I just don't know SWTOR endgame yet and I don't want to be locked out because of my class choice.

Basically, I am hoping for the answer that yes, Vengeance is totally accepted and wanted in PvE, but I want the honest answer :)

Edited by thecoffeecup

It depends on the guild. I get no heat from my guild about running Jugg (though I am in the process of kitting out my sorc so I have a ranged option), but I still run into some ignorance when I'm pugging. In a raid setting, I also have no problem keeping up with the Marauders.

Honestly, a good player on any class will find a home without too much trouble. A good Marauder will just have a slightly easier time. ;)

Honestly, a good player on any class will find a home without too much trouble. A good Marauder will just have a slightly easier time. ;)

Yeah that's what I am hoping. I think I'm a dedicated player compared to most, and I haven't had much trouble in previous MMOs. I have played SWTOR for a while now though without really getting into endgame.

EDIT: Decided on juggernaut already.

Edited by thecoffeecup

My main is/was a jugg. I love it. Vengeance is a very nice spec to play, you have no rage issues at all now with 2.0 and have nice, sustained damage and some neat utilities like jumping to allies and taunting. The new saber reflect is pretty awesome as well.

You can do everything with a jugg, you can go to do nightmare raids, it works. But I still chose to reroll. Not because I was forced to do so, but because I wanted to. I just want to do more than a "nice amount" of damage, I want to get the most that I can and I feel like I can't do that with a Juggernaut. The playstyle is very straight forward, if you know it there isn't much you can do, really. Use your attacks and you're done. There isn't much thinking involved. You don't really have much choice and there isn't really much you can do wrong. It's nice, it really is. But I want more of a challenge and rerolled and I'm gonna see how far I'll come.

I am sort of in this position as well. I have a Level 50 Jugg that was my first character I got 50 back at launch that I haven't really touched much in the last 6 months and I am messing around with a marauder right now (around level 20). I have done healing and tanking on a couple different classes in the middle of then and now and wanted to mess around more with a DPS class. I kind of want to stick with the Jugg and go Rage spec (I have more fun in PvP right now) but parses on DPS Jugg's are way under the curve on most sights when compared to Marauders. How accurate are those numbers? Is it more because most people don't DPS with Juggs? I have been half inactive for the last few months so I don't know a lot when it comes to the newest updates and what they have done to balance out the damages between the classes. I have reading a bunch of different things but I am still catching up.

tl;dr - Is Jugg DPS really that far behind Marauders in PvP?

I am sort of in this position as well. I have a Level 50 Jugg that was my first character I got 50 back at launch that I haven't really touched much in the last 6 months and I am messing around with a marauder right now (around level 20). I have done healing and tanking on a couple different classes in the middle of then and now and wanted to mess around more with a DPS class. I kind of want to stick with the Jugg and go Rage spec (I have more fun in PvP right now) but parses on DPS Jugg's are way under the curve on most sights when compared to Marauders. How accurate are those numbers? Is it more because most people don't DPS with Juggs? I have been half inactive for the last few months so I don't know a lot when it comes to the newest updates and what they have done to balance out the damages between the classes. I have reading a bunch of different things but I am still catching up.

tl;dr - Is Jugg DPS really that far behind Marauders in PvP?

No. Jugg DPS in PvP is pretty damn good. Vengeance is a death sentence for a healer and Rage an AoE nightmare for a healer. Juggs have lots of utility with taunts, intercede and push among others. It all comes down to which class do you feel more comfortable using. I have both at 55 and I'm more comfortable with the Jugg. It feels, I don't know less frantic and flows better. On my marauder I always feel like I'm mashing buttons, but that's just me. For someone else it could be different

Edited by AGSThomas

No. Jugg DPS in PvP is pretty damn good. Vengeance is a death sentence for a healer and Rage an AoE nightmare for a healer. Juggs have lots of utility with taunts, intercede and push among others. It all comes down to which class do you feel more comfortable using. I have both at 55 and I'm more comfortable with the Jugg. It feels, I don't know less frantic and flows better. On my marauder I always feel like I'm mashing buttons, but that's just me. For someone else it could be different

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I could stick with my Jugg since it was my first character made I have an attachment to him. I've been trying to find info on the rotation may have changed for Rage since 2.0 but most of the threads I see are pre-2.0. Is there any big difference or maybe a link someone could drop me?

The problem is, as a DPS, can I expect to be the second choice to a mara every time?

If your raid leader doesn't know the ins and outs, yes. But if they do..then no. We have roughly equal performance from both classes on most fights.

• 2 weeks later...

juggernauts in PvP are just monsters. whether you're unkillable as immortal, a great single target dpser with best survivability compared to any other dps, or having best burst.in the game with rage. and ill take taunt over predation.anyday in the pvp setting. Sooooooooo many medals.

as for pve, for dps, rage can top dps charts in fights with lots of.adds. vengeance is awesome single target.dps and on the pts, I was within 100 dps of.my marauder everytime on.the dummy. Bis arkanian gear.

bottom line - if you want to roll a jugg, do it. don't be discouraged by marauder and snipers as.being the best dps choices. they should be, all they can do is dps.